PDA

View Full Version : Legal advise please!

nikbj68
10-05-06, 06:26 PM
Withouth being too specific, A competitor of my partner`s Estate Agents has set up several domains with names very similar to the other agents in the area(let`s say "housestore.com" becomes "house-store.co.uk") which direct to his site. Is this illegal, or just a clever, if a bit unethical, marketing ploy?

Maybe not the right place to ask, but I figured someone might know something on the subject!
Cheers,
Nik.

Happy Jim
10-05-06, 07:36 PM
Based on zero legal training or experience in the field....

I'd say perfectly legal but a little below the belt ethically - just plain unlucky!

Jim

mylesdw
10-05-06, 08:26 PM
...little below the belt ethically

This IS estate agents we're talking about; sort of shark eats shark really.

Why is it that estate agents feel the need to add the prefix 'real'?

nikbj68
10-05-06, 08:53 PM
This IS estate agents we're talking about; sort of shark eats shark really.

Why is it that estate agents feel the need to add the prefix 'real'?

EXCUSE ME! That`s my missus you`re talking about! ;) More like Shark eats dolphin, I`ll have you know!

Do Estate Agents here say 'real estate'? I wouldn`t want artificial estate though.:D

markieboy
10-05-06, 09:00 PM
Please put a parental warning sign up when using such vulgar language, fancy saying est**te ag**ts before the 9 .oo clock watershed!!!

Disgusted of Framlingham!!!

ps house sale fell through today!!!!!!!

Im allowed 2 b angry!!!

mylesdw
10-05-06, 09:01 PM
Sorry! no offence was meant to your nearest and dearest; these days the only things you can safely take a pop at are white male heterosexuals and estate agents.

Dolphin - does she do that thing with the hoop and the fish?

Yes, 'real estate agent' is more of an American term isn't it. I assume that most of them are fakes so some started using the prefix...

Wilburn
10-05-06, 09:04 PM
Hi Nik,

I think this website will answer your question.

http://www.nic.uk/disputes/

Paul

nikbj68
10-05-06, 09:06 PM
Hoops & fish? Yup. And she can affix limpet mines to the underside of enemy vessels too! (Blowhole references are hereby banned though!)

Markie, Sorry to hear about the house sale....hope you get it sorted somehow mate!

Myles, makes a change to not be talking Cobras when discussing 'real' or 'fakes' here!

markieboy
10-05-06, 09:10 PM
No worries!!!

Got th4e cob built and sva'ed with number plates!!

Must get ones priorities right!!

Regards

Markieboy

mylesdw
10-05-06, 09:14 PM
A quick look at the site that Wilburn posted shows that she may well be able to claim that the competitor has made 'abusive registrations' and get them removed. Others have been successful where people have registered mis-spellings of well known names and so on...

real, fake it's all the same; now, lets talk about 'continuation' estate agents...

nikbj68
10-05-06, 09:23 PM
Hi Nik,

I think this website will answer your question.

http://www.nic.uk/disputes/

Paul

Cheers, Paul... I`ll pass that on!

nikbj68
12-05-06, 03:59 PM
UPDATE:

The Cheeky Bu66er has had the "cease & desist" order from my missus`Boss, with thanks for the help from us.
The 'similar sounding' site no longer leads to his, and J`s boss will be pursuing transfer of the domain name, as there are many precedents.

Cheers everyone who responded, particularly Paul. :cool: :cool:

Wilburn
12-05-06, 04:00 PM
Glad you got it sorted :-)

Paul

dingocooke
12-05-06, 04:19 PM
Also, check his metatags, get on his site home page, find a blank, bit right mouse click, and select 'view source' if hes got your company name or unique products in any of his metatags without your permission, you can take legal action, although the threat of legals usually sorts this.

Welcome to the feeding frenzy.

My wife used to be an estate agent, fave joke?

Whats yellow and looks good on an estate agent?

a JCB...

mylesdw
16-05-06, 09:29 PM
An estate agent on Anglesey eh! What does she do when the house isn't on the market?