PDA

View Full Version : Lemans hard top lining

dingocooke
12-10-06, 10:13 AM
Does anyone know what the original 289 LeMans hard tops were lined in (if anything) as my new aquisition looks a bit bare inside in cream glass matting, so thinking of lining out in similar textured black vinyl to the dash, any hints or pics would be much appreciated.

Ta

P.S-Anyone got a hawk build manual scan?

dingocooke
12-10-06, 01:56 PM
Just spoke to Gerry at Hawk, the race cars have no interior trim, the road cars had a light vinyl, although he doesnt sell it.
So now the question is slightly changed, anyone know what colour or have a decent photo???

Cheers in advance as always:D

dave
12-10-06, 07:16 PM
I have a set of tasteful internal panels that you could cover. They might just fit a Hawk top at a pinch.....No fit no fee.

Clive
13-10-06, 01:11 AM
Does anyone know what the original 289 LeMans hard tops were lined in (if anything) as my new aquisition looks a bit bare inside in cream glass matting, so thinking of lining out in similar textured black vinyl to the dash, any hints or pics would be much appreciated.

Ta

P.S-Anyone got a hawk build manual scan?
Hawk build manual has not been finished yet, there are still some sections missing. Apparently Gerry made a deal with a printer that he would supply him with a car if he produced a manual as he built his car. Unfortunately he hasn't finished his build yet, so he hasn't finished the manual either.
I have the manual to date, so if you need details let me know and I could fax/e-mail the sections you need.
Cheers, Clive.

dingocooke
13-10-06, 10:02 AM
Nice one guys.

Dave interested in your panels, will drop in to your place when Im going by and take a peek probably next week, Ill give you a ring to see if thats ok.

Clive, didnt realise theyd not completed the build manual!! I have a rough photocopy of it upto section 5, does it go further?

Regards and thanks as always.

Kevin W
13-10-06, 10:36 AM
If its any use, I saw a Kit Car article years ago where one of Gerry's Hardtops was covered ('sprayed -on') wth flocking, job undertaken by Neil Foreman. Looked nice in blue.

Easier to fit than an internal lining perhaps.

Kevin

dingocooke
13-10-06, 10:38 AM
Just come off the phone to dave, what a nice man!!!

Anyway yes flocking another good idea which Dave also mentioned, so will look into that as well, probably not model railway green though Dave...

Thanks again chaps

Clive
14-10-06, 12:32 AM
Nice one guys.

Dave interested in your panels, will drop in to your place when Im going by and take a peek probably next week, Ill give you a ring to see if thats ok.

Clive, didnt realise theyd not completed the build manual!! I have a rough photocopy of it upto section 5, does it go further?

Regards and thanks as always.
I have section 5 also but not chapters 5.13, 5.15, 5.16, 5.18, 5.19 and 5.22
Cheers, Clive

Clive
14-10-06, 01:01 AM
Total Kit Car did a very informative series of articles on the building of a Hawk 289 FIA which I could e-mail you if you PM your e-mail address
Cheers, Clive.

nikbj68
09-11-06, 03:32 PM
Total Kit Car did a very informative series of articles on the building of a Hawk 289 FIA which I could e-mail you if you PM your e-mail address
Cheers, Clive.
...But when will we see it finished??????Last seen going for paint.
Now I know some folk go a bit silly about prep work, but it`s been a year now!

The original LM hardtop was just painted inside, must have been bloomin` noisy!

dingocooke
09-11-06, 03:40 PM
Ive found that article on the net, quite good, but as you say unfinished!

Ive bought a roll of some quite nice perforated headlining in a subtle biscuit/beige colour, old stock, I think its 60's vauxhall, but looks period enough, just got a friend sourcing me some 3mm scrim foam, which I'll cut into panels, trim up, and glue into the hardtop inner. As I understand it the racers had a bare painted interior, and the road cars had some form of trim, but to me it looks unfinished with bare glass matting, so Im going for the trimmed look..

On a different subject, anyone know offhand what the updated front discs and calipers on a Hawk are off
Mine are warped, and need new pads too-eeek
Standard Hawk are MGB, with folks fitting MGBV8 and or triumph 2500 to upgarde, or Hawks own uprated items which mine has.

Cheers as usual

Steve

Clive
09-11-06, 04:31 PM
Ive found that article on the net, quite good, but as you say unfinished!

Ive bought a roll of some quite nice perforated headlining in a subtle biscuit/beige colour, old stock, I think its 60's vauxhall, but looks period enough, just got a friend sourcing me some 3mm scrim foam, which I'll cut into panels, trim up, and glue into the hardtop inner. As I understand it the racers had a bare painted interior, and the road cars had some form of trim, but to me it looks unfinished with bare glass matting, so Im going for the trimmed look..

On a different subject, anyone know offhand what the updated front discs and calipers on a Hawk are off
Mine are warped, and need new pads too-eeek
Standard Hawk are MGB, with folks fitting MGBV8 and or triumph 2500 to upgarde, or Hawks own uprated items which mine has.

Cheers as usual

Steve
Steve a lot of the brake upgrades use the Austin Princess calipers. Like Hen's teeth now. Occasionally come up on E-Bay.
Lots of information on www.the289register.com

dingocooke
09-11-06, 04:44 PM
Hawk still offer the upgrade so I'll ring them and ask; Im just wary of buying (usually expensive) 'specials' from kit manufacturers when theyre actually a std item for another car model and available from your local factors for peanuts!

Clive
09-11-06, 05:12 PM
Hawk still offer the upgrade so I'll ring them and ask; Im just wary of buying (usually expensive) 'specials' from kit manufacturers when theyre actually a std item for another car model and available from your local factors for peanuts!
Steve, I have e-mailed you (I think) with an article.

dingocooke
09-11-06, 05:38 PM
Nice one Clive! Thanks for that great info.

I have the Hawk calipers and front discs on my car, and the very nice gearshift Dave describes at the end of the article.
I also have Dave Pilbeams rear diff and proportioning valve; Im pretty certain (and was told ny John Abel the original builder of the car) that its an uprated MGB V8 diff with racing crown and pinion.
It has disc brakes, which are from ( according to my MOT man down the road who recognised them immediately) an '86 onwards Ford Ganada, with integral handbrake system, which does actually work quite well; well a lot better than the Jag IRS one anyway!
The diff sits on American made Kevlar rear 'leaf' springs very light, but at (apparently) 800 a pair very heavy on the wallet!!
Rear damping is by adjustable coil over dampers with very narrow guage spring wire on the 'token' coil springs! Rear axle has radius arms and a Panhard rod, althoug Ive noticed the panhard toucheds the rear diff housing on full bump so I have a cut and shut and powder coat job to do over winter. Front is on the hawk tubular suspension set up, with same dampers as per the rear.

The calipers on my car are fitted with green pads all round, but the pedal is very, very, very wooden, not helped by warped front discs, so my intention is to give the whole lot a good service, including my trick using rubber belting during servicing to make the caliper pistons slide nicely; fit new front discs, check the rears for truth, and fit std AP Lockheed street pads all round.

Steve

Clive
09-11-06, 06:07 PM
Steve, you should join the 289 register. 10 a year and lots of good info!

hawk289
09-11-06, 09:53 PM
Steve,

Got your email, sorry about not responding. Here we go, the front brakes are Austin Princess calipers. The pads in the calipers came from demon tweeks. You can upgrade to a nice four pot caliper from http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/r132-4.htm. Not cheap, but the total business.

How did brakes get bent? Interesting!

Thanks

John.

dingocooke
10-11-06, 01:57 PM
Steve,

Got your email, sorry about not responding. Here we go, the front brakes are Austin Princess calipers. The pads in the calipers came from demon tweeks. You can upgrade to a nice four pot caliper from http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/r132-4.htm. Not cheap, but the total business.

How did brakes get bent? Interesting!

Thanks

John.

Hi John

Thanks for the info, are the discs princess too or MGBV8?
Not sure how the discs got warped, the brakes were juddery from speed when I colected the car; they were very marginal at the MOT!
All part of the joys of old car ownership and tinkering!
Just spent out on some spare keys, some rubber sealing strip for the hard top and sidescreens, a nice 289 airfilter sticker, a replacement rear boot handle (old one got damaged while Mike had the car) and a nice (but expensive) period style gear lever rubber gaiter.

Its winter tinker time!!