PDA

View Full Version : Any Hawk/Kirkhams?

runt
10-12-06, 12:50 PM
Hi all, just sitting here 'stuck in a moment', noticed that this forum is quiet, wondered if any of our members have considered/bought one of those beautiful Kirkham 289 FIA, 427 s/c?

Paul/runt.:)

Clive
10-12-06, 03:11 PM
Hi Paul,
Definately considered the Kirkham 289 when I was "dipping my toe in the water" but after careful consideration of all the facts I did not see the point of forking out over 70k on an aluminium body if it was going to be painted. There are also issues regarding Aluminium when it comes to fatigue, paint etc.
If you were going to build one then I would reckon it would have to be left in the original aluminium finish and this means that you would have to be extremely accurate and careful when working on the body so as not to scratch it or drill holes out of place (Fibreglass filler doesn't look too good on bare aluminium!)
You can almost build three Hawks for the price of one Kirkham!

Dax SC
10-12-06, 03:48 PM
There are ways and means of getting a Kirham;) .

$20k in a brief case and a trip with a trailer to Mielec, Poland will get you a body, chasis, dash and all suspension parts. The rest of the parts are all generic. I think you could build one with a polished finish (Lots of work!) with a 289/302 with IDA stacks for mid to late thirties.

runt
10-12-06, 04:25 PM
Clive, see your point;and when you look at the Hawk 289 FIA, still a very authentic looking piece of kit!:thumb:
Mark, that's surprising:confused: , did you mean pounds, not dollars?

Paul/runt.:thumb:

Dax SC
10-12-06, 04:33 PM
Dollars

Twenty thousands dollars in cash goes a long way in Poland.

dingocooke
10-12-06, 05:45 PM
Hmmm,

Poland+large amount of $ cash; travelling with.

My experience of eastern europe is you probably have a 50-50 chance of being relieved of it on the way; plus you'd be very lucky to escape unscathed if anyone twigged you had it on your person (including border guards/police etc; even if they were legit, they'd think it was drug money and youd have beaucoup explaining to do)

Not great advice IMO

runt
10-12-06, 07:38 PM
Hmmm,

My experience of eastern europe is you probably have a 50-50 chance of being relieved of it on the way; plus you'd be very lucky to escape unscathed if anyone twigged you had it on your person (including border guards/police etc; even if they were legit, they'd think it was drug money and youd have beaucoup explaining to do)

Not great advice IMO
Yeh, and with these eyebrows, I'd probably be charged with impersonating a werewolf, and sent to Transylvania..:rolleyes: :D
I'd make it back to Blighty eventually; join up with a'hand car wash' gang on their way here..

Dax SC
10-12-06, 07:52 PM
Hmmm,

Not great advice IMO

Not advice, I just know someone who has done it and saved a shed load of money-who dares-wins.

runt
10-12-06, 08:16 PM
Well, at these prices,perhaps some others will dare to win, bearing in mind most are agreed it's the absolute cat's whiskers; I assumed they were a lot more costly.

Nigel Foster
12-12-06, 02:15 PM
Yeh, and with these eyebrows, I'd probably be charged with impersonating a werewolf, and sent to Transylvania..
I'd make it back to Blighty eventually; join up with a'hand car wash' gang on their way here..

Paul, They're looking for staff at Gallows Corner !!! :rolleyes: :thumb:

runt
12-12-06, 09:21 PM
Paul, They're looking for staff at Gallows Corner !!! :rolleyes: :thumb:

Yep, but it's getting cold Nigel; those Russian guys only need a t-shirt, give it a month, I'd have frostbite.:eek:

Paul/runt.:D

Nigel Foster
18-12-06, 11:02 AM
Yep, but it's getting cold Nigel; those Russian guys only need a t-shirt, give it a month, I'd have frostbite.:eek:

Paul/runt.:D

Nah , your'e made of sterner stuff than that. Fill yourself up with Vodka and dream of the Beastie that DB is finishing !!:D :D