PDA

View Full Version : Jag Suspension Settings - RAM S/C

Grant
18-05-01, 07:09 PM
Hi All,
I must confess to having bought not built - but at least this is my second cobra, the first (Sumo) met a horrible end at the hands of white-van-man!!
So as you will obviously gather I am not mechanical, just love Cobra's and
now need HELP!!!!!
Can anyone give me some idea as to the optimum settings - front and rear
for my Ram? The rear rides like a dream, hard but solid in corners, the front however, is body to rubber under hard braking and tight left handers!
Every garage spoken to so far suggests standard Jag settings - but with
a 5.7ltr Chevy and 400+bhp - I don't want to ride and possibly die in a wallowing armchair just yet.
I assume trial and error is as good as any method, but just thought that
somebody out there in the CRC might have some suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help given,

Grant
P.S. If this is sorted the car is booked on the Portsmouth ferry for Le Mans
so hope to meet at the supermarket.

nbracken
18-05-01, 09:37 PM
Grant, can't help you with specific settings for the Ram, but my car (Python) has Jag suspension also. When I first ran it I too had problems with the front, and I was using springs as advised by Unique Autocraft who made the Python.

So I then had the suspension settings checked and the adjusted as per the Jag and then played around with the Spax adjustable shockers starting at the softest setting and then tightening up one clic at a time with a short drive in between.

The combination of correct settings and the right Spax settings transformed the front and it is now just right.

Good luck,

Nigel B

robert
18-05-01, 10:18 PM
3 clicks back from hardest is a good starting point.

Robert

The Whistler!

ROBD
20-05-01, 08:51 AM
Hi Grant
I am in the middle of a RAM build I will ask Adrian Cocking for you and let you know if I get no joy try Cheng Lim at Thunder Road Cars he'll know, What I am doing is running with 4 shockers not 6 and have got 450lb springs all round yet to set up, have you got an anti roll bar on it as well no expert on this still learning but someone out there will know.

Rob

Grant
20-05-01, 09:34 PM
>Hi Grant
>I am in the middle of a RAM build I will ask Adrian Cocking for you
>and let you know if I get no joy try Cheng Lim at Thunder Road Cars
>he'll know, What I am doing is running with 4 shockers not 6 and have
>got 450lb springs all round yet to set up, have you got an anti roll
>bar on it as well no expert on this still learning but someone out
>there will know.
>
>Rob

Firstly - thanks folks -

Nigel B, as time and weather running short (as I want to make Le Mans) and also want to hold onto whats left of the front offside wheel arch, I shall start stiff and work up.
Robert, I will try three clicks and see how we go!
Rob, many thanks would be interested to know and may try "Thunder", but it is a drive, so local or D.I.Y. would be preferred.
With superlube "race-frame" chassis, doubt that "roll-bar" required - unless in for some serious power or useage - full race only!!
My car has standard 6 shock set-up - suggestions have been to put on Blistein or Leider shocks for best results (at a serious price!).
Let me know if you have any news and tell me more about your Ram build!

Grant.
I have circa 425BHP and 458lb torque and car feels rock solid and believe it or not it actually corners!! O.K. its not an Elise but it does feel "safe".

cobraman
20-05-01, 10:10 PM
Just out of interest...What tyres..pressures do you have on???...DJ

Grant
21-05-01, 05:59 PM
Car is fitted with split-rim revolutions, tyre sizes are
(f) 215 65 15V @ 38lbs
(r) 255 60 15V @ 40lbs
Does this give you any ideas??
Await your comments,
Many thanks,

Grant.

robert
21-05-01, 07:26 PM
>Car is fitted with split-rim revolutions, tyre sizes are
>(f) 215 65 15V @ 38lbs
>(r) 255 60 15V @ 40lbs

That seems very high, I run my GD at around 20 odd. Are you sure of those figures?

>Does this give you any ideas??
>Await your comments,
>Many thanks,
>
>Grant.
>

Robert

The Whistler!

robert
21-05-01, 07:39 PM
Yep, just ran out to the garage and they are mid 20. The pressures you have quoted are quite high.

Robert

The Whistler!

Grant
21-05-01, 10:46 PM
Will check tomorrow - not 100% sure - so will let you know.
If they are high, will take out tomorrow and try at circa
20lbs.
Will let you know - thanks!!

Grant.

imported_admin
22-05-01, 02:40 PM
Hi there,

I have not entered into conversation before, just content to read the comments from the background, but feel that I may be able to help or at least offer some food for thought.

My car, a GE427 of 1990 vintage was built around Jag underpinnings and campaigned for years on the hillclimb and sprint courses so a great deal of time was taken in getting it to go around corners properly.

It is fitted with a 383 chevy with TH350 (manual valve body and ratchet shifter)all of which has been pushed back 7 inches to improve handling. The front is running on Spax coilovers with 750lb springs. Tyres at the front are 235-60-15 Avon CR23 inflated to 20psi. An anti roll bar is fitted and connected as far back on the lower suspension plate as feasable to prevent any binding and lost movement. Rear also has Spax but with 350lb springs and has custom made lower control arms. Rear tyres are 275-60-15 Hoosier Quicktimes (I am drag racing at the moment)inflated to 24psi on the road. The whole setup is adjustable front and rear with rose joints throughout and although the car runs extremely low there is no body roll, no tyre to body contact and it moves through the country lanes very well.

One additional point that may be of interest to other auto box users with high power engines. I have disconected the kick down mechanism to prevent unwanted down shifts as you boot it out of a corner. It is so easy to end up facing the traffic that used to be behind you!!

Regards,
Richard

robert
22-05-01, 06:10 PM
Richard

Good to hear from you on the forum, see you at Santa Pod soon.

Best Regards

Robert

The Whistler!

imported_admin
23-05-01, 10:51 AM
Hey Rob,

I am up right over the upcoming three day weekend, come on down. Maybe it's time for you to strut your stuff at one of the next Run What You Brung meetings, or even the Nostalgia Nationals or Hot Rod Drags later in the year.
It's thr most fun you can have on your own in the car !!

ATB
Richard

khb
06-06-01, 10:17 PM
Grant,

do you want the figures for toe in, camber etc ? Or are you looking for general settings of the suspension ( this would very much depend on spring rate and shocks ).

Karl

PS: I just kicked out the Spax and the second trial AVOs as well. Now I am on GAS shocks -- what a feeling...