PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Cable Routing

lazyboy
18-06-06, 10:26 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone show me a pic of their cable routing from the handbrake back through the tunnel over the axle please. I have looked and tried but it just doesn't look comfortable over the axle.

I can see the front part of yours Dean but it cuts off the pic before the bit I was interested in LoL

:drive: Brmmm :D

steamyrotter
19-06-06, 12:46 AM
Hi All,

Can anyone show me a pic of their cable routing from the handbrake back through the tunnel over the axle please. I have looked and tried but it just doesn't look comfortable over the axle.

I can see the front part of yours Dean but it cuts off the pic before the bit I was interested in LoL

:drive: Brmmm :D

Al

Something like this possibly??

Cheers

Dean.

steamyrotter
19-06-06, 09:47 PM
As an addition though..

I replaced the half round bracket and the "bodged" sierra cable (had been cut in half and clamped with 4 bulldog clips. Didn't look very good and definitely not safe taking into account the way they made it!!) and replaced with a new sliding bar arrangement and a pair of Peugeot 106 1.5d SR2 handbrake cables.

Works a treat but the end ferrules on need slight filing to allow them to fit into the drums and shoe operating arm. This is minimal and does not affect the strength or operation.

They allow for a slight stretch in either cable as the actuating bar is allowed to 'wobble' as required.

HTH.

:thumb:

lazyboy
19-06-06, 10:33 PM
Cheers Dean

Mine will route something liek that too. I have Fiat discs on the rear and the cables will be handy to get sorted at the handbrake end.

Does the diff not hit them as they ride over it ? or are they attached to the chassis ?

AL

steamyrotter
19-06-06, 10:42 PM
Al

They are affixed to a bracket on the chassis (between the original brackets see piccie) and go above the diff. I have jumped on the back and it has not touched yet!! (haven't got a photo of that bit yet but when it's all back together i'll try to remember to take one.

I affixed the extra box section in to have somewhere to attach the cables as they cross to the sides and to keep them off the exhausts.

Cheers

lazyboy
19-06-06, 11:13 PM
Excellent mate cheers !!!

I'll have another play and see what I come up with :D

AL

Deck
05-07-06, 03:30 AM
As an addition though..

I replaced the half round bracket and the "bodged" sierra cable (had been cut in half and clamped with 4 bulldog clips. Didn't look very good and definitely not safe taking into account the way they made it!!) and replaced with a new sliding bar arrangement and a pair of Peugeot 106 1.5d SR2 handbrake cables.

Works a treat but the end ferrules on need slight filing to allow them to fit into the drums and shoe operating arm. This is minimal and does not affect the strength or operation.

Why do I rush so much?? Got all excited about having my cable problem sorted and ran out and got some Peugeot 106 1.5d SR2 handbrake cables.
Of course I've got 4x4 discs on the back of my car and these babies aren't going to cut it! These have a little arm on the top...
Anyone know a short handbrake cable with a 10mm long x 5mm wide eye on the end?
or is there a convenient pulley system available to take up the extra 500mm in the cable I have? really don't want to cut it.
Cheers
Declan