PDA

View Full Version : Standing start with an auto

nbracken
08-05-01, 09:06 PM
I have a Chevy 350 with a TH350 autobox that has been modded with a quick shift.

Overall I am really pleased with the combination, but am uncertain as to the best way to get the best standing start accelleration. Can anyone advise how to get a good start?

Thanks

Nigel B

imported_admin
09-05-01, 02:08 PM
Can of worms here!! Ideally you need a 'high stall' torque converter,often misunderstood basically one with a stall of say 2400 rpm will only start to drive at that rpm(depending on weight of vehicle)-putting the engine in its rev range before the car moves.Or-- you could fit a linelock in the rear brake lines to turn the rear brakes off so you can hold the car on the front brakes only with your left foot.
Of course acceleration is always dependant on the ratio of the diff,perhaps a diff change might be in order??

imported_admin
17-05-01, 12:15 PM
If anyone is interested I have a couple of automatic gearboxes complete with High Stall Torque converters and Bell housings for the following engines :-

Rover SD1 V8 (Unused)
Ford Pinto (Used briefly)

The Torque Converters take up a bit over 2000 RPM which gets you into the power band on most cams.

We built these for a friend in a wheelchair who wanted a fast car but had to be able to drive it on hand controls !!

Drop me an email if you want further details.

James