PDA

View Full Version : New use for that RAC "Registration look-up" !!

PeteV
14-05-06, 09:16 PM
Hey guys - just found another use for the RAC vehicle Data Search Facility :
http://www.rac.co.uk/web/carbuying/vehicle_data_search/

It's really good for finding out exactly what that unbadged BMW/Audi etc. was that almost surprised you earlier in the day !! Now I'm not talking in the Cob here, as that's generally no contest - but a little earlier I'd taken the old Rover Vitesse out just to keep her ticking over. Got stuck behind a horse box & an unbadged Beemer just on the approach to a favourite bit of bypass - the old boy in the BMW then proceeded to floor it somewhat. As I had intended to flush the cobwebs out of the Vitesse, I followed in hot persuit! Performance of the two seemed quite evenly matched which surprised me a little, since the Vitesse runs abouut 11psi boost & sports a very neatly ported cylinder head job courtesy of my good self! As the BMW's reg. was quite a memorable personal plate, I thought I'd tap it into the link above just for some fun. All was then revealed - Beemer was an '02 330i ! So, got to be at least around 240 BHP I suppose! Isn't it great when your ten year old runabout can still do this!
I should also point out that at no time was the statutory speed limit exceeded in any way, shape or form .....well...not by that much ;-)

Pete.

slogger
14-05-06, 10:09 PM

It's really good for finding out exactly what that unbadged BMW/Audi etc. was that almost surprised you earlier in the day !! Now I'm not talking in the Cob here, as that's generally no contest - but a little earlier I'd taken the old Rover Vitesse out just to keep her ticking over. Got stuck behind a horse box & an unbadged Beemer just on the approach to a favourite bit of bypass - the old boy in the BMW then proceeded to floor it somewhat. As I had intended to flush the cobwebs out of the Vitesse, I followed in hot persuit! Performance of the two seemed quite evenly matched which surprised me a little, since the Vitesse runs abouut 11psi boost & sports a very neatly ported cylinder head job courtesy of my good self! As the BMW's reg. was quite a memorable personal plate, I thought I'd tap it into the link above just for some fun. All was then revealed - Beemer was an '02 330i ! So, got to be at least around 240 BHP I suppose! Isn't it great when your ten year old runabout can still do this!
I should also point out that at no time was the statutory speed limit exceeded in any way, shape or form .....well...not by that much ;-)

Pete.

Just put my Cob's reg into the RAC data base.......................hmmm.

Green..ok, Sports..ok, Petrol..ok. Number of owners...fine, date I bought it in Nov 1993...yep. No model or manufacturers info and a manufacture date of 01 Jan 01..???? poss a default date.

Cob has a 1974 plate and reg. back in 1989 as a Jaguar Dax Tojeiro. This appears on my sorn cert.

Maybe it is a John Deere tractor after all Mr Dave Clarkson!

Robin427
16-05-06, 08:35 AM
I should also point out that at no time was the statutory speed limit exceeded in any way, shape or form .....well...not by that much

We're all European now and the Germans have no speed limits in places... I'd use that as an excuse the next time you get to 71mph... :D

SWP952
16-05-06, 09:50 AM
Just put my old sumo's reg in it, now on it's third owner! I only sold it August '04 (still regretting / missing it - But Dax should be on road in a year, or two! Whaa hoo!)

Cheers

Steve

tarmacscratcher
16-05-06, 02:57 PM

Got stuck behind a horse box & an unbadged Beemer just on the approach to a favourite bit of bypass -

Pete.

I think the beemer did rather well considering he was towing a horse box :)

h8jse
16-05-06, 08:12 PM
I think the beemer did rather well considering he was towing a horse box :)

not forgetting the two horses inside it:D

PeteV
17-05-06, 06:43 PM
Nice one guys! - Actually, Beemer had nothing on its tail - except me!

Pete

(and the only big horses anywhere about were under my bonnet !!!)