PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Guys & Gals in Scotland

nriddell
26-10-06, 01:12 PM
Could everyone who is a Cob owner/builder/enthusiast on the forum to post on here so that we can form some kind of list.

bluetoon
26-10-06, 08:11 PM
A big hello from a windy, wet and chilly Peterhead.

Currently building a Sumo. The rover V8 is installed now for the wiring and plumbing. Hope to have it on the road sometime 2007 :eek: EDIT: make that 2008 lol

Jim

Sparticus
27-10-06, 02:24 PM
Down near Lanark in central belt

purge98
27-10-06, 03:03 PM
Could everyone who is a Cob owner/builder/enthusiast on the forum to post on here so that we can form some kind of list.

Aberdeen. 350 Chevy Dax. Self build completed 2002. Crashed 2002 Thainstone roundabout. DB rebuilt 2006.

Still uncrashed as of 1403 hrs 27/10/2006.

bogster
27-10-06, 05:57 PM
Banchory (near Aberdeen). Almost completed a 2005 Dax Tojeiro De Dion. Just got the windscreen, interior and paint job. Hope to SVA in Spring 07 and have painted in June 07.

:thumb:

Clive
27-10-06, 08:16 PM
:thumb: Errol, Perth. Home built Hawk 289 with Ford 302 (260bhp, 300 lb/ft) T5 gearbox, Jag IRS and uprated front tubular wishbones. First time pass SVA at Aberdeen (July 2006) and registration on age related plate. Booked for paint and trim at Classic Car Restorations Nov 2006 www.classicrestorations.co.uk 2000miles of happy summer motoring in 12 weeks!:drive: :drive: :drive:

jock
27-10-06, 09:29 PM
Pilgrim sumo with 5.7 chevy on the road for a couple of years. living in falkirk area. car is Dodge viper blue with the usual white stripes.:thumb:

Clive
28-10-06, 12:21 AM

:confused: What about your own details then? :D

mcartney
28-10-06, 06:52 PM
Hi Ian from Dundee.
Building a Gardner Douglas MK4 GDJAG.
Rolling chassis complete.
Engine on way from US. A 383 Chevy, 450BHP / 465lb/ft.
Body black gel coat arriving Monday.
Looking forward to a busy winter.

Regards.

Clive
28-10-06, 09:49 PM
Hi Ian from Dundee.
Building a Gardner Douglas MK4 GDJAG.
Rolling chassis complete.
Engine on way from US. A 383 Chevy, 450BHP / 465lb/ft.
Body black gel coat arriving Monday.
Looking forward to a busy winter.

Regards.
Hi Ian, we're almost neighbours then!:thumb:

mcartney
28-10-06, 11:27 PM
Hi Clive

Yes, I stay in Monifieth.
I think I saw your car a few weeks ago. Looked very nice.
Good to see a few Scots owners.

Regards Ian.

CeeJay
28-10-06, 11:40 PM
Craig from Perth

I'm building a Viper (Ford based) with a highly modified Rover V8 fitted with a Paxton SN60 Supercharger (280-300 bhp).

Just getting to the 'got-all-the-bits-how-I-want-them' stage (Lots of time spent welding, cleaning and powder-coating', so I can soon start the rebuild!

If any of you are interested I'll be taking my chassis through to ESP in Glasgow to be powder-coated in a few weeks time - if any of you want anything powder-coated let me know and I'll see if I can get it done at the same time as mine for a knocked down price...

CeeJay.

nriddell
30-10-06, 02:00 PM
Hi guys

Sorry I forgot to post my details (was too busy getting th first post in):rotfl:

I am in the Saving Up stage as I want to buy all parts at the one time, but the plan is:

Dax Tojeiro De Dion
5.8Ltr 350Bhp Ford V8
T5 Gearbox
Black with White stripes
Black Interior with white piping

*Tries to think up new ways to find money*

Davecw000
30-10-06, 03:15 PM
Hi,

David from Edinburgh - Sumo II Ford 2.8

A friend saw a Blue Cob in Leith (29 Oct) about mid-day. Well, he said he heard the distinctive rumble before he actually he saw it - He wasn't disappointed.

Any chance of an organised meet in the future?

nriddell
30-10-06, 05:45 PM
I'm hoping something could be arranged for the future (if there isn't something arranged already), but I'm not volunteering to arrange it at the moment.

purge98
30-10-06, 06:22 PM
Aberdeen. 350 Chevy Dax. Self build completed 2002. Crashed 2002 Thainstone roundabout. DB rebuilt 2006.

Still uncrashed as of 1403 hrs 27/10/2006.

Anyone know where I can get my Chevy 350 rebuilt and/or stroked to a 383 in Scotland? Preferably around Aberdeen/Dundee area.

I've heard http://www.agraengineering.co.uk (http://www.agraengineering.co.uk/)

do engines but are they familiar with the Chevy?

Any info/ideas welcome.

Clive
30-10-06, 07:00 PM
Anyone know where I can get my Chevy 350 rebuilt and/or stroked to a 383 in Scotland? Preferably around Aberdeen/Dundee area.

I've heard http://www.agraengineering.co.uk (http://www.agraengineering.co.uk/)

do engines but are they familiar with the Chevy?

Any info/ideas welcome.
Hi Jason,
I know Johno, (John's son) at Agra. Johno is a good friend of my partner's son and is very approachable. Give either of them a ring and speak to them.
I'm afraid I can't give you any info about their work on V-8s but we have used them in the past for work on tractors!
Cheers, Clive

bluetoon
30-10-06, 07:16 PM
Agra did a rebore on my Rover V8. They did a good job with my rebore and it looked like this sort of thing was their bread and butter. worth a phone call :thumb:

jock
30-10-06, 07:56 PM
There was a meeting, I think it used to be once a month which was organised by Ed strachan .The meeting used to be at a different venue each time to share travelling distance.Ed also sent out a newsletter to all scottish members.

dexy
30-10-06, 08:03 PM
Hi

Building Dax de-dion rolling chassis done just getting ready to fit the body if I can get the time and the kids will co-operate
383 chevy and tremec box is the plan.

cheers
Derek

purge98
31-10-06, 10:27 AM
Hi Jason, I know Johno, (John's son) at Agra. Johno is a good friend of my partner's son and is very approachable. Give either of them a ring and speak to them.
I'm afraid I can't give you any info about their work on V-8s but we have used them in the past for work on tractors!
Cheers, Clive
Agra did a rebore on my Rover V8. They did a good job with my rebore and it looked like this sort of thing was their bread and butter. worth a phone call :thumb:

Thanks guys I will definitely ring them. It's always nice to get some form of recommendation.

jamesLS7
08-11-06, 09:41 PM
hi
Building a GD euro chassis with a LS1 and T56 hopefully on the the road early 2007.

Cheers James
Glasgow

Clive
08-11-06, 10:52 PM
hi
Building a GD euro chassis with a LS1 and T56 hopefully on the the road early 2007.

Cheers James
Glasgow
Hi James, and welcome to the Club. Glad to see another builder north of the border.
Cheers, Clive

Clive
08-11-06, 11:39 PM
Hi,

David from Edinburgh - Sumo II Ford 2.8

Any chance of an organised meet in the future?

Ed Srachan has just e-mailed with details of the next meet. If you have not got it PM me with your e-mail address and I'll give you his details.
Clive.

Rob Kyle
11-11-06, 11:47 AM
DB Relicas build scheduled for starting January 2007, should be on the road for spring:drive:

Look forward to any meets and outings in Scotland.

Dax De Dion
Huddart 383 stroker
...& all the bling:)

Cheers
Rob

Clive
11-11-06, 12:45 PM
DB Relicas build scheduled for starting January 2007, should be on the road for spring:drive:

Look forward to any meets and outings in Scotland.

Dax De Dion
Huddart 383 stroker
...& all the bling:)

Cheers
Rob

So that will be about June then, if we are lucky? (Spring I mean!)

Rob Kyle
11-11-06, 12:51 PM
So that will be about June then, if we are lucky? (Spring I mean!)

Yes I know what you mean:D

BTW, I attended the annual AGM meet two years ago orgainised by Ed, is this on again? I have not received any communications:(

CeeJay
11-11-06, 01:24 PM

Hmmm I think I said the same thing last January - and I'm still nowhere near the road!

CeeJay

Clive
11-11-06, 04:07 PM
Yes I know what you mean:D

BTW, I attended the annual AGM meet two years ago orgainised by Ed, is this on again? I have not received any communications:(

Hi Rob, I've sent you a PM.
Clive

ceejayjay
21-11-06, 12:37 PM
Hi to all,

I'm in Edinburgh. Not a builder! - a good tinkerer. Bought a Sumo 3.5 RV8 last summer.Rattles, squeaks, sump cracked open on a sleeping policeman, and it leaks like a sieve. Fantastic - I love it. I didn't buy it for the attention, but wow! - it gets more idolatory than just about anything. Just think for the same dough I could have bought a second hand Mazda MX5.

Chris Jackson

dbm10uk
21-11-06, 05:08 PM
Hi,
My names patrick, building a 5.7 chevy sumo. Should be ready some time next year, friend also owns a 5.7 chevy sumo already completed. We are both in glasgow.

nriddell
22-11-06, 09:47 AM
Nice to have another Scottish member.....I tell you there are more scottish people who are on this forum and into cobras than I first realised. Lets keep this one quiet, but I think we are slowly but surely taking over;) ;) :rotfl: :rotfl:

bogster
22-11-06, 09:57 AM
Oh don't start the scottish/english thing please. I have to listen to it all the time up here. :rotfl:

nriddell
22-11-06, 10:42 AM
Oh don't start the scottish/english thing please. I have to listen to it all the time up here. :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Topper99
22-11-06, 01:11 PM
Hi, Im Ali, currently living in edinburgh but my 'car' is in shropshire. Im in the saving stage of an AK427 with a Rover V8. Using Jag components where i can and the rest from the SD1. These are all cleaned n raring to go.

Just wondering if anyone else out there in Scotland has an AK and if so have they gone hardtop? This is scotland after all! land of rain and wind!

Im also looking for somewhere up here to be able to build my kit when it finally arrives. Anyone got any suggestions? Im a student and cant afford a house of my own with a garage to build, so i guess i'll have to rent! (yeah i know thats gonna cost me my limbs but who doesnt break the balance for a cobra?)

Lemme know.

Cheers

Ali

dbm10uk
22-11-06, 09:49 PM
Hi Ali,
I'm a poor student to, building on a tight budget also.
Hope everything goes well.
Patrick

brakedust
24-11-06, 02:34 AM
names Brett, living in dundee but in glasgow most weekends, looking to build or buy a 2nd hand dax in 2007, if anyone in glasgow or dundee has a built or part built one that i could see that would be ace as i haven't seen one in the flesh, just 1000's of pics and websites, will also hopefully convince the misses that its a good idea!

tooliesjock
29-11-06, 04:37 PM
Hi i,m tooliesjock from the broch
I have a GD rolling chassis with ford power and tremec.I was wondering if anyone in scotland with a GD might allow me to have a look, or indeed even a seat in their car, as i have not previously done so.:)

bluetoon
29-11-06, 04:58 PM
Tooliesjock,

There is a chap in strichen building a GD he also owns a Sumo.
His name is Peter and forum handle is 'tigger', send him a PM. Not sure what stage he is at now, but he had a rolling chassis about a year ago. :thumb:

ralphy
29-11-06, 05:09 PM
hi its andrew and colette from tamworth,we are totaly new to cobras but have just taken the leap from westfields,mk1 pilgrim sumo ford v6:) :p

tooliesjock
29-11-06, 05:09 PM
thanks bluetoon,
couldn,t get much closer than strichen, i,ll try to get in touch with him:)

bluetoon
29-11-06, 05:12 PM
ralphy, welcome to the madhouse :thumb:

tomdigym
29-11-06, 07:43 PM
Hi the names Tommy l live in the Falkirk area,have a PILGRIM SUMO fitted with 3.9 Rover 4 Barrel carb etc.l have met Ed and the gang we visited Arbroath Sea Fest where 7or8 cars made the journey,a few weeks later we all met for lunch at Dunning in Perthshire[around 12 people 3 cobs].

Ginge
29-11-06, 07:52 PM
Hi I'm Ginge i live in Banff in Aberdeenshire. currently have my pilgrim Sumo project on the back burner due to money / family issues. but i'm hoping to get going again by new year. sorry bluetoon that i cant buy that donor package.

bogster
29-11-06, 09:16 PM
names Brett, living in dundee but in glasgow most weekends, looking to build or buy a 2nd hand dax in 2007, if anyone in glasgow or dundee has a built or part built one that i could see that would be ace as i haven't seen one in the flesh, just 1000's of pics and websites, will also hopefully convince the misses that its a good idea!

Hi Brett,

You are welcome to come and see my Dax de dion Cobra (it's a 2005 model). It's almost finished. I stay in Banchory which is about an hour or so away from you. I've really enjoyed building it and can certainly give you a few pointers to watch out for if you intend to build.

PM me for more info. :thumb:

bogster
29-11-06, 09:17 PM
thanks bluetoon,
couldn,t get much closer than strichen, i,ll try to get in touch with him:)

Toolie,

I'm in Banchory, what part of Aberdeen you in? Good to know another build is happening in my area. :thumb:

Ginge
30-11-06, 09:02 AM
I'm Ginge nd i'm from Banff. (proud moment) and i'm currently putting my pilgrim sumo build on hold for money/family reasons.:boohoo:

tooliesjock
30-11-06, 03:09 PM
thanks bogster,
I actually live just outside fraserburgh (the broch):)

tooliesjock
30-11-06, 03:16 PM
I have to admit at how surprised i am at the amount of afflicted souls up here, i thought i would be on my own:)

Clive
30-11-06, 03:28 PM
hi its andrew and colette from tamworth,we are totaly new to cobras but have just taken the leap from westfields,mk1 pilgrim sumo ford v6:) :p

Hi Andrew & Colette, and welcome to the Cobra Club! You have posted in the Scottish section of the Club, perhaps that's why you haven't got many replies.:)

Tigger
30-11-06, 05:04 PM
Hi Jim (Bluetoon)
Good to see you are making steady progress with Sumo. Will you be on the road for next summer?
Regards
Peter (Tigger)

bogster
30-11-06, 05:14 PM

Welcome to the club. :drive:

bluetoon
30-11-06, 05:24 PM
Hi Pete,

Hoping to be on the road late 2007
I am going for a big push in the new year.

How are you getting on with your GD and have you still got the Sumo.

Jim

jamesLS7
30-11-06, 07:58 PM
Hi
Are all my fellow GD builders up north in Aberdeen, am i the only one in the west coast. Have finally finished fitting the roll bars nitemare if anyone about to fit them i,ll tell you where i went wrong. LOOKS BRILLIANT!!!!!

JAMES
GLASGOW

mcartney
30-11-06, 09:54 PM
James

I am in Dundee and building a GDJag MK4. I am currently doing flash lines and cutting holes in body. It is a real pain getting rid of small air bubbles along flash line of doors. Engine is to be fitted soon. I have dialled in bellhousing and am fitting clutch/gearbox this weekend.
Cheers Ian.

Tigger
01-12-06, 02:41 PM
Hi Jim
Good to hear from you again. Are you swanning around the north sea with nothing better to do at the moment than to fiddle around with the site. Its good to have our own little scottish section to play around in. Yes still got sumo and had good year with the weather being good. Some good runs about the area. It has now gone back into hiberation. I shall be looking to sell it in the spring unless you know of any Aberdeen oily guys who might like to buy her indoors a Xmas box with a difference. It could come gift wrapped as part of the deal. The GD427 is still at the skeleton stage. I have just fitted engine/box propshaft wiring loom radiator and a few other bits and bobs which I think is about all I can do before I get the body. Did you see black one in Kit Car. I might go for a similar appearance. All the best for now. Peter

Tigger
01-12-06, 03:10 PM
Hi Jim
Good to hear from you again. I guess u r swanning around the north sea at the moment with nothing better 2 do than play around on the club site. Its great to have our own little scottish bit to play in. Still got sumo and had good fun and runs out during exceptionally good summer. But car now back in hibernation and I will be looking to sell in the spring unless u know of any oily guys in Aberdeen who might wish to buy the better half a Xmas box with a difference. It could come gift wrapped as part of the deal. The GD427 still looks like a skeleton. Have just fitted engine box, propshaft, wiring loom, rads etc. etc. Think I have got as far as I can without body. Did u c black one in Kit Cat mag. I might go 4 similar finish. All the best 4 know. Peter

Tigger
02-12-06, 03:47 PM
Hi Jim of the Bluetoon

Good to hear from you again. I have tried to post twice recently and lost it both times - maybe third time lucky. Still got Sumo and had some good runs out with the great summer weather this year. Will be up for sale in spring unless you know of any oily guys in Aberdeen who may wish to buy better half a Christmas box with a difference. It could come gift wrapped as part of the deal. The GD427 is still a skeleton but have just fitted engine, gearbox, propshaft, rads, fans, loom etc. Its decision time now for the body. I like the look of the black one in the Kit Car and may do something along those lines. All the best for now. Peter.

Tigger
03-12-06, 10:08 AM
ooooooooooooooooooops

dutch paul1
03-12-06, 10:11 AM
ooooooooooooooooooops
You guys seem to be getting a lot of echoes up there :rotfl:

Tigger
03-12-06, 10:23 AM
Yez its the whisky .Thats my excuse anyway

Clive
03-12-06, 12:00 PM
You guys seem to be getting a lot of echoes up there :rotfl:

Yez its the whisky .Thats my excuse anyway

And all the empty roads!:drive:

jamesLS7
04-12-06, 12:28 PM
Hi Iain
The flash lines are a pain. i ended up painting the bulkhead in the engine bay to get a good finish. How did you find cutting the air scoop in the bonnet. Mines getting painted next very hard not to cut into the second skin.

cheers James

mcartney
04-12-06, 06:05 PM
Hi James

I have not purchased a scoop yet but intend to whether I need one or not.
I agree with you concerning cutting back the gel coat. I have some deep scratchs on the doors and do not know if I can get rid of them totally. What do you do if you go thro gel coat. I today been attempting to fit door locks, intrusion beam and mechanism.

Regards Ian.

jamesLS7
05-12-06, 08:29 PM
Hi Iain
Did Andy give you a jar of gel coat paint. Thats what you use. Mine never dryed correctly so on my bulkhead id to use bondo, spray putty and got a paint shop to match the colour in spray cans. it was worth the hassle. the door tops are a different story it would be nearly impossible to hide the paint line. My mate has been trying to talk me into extending the leather from the dash round to the door tops but im still not sure. What have you done to your door tops.

cheers James

mcartney
05-12-06, 09:44 PM
James
I have been using Gel coat and do not find it too bad except for small air bubbles which show up white. (My car is black). The door tops are far from perfect. I think that Dax do a leather covering. I will consider this if I cannot get a good gel coat finish.

Ian.

tooliesjock
15-12-06, 05:42 PM
HI

Ordering my body february. (G.D)

I was just wondering if you guys think it would be better getting the holes pre cut,the panels fitted and the gelcoat polished. I was intending doing them myself, but on reading youre last few posts i wouldn,t mind hearing your thoughts.:)

thanks
T.J.

jamesLS7
21-12-06, 09:51 PM
Hi TJ

It all depends on your budget and if you have a friend that's a spray painter. Ask andy to see a body unprepared ,they mask all the points that need to cut out i had no problem cutting the holes.It was just the flash line in the bulkhead and the door tops that i had to get professional help for!!! What colour have you choosen?

cheers James

mcartney
21-12-06, 10:05 PM
TJ

I agree with James, the cutting of the holes is easy. Buy a Dremel or similar, great little tool.
I have finished the door tops, which took several fills and sanding of the Gel. Looking OK now and doors now hung. This Gel preparation takes time as the Gel takes a day or 2 to harden completely each time.
I have started on engine bay flash. First fill with Isopon and ground out with Dremel. Ready to apply Gel.
At the end of the day it is down to time, or money getting GD to do it.

Regards Ian.

tooliesjock
22-12-06, 04:50 PM
Thanks James and Ian.

James, when you speak about a friend that's a spray painter, do you mean using him for the professional help or for a paint finish?
The colour i (she) has chosen is magenta, same as the G.D. in front of the big house.

Ian, time, i have aplenty (i hope) money h,mm! its just as i mentioned earlier i wanted to do as much as i could myself but as i have no bodywork experience i don't want to take on something which i might make a dogs dinner of, hence the need for guidance from a customers perspective as opposed to the factory

regards maurice

jamesLS7
07-01-07, 10:40 AM
Hi Maurice
Sorry in delay getting back to use. My spray painter friend has helped me get the factory gel coat to look good. As far as a full respray i'll use a proper garage with the correct bake ovens. Touching up and sanding is ok for small body work in a heated garage but not the full monty. It sounds like i've had more the the average problems or just very fussy.overall its not as bad as it my seem. Engine fired first hit of the button!!!!!!! Bring on the SVA.

cheers james:drive:

gilkeen
10-01-07, 07:11 PM
hi there. i am a newbie to this site... i am looking for FORD GRANADA RUNNING GEAR OFF A 1974 MRK 1 3.0l V6........ i am looking for the drivers side driveshart and rear hub assembily... i would be greatfull if anyone could help. you can call me on 07749109525.....
MANY THANKS

gilkeen
10-01-07, 07:14 PM
i Am Looking For A Granda Mrk 1 Running Gear>>>> Please Help........

Ian McIntosh
11-01-07, 08:19 PM
Hello from Grangemouth near Falkirk under the purple smelly clouds from BP, I'm building an AK with Jag running gear and an RPI 3.9 V8

Regards Tosh

callum
09-02-07, 07:08 PM
Been absent from this site for too long. The blue GD 427 (go faster Chevy 350/Tremec etc) rumbling through Leith on Oct 27th was me. I live near Murrayfield and the car has been on the road since May 2002 but I've had few outings lately as I am now building a house. SWMBO is making noises about selling my pride and joy.

JonnyBoy147
11-02-07, 10:55 AM
Hi guys,

Based in west end glasgow, with 20 year old sheldonhurst replica to finish :shock: .

Thinking of 4l V8 BMW after talking to TonyD.

Anyone played with Ford Sierra/Granada LSD. I am interested in how much it lockes up , when you have the car in gear rear wheels jacked up and try to spin one wheel by hand.

Thinking i have been sold a non LSD unit from a granada scorpio when i wanted LSD :evil: .

Later

Jon

Bob Paterson
21-02-07, 06:56 PM
Hi guys. Ive been a member since 1997 and I am amazed at the number of builders out there in Scotland who have not been in contact with Ed or come to one of the Sunday lunches. There are about 7 members who have met regularly for years but others just seem to turn up once, get the info and disappear. Ed works hard to try and encourage people to join us on the outings but little success. We get up to the north east at least once each year for a weekend. Last year it was Fyvie castle, this year we plan to go to Brodie castle. Weekend at Bute early June. 4 of us are going on the ferrry to Bruges for a 5 day break in July.
Attending a couple of shows in the central belt but after years of shows we now prefer to have touring weekends or one day picnics.
Hope some of you can meet us this year even if you do not have the cobras on the road.
Bob

bluetoon
21-02-07, 08:13 PM
Hi Bob,
I recieved the newsletter from Ed and will come to Brodie Castle with my tin top as the Cobra will not be finished.
Hopefully see you there.
Jim

Tigger
21-02-07, 08:21 PM
Hi Jim
When is this?

Cheers Peter

bluetoon
21-02-07, 08:31 PM
Peter,
I will post Ed's news letter in a new thread under scotland area

Hope he doesnt mind ?
Jim

Tigger
21-02-07, 08:55 PM
Thnx Jim
All is revealed just need to get those wheels rollin
Peter

Clarkson
21-02-07, 11:05 PM
Hey,Can I say hello in the Scottish section??

I'm scottish,born in Glasgow,(Unfortunately now living in London) my family now live in blair outside perth. Hope to be up in the Cobra soon as the weather warms up a bit!

We have to meet up for a pint! :D

scubamonkey
21-02-07, 11:08 PM
Hello,
I've been following the forum for a few years now. Due to time constraints (and no technical know-how!) i bought a pilgrim that someone else had built. It's got the rover 3.5l v8 and seems to be pretty well put together. Living in the north east scotland - moray - when i'm in the country. Will definitely be at the Brodie do if i'm not away with work.
P.S. Anyone know of any garages 'sympathetic' with cobra owners up near inverness?

Cheers

Keith S
22-02-07, 08:55 AM
scabamonkey,
I sold my Sumo to a guy from Fife and I saw it for sale at the end of last year on Autotrader.
is yours blue with magnolia seats?

scubamonkey
22-02-07, 10:26 AM
Keith,
No it's blue with a black interior. Bought off ebay from a guy near london - made for an interesting first drive - 10 hours in the rain. Was still smiling though!

mattymouse
14-09-07, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

I just clocked this thread and thought I'd try and get a little list going with the potential of a weekend meet/catch up.

Bluetoon (from Peterhead) - Sumo Rover V8 (finished?)
Spaticus (near Lanark) - Dax Dion Chevy V8 (finished?)
Purge98 (Aberdeen) - Dax Chevy V8 (still in one piece? :D)
Bogster (Banchory) - Dax Dion Chevy V8
Clive (Perth) - Hawk Ford V8
Jock (Falkirk) - Pilgrim Chevy V8
MCartney (Dundee) - GD Chevy V8 (finished?)
CeeJay (Perth) - Viper V8 (finished?)
nriddell (Edinburgh) - Dax Dion Chevy V8
Davecw000 (Edinburgh) - Sumo Ford 2.8
dexy (Culbokie Black Isle) - Dax dion Chevy V8
JamesLS7 (Glasgow) - DG with V8
Rob Kyle (East Kilbride) - Dax Dion Huddart Racing V8
ceejayjay (Edinburgh) - Sumo V8
dbm10uk (Glasgow) - Sumo V8
Topper99 (Edinburgh) - AK V8 (gar in Scotland yet?)
Ralphy (tamworth) - Sumo V6
tomdigym (Falkirk) - Sumo V8
Ginge (Banff) - Sumo (finished?)
gilkeen (Glasgow) - Unknown Cobra (finished?)
Ian MacIntosh (Grangemouth) - AK V8 (finished?)
Callum (Edinburgh) - GD Checy V8 (still own?)
jonnyBoy147 (Glasgow) - Sheldonhurst Replica BMW V8 (finished?)
scubamonkey (Moray) - Sumo V8
mattymouse (Glasgow) - Dax Chevy V8 with DB hardtop

Please cut and paste as you like!

regards,

Matthew

Sparticus
14-09-07, 04:02 PM
Hi all,

I just clocked this thread and thought I'd try and get a little list going with the potential of a weekend meet/catch up.

Bluetoon (from Peterhead) - Sumo Rover V8 (finished?)
Sparticus (Glasgow) - Dax Dion Chevy V8 (sent for spraying, SVA March 08 )
Purge98 (Aberdeen) - Dax Chevy V8 (still in one piece? :D)

regards,

Matthew

Good work Matt, just updated my details

bluetoon
14-09-07, 10:38 PM
Hi all,

Bluetoon (from Peterhead) - Sumo Rover V8 (SVA spring08 8))
Purge98 (Aberdeen) - Dax Chevy V8 (still in one piece? )
Tigger (strichen) - (sumo V8 for sale?, GD in progress)

regards,

Matthew

mcartney
15-09-07, 12:23 AM
Hi all,

Bluetoon (from Peterhead) - Sumo Rover V8 (SVA spring08 )
MCartney (Dundee) - GD Chevy V8

regards,

grizzly_a58
16-09-07, 02:50 PM
like jock, falkirk area. still building. 4yrs? mk2 rover v8.

cobrascim
16-09-07, 03:20 PM
Used to be Maverick on the old site.
Previously owned a Cheetah Cobra in the 90s
SVA passed Tues 4th Sept.
SRV8 289ci.
DVLA guy coming out this Tuesday 18th when he gets back from his holidays.
First run hopefully the following weekend show at Culzean castle.
John.

Andy76
25-09-07, 01:39 PM
Hi Guys

Details added, I never realised there were so many in the central area. I would be up for a meet sometime......weather permitting

Andy

Hi all,

Andy76 (Falkirk)- Dax, Chevy V8

regards,

cobrascim
30-09-07, 10:22 PM
Just to update the list.

Cobrascim or Maverick(Kilmarnock)-SRV8 Ford 289ci

fly fifer
05-11-07, 03:52 PM
Steve here from Broughty Ferry....took delivery of a Sumo Mk3 March this year, suspension done..brakes done..wiring done...V8 engine due from Ireland November 07.

ceejayjay
12-11-07, 04:16 PM
Chaps

Sumo gone - now have Ram 427SC with 430bhp 460ci Big Block Chevy. Awesome!

Sparticus
12-11-07, 06:02 PM
Just to update the list.

Sparticus (Glasgow) - Dax Dion Chevy V8 (sprayed, now refitting brightwork, SVA March 08 )
Cobrascim or Maverick(Kilmarnock)-SRV8 Ford 289ci

Clive
14-11-07, 11:44 PM
Just out of interest, are any of you guys considering going to the LeMans Classic next year (10 - 13 July 2008 ), or The Silverstone Classic (25 - 27 July 2008 )?

grizzly_a58
16-11-07, 09:44 PM
hmmmmm, mmmmmmmm, mmmmm, will i keep going on? hmm, bugger it, i am taking up banjo playing,

cobrascim
27-11-07, 12:03 AM
Clive,
I have just booked my ferry up for the Le Mans Classic. Leave Rosyth Thurs 10th July and come back on Mondays ferry arriving back Tuesday. Have not sorted out camping/admission etc yet. I have sent a message to Ed tonight to send out to the list to see if anyone else was going or would want to.
Me and the wife and my mate Andy and wife in his V8 Marcos are going.
John.

Impulsebooks
27-11-07, 10:27 AM
Dax 5.3 V12 Tojeiro. Bought about 14 years ago and built by me with a friend's help in my garage. I'm still here in Essex where the car was born :)

fly fifer
30-11-07, 11:27 PM
sumo mk3 arrived march 2007, brakes suspension electrics done, engine arrived nov 2007,...will be ticking till 2009.....maybe

Clive
02-01-08, 11:47 PM
Clive,
I have just booked my ferry up for the Le Mans Classic. Leave Rosyth Thurs 10th July and come back on Mondays ferry arriving back Tuesday. Have not sorted out camping/admission etc yet. I have sent a message to Ed tonight to send out to the list to see if anyone else was going or would want to.
Me and the wife and my mate Andy and wife in his V8 Marcos are going.
John.

Cost of Rosyth/Zeebrugge ferry, one car and two passengers sharing cabin 566.30 return if booked before the end of January. ;)

cobrascim
10-01-08, 08:43 PM
Clive,
Got it for 477. Clicked the supersaver and booking early option on the pull down menu at the bottom of the page.
John.

Clive
12-01-08, 11:05 PM
Clive,
Got it for 477. Clicked the supersaver and booking early option on the pull down menu at the bottom of the page.
John.
Hi John,
Managed to get it for 444.62! (Passenger gets student rates).
Hope to see you on the boat, How will we recognize each other? :p
Perhaps I should wear a red carnation! :D

Purple AK
12-01-08, 11:28 PM
Hi John,
Managed to get it for 444.62! (Passenger gets student rates).
Hope to see you on the boat, How will we recognize each other? :p
Perhaps I should wear a red carnation! :D
And I thought you Scots were Fickle!!! :o Newhaven - Le Havre/Dieppe return is 90 normal rate! I should get it down to between 40-60 with the group booking :rolleyes:

Clive
12-01-08, 11:54 PM
And I thought you Scots were Fickle!!! :o Newhaven - Le Havre/Dieppe return is 90 normal rate! I should get it down to between 40-60 with the group booking :rolleyes:

Hi Chris,
The original quote in November was 1,160.46 !!!
I thought about driving down to the south coast but a round trip of 1,060 miles at a max of 20 mpg to Newhaven plus two nights accommodation would push the cost up to around the same.

cobrascim
14-01-08, 07:43 PM
Good Clive - just didn't want you paying over the odds.
Maybe Chris will buy us a beer then seeing as he's saving all that money.
We'll be heading over to Rosyth early enough to ensure all is OK so we can arrange a meet before we get on possibly. If not will wear something cobra-y.
John.

cameron
21-02-08, 10:19 PM

Hi there,
Just got a unfinished pilgrim sumo mrk 2 with 2.8 engine, but just found v8 to put in her but it's got a auto box so have to find manual gearbox.
I stay in morayshire so anyone local with extra parts give me a shout cos needing few bits,
Thanks Cameron

Blondie Bee
28-02-08, 05:49 PM
Hiya,Just joined today. I hope to own a Cobra after i sell our Caterham and hubby gets me one for my birthday in may:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:. I stay and work on a farm outside Lockerbie.

qkingston
28-02-08, 11:30 PM
Hi

David fm Helensburgh

Euro 427/ RV8 racing engine/ body on
Been building for 3 years, but spent alot of time away these last 2 yrs. Seeing the concerns about the end of the SVA next Mar, anyone had experience of the test centre in Glasgow, Bishopbriggs ???

Regards

David

Geoff's Project
02-03-08, 08:37 AM
Hi Guy just thought that I would add my name to the North of the Border List as I have just bought my first bit:), well actually its only the Dax Dion Assembly Manual;), but hey we all have to start somewhere.
Could someone let me know about any 'Meets' up here, would be interested in coming along to see your cars and get some advice. Oh and I have subscribed to the Cobra Club.

Sparticus (Glasgow) - Dax Dion Chevy V8 (sprayed, now refitting brightwork, SVA March 08 )
Cobrascim or Maverick(Kilmarnock)-SRV8 Ford 289c
Geoff' Project (Arbroath) - Dax Dion Assembly Manual

mcartney
02-03-08, 10:52 AM
Hello Geoff
I am probably closest to you in Monifieth.
My build is very near to completion, a Gardner Douglas MK4.
Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Ian.

cobrascim
03-03-08, 07:56 PM
Hi David,
No problems whatsoever with Bishopbriggs. The guys there have been doing it for some time now and are very helpfull. Just passed mine in August.
Welcome to all the new members.
John.

qkingston
04-03-08, 01:37 PM
And list updated - there's alot more than I thought!

qkingston (Helensburgh) - Euro 427 RV8, body on

xX vedder Xx
11-03-08, 05:36 PM
And list updated - there's alot more than I thought!

xXvedderXx (Montrose) - rebuilding 3.9V8 (don't know what kit yet?)

Geoff's Project
13-03-08, 09:23 PM
Could someone let me know about any 'Meets' up here, would be interested in coming along to see your cars and get some advice. Oh and I have subscribed to the Cobra Club.

Just thought I would raise this question again, do the guys in Scotland have a regular 'Meet', with over 30 Scots members on the list it might be a good idea, especially for new-comers such as me.

A 'Meet' somewhere around Stirling or Perth would be my suggestion, when possibly end of April or early May, venue, absolutely no idea.

What do you think, any suggestions.

Cheers

Geoff

Clive
13-03-08, 11:32 PM
Hi Geoff,
The Scottish area rep is Ed Strachan, but he doesn't seem to use the Forum (And is not in the list of members on this post). He does try to organise a meeting on a monthly basis at various venues around the country. He should e-mail you with details of meetings.

Purple AK
13-03-08, 11:59 PM
Hi Geoff,
The Scottish area rep is Ed Strachan, but he doesn't seem to use the Forum (And is not in the list of members on this post). He does try to organise a meeting on a monthly basis at various venues around the country. He should e-mail you with details of meetings.
Geoff. PM me if you want ED's contact details ;)

Miket
14-03-08, 12:03 AM
Geoff. PM me if you want ED's contact details ;)

Ed's phone number and e-mail are in Snake Torque Mag.;) :D

Purple AK
14-03-08, 12:13 AM
Ed's phone number and e-mail are in Snake Torque Mag.;) :D
Valid Point. But if Geoff is recently joined he won't have had a copy yet ;)

fly fifer
14-03-08, 10:56 PM
now on list.

Fly Fifer ( Dundee ) - Sumo Jrv8 engine in.

cameron
16-03-08, 08:10 AM
now on list.

cameron (moray) - Sumo 2.8 soon to be rv8

cobrascim
17-03-08, 01:52 PM
I was at the club meeting last week in Bridge of Allan.
Didn't see any/many of you there.
This meeting was to arrange what runs and events would be a good idea to attend this year.
The feeling of the attendees was to actually run the cars and go further afield with possible stay overs. This is as opposed to sitting in a field at shows.
I like to support a lot of the local shows and some of the others throughout Scotland as well as heading down to Stoneleigh.
What are the feelings of the other membership?
Maybe worth starting a thread in the events section to let people know which shows they will be attending this year. We have a local Scottish Kit Car Club meet down in Kilmarnock second wednesday of every month and as a group we discuss good shows to attend and impromptu runs if we just decide it is a good day.
John.

Geoff's Project
17-03-08, 07:11 PM
John

I was asking earlier in this thread about Scottish Meets and I was informed that Ed Strachan organised them, I did send him an email but as yet I have not had a reply.

Is there any chance of getting the meets and Scottish shows added to the callendar. If there are any weekend meets in central scotland, I would be interested in coming along, I have not started my build, so now is the time for me to ask the questions.

Geoff

cobrascim
17-03-08, 08:15 PM
I know there is no consistent place for a meet and there wasn't any over the christmas period. Over the last while I think the meets have been mainly runs to various places in the cars. (I didn't attend for many years while my builds were under way as it took time away from the car.) This obviously doesn't help the guys thinking of building a Cobra unless they know there is a run to your area.
Send another email to Ed (address is in snake torque) to see if there is any static meets coming up.
I know that in the past the cars were widespread over Scotland and there wasn't that many cobra owners. So getting a local meet and decent turnout was always difficult to achieve. There seems to be a lot more. 32 on this list now probably not all members but that shouldn't stop us like minded people meeting up.
John.

ceejayjay
21-03-08, 10:16 AM
Steve

Change me to RAM 427SC Chevy Big Block
Thanks for doing this
Chris

marseppe
09-11-08, 03:05 PM
Kelty, Fife.

Not started mine wont be till Jan 09

bluetoon
09-11-08, 03:38 PM
Updated
Anybody know of any meetings for 09 ?

Bluetoon (from Peterhead) - Sumo Rover V8
ceejayjay (Edinburgh) - RAM 427SC Chevy Big Block
Tigger (strichen) - GD
Kelty, (Fife.) still planning

gavk
09-11-08, 05:45 PM
Hi

Gavin from london

Own a KCC with Ford 302 & Toploader

Clive
09-11-08, 05:47 PM
Hi

Gavin from london

Own a KCC with Ford 302 & Toploader

Everyone wants to be Scottish! :rolleyes: ;)

Clive
09-11-08, 05:54 PM
Updated
Anybody know of any meetings for 09 ?

I've never heard anything from Ed Strachan for months. :(

gavk
09-11-08, 06:37 PM
oops

sorry, didnt read the title!

Purple AK
09-11-08, 06:40 PM
I've never heard anything from Ed Strachan for months. :(
Hi Clive. I have emailed Ed (and the other Reps) asking him to post events and meets on the calendar. Here's the reply....

"The details of how to contact me are defined in the Snake Torque. Currently we have no events arranged for 2009. However, on the point of communication, I've requested information from Marion concerning who the current paid up Scottish members are, via email and also in a letter that I sent with a cd concerning a couple of reports for the magazine. I'm assuming Marion is busy and unable to manage to get this type of information out to the reps. Therefore as you are the Area Rep Liaison person may I suggest that you take on this task and send out a current list to all the area reps identifying who is currently a member. At present I have no way of knowing who is still in the club and no way of contacting new members unless they contact me. I therefore find it difficult to arrange meetings for the members if I can't get in touch with the current members. Hopefully you can help out in this area.

regards

Ed.S"

It would appear from this that Ed doesn't use the forum, and has no plans for any meets in 2009 as yet.
I don't have access to the membership list he requested, but I will speak to Marion and see if I can get one.
I still feel that contact should also be posted on here as how else are new/prospective members going to know what is going on. Maybe you or someone that does post here could add things to the calendar?

TINKA
09-11-08, 07:19 PM
I still feel that contact should also be posted on here as how else are new/prospective members going to know what is going on. Maybe you or someone that does post here could add things to the calendar?[/FONT]

They join the Club and can then see all the info in the club magazine

Purple AK
09-11-08, 08:03 PM
They join the Club and can then see all the info in the club magazine
I can't believe you just said that Tink's :( That is just Blackmail! How are new people supposed to know what the Club has to offer them in their area when it's not posted here? Sorry but that sort of comment just shows the club as a closed shop! No wonder membership is dwindling!

Clive
27-11-08, 12:34 AM
The Scottish Regional Meetings that are listed in Snaquetorque are extremely vague and are only the 2nd Sunday of the 2nd Month, but it is up to the member to contact Ed for details.

purge98
27-11-08, 05:20 PM
Sounds like a lively club with nothing planned for 2009.

I'd better join right away.

Purple AK
27-11-08, 06:03 PM
Guys. Can I make a suggestion?
Ed is apparently out of the country for the best part of the year. So I guess that is why there are not that many organised meets. I also appreciate that Scotland is a big place and you are pretty well spread out! So, Heres the idea...
12 of you, between yourselves, (maybe via Pm, Phone or on the Scottish Forum) each pick a month and go find a suitable Pub, Event, BBQ etc to host your own personal meet for your delegated month. Then post it on here and in the calender. The entry in Snake Torque could read "Roving please look on Scotland - Cobra Club Forums (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/scotland/) for details" Or if you can organise it early enough, The details can be included in Snake Torque.
This way it A. Gets meets organised. B. Spreads them around your area. And C. Takes the pressure off of Ed.
Just an Idea ;)

jamieM
02-12-08, 08:29 AM
smells abit like the west wilts/north somerset......cant understand why the forum isnt used for arranging meets. its seems so isolated and clearly must work only in pockets.....is it down to the rep?? in which case, how do you get to be a rep? its often talked about breaking into splinter groups which is clearly not the answer. Why did big Tone hand in the reins? frustrated by lack of commitment?
It just doesnt make sense to me that people arent interested in encouraging others to get together, to show off these cars, make them more widely desirable by meeting 'en masse', and drive up the value of them by getting more people than just those that attend kit car shows (and thus are already aware of Cobra replicas) into the mindset of "WOW! I want one". Thats what got me interested....
Soapbox- off now.
PS did get a PM re a christmas dinner from our local rep, but its not posted on the forum, so Im going to do it on his behalf....

Cousto
21-01-09, 04:44 PM
Hi Neil,

Shane from Haddington here. I'm a Pilgrim Sumo Rover v8 owner and would appreciate being added to the list. Fingers crossed for some sun this year.

geowan23
09-02-09, 07:23 PM
Hi George from Dundee, too impatient to build so decided just to buy fully finished article so picked up a Pilgrim Summo this weekend.

Clive
09-02-09, 07:37 PM
Well done George, where did it come from? Not the best weekend weather wise to be driving an open top car.
Whereabouts in Dundee are you?

CeeJay
09-02-09, 08:26 PM

Hi its Craig here from Scone, Perth.

5 years into my six month Viper build...

sheesh....

CeeJay.

CeeJay
09-02-09, 08:29 PM
Not the best weekend weather wise to be driving an open top car.
Whereabouts in Dundee are you?

Clive I've spent the past weekend blasting about Perth in my Mark 1 MX5 - with the roof down at all times! Makes everyone else look like soft jessies!

Although I admit my WW2 style flying jacket does help me just a wee bit...

CeeJay.

geowan23
10-02-09, 09:02 AM
Picked up the Summo from nottingham and since the weather has been so nice, I decided to bring it back on a trailer. I am in broughty ferry area must be near to Ian I guess.

Cheers

mcartney
10-02-09, 01:53 PM
Hi George

I am in Monifieth. I have a Black GD, but have rarely been out due to the crap weather. Cobras are becoming quite common in this area.
I have a friend building a Sumo. He lives also in B/Ferry. He is member on this forum ( Fly Fifer ).

Enjoy your Cob, regards Ian.

Geoff's Project
10-02-09, 06:28 PM
Hi George

I'm in Arbroath, just 6 months into a build, so a long way to go yet, enjoy your cobra, I'll get there one day.

geowan23
10-02-09, 07:17 PM
Hi, is there a list of events in Scotland on this forum and Ian, I hope to see your GD cobra when the better weather allows us to venture out, I have read a lot of good things about the GD replicas but never seen one in the flesh. Geoff what are you building and at what stage are you at.

Cheers

George

Geoff's Project
10-02-09, 08:27 PM
George

I'm building a Dax De Dion, (soon to be called Dax 427) and will put a Chevy small block in it.
I received the chassis last week and I'm fitting the suspension parts to it at the moment.

fly fifer
11-02-09, 10:49 AM
hi George

thought i would be the only one with a sumo up here,( common as muck ) though just think of the joy you missed out on by building one..!! what about a pic of your new toy...curious about the colour as i am close to getting mine painted and would hate to be a twin.!!

hope to meet some day

Geoff's Project
16-02-09, 08:39 PM
Updated

Tigger (strichen) - GD
Geoff's Project (Arbroath) - Dax Dion Chassis. (with bits bolted on)

wobble
16-02-09, 08:53 PM
Tigger (strichen) - GD
Geoff's Project (Arbroath) - Dax Dion Chassis. (with bits bolted on)
wobble (Cawdor) -building a Dax

Hermes
17-02-09, 09:48 AM
Hi,
Phil from Shrewsbury.
Ordered a factory built AK427, going to AK on Wednesday to see it during build, should be delivered by end of this month.

purge98
17-02-09, 09:54 AM
Where in Scotland is Shrewsbury?

Hermes
17-02-09, 10:14 AM
Oooop's mis read the thread, thought it was a general question not just for Scotland

Clive
17-02-09, 05:03 PM
Where in Scotland is Shrewsbury?

In the county of Englandshire. :twisted: ;)

Gilbert Keenan
23-02-09, 08:31 PM
Pilgrim Sumo with Ford v6 stage 3 tune.
Living Barrhead area south of Paisley
Had the car for 18 mounths now

geowan23
24-02-09, 09:37 AM
Hi Steve, the coulour is Ford Blue Azure, it is on the extra tims of paint I was given from the very sad previous owner /builder.

Cheers
George

iswinfen
03-03-09, 10:36 PM
Hi there,

I live just outside Dundee and own a '92 burgundy Dax with a chevy 350 v8. Was going to build one, but then chickened out and bought it from its second owner in 2000 at the Stoneleigh show. He kept it immaculate.

Has been a love-hate relationship since, including a full engine rebuild (cracked block due to original overboring) and more recently (ok 3 years ago!) a minor disagreement with a dry stone dyke.

Have spent the last 3 years building an extension, so have only just now started to repair it. Nothing too bad, brightwork's stuffed and steering rack bent. Some cracks and scrapes in the bodywork which shouldn't prove too bad.

Anyone recommend someone who could do a good job of repairing the fibreglass and touchup the paint? Difficulty being I don't know the source of the paint...

Anyway - this forum has been great already - sourcing a replacement rack. Hopefully have the V8 tearing up Dundee centre again soon :)

Richard.

callum
06-03-09, 01:20 PM
By keeping a low profile and making weak attempts to sell I still have my GD albeit I now live near Biggar where the roads are better suited. Anyone in the market for a well specced GD can send me a note. In these times I would haggle but I have no immediate need to be robbed! Callum

alfiebeard
22-03-09, 10:24 PM
I own a Jaguar based Pilgrim Sumo Cobra with a 4ltr RV8 in Porsche blue I live in Annan near Gretna, I go to most local Vintage rallies with my old Star Orion Tourer and this year I will be going to the Carlisle Rallies and possibly Moffat Rally in my Cobra so hope to see some of you at some point.:D
Alfie B

callum
16-04-09, 09:39 AM
Anyone able to let me in on the secret of how I now re-advertise my GD in Classifieds? Cannot find a link for the life of me!

Clive
16-04-09, 09:53 AM
Hi Callum,
Top of the Home Page in the blue banner, click on "Classifieds", then in the blue banner (Second from top, right hand side) click on "Place an Ad" then follow the 3 steps.
I think you have to be a paid up member to use this facility.

callum
16-04-09, 08:29 PM
Clive, Thank you - clearly my Scottish thrift (I have not yet renewed) has been my undoing but I still have a Cobra to sell! Until then........
First registered in May 2002 my Gardner Douglas has done a whisker over 8,000 trouble free miles from the Scottish Highlands to the Pyrenees. Jaguar (Daimler!) based the engine is a 4 bolt mains Chevy .30 thou overbored and was shipped in from PAW California as a kit I built myself with: Edelbrock Perfomer RPM heads and cam, Torker II manifold etc., with all the desirable chrome and alloy bits. The gearbox was a Repower Tremec kit and it runs on Proxes/Image wheels. Trim is all leather in two tone Blue and the paint job pearlescent Taihiti Blue (late lamented Rover). Photos (on request by pm) should tell anyone what else they might need to know and to secure a sale the best offer over 19K secures. 01899 830557 (Scottish Borders)

RICHARDEASTHAM
10-05-09, 07:32 PM
I have just moved to scotland, well say just, been here about 2 years, but, in that time "just" got the cob back up and running after a little accident on Knockhill the week I got up here, nothing lasts forever not even big end bearings....
Where are ya all and where do you meet and when?

Let me know, when it stops raining would love to meet some guys in scotland

mcartney
10-05-09, 07:53 PM
Richard

There are quite a few Cobra owners in Scotland, but no regular meets as far as I know.
I think that we should get together sometime, weather permitting.
Perhaps we should start by suggesting a central location and then setting a date.
If we can get a few owners together then great.
I live in Dundee, so somewhere around Perth might be a reasonable choice.

Regards Ian.

cobrascim
12-05-09, 11:22 PM
We should really try and get a big gathering at least once to put some faces to names.
I live around Kilmarnock and would think the Stirling Area would be pretty much central for a good Cobra gathering. I have no problems travelling up to Perth mind you - lovely area.
Now who do I know lives around Perth????

John.

RICHARDEASTHAM
13-05-09, 08:58 AM
Could I have done with one of you last night...... just had the engine out the cob for re shelling bing ends.... eingine's in and running.... yee ha!! had to put the gear box on from underneath, now realise the predicament I was in last night, car is sat on 4 axle stands, not much room to manover under there for the "big lad", I have g/box resting on chest and I'm stuck, its in that place where I need soneone to pass me the jack as it's just out of reach....... I'm wrestling round to find my mobile to call the missus...... bloody hell, no phone...... aaaaggghhhh!!!! I'm in work this morning and the gear box is on... finally. HOW DID I GET OUT ALIVE???

I will be up and running this weekend, a run to Perth would be the prefect trial run for me, I'm in Dunfermline.

Shall I put a date in calendar for the first Scottish meet?

Richard Eastham " BIG LAD" :twisted:

Sparticus
13-05-09, 11:29 AM
if your passing up this way going up to perth drop in...i'm just off the M74 at Hamilton.

Si

mcartney
13-05-09, 01:12 PM
The Glover Arms, Crieff Road has a reasonable car park and is easy to find.
How about setting a date soon while the weather is good.

Ian.

Geoff's Project
13-05-09, 07:47 PM
Keep me in the loop, I'd be interested in coming along to a meet, I'm still building mine, so I would have to come in the tin top, but it would be good to talk tips and advice and have a bit of a nosey of course.

cobrascim
15-05-09, 01:33 AM
We should keep the momentum up on a meet and try to get most of the people that put their names on the list in the earlier posts.
A good place to meet is required. I think the best idea would be to gather in a country park or the like with parking facilities. Gives people the chance to see the cars and have a blether. Meeting up over lunch would mean too much time spent on eating paying bills and only talking to 1 or 3 at a time depending on where you are sitting. If it were Perth I would travel up and grab a bite just before the meet. In future meets (if there are any) we can do lunch etc if required.
Or if there is a car show central scotland we could make an effort to go and meet there.
What are other's thoughts?
John.

RICHARDEASTHAM
15-05-09, 07:37 AM
Like the club scene, and like the idea of a scottish meet, the guys down in england are all geared up to this meet thing with regular meets through the summer months. I was member of the CRC my local meet was the Northern meet with some really good attendances, we used to meet in pub car parks, with the prior approval of the facility, thy really welcome clubs as they get big business, the co-pilots used to eat inside and fetch pop for the drivers who used to stand guard gassing. Like the idea of a country park and a samich though!!
There is an american muscle car and british hot rod meet in Dunfermline regularly, I can do some digging and we could start off tagging along with them for the first one or two until we have a good attendance and then we could do the splinter group thing when we look like we have a possy!:cool:
Do we have an area rep for the CRC? Would be good to get their backing.

Andy76
20-05-09, 09:00 PM
Guys

I would be up for this, I am in Falkirk so fairly central for travelling. Just say when.

Andy

The club rep for Scotland is Ed Strachan, not sure if he uses the forum or not though

jock
31-05-09, 02:42 PM
Just a quick note to say that I had received an e-mail from Ed in the last couple of weeks with a note of a few events and drives that were planned .Just wondered if anyone else had received the same.Its the first time I have received an e-mail as it is usually a letter.

mcartney
31-05-09, 11:49 PM
This weekend has been perfect for getting out in our Cobras. I have enjoyed driving many miles this weekend but it would have been better to have met up with some of the other Scots Cobra owners. Lets hope the great weather continues. May I propose that should the good weather allow, then as many of us as possible gather next Saturdy / Sunday at Perth / Stirling and further posts on this forum this week, make this happen. I can take a passenger if any local Cobra builder would like to attend.

Ian.

Clive
01-06-09, 12:44 AM
Hi Ian,
Sorry I won't be able to make this Saturday (6th) It is Perth Airshow. Perhaps you could meet up there though. If we had thought about it sooner we could've organised a pitch there.
Perth Airshow 2009 (http://www.perthairshow.com/)

Sparticus
01-06-09, 12:54 AM
Can't make it next weekend because i'm in Poland. Would definitely be up for the following weekend. Perth or Stirling sounds good......How about Bridge of Allan at the "Meadow Park"? food is good and they have an alright carpark and outside seating.

meadow park stirling - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=meadow+park+stirling&fb=1&split=1&gl=uk&view=text&latlng=13897502980237557693)

What i will say is....under no circumstances on a nice day am i going to Loch Lomond again.....was stuck in traffic from the paisley side of erskine bridge to Duck bay marina for about an hour or more.

Si

cobrascim
02-06-09, 11:32 PM
The following Sat/Sun would be better for me to as I'm in Brussels this weekend.
I'm nightshift a week on saturday but would still try to make it along from Kilmarnock.
Stirling would suit me fine.
John.

mcartney
03-06-09, 12:06 PM
Tayside Classic Car Show is on the 14th at Errol. ( Handy for Clive ). I may visit as it was good last year. I think there may still be spaces to show our cars or just meet up.
This may be too far for some of you to travel to but would suit me as I am on call that day.
What are your feelings.

Ian.

Geoff's Project
03-06-09, 07:24 PM
I might fancy going along to that, what time does it start / finish

Andy76
03-06-09, 08:07 PM
Guys

I can't do the next couple of weekends but agree with others that this would be best done soon whilst thee is momentum behind it and before the holiday season starts.

i will keep my eye open for the date of the meet.

How about penciling in a few dates for coming months? A sunday of each month maybe just until things get going and a few people get together. Location could move to suit attendees as it seems that we all live busy lives.

Jock

Where in Falkirk are you? I'm Polmont

Andy

mcartney
03-06-09, 08:28 PM
If weather is fair, then I will be going to the Tayside Classic Car Show. Our 2009 show (http://www.taysideclassiccarclub.co.uk/Show-2.html)
Anyone interested in meeting up give me a PM or post here and we can get things started.
Continued meets monthly are a good idea but even more frequent to start with will get this going. How about the following weekend 21st at Bridge of Allan.
Ian.

jock
04-06-09, 02:16 AM
Have to admit that although Ed always keeps me informed off the yearly events I haven't attended much ( all blame resting with myself I admit ) problem is I have a static caravan at Loch Lomond and all my time off is spent there. By the way Andy I live in Shieldhill just a couple of mile up the road from you.

mcartney
13-06-09, 04:15 PM
If anyone is going to The Tayside Classic Car Show tommorow at Errol, give me a PM.
I will be there. Look for my Cobra in car park.

Ian.

Peteruk
13-06-09, 04:27 PM
Pilgrim Sumo Mk2 I think (how do you tell the difference?) built and SVA'D 2001 Red with 5.7ltr Chevy.

Clive
13-06-09, 05:43 PM
Pilgrim Sumo Mk2 I think (how do you tell the difference?) built and SVA'D 2001 Red with 5.7ltr Chevy.
I think you have posted this in the wrong thread. ;)

SHUG
13-07-09, 11:51 PM

Thanks:thumb:shug north berwick east lothian.dax tojiero 5 litre ford -second engine-:( rebuilt-run in on various piston head runs.:)

SHUG
14-07-09, 12:02 AM
Here we go again-posted wrong box..dax tojerio 5 litre ford short block-second one:( rebuilt and run in at various piston head runs:twisted:north berwick east lothian.

Clive
15-07-09, 12:49 AM
Hi Shug,
Welcome. North Berwick brings back many happy memories starting with Sunday School trips, outdoor swimming pool, Various girlfriends and more recently golf. Lovely part of the country with some great driving roads and always good weather. (But we'll keep that to ourselves! ;))

malcy.t
16-07-09, 08:54 PM

Hi, I have a GD mk4 I got through SVA in Aberdeen in March, it's dark blue, black inside with no overriders or unneccesssryness. It has an EDA Chev 350. Done 2K miles since, (between the showers), we are in Easter Ross near Tain, and are to be found heading west whenever possible. Generally camping trips at weekends within walking distance of pub, eg Applecross, Durness, that sort of place.
Malcy.t

Clive
17-07-09, 12:17 AM
Hi Malcy,
That wasn't you I passed on that hot sunny Saturday morning of 30 May around noon?
I was heading East along the main street in Banchory with two other 289s and saw a dark blue 427 in traffic heading West. ;)

malcy.t
17-07-09, 10:34 PM
Hi Malcy,
That wasn't you I passed on that hot sunny Saturday morning of 30 May around noon?
I was heading East along the main street in Banchory with two other 289s and saw a dark blue 427 in traffic heading West. ;)
Yes it more than likely was, we were at the Moto Guzzi Club Scottish rally (honestly, long time member with Le Mans II, don't ask why we weren't on that), and heading on club run to Inverurie via nice roads. Every body loved the GD and the noise it makes, high praise from Italian V twin owners!
Regards, Malcy

Clive
17-07-09, 11:28 PM
Yes it more than likely was, we were at the Moto Guzzi Club Scottish rally (honestly, long time member with Le Mans II, don't ask why we weren't on that), and heading on club run to Inverurie via nice roads. Every body loved the GD and the noise it makes, high praise from Italian V twin owners!
Regards, Malcy

What a coincidence, we were on our way to Inverurie too!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/c_johnston/20090530006.jpg

overdrive
12-01-10, 09:41 PM
Im a 28 year old lad from Glasgow. Still researching on what option to take this year, but i think i may start building up my V8. A bit more research for now but a block up build on a Chevy/Ford may be on the cards until i can get a place to start on my chassis!

john hynd
21-01-10, 09:00 AM
hi all new to the cobra club ;)would like to know more about any scottish members we are in edinburgh .any runs planned when the snow goes.:confused:does any one know if there is a difference in size between the cobra cars length,width,height. pilgrim,dax,Gd.

Clive
21-01-10, 05:18 PM
Hi John,
There aren't many runs planned here. One reason I suppose is the size of the country. If, for example, we planned a drive in the Borders, it would be too far for those in the Highlands and vice versa.
Generally speaking all 427s are the same size as they are replicas of the originals. The 289 slabside is smaller and the 289 FIA is in between the two. Although there are differences in size (mainly width) some components are common to all, such as windscreens and nudge bars.

john hynd
22-01-10, 08:28 AM
Hi have a pilgrim cobra in east lothian would be up for a run

john hynd
22-01-10, 08:38 AM
hi guys had my pilgrim cobra 6 weeks now would like to meet
sometime live in east lothian .

Geoff' Project (Arbroath) - Dax Dion Assembly Manual[/QUOTE]
Pilgrim cobra V6 east lothian

rangerovering
19-01-11, 10:06 PM
Hi Guys,
Newbie enthuiast here in Edinburgh/Kinross area, big big V8 fan (already run a Classic Range Rover) and love the Cobra look. Looking to learn lots before starting a kit, I want something that is sharp to drive and can handle a free revving engine with up to 500hp. Plan is to go 4.6, 5.2 or 7.0 (oh yes!) Rover power, they are light, can rev freely and give more than enough power, torque and economy when done right.
Would love to meet anyone else with a Cobra replica, hints and tips are greatly appreciated!
cheers

Clive
20-01-11, 04:14 PM
Hi Guys,
Newbie enthuiast here in Edinburgh/Kinross area, big big V8 fan (already run a Classic Range Rover) and love the Cobra look. Looking to learn lots before starting a kit, I want something that is sharp to drive and can handle a free revving engine with up to 500hp. Plan is to go 4.6, 5.2 or 7.0 (oh yes!) Rover power, they are light, can rev freely and give more than enough power, torque and economy when done right.
Would love to meet anyone else with a Cobra replica, hints and tips are greatly appreciated!
cheers
Steve,
I've sent you a PM

adw
20-01-11, 04:40 PM
Hi from Tony on the Isle of Skye, is this the remotest Cobra build in the UK?

Crendon rolling chassis on order, need to decide on engine next, Huddart 396W or 428FE (if I can afford it).

Logistical nightmare, nearest IVA centre is Aberdeen, paint - anyones guess!!

Currently trying to find some method of heating the garage, workshop wood burner looks good at 250 but the flue is another wooping 1100.

alex
23-01-11, 08:34 PM
Hi Tony,

My Crendon order is the one in front of yours. I'm in Prestwick which is a trek in itself to Crendon & back!

So when you hoping to take delivery ?

Alex

adw
24-01-11, 11:16 AM
Hi Alex,

Date is I guess about May/June, although John has not fixed in the engine cross member yet, my fault as I have not yet finalised my engine choice. Was going for a 428FE with fuel injection, now looks like a 396W on a carb as costs are spiraling.

I know its not the high on many lists for a Cobra but I need to take into account fuel consumption, for me to do a meet like Stoneleigh its a 1150+ mile round trip, thats not much short of 100 gallons with a carbed FE. We want to use and enjoy the cob not leave it under a dust sheet in the garage with an empty fuel tank, there are some great driving roads up here.

We hit 1.40/litre for diesel two weeks back and when the governments extra hits in April I expect it to be over 1.60. Not sure about petrol as I have not bought any since June but it wont be far behind.

We only used to live about 40 miles from Crendon, should have built the cob before we moved but building a house here by remote control took nearly 3 years. Still at least once the kit arrives we can give it 100% and yes Christine is going to help with the build as well!!

Tony

Highlander
24-01-11, 03:22 PM
A BIG HELLO from Invergordon,

I have been a Cobra fan for.........well, ever. I do not have my own yet but have an AK on my shopping list for the not too distant future. My wife is even coming around to the idea :o

I saw a dark blue/black cob pass me on the A9 going north at Tain last June/July (first and only one I've seen up here).

Hope to meet some of you at a later date,

all the best for now.

Paul.

BLOKE
24-01-11, 05:24 PM
Am I missing the point, The club will have a members list, this site could probably produce a list of everyone who has posted, It may then be illegal to produce it without each person giving there permission, and then when we have a list, what would we do with it ?
Regards Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

dave
24-01-11, 05:41 PM
Am I missing the point, The club will have a members list, this site could probably produce a list of everyone who has posted, It may then be illegal to produce it without each person giving there permission, and then when we have a list, what would we do with it ?
Regards Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

Hi Frank.
Do you realise that this is in the Scotland section?

BLOKE
24-01-11, 07:37 PM
Hi Frank.
Do you realise that this is in the Scotland section?

Hi Dave, That's why I put am I missing something, thanks for pointing it out it makes more sense now.
Frank. BKOKE.

Highlander
25-01-11, 09:33 AM
Hi Malcy,

I'm guessing that it was you that I saw near Tain last year, dark blue, twin single roll hoops?
Do you take the her to the car rally in Tain?

Cheers.

Paul.

Rustik
24-05-11, 09:42 PM
Hi All, just received a Pilgrim Sumo, 3.5l Rover V8, dark blue, white stripes. I stay in Kingswells on the outskirts of Aberfreeze and have seen a couple of cobs knocking about. Would be great to meet up with the Aberdeen(shire) lads at some point to kick tyres and go ooh ahh. Russell

TFatC
25-05-11, 06:21 AM
Sounds like a good plan Russell!

liamm83
02-01-12, 01:56 PM
Hi all, thought I would add my name to this 5+ year old list! I've just got a red AK a month ago and am in city centre Glasgow so you might see me about :/
If only the rain would hold off for a few days so I could go out!

Liam

Clive
02-01-12, 03:09 PM
Hi Liam,
Think yourself lucky, it's snowing here!

TFatC
03-01-12, 10:16 AM
Welcome Liam! I should be fetching my RAM back fron Cheng at Thunder Road Cars in the next couple of weeks.

jamesLS7
03-01-12, 10:04 PM
Hi Liam
Not many of us in the city, most are in ayrshire and east kilbride. Was that your red cobra in the rain on the M77 a few weeks ago ?

cheers james

liamm83
04-01-12, 09:43 AM
Hi Liam
Not many of us in the city, most are in ayrshire and east kilbride. Was that your red cobra in the rain on the M77 a few weeks ago ?

Haha, yup - that would be me. I had to take it out, had only just bought it and couldn't stand leaving her sitting in a garage. Was actually on my way to EK funnily enough - that's where I grew up and my parents live there, but didn't know there were Cobras there! Good to know.

Liam

jamesLS7
05-01-12, 06:42 PM
One of the best cobra's in scotland ( in my opinion ) is roberts beautifully dax hardtop cobra. He lives in east kilbride usually he's at the east kilbride show in april. A great day out but it's usually wet !!

cheers james

dave
05-01-12, 09:02 PM
Hi James.
Rob Kyle has now sold his Hardtop Dax, it lives somehwere in Leeds now.

liamm83
06-01-12, 01:19 PM
That's a shame would have been nice to see, I really like the hardtops.

Forecast for tomorrow is sun/ not a hurricane, so I'm looking forward to going my first proper drive! Think I'll head towards Loch Lomond, take her out for a couple of hours.

Cheers all.

jamesLS7
07-01-12, 01:08 PM
Surprised to hear that. Stunning car. Last i spoke to him, he was looking at 32 Duce coupes at a car show.

cheers james

cobrascim
08-01-12, 12:11 PM
James,
Not about time you took a trip to the Le Mans Classic?
I was just reading about the Goodwood revival and I quite fancy having a good year doing car stuff as 2011 was pretty crap not having the cob on the road.
5 speed box is in - just waiting for my autometer speedo gauge to come back from speedy cables - converted to electric.
How's life anyway?
John.

jamesLS7
10-01-12, 03:58 PM
Hi John
Afraid in florida with the family in july. Could'nt agree more. Only did two shows last year. It seemed every time i went to get the cobra out it rained !! Was thinking of Spa classic i think thats later in the year or even the silverstone classic which is getting great reports about. Need to sit down and plan something before it 2013.

cheers james

kdavies3
10-01-12, 07:51 PM
James it always rains in Spa mate!

cobrascim
10-01-12, 11:02 PM
Yep. My wife is kind of annoyed that I have put my foot down to do the classic again so our florida holiday will be back to around October. July would be too warm for me anyway!
Cant go before that due to son's exams. I quite fancy Goodwood revival for the cobra fifty years celebration.
John.

jamesLS7
11-01-12, 04:43 PM
Bugger rain !! Would love to see the up hill section from the pits must be awesome. Is Goodwood already fully booked ? What date is it ?

cheers james

kdavies3
11-01-12, 09:53 PM
Goodwood Revival tickets are still available.
Booked mine last week.
Acommodation is already tight if you want to be local.
Camping is available on site.
We booked a local B&B but not cheap.
Dates are 14-16 September.

Lloyd Barnes
13-01-12, 12:07 PM
Spa Classic is 25th - 27th May... planning to go to this one this year instead of LeMans as thats a bit too far in the old Citroen Traction Avant (as I deffo wont have the Crendon on the road by then!). Took us two whole days to get to Lemans at 50mph in the old girl!!! Reckon with the right ferry we can do Spa in a good day!

Gotta see some classics screaming through Eau Rouge once in your life! :-D