PDA

View Full Version : Bicycles at Le Mans 24hrs

David Large
23-05-06, 07:00 AM
I have been to the 24 hrs a number of times, but I have never camped within the circuit (I once camped on the cattle market site opposite the museum and that was enough to put me off camping). I have also always gone in my Cobra so the idea of taking bicycles has never arisen. This year like many of you I am going to the classic - I went to the first one in 2002.
Anyway to the point.
A friend of mine is going to the 24 hrs with some of his work colleagues; none of them have ever been before. They are (my mate thinks) camping within the circuit and they are hell bent on taking bicycles to get about. Now given the crowds there last year I just don't see the point......but has anybody else done this? I guess you could cycle to Arnage...but why.
I suppose once you have your car in the circuit, getting it out is a nightmare, I always park in the designated parking just across the road from the back of the start line grandstands so going anywhere is easy.
Any views on the use of having bicycles there?
Cheers

CycleSi
23-05-06, 07:17 AM
I think it is a fantastic idea !!!

I've got a bike shop and would happily offer a big discount to Cobra owners going to Le Mans. If you could arrange for 50,000 Brits to adopt your plan I might be able to afford my own drive there next year.

Seriously though, having been many times before, bikes are not really practical and would probably just end up being a hindrance.

mikey
23-05-06, 07:42 AM

I've got a bike shop and would happily offer a big discount to Cobra owners going to Le Mans. If you could arrange for 50,000 Brits to adopt your plan I might be able to afford my own drive there next year.

Seriously though, having been many times before, bikes are not really practical and would probably just end up being a hindrance.

Im with the above - if you get into the spirit of le mans, have you ever tried riding a bike after half a dozen bottles of Chateau ------ etc. You will get fed up with having to look after it and some paths around the circuit get just too choker.

Mike

plod
23-05-06, 07:16 PM
Im with the above - if you get into the spirit of le mans, have you ever tried riding a bike after half a dozen bottles of Chateau ------ etc. You will get fed up with having to look after it and some paths around the circuit get just too choker.

Mike

Might be better than driving after half a dozen nottles of Chateau Mike :D

kdavies3
23-05-06, 08:05 PM
we took bikes a few yearsa back and it was a pain in the arris,:mad:

It's too busy during the day not too bad at night though.

That was for the Main 24 hours not the Classic which isn't normally so busy.

Personally I wouldn't take a bike again

See you at the Classic :D

FatBoy
23-05-06, 08:12 PM
We've taken bikes on a couple of occasions (we camp in Maison Blanche next to the Porsche Curves) and we found them very useful. They were handy for popping up to the shops and we cycled round the circuit on Friday and again on Sunday immediately after the race, stopping on the Mulsanne Straight for a beer or two.
I wouldn't want to put anyone off the idea. Try it once and see how you get on and then you'll know for next time one way or the other.

Paul

dave.n
23-05-06, 08:56 PM
A lot of us blokes in the SE are taking our own bikes as the local ones are a little too dear and sometimes not that clean. Always use protection in foreign places whilst using bikes.
Couldn't resist

robert
23-05-06, 09:00 PM
A lot of us blokes in the SE are taking our own bikes as the local ones are a little too dear and sometimes not that clean. Always use protection in foreign places whilst using bikes.
Couldn't resist

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5753&stc=1&d=1148417978

he he he

David Large
24-05-06, 11:22 AM

I have 4 bicycles....I've done my bit for bike manufacturers / retailers.
Cheers,

mikey
24-05-06, 11:42 AM
Couldn't resist

:D :D

Look for Madam Fifis Boudoir. Its the big caravan next to the carousel that kicks up about 8.30 pm in the evening. A long line develops about 7.30pm. Take your own bar of soap though.
Mike