PDA

View Full Version : Viper progress at last

cobra.mad
09-08-06, 11:03 PM
Hi

Just thought i'd post a couple of pics of the current state of my build, it's beginning to look something at long last.

current task - cockpit trimming, nearly done door cards and seats to sort.

part started kit totally dismantled and restarted,
previously:- engine rebuilt, running gear disassembled and rebuilt, rewired, body refitted, and just about everything else.

I know it still looks a bit rough but I am trying to resist painting until every thing is done and sva'd.

Chris

Miket
09-08-06, 11:33 PM
Hi

Just thought i'd post a couple of pics of the current state of my build, it's beginning to look something at long last.

current task - cockpit trimming, nearly done door cards and seats to sort.

part started kit totally dismantled and restarted,
previously:- engine rebuilt, running gear disassembled and rebuilt, rewired, body refitted, and just about everything else.

I know it still looks a bit rough but I am trying to resist painting until every thing is done and sva'd.

Chris
I bet some of the other Viper owners on here wished there's looked as good, well done. :thumb: :thumb:

steamyrotter
10-08-06, 12:18 AM
I bet some of the other Viper owners on here wished there's looked as good, well done. :thumb: :thumb:

You're not wrong there.:(

That's looking Sweet

You may want to think about fitting seats though:D

kevchard
10-08-06, 10:22 AM
Well done Chris for not getting bored before now :thumb:
Is yours a Jag based one?
Cheers
Kevin

CeeJay
10-08-06, 10:39 AM
Well done mate - looks like you're going to be on the road before me! Did u sort out the manifolds?

CeeJay.

Iain
10-08-06, 01:52 PM
Coming together nicely me thinks! :thumb:

I have just had to fit new springs to the front of my Viper. The last ones were over an inch too long! :eek: Thanks Ken(Super Knob) :mad:

I've just about finished cleaning down the chassis after the painter (just the back axle to do). Then I have the cladding of the inner wheel arches before the rest of the engine components can be fitted (hopefully for the last time).

Then I'm on to the loom, lights, carpets, seats and shiny bits, so I think you're ahead of me.

It'll look pukka once you've got them Halibrands on! :D

Keep plugging! :thumb:

cobra.mad
10-08-06, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and positive comments I can see the end now although still no idea when.

Mine is Jag based with 3.5 rover lump, I have already got ideas to change the engine but that will be another saga.

As for the wheels i got the rims some 18 months ago but not the tyres yet, they are not halibrands, i have gone for something very different not sure if they are going to be any good but that will have to wait.

The manifolds were complete one offs ( at least two off I suppose), real block huggers, they were with the kit when I got it, although like every thing else I have had to remake them.

I Havn't made my mind up about seats although I did make one from a rover 400 seat a year or so back I may get that covered (see pic) must sort that out soon.

Chris

Deck
11-08-06, 06:23 PM
Miket's right about wishing to be as far as you! Some day I too will get to Trim!:drive:
Have you got it moving about?
Best of luck with the rest of it and keep the photos coming. It is goo to see those arches without splitlines...
Dec

cobra.mad
11-08-06, 06:56 PM
Deck

I have driven it only in our close, about 100m. The brakes are a bit sharp but other than that not too bad.

The body is not bad although I have made numerous adjustments to get the alignment right, although I have not cut it in half as some have done!!.

It is slightly unsymmetrical, but I think a lot of kits suffer from this. The worst of the body is between the boot and the rear scuttle, the bonnet around the scoop and the mouth. Plenty of filler when the time comes will sort most of that out, I hope.

I am not trying to make anything concours more tidy I suppose.

What variety have you got and how far on are you.

Chris

Deck
11-08-06, 07:17 PM
I'm in the same boat as you but for the location... Classic Replicas Viper, RV8 with Sierra chassis, bought as a unfinished project. Undone and redone most of it but still a long way to go and I keep getting distracted by great ideas... bmw column, pedals and loom, wolsley wooden dash among others.

I've a complete map of the E30 loom if anyone wants it. Thought it'd be easier than understanding relay wiring but took a bit longer I think!

Recently bought Halibrand replicas and there's nothing like them for lighting a fire under you. I now NEED to get this on the road. They deserve to be rolling!!

Just 95% finished the exhaust (bit of a rattle near the diff) and am finishing the water this weekend, wiring in the rad fan and might even try fill it up...

Body is posibly the worst example ever (oh if I'd have known):boohoo: and the cabin area metal has plenty of rust on the scrapes.

Hope to have it driving under its own steam by the end of the month :drive: but am afraid I'm being way too eager to do so and will wreck something:eek:

Sorry got carried away there..:)
Cheers
Dec

cobra.mad
11-08-06, 08:04 PM
Deck

The body is not bad although I have made numerous adjustments to get the alignment right, although I have cut it in half as some have done!!.

Chris

I ment 'not cut it half'

opps

cobra.mad
11-08-06, 10:46 PM
Dec

''wolsley wooden dash among others. ''

That would have been original

I made mine myself I laminated 3mm ply to get the shape etc and then covered in leather. (see pic)

It's all worth it in the end,

Iain and Howard really went to town on the body work so yours should be possible.

Chris

hfbradley01
12-08-06, 08:10 PM
Dec

''wolsley wooden dash among others. ''

That would have been original

I made mine myself I laminated 3mm ply to get the shape etc and then covered in leather. (see pic)

It's all worth it in the end,

Iain and Howard really went to town on the body work so yours should be possible.

Chris

Anythings possible on these cars, it all depends on how far you're prepared to go. I've no idea how I'm going to approach the interior of my car when I get it back, but you can be assured that I'll be checking these threads to see what other people are doing.

Keep up the good work guys and one day we'll meet up for a pint and laugh over our trials and tribulations.