PDA

View Full Version : Header tank from Shinybitz-who worked on an oil rig?

bitsilly
30-10-06, 06:17 PM
A strange request I know, but Roger at Shinybitz was manufacturing the Ram replacement header tanks to a drawing sent to him by someone who worked for an oil company- don't know who!
He has lost the drawings before he started to make mine. So could that mysterious man please send/scan or post me or Roger another? Or does anyone else have a working drawing still?
If not, I hope to get a photo from Steve, but can anyone tell me the major dimensions or knock up a sketch?
Sorry for being a pain but this is an hour of need!:rolleyes:
Thanks
Ed

lordy
30-10-06, 06:21 PM
Sorry for being a pain but this is an hour of need!

From experience, when Roger is involved, you'll be entering a "6-9 months of need". :mad:

He's not what you call quick, others may use different words. Good gear though IMO.

Oh Lordy.

dingocooke
30-10-06, 07:14 PM
Ed
As per your PM, I have sent you the pics you requested, but I don't have the original sketch of the header tank that I did, as Roger didnt use it because he had a very good CAD drg from a RAM owner who had a lot of time on his hands working on an oil rig.
I'm surprised even Roger can lose a CAD drawing..if he cant find it, I'd ask for your money back because theres no way he can guess it right.
Out of interest when did he tell you hed lost the drg; it seems a long time since you said youd sent a cheque, I assumed you'd got it bolted on the car by now..
Steve

bitsilly
30-10-06, 08:13 PM
Thanks Steve.
He said he remembers how to make most of it but has lost his CAD drawing due to some computer fault. I am trying to see if I can get a copy from the chap from the oil rig or similar.
Yes I have been waiting a long time.
Would you say the dimensions are critical? My only real concern is it hitting the bodywork?
I figured the easiest thing is to find him the dimensions.

dingocooke
31-10-06, 09:03 AM
Hes having a laugh, if he makes it 10mm too long fornt to back it wont sit on top of the rad top right, same if its 10mm too short, if its 15mm too high it will hit the body work.

Get your money back, he cant havestarted it yet with no drawing, this is a screw up waiting to happen. IMHO

He does make nice stuff, but its not going to fit properly without a drawing.

bitsilly
31-10-06, 09:16 AM
Bollox.
I've told him not to start for now to see if anyone comes good with the dimensions but I guess it is tight!

Can anyone help?

bitsilly
06-11-06, 08:43 AM
So no one will measure their tank?
The standard Ram tank eventually cracks etc so you may end up needing one yourselves soon.
Come on gents.

427sc
11-11-06, 07:39 AM
Hi Ed.....if i had sizes i would help.....BUT...Ill second what steve and Lordy have said....get your money back (if you can!!!!) and get it made elsewhere....you will be real glad of the advice in the end!!!!!

Best of luck...Steve

rickluff
11-11-06, 09:39 PM
Cheng Lim supplied my Tank, don't know who made it,my advice is go to Cheng,however the measurements are;
Length of bottom of tank 255mm, the top is radiused both ends this leaves a flat area 200mm long.
Width 130mm
Height 100mm
The mounting brkt is the full length and 30mm wide.
Study hard, you'll understand eventually.

bitsilly
12-11-06, 09:07 AM
Thankyou thankyou thankyou.
I now have photos and measurements so if Roger lets me down I will ask Cheng or adapt a AK one.
:)

dingocooke
12-11-06, 11:17 AM
I think he already has, dont you?

www.thunderroadcars.com (http://www.thunderroadcars.com)

bitsilly
12-11-06, 04:21 PM
In his defence he has rung me a number of times to see if I have the dimensions yet, so he could start.
Watch this space.

ps I'm married to my solicitor so refunds are not usually a problem!

Dutch Paul
12-11-06, 04:31 PM
ps I'm married to my solicitor so refunds are not usually a problem!

TIP OF THE DAY

DON`T EVER ASK FOR A DIVORCE :eek: :eek:

dingocooke
12-11-06, 07:44 PM
...........so funny :rotfl:

427sc
12-11-06, 08:10 PM
SECOND TIP OF THE DAY........Dont expect a refund from 'Roger the Dodger'!!!!

bitsilly
28-11-06, 11:03 AM
Roger came through with the tank and it is a really nice piece of work.

dingocooke
28-11-06, 04:57 PM
Result! Thats another bit of the jigsaw done then Ed

bitsilly
28-11-06, 05:42 PM
Cheers Steve,
truth is, I sold my M3 in the summer and got sensible with a mondeo so as to feel less guilt over the expense of the Ram build.
Driving the mondeo (diesel) has had the strange effect of making me think I am now the most boring person in the world (at least until the Ram is finished). But it saves a load of dosh, so I bought this with a friend.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220045467897&rd=1&rd=1
I lay the blame squarely at the door of Ford, nothing to do with mid-life or the size of my shoes.
The Ram is still my baby but at least I have something fun while I'm waiting!
I can now come to meets without a disguise!

wilf
28-11-06, 09:00 PM
What am I missing here?

A bright orange bike-engined LSIS and you think a disguise might help? :rotfl:

Glad you have something to have fun in - I know what it is like to not have a working cob in the garage. Horrid.

bitsilly
29-11-06, 05:26 PM
No no no, it's not orange, it's crushed sun bleached terracota.
Orange!:eek: honestly.

wilf
29-11-06, 09:23 PM
Orange, then.

dave drewry
12-06-07, 03:25 PM
Dear all, I can shed some light (a little late maybe) on the Header Tank at Shiny Bitz. I sent Roger the CAD drawing, which was a copy of the origanl tank from my RAM. I do not work on an Oil Rig, don't know where that came from. I work for a company in Northampton. !! :)

dingocooke
12-06-07, 03:58 PM
Dear all, I can shed some light (a little late maybe) on the Header Tank at Shiny Bitz. I sent Roger the CAD drawing, which was a copy of the origanl tank from my RAM. I do not work on an Oil Rig, don't know where that came from. I work for a company in Northampton. !! :)

The oil rig worker story is what Roger told me when he made mine; maybe he got mixed up...he couldnt find the drawing anyway and I had to do one for him.