PDA

View Full Version : Soft top fitted to Viper?

kevchard
11-07-06, 03:20 PM
Has anyone got a soft top fitted to a viper (preferably cortina based Cobretti, DMS etc).
I am plannig the wind screen position but don't know what angle to put the windscreen at.
I was hoping that someone has bought a soft top kit recently, and could measure the angle of the side window (which i could use as a template to set the windscreen angle with).
Cheers
Kevin

Iain
11-07-06, 03:28 PM
Sorry Kev I can't help you. My Viper is Jag based and a Classic Replicas too. I will be fitting one at some point but not for a while yet....

Hope you get sorted... :thumb:

kevchard
11-07-06, 03:35 PM
Is there any actual difference between the body of a Jag or corty based Viper? Is the jag longer/wider?
I am not buying a roof or installing windscreen until after SVA. But want to be able to plan it all in advance.
I am probably going for Europa roof, unless someone has a better / cheaper choice.

digger782
11-07-06, 03:57 PM
Hi I have a Brightwheel viper and fitted a Europa roof and sides.
The body had studs fitted from another hood long gone so asked Europa to supply without studs fitted and 2 inches longer (no extra cost).
I will find the distance from centre of screen to front edge of body hope this helps:thumb:

kevchard
11-07-06, 04:44 PM
Hi I have a Brightwheel viper and fitted a Europa roof and sides.
The body had studs fitted from another hood long gone so asked Europa to supply without studs fitted and 2 inches longer (no extra cost).
I will find the distance from centre of screen to front edge of body hope this helps:thumb:

Thanks Digger and Iain
Don't supose you could draw a sketch of your side window, so as i can make a cardboard template.
Cheers

davidinkentuk
19-07-06, 12:36 PM
I seem to remember that the original manual (if you can call it that) that came with my Viper chassis (Jag type) gave a distance from the top of the screen to the edge of the bodywork behind the seats. 87cms rings a bell but I'll have to check at the weekend, if you think that would help?

David

kevchard
19-07-06, 06:04 PM
Thanks David
Trouble is with ours i would need all the dimensions to mount the screen in roughly the correct place. The last bloke just 'plonked' the screen on to make it look more complete.
Any and all dimensions you have would be appreciated.
Cheers
Kevin

Purple AK
19-07-06, 08:08 PM
Kev. All the "usual" supplied sidescreen frames come as "Cut to Fit" Likewise the Hoods come oversized at the front and you glue them to the hood bows to the correct tension. So just fit your screen in the best fitting postion/angle, and everything else can be adjusted to fit ;) :thumb:

kevchard
19-07-06, 08:34 PM
Thanks Chris
Just when i thought i had formulated a plan as to fitting the screen. So do you mean you have to cut the side perspex windows to the correct angle for the 'A Pillar'?
In that case, what is the typical angle between the screen and the scuttle?
Also how far back is the bottom of the screen from the innermost past of the scuttle (above the dashboard)?
Any dims welcomed.
Thanks again
Kevin

Purple AK
19-07-06, 08:52 PM
Hi Kev. Yep thats about it :thumb: The sidescreen frames and perspex are cut to what ever angle you end up with. It all depends on which screen rake you like best/which angle suits your particular body/screen. I can't give you any dims as all kits are different

davidinkentuk
20-07-06, 04:09 PM
Kevin,

I'll measure up this weekend and get you all the dimensions (I'm not at home right now)

As regards the position for the stanchions, there were pretty clear positions for those in the fibreglass on mine. I checked they lined up with the chassis, and they did (miracle?) so I just cut them out and in it went. So with the distance from top of screen to back of cockpit, thet pretty much nailed it.

If those hole were already cut on yours, you don't know if there were marks or not, I guess. I'll measure that too for you for confirmation.

As regards side screen, I guess you're talking wet weather gear. I have some glass sidecreens with a fixed angle, but they are just wind deflectors, so probably not much help. I'l get you the angle anyway - it might confirm something.

David

digger782
21-07-06, 08:39 AM
Hi
If you are talking about fixed side screens why not fit the screen and adjust when you have got the side screens.
I am using the "soft type" and fit as well as anyother I have seen all pritty cr*p
Will try and get mesurments when I get home
Cheers

davidinkentuk
22-07-06, 12:29 PM
Hi Kev,

Here are the dimensions from my CR Viper.

Bottom centre of screen (inside) to extreme edge of scuttle at centre (i.e. the width of the dash shelf, 15.5 cm.

Distance from rear edge of stanchion to nearest edge of scuttle (actually the point of the "triangle" where it meets the door aperture) 18.5 cm.

Distance from top centre of screen to edge of rear of cockpit at centre 87cm (as I guessed).

I think those combine to fix the position and angle of my screen exactly, and I believe that is as per Classic Replicas design.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

kevchard
22-07-06, 07:23 PM
Thanks Digger, Chris and David
That makes the picture lot clearer now.
There were holes in the scuttle for the windscreen, but not sure if they were original.
I will put some discrete marks under the bodyshell, as my screen is not SVA compliant, hence i will not be fitting it for a while.
Whom would anyone suggest as a supplier for the hood? Are there any suppliers web sites that i could look at theem before i buy? Europa do not show theirs on the website :(.
Cheers Again

Kevin