PDA

View Full Version : My Viper in colour - Update

Iain
17-07-06, 10:53 PM
Well, the car came back last Wednesday night and it has taken me this long to get over the sheer disappointment of seeing it up close. I'm not sure what this guys problem is but I get the impression that he just couldn't be arsed to do a decent job. I suppose that's what you get when you have another painter take on someone elses f**k up! :mad:

Anyway, see the pics for yourselves. If you're standing 10 feet away then it doesn't look so bad (considering what it was) but when you get up close then it really is a p*ss poor job! :(

At the end of the day it is enough to get the car on the road and enjoy next summer. It will also give me chance to save up some money and have it repsrayed properly over next winter (2007).

Before anyone comments... The springs on the front are too big and the shocks on the rear are too big too so that's why it sits like a 4x4 (all courtesy of Ken "The Super Knob" Cook thank you very much) :mad:

This week is cleaning down the mess and hopefully next week will see the start of the final build... :rolleyes:

Cheers...

tonym
17-07-06, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes Iain, glad to see you're keeping your chin up, i'll try and pop up and see you some time to give some moral support :thumb:

Iain
17-07-06, 11:28 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes Iain, glad to see you're keeping your chin up, i'll try and pop up and see you some time to give some moral support :thumb:

Cheers mate! :thumb:

and I thought that you might of had enough of my dulcet tones at Le Mans... :D You're always welcome and the kettle is normally close to boiling... ;)

Cheers...

tonym
18-07-06, 12:02 AM
You boil Stella? :confused::confused::eek:

Pm me your address :thumb:

Clive
18-07-06, 12:05 AM
Hi Iain,
Check your tyres, looks like the front o/s is the wrong way round!
Cheers, Clilve

Andy302
18-07-06, 05:47 AM
Hi Iain,
Check your tyres, looks like the front o/s is the wrong way round!
Cheers, Clilve

Yup, I agree with Clive, you can just make out the directional arrows on the tyre and its pointing the wrong way!

Whereabouts was your sprayer, sounds like he may be best avoided!

Cheers

Iain
18-07-06, 06:35 AM
The wheels were just put on for effect (and on that side only) I didn't like the spray job that the painter did on my build wheels... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

kevchard
18-07-06, 07:22 AM
Hi Iain
What is exactly wrong with the paint job? I hate to appear under critical, but it looks fine in the pics.
We are going for a home grown paint job until after the SVA anyway, just incase any major work needs doing and the paint gets damaged.
If Helen and i between us can make ours look that good, then i wont be disappointed.
After seeing our bodyshell in green gelcoat, rubbed down so far in places that it is transparent, with red fibreglass filller, yellowy/greeny fibreglass matting patching up bits, with yellow and grey high build filler patches, yours looks mint :).
Honestly Iain, it is purely cosmetic at the moment and the important thing is that the mechanicals are well under way.
Keep your chin/s up and stand back and look at the whole picture :thumb: .
Cheers

Kevin

PS with 4x4 suspension, there is no way the lights are going to be too low for SVA :thumb:

Iain
18-07-06, 07:59 AM
What is exactly wrong with the paint job? I hate to appear under critical, but it looks fine in the pics.

Well, how long have you got? :eek:

The guy never used any filler/primer and so every mark on the body shows up
There are ripples on the body but they are quite bad down the front drivers side wing
The doors have not been finished properly
The bonnet has not been finished properly (metal bracing missing, fibreglass still showing on the inside etc.)
The bonnet is also out of shape (the end where it locks). It is very flat and needs to be reshaped to fit correctly.
There is still a flash line on the front nose that hasn't been removed
The shuts have not been finished properly (or laquered)
The stripe has a feathered edge to it instead of a sharp edge
The car has not been baked so the paint is very soft
The car has not been polished correctly (dull patches and orange peel)
He didn't mask up at all so there is paint everywhere!

That's probably a good starter! :eek:

Cheers...

kevchard
18-07-06, 08:39 PM
Hi Iain
Sorry you have been treated this badly. Is there any come back regarding trading standards etc?
At least if ours turns out badly i can blame Helen.

steamyrotter
18-07-06, 10:33 PM
At least if ours turns out badly i can blame Helen.

You are obviously braver than me then...:D

Deck
18-07-06, 11:43 PM
Hi Iain
Really sorry reading this post. I have to say though I can't blow up those pictures enough to see what you're talking about but I know your attention to detail and I also know how vital an undercoat is.
The paint will go hard on its own but will take a bit longer than if baked. Watch out for any deep deposits like runs or in any of the wells in the body shape as it'll stay soft here longer.

Most probably it hasn't been buffed up at all as the laquer shold be left for a while but the orange peel and dull spots will buff up with G10 or other compounds and give you an even shine.

Are you going to use underbody seal in the arches and underneath?

Seeing as it was mentioned...and not wishing to get too ugly about it(and MrCook)...how is one supposed to lower the suspension? My Sierra based Viper is sitting even higher than yours and the avo shocks on the front are pretty much under full compression...well they don't move much (at all) when I sit my considerable bluk on the front!?

Best of luck with the rest of it.
Declan

osgood
19-07-06, 09:06 AM
Well, how long have you got? :eek:

The guy never used any filler/primer and so every mark on the body shows up
There are ripples on the body but they are quite bad down the front drivers side wing
The doors have not been finished properly
The bonnet has not been finished properly (metal bracing missing, fibreglass still showing on the inside etc.)
The bonnet is also out of shape (the end where it locks). It is very flat and needs to be reshaped to fit correctly.
There is still a flash line on the front nose that hasn't been removed
The shuts have not been finished properly (or laquered)
The stripe has a feathered edge to it instead of a sharp edge
The car has not been baked so the paint is very soft
The car has not been polished correctly (dull patches and orange peel)
He didn't mask up at all so there is paint everywhere!

That's probably a good starter! :eek:

Cheers...

Sorry to hear about more bad luck Iain, will be in touch regards Eric.

Iain
19-07-06, 10:42 AM
Is there any come back regarding trading standards etc?
Well, I doubt it since this guy gave a verbal agreement to take on the debt that the other plonker (the tw*t painter that ripped me off) left. We basically nicked all of the first guys tools and he said that it would financially cover what needed to be done and then all I had to do was settle my outstanding balance with him. It would appear that having tools in kind and hard cash are two very different things.

You live and learn!

Cheers...

chesterak
19-07-06, 11:53 AM
Hi Iain
Really sorry reading this post. I have to say though I can't blow up those pictures enough to see what you're talking about but I know your attention to detail and I also know how vital an undercoat is.
The paint will go hard on its own but will take a bit longer than if baked. Watch out for any deep deposits like runs or in any of the wells in the body shape as it'll stay soft here longer.

Most probably it hasn't been buffed up at all as the laquer shold be left for a while but the orange peel and dull spots will buff up with G10 or other compounds and give you an even shine.

Are you going to use underbody seal in the arches and underneath?

Seeing as it was mentioned...and not wishing to get too ugly about it(and MrCook)...how is one supposed to lower the suspension? My Sierra based Viper is sitting even higher than yours and the avo shocks on the front are pretty much under full compression...well they don't move much (at all) when I sit my considerable bluk on the front!?

Best of luck with the rest of it.
Declan

All Vipers seem to sit high at the back, regardless of Jag/Ford suspension. The one I started out on was no different. I ended up cutting out the top suspension mounts and refixing - the suspension mounting brackets were an abortion anyway. This was so I could use the suspension units supplied by knob-head Cook/Weber. I set the chassis at what I thought was a reasonable ride height (based on Dax) and worked out the reposition from there. HF Bradley01 now has the car built, he may be able to advise if the mod was successful or not.

TINKA
19-07-06, 04:15 PM
Hi Stan, Howard's car has been sat next to Iain's for the last 10 months at least and we have been studying the changes you made to see how easy it would be to duplicate them on Iain's car. :thumb: Hopefully all will be sorted very very soon :o :o

Deck
19-07-06, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the brutal honesty there.:(
Don't suppose cutting the springs will work??:confused:

What about a lowering kit for the original car??

Can the brackets be moved with the body on? I imagine its a grind off/weld back on jobbie:eek: ...inside a fibreglass arch....:eek: :eek: better keep the fire extinguishers handy:rotfl:

Is there a photographic record of the mods and is someone comissioning new mounting plates?

What exactly is wrong with the 4x4 look anyway?

Cheers
Dec

chesterak
20-07-06, 12:07 PM
Hi Stan, Howard's car has been sat next to Iain's for the last 10 months at least and we have been studying the changes you made to see how easy it would be to duplicate them on Iain's car. :thumb: Hopefully all will be sorted very very soon :o :o

Hi Martin,
As a matter of interest....have you compared ride height/body fitting "appearence" between Iain and Howards cars? The mod is easy to do with the body off. Once you have made the new xmembers with upper shock mountings you can grind out and reweld in a night.:thumb: