PDA

View Full Version : Spring poundage?

kevchard
23-09-06, 10:06 PM
Can anyone suggest the correct springs for a Corty based viper. The engine is a V6, with an ali head.
Cheers

Kevin

kayjayd
23-09-06, 10:13 PM
Can't help you mate but thanks for the loan of the engine crane and the tour of your cob. :thumb:

Always impressed by people who have the balls to take a project like that on. Damn sure I wouldn't have hence the easy route for me. It'll be the dog's doodaa's when you get it on the road.

Deck
23-09-06, 10:22 PM
Good timing I'd say Kevin! I've just put 340lbs between Sierra hubs and an RV8 which still doesn't move much when you sit on it. I also had to get short (8 inch) ones to allow me to wind down the arch.
I haven't been anywhere yet cos I've had to re overhaul the rear calipers!:mad: Who'd have thought 6 years sitting around would cause all that rust and perished rubber? Not me anyway!!:boohoo: Probably gonna have to redo the fronts too although they're only done 2 years ago.

Not sure about the Corty but got a lowering kit for the Sierra (minus 40mm) and the car is sitting a lot better on these. Bit loose mind you but trapped by the shock.

I know Iain is also in the process of getting springs too but he's heavier (engine wise) again.

Oh, now have a pair of 10inch by 2 1/4 inch by possibly 700lbs springs sitting about if anyones looking for that stiffer ride?

Good luck anyway Kevin and sorry for the rambling...
Cheers
Declan

TINKA
23-09-06, 11:02 PM
Iain has now hopefully sorted out his springs with 450 lbs on the front and the same on the rear :D :D so far this looks spot on although he is also going to need shorter shocks on the rear to get the appropriate travel which is desirable. :drive: :drive:

Deck
23-09-06, 11:17 PM
Should have said... Coil over Avo on the front and Sierra subframe on the back.
Iain has Jag running gear.
You could check the relative weights of the Ford V6 and the RV8 and Iains block and maybe work it out from there? Of course that'd be another thread....
HTH
Cheers
Declan

Iain
24-09-06, 09:45 AM
Hi Guys,

Everything has already been said. :thumb: The proof is in the viewing. :cool:

As Martin said, it's Jag based... :D

http://cluster.ezphotoshed.com/users/Iain/photos/1158794056-1.jpg

Cheers Guys...

kevchard
24-09-06, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the advice.
Nice to meet you Kev (the cats are missing Harry fussing them :) ).
Do you think that 270Ib springs will suffice?
Would sierra / cortina different geometry make that much difference to spring weight?
The springs currently fitted (don't know poundage etc) look right, but the sink a good 150mm when the car is lowered from the axle stands, which means that the headlights are approx 440mm front the floor (not 500mm).
Cheers

steamyrotter
24-09-06, 09:34 PM
Kev

See other post ref tyres & spring assistors....

Also I am a bit concerned now!!

With the "standard" springs supplied with the chassis, and the engine + 2 people bouncing on it the front end never moved!

They must be extremely stiff springs me thinks!
They are too stiff for what i am looking for ref ride height so are going begging if you want to try them next tiime you're down.

I am definitely going for coil over at least on mine so i can twiddle with it at any time.

Iain.

That's looking sweet. Hope I can get mine to look half as good as that.

:thumb:

Iain
24-09-06, 10:48 PM
If it's any concellation, the front springs on my kit were an inch too long. The suspension was sitting too high and was as hard as a rock. I got no movement either.

The rear shocks and springs are also too long so they need changing aswell.

The funny thing is that I all the Avo suspension parts with the kit from Ken "Super Knob" Cook!

It just goes to show...

Keep going chaps! I'm hoping to drive this thing next year and it would be nice to meet up with some other Viper owners!

steamyrotter
24-09-06, 10:55 PM
Iain.

Am i right in thinking you have a RV8??

If so what lb springs are you using on the front?

Cheers

Iain
24-09-06, 11:09 PM
Dean,

It's a Ford 302 with a 4 Speed Toploader gearbox. All cast iron I'm afraid.

I was supplied 400lbs for the front based on a Jag V12 engine but have changed to 450lbs.

steamyrotter
24-09-06, 11:14 PM
Cheers

Looks like some trial and error when i get to that stage then..
;)

Deck
24-09-06, 11:24 PM
If it's any concellation, the front springs on my kit were an inch too long. The suspension was sitting too high and was as hard as a rock. I got no movement either.

The rear shocks and springs are also too long so they need changing aswell.

The funny thing is that I all the Avo suspension parts with the kit from Ken "Super Knob" Cook!

It just goes to show...

Keep going chaps! I'm hoping to drive this thing next year and it would be nice to meet up with some other Viper owners!

Don't feel too bad now! Bought my fronts off a guy who said they were for a Viper. Had to mod the mounts a bit to fit them on and then had to replace springs!!:mad:
Looks good in the garage now:rotfl: :rotfl: might be different in the light:D

I'd challenge you to a race to completion but I've seen yours...(eh, on the previous page.) Looks really sweet!!.
Reckon I could make next year too seeing as there's nothing left to replace...except the chassis and the bodyshell...did I just say that:confused: :eek:
May the Force be with us
Dec

jemburrett
25-09-06, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm having a whale of a time with my MkIII Sumo, Ford based with Chevy 5.7 apart from the persistent grounding of the sump! Springs and shocks under review - any advice as to the best setup of shocks/springs/ride height gratefully received.
I have been advised that I need 600lbs front, 700lbs rear - what do you think, which shocks are best suited and where would you go to buy the springs/shocks?
My car is the one with the Cobratops hardtop - picture under gallery, General pics.
Regards
Rudolph Hucker

kevchard
25-09-06, 08:43 AM
Hi Dean
Thanks for info :thumb:
Trouble is with coil overs, you will need to strengthen the lower wishbone, as instead of the weight of the spring 'pushing' the top of wishbone down (acting on a large strong area), it 'pulls' down (on a thin plate from under the wishbone).
That is what's putting me off (and the cost for a min).
Thanks for the offer Dean of your shocks.
We will be down in Nov for Exeter car show (hopefully).
Cheers
Kevin

Iain
25-09-06, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm having a whale of a time with my MkIII Sumo, Ford based with Chevy 5.7 apart from the persistent grounding of the sump! Springs and shocks under review - any advice as to the best setup of shocks/springs/ride height gratefully received.
I have been advised that I need 600lbs front, 700lbs rear - what do you think, which shocks are best suited and where would you go to buy the springs/shocks?
My car is the one with the Cobratops hardtop - picture under gallery, General pics.
Regards
Rudolph Hucker
You might want to get in contact with a guy called Tony Merrick. I believe he is currently altering the suspension on his Sumo. He posts under "tonym"

steamyrotter
25-09-06, 09:00 PM
Hi Dean
Thanks for info :thumb:
Trouble is with coil overs, you will need to strengthen the lower wishbone, as instead of the weight of the spring 'pushing' the top of wishbone down (acting on a large strong area), it 'pulls' down (on a thin plate from under the wishbone).
That is what's putting me off (and the cost for a min).
Thanks for the offer Dean of your shocks.
We will be down in Nov for Exeter car show (hopefully).
Cheers
Kevin

True.

However I am going to fabricate a bracket that will transfer the load to the inside of the lower wishbone. this should provide the strength and adaptability.
Other than that it will be a complete remodel of the front suspension for something a little more adjustable................

I should be around in Nov. May try to get to the show but very busy at work at the mo. 9 week shutdown again......You are welcome to the sprngs as they are cluttering up the garage at present.

Cheers

Iain
25-09-06, 09:10 PM
With regard to suspension and the Viper, if your car is using Avo dampers/springs and you are having trouble then it might be worth contacting Avo.

I spoke with them today via several e-Mails, one of which I let slip that the suspension was bought with the kit direct from Ken "Super Knob" Cook. At that point the guy completely understood my problems. I have now got a new suspension (2off dampers and springs) which should hopefully sort me out! :D

Just so that you guys know, I am not using the standard Jag setup with 4 dampers (2 per side) but instead I am fitting just one. Along with that, I am bracing the wishbone to strengthen it up and then I am removing the Jag Radius Arm completely. I saw that the "Jaguar Car Club" racer boys do this to their cars for racing so it should do me a treat! :thumb:

Anyone having problems with their Viper suspension (and it is an Avo setup) then it might be worth a call.

Their web site is http://www.avouk.com/

Cheers...

kevchard
27-09-06, 10:03 PM
I have fitted 235 Lb springs to one side, but car is still too low and too soggy. I have now ordered 270Lb Heavy Duty springs from Rally Design.
Hope these are better.What do you think is the stance on 'spring assistors' for SVA?
Cheers

kevchard
01-10-06, 09:39 AM
We have installed 270Lb springs. The car hardly moves at all now when we lower it from the axle stands.
The car is legally high enough for SVA and suspension is soft enough.
We will be looking into coil overs after SVA for more flexibility tho.
Not sure what the difference is in weight between the RV8 and our V6.
Cheers

Purple AK
01-10-06, 09:56 AM
Not sure what the difference is in weight between the RV8 and our V6.
Cheers
I suspect, Not A Lot ;) http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html

kevchard
01-10-06, 10:03 AM
I was amazed in difference between fitting 235Lb and 270Lb springs. Car was soggy as hell and sank 150mm when released from axle stands with 235s. With 270s the feel is about right (albeit 'monster truck' styling).

Purple AK
01-10-06, 10:06 AM
They will bed in after a few miles :thumb:

kevchard
01-10-06, 10:15 AM
I hope not. 50 odd miles each way for SVA. Don't want them sagging by then :).
A local garage have been drafted into do paintwork and fibreglassing on cob now. I finally feel without that burden, the car might be finished by middle of next year.

osgood
01-10-06, 05:31 PM
RV8 400lb front, 250 X4 @ the rear take it from one who know's Osgood ;)

Deck
03-10-06, 06:57 PM
We have installed 270Lb springs. The car hardly moves at all now when we lower it from the axle stands.
The car is legally high enough for SVA and suspension is soft enough.

Hi again,
Glad you're making progress Kevchard.:drive:

Where did you get the information on heights for SVA?
Looks like my "lowering kit" springs may not work at all! :boohoo:
Firstly, the wheels now sit at about 20 degrees to vertical but even though the rear arch sits at the right height from the top of the wheel, the flat pan of the underside is now about 50mm off the ground!:eek: :confused:

It currently looks like the body will need to move relative to the chassis for this to look right?? :( or can you get 245 60 ZR17s?:cool:
Anyone had to do this?
Cheers
Declan

kevchard
03-10-06, 07:15 PM
Hi Declan
You can call me Kev if you like (no need to be so formal with the Kevchard name :) )
I got heights from SVA draft manual, 350mm to lower surface of front and rear indicators, 500mm to lower part of headlights.
That is what i read into the manual anyway.
Do you want me to email SVA manual?
Our front springs are almost at top of their extent to get correct 'monster truck' 500mm dimension.
Good luck, Vipers are fun :(.
Cheers
Kevin

steamyrotter
03-10-06, 10:10 PM
Deck

My body was too low.
Placed on the chassis with the steering rack parallel to the chassis (ie flat and level) the nose of the body was touching the ground..

I have cut the inner tub out and mounted that flat on the chassis.
I will tweek and glass in the body to how i need it when i get that far and maintain the indicators at the correct height. May purposely set the suspension a little high for SVA then reset to look / handle better.

Still need to finish the wiring and rebuild the engine before i get to that though.

Think it is the only way to get it right.

Kev where did you see the 500mm to headlights?
That seems a little excessive??:confused: with 6" between indicators and headlight????

Cheers

Purple AK
03-10-06, 10:22 PM
http://fp.topcateng.plus.com/Garage/SVA%20Section/sva_manual_draft.pdf Page 93 refers to "minimum height" ie to the bottom of the visable light source ;)

steamyrotter
03-10-06, 10:29 PM
Think I'll keep quiet now!!
:)

Iain
03-10-06, 10:35 PM
Deck

My body was too low.
Placed on the chassis with the steering rack parallel to the chassis (ie flat and level) the nose of the body was touching the ground..
Too Low! :eek:

I didn't think that this was possible with the Viper!

You guys have my sympathy!

Mind you, we're all in the same vote.... one way or another... :o

Deck
04-10-06, 01:32 AM
Isn't this so much fun?:thumb:
Thanks for the manual Chris bit of light bedtime reading for me.:D
Don't suppose you have the abridged version handy?

Sounds awkward Dean. My shell really just sits over the top and was very prematurely attached by someone else:boohoo:
The floorpans and footwells are metal sheet and are going to resist adjustment...I can tell these things now...:cool:

Cheers
Declan

kevchard
04-10-06, 08:32 AM
Hi Declan
If you right click on the link, then click 'save target as' you can have your own SVA draft version :).
Cheers

Purple AK
04-10-06, 08:43 AM
Isn't this so much fun?:thumb:
Thanks for the manual Chris bit of light bedtime reading for me.:D
Don't suppose you have the abridged version handy?

Cheers
Declan

Disregard the first 50 pages as they don't apply ;) :thumb: