PDA

View Full Version : Update.

steamyrotter
02-01-07, 10:33 PM
Well Christmas has been and gone and now it's time to get back to it.

Jobs to do..
Engine (Still)
Got full gasket set, crank reground and new bearings / bolts)
Need Cam & associated bits.
Rockers and shafts worn so need new.
Heads done and dusted just need new bolts & fitting.
Oil pump needs skimming and cleaning.

First fix of wiring loom run. Just a few cores i have not fitted due to update of plans.
Not done a thing to the body yet other than cut the tub out.

Just need the inclination to lose a few pounds (Money and weight!) and get on with it.

kevchard
03-01-07, 07:15 AM
Hi Dean
Sounds like you are making progress. Wish that we could say the same.
Happy new year and prosperity to all Viper owners/builders (and other makes aswel i suppose) :).
Cheers
Kevin

steamyrotter
21-01-07, 11:05 PM
Well now started on the engine.

Got most of the bits.
New cam bearings fitted - What a b@gger that was!!
Fitting the 3.9 cam so should get a few more horsies out, although at the mo I am not that worried about max power as I know that will need major pennies going the wrong way. This was a ittle benefit for an extra 5 so financially viable to my (twisted) mind....
Waiting for the duplex timing gear to turn up now.

Fitted the crankshaft with the new bearings and bolts and turns as sweet as a peach. Noticed that mr previous bodger actually fitted the bearing caps in the wrong order. Numbered 23145 from front...... Now all fitted in the correct locations and right way round as well.

Then came a moment when you wonder why anyone let me loose with a spanner!!! Some idiot who will remain named snapped a piston ring...
DOH!:mad: Mr Stupid strikes again..:rolleyes:
New set on order so won't be doing that again......
Rather that happened now than if it was the last piston. That would have really peethed me off..

More to come. Now to spend the week digesting the paynes manual to make sure I get it all right(ish).

:thumb:

viperjim
22-01-07, 12:36 AM
if you could buy motivation i`d subscribe tomorrow . Vipers are the way forward , if all kits we`re this easy life would be a breeze . NOT

steamyrotter
09-02-07, 10:39 PM
Next bit..

All back together bar the plenum chamber and rocker covers. Something special happening there :D

Will be off the stand next week and fitted back where it should be. Cant wait.

Then on with the suspension. Will post on that later once I have measured and re-measured, fitted and taken off!!!!!

kevchard
10-02-07, 09:58 AM
Hi Dean
Don't keep us in suspense, what is with the plenum bit? You supercharging it?
Trying to compete with Ceejay on the BHP front?
You got any build pics to stick in the gallery, don't want to be out done by the masses do we :D
Keep up the progress.
Cheers
Kevin

steamyrotter
10-02-07, 10:30 PM
Nah not an upgrade in power i'm affraid.
Cant afford too many rear axles as yet..........

Not finished so no photos yet, and probably not worth the wait either!!!!!

:shock:

steamyrotter
13-02-07, 10:26 PM
Milestone achieved....

The engine and gear box are back in the hole. :D

Took most of the day sorting the propshaft out as all the bolts I spent ages sourcing had gorn walkies somewhere!!!!

Had the usual "do everything twice" moments when the clutch release arm fell off the release bearing just as I was tightening the last bolt. ARGH

Also put the gearbox mount on in the wrong order.....Bolted it to the chassis then couldn't get the bushes in, so took it off then mounted to the gearbox first then to the chassis.

Time to address the long awaited front suspension. That's the rest of the weeks job me thinks

Photos to follow when I actually take some!!

:P

kevchard
14-02-07, 07:18 AM
Hi Dean
Sounds like progress :)
Have you got this week off work or something?
Are you sticking with Corty front end, or something a bit special?
Best of luck trapping your fingers between spanner and nuts ;).
Cheers
Kevin
PS How is your sons car going?

steamyrotter
14-02-07, 07:52 PM
PS How is your sons car going?

Surprisingly it is still!!!
Amazing what 2 new driveshafts and a lot of verbal abuse will get you!!!!

Yes week off.

Suspension is a Corty adaption.
Should work but requires a little more thought and more than a touch of insanity..

Had a right pain today. Bloody clutch release arm fell off the bearing again :evil:
Had to modify the bottom of the bell housing to avoid taking the bloody thing out again. I was not happy............

That took most of the afternoon so spent the rest doing those little jobs you never get around to. Re route fuel lines, paint the plenum chamber, sit and go brum brum.

Any one got any 19mm internal blue water hose they don't want???????

steamyrotter
02-03-07, 09:16 PM
Here is a little job that got done.

Not bad for a standard set of covers eh????? :D

Still a little work to do to them then they should look sweet???

Miket
02-03-07, 10:40 PM
Here is a little job that got done.

Not bad for a standard set of covers eh????? :D

Still a little work to do to them then they should look sweet???Patience is a virtue, very nice :D :D

steamyrotter
03-03-07, 08:07 PM
Pity the rest of the engine looks a pile of sh1te in comparison.

May need to take some bits back off and tweek them a tad.
:oops:

steamyrotter
06-03-07, 08:06 PM
And theres more.......

My "idea!!" for the front suspension back fired a bit.

Had to take the front subframe back out as I could not get the top wishbone off.

It actually came out rather easily once I remembered to disconnect the front anti roll bar :oops: theres always something.

All modded and I think sorted now.

Only problem is I cant bolt the bleeding subframe back in as I nadged the mounting studs. :cry: Have to wait for the weekend to "attack" that and re-manufacture a pair and obtain some more nylocs.

Next step?
I think i need a boost so next week the engine is going to be fired up. First time since rebuild so should be worrying. :? and i may even fill the brake and clutch circuits and move it........

kevchard
09-03-07, 02:30 PM
Hi Dean
Good luck with the fire up.
Was this the same mounting lug that snapped off when you took it apart last time?
Cheers
Kevin

steamyrotter
09-03-07, 02:34 PM
No but one of the bolts that go through it.....

"Operator error!" :oops:

steamyrotter
11-04-07, 01:11 AM
Well the best laid plans of mice and idiots.................

Finally got the subframe on this weekend. What a barsteward. New studs fitted and then cut off the excess that got nadged. Ordinary nuts fitted at the mo as I ran out of nylocs.

Front suspension all sorted and tested. Works a treat and damped reasonably well. Will not know the true outcome till the body is on.

Fitted a lot of the ancilliaries and the odd little job or 2.
Next step is going to be the injection loom as this will need shortening to fit in with the rest of it. Wont be too much trouble.

Slight problem with the fuel tank. My mate who was making it has had an accident whilst snowboarding and is going to be off work for a while. Not a problem as I can still use my temporary arrangement, and I wish him well.

Determined that the next time it starts will be via the proper method, but may need to put a more simple program into it first.. :shock:

Had a bit of a painting frenzy and am still trying to get all the hammerite off my arms!!!!!!!!!

More to come.

Cheers

kevchard
11-04-07, 04:50 PM
Determined that the next time it starts will be via the proper method, but may need to put a more simple program into it first.. :shock:

Cheers

Hi Dean
Glad to see you are storming on.
Are you running a megasquirt or something (ref the program comment)?
Have you got the bodyshell back on yet?
Cheers
Kevin

steamyrotter
11-04-07, 10:56 PM
Nah body no where near going back on yet...
Got the rear suspension to address before that.

Program is 'the start and run interlocking device' thingy.
or
'why won't this bloody thing start ..... ah would help if I press THAT button' thing

Or just a little PLC to make everything so complex that it will never have a hope in heck of working properly.

Oh for wanting a single button to do the engine Start AND Stop.

Works in simulation but when you get the real life feedback signals (or not!) thats when the most thoroughly tested device will pop up, stick it's tongue out at you and tell you to go whistle.... :shock: :lol:

Still you know me by now. Keep it simple stupid.... NAH too easy :lol:

Miket
11-04-07, 10:59 PM

or
'why won't this bloody thing start ..... ah would help if I press THAT button' thing

Or just a little PLC to make everything so complex that it will never have a hope in heck of working properly.

Works in simulation but when you get the real life feedback signals (or not!) thats when the most thoroughly tested device will pop up, stick it's tongue out at you and tell you to go whistle.... :shock: :lol:

Sounds like your still enjoying the build Dean. :shock: :shock: :D :wink:

slogger
11-04-07, 11:05 PM

or

Go on Dean, fit the PLC. Go for a real ar... of one. Say, a Bradley 555 and use index addressing and function block code. At least if it stopped at the side of the road the AA man wouldn't even try to mess with it!!

Good luck! All sounds interesting.

steamyrotter
11-04-07, 11:11 PM
Thanks Mike.

I am starting to enjoy it again (as far as any Viper can be a joy)
I am determined to get this thing on the road and to a meet within the next few years ( :D )
Getting some time now but still lacking the money. :cry:

Slogger

Thought about either SLC500 - Micrologix etc but nothing available at the time with 12v supply. Didn't fancy converting the car to 24v 8)
Settled for an expanded "Logo" does all i want and a little more.
Must remember to have a pre and post SVA prog. :shock:

Miket
11-04-07, 11:18 PM
Thanks Mike.

I am determined to get this thing on the road and to a meet within the next few years ( :D )

You better get your as5e in gear, at my age I could be pushing up daisies before I see this work of art, same goes for Kev Chard :D :D :D :wink: :wink:

slogger
11-04-07, 11:20 PM
A PLC controlled Viper! You do like to live on the edge. At least the logo is all but bullet proof. We've got hundreds of the things scattered about but never have to touch them....yet! What on earth is this PLC controlling?

Live dangerously......I have a couple of GEM 80 400 hanging around.

steamyrotter
11-04-07, 11:20 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Would have got more done if I hadn't visited your local Zoological gardens on Sunday.

Still was a nice day after the 3/4 hour queue to get in..............

steamyrotter
11-04-07, 11:33 PM
Well

It all started from wanting the one button to start and stop the thing.

Sounds easy but how do you do it hardware wise and ensure the engine doesn't try to restart as soon as you stop it???? Think about it and you'll see my point.

Prototyped it on an SLC500 to see if it could be done purely with relay logic and it could but would need a fair few so dismissed that.

Now the thing is controlling most things..
Engine electrics, starter, lights (main dip spots & fogs for later fitment), indictors and hazards (with a secondary system to take over if the logo is powered down, wipers, and controlling ther radiator fans with temperature mesurement via 4-20mA loop converted (via 500ohm resistor) to 0-10v input. Can then set them to operate at any temperature i wish and display the current temperture is needed.
There is also scope for bulb failure sensing and was thinging of putting in the analogues for a warniing system (fuel level, oil level & pressure, water & oil temps) etc but run out of outputs.
Still have plans for a second unit to be fitted with a little extra functionality which will not be divulged unless I get it working :wink:
(Theory is sound but implementation is still in the "Should I" or more to the point "When will I" stage!!)

All in all you will also notice that there is a slightly less than standard wiring loom going on here.....

So in summary you could say I had too much time on my hands over the winter and a very active imagination and a want to put something a little different in there.............................. :roll:

At the end of the day it could always be ripped out again just a quick since I have designed it from scratch and it hasn't cost an arm and a leg...

Miket
11-04-07, 11:35 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Would have got more done if I hadn't visited your local Zoological gardens on Sunday.

Still was a nice day after the 3/4 hour queue to get in..............

Did you manage to see the new Baby (Zuri) :lol: :lol:

steamyrotter
11-04-07, 11:38 PM
Only on the web cam they had set up as she was against the wall.

Had to be a bit quiet and only small groups were allowed in at a time.

Still had a good day and a couple of ice creams to boot (well lick!!) :roll:

slogger
12-04-07, 06:48 PM
Well

It all started from wanting the one button to start and stop the thing.

Sounds easy but how do you do it hardware wise and ensure the engine doesn't try to restart as soon as you stop it???? Think about it and you'll see my point.

Prototyped it on an SLC500 to see if it could be done purely with relay logic and it could but would need a fair few so dismissed that.

Now the thing is controlling most things..
Engine electrics, starter, lights (main dip spots & fogs for later fitment), indictors and hazards (with a secondary system to take over if the logo is powered down, wipers, and controlling ther radiator fans with temperature mesurement via 4-20mA loop converted (via 500ohm resistor) to 0-10v input. Can then set them to operate at any temperature i wish and display the current temperture is needed.
There is also scope for bulb failure sensing and was thinging of putting in the analogues for a warniing system (fuel level, oil level & pressure, water & oil temps) etc but run out of outputs.
Still have plans for a second unit to be fitted with a little extra functionality which will not be divulged unless I get it working :wink:
(Theory is sound but implementation is still in the "Should I" or more to the point "When will I" stage!!)

All in all you will also notice that there is a slightly less than standard wiring loom going on here.....

So in summary you could say I had too much time on my hands over the winter and a very active imagination and a want to put something a little different in there.............................. :roll:

At the end of the day it could always be ripped out again just a quick since I have designed it from scratch and it hasn't cost an arm and a leg...

Hmmmm. Stopped at the lights with your laptop trying to start the thing. Is that a pose, or an embarrassment? Have you got a pit crew to follow you around just in case! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kevchard
12-04-07, 11:33 PM
You better get your as5e in gear, at my age I could be pushing up daisies before I see this work of art, same goes for Kev Chard :D :D :D :wink: :wink:

Cheeky biffer :P , i am trying the best i can.
Viper is all but a memory (bad or otherwise). I have not seen it for 2 weeks as it is in the paint shop :cry: .
Good luck Dean, whatever happened to'keep it simple'? Don't hope there are any big EMC discharges at your work to wipe the memory off your brain.
Cheers

steamyrotter
13-04-07, 08:45 PM
Don't hope there are any big EMC discharges at your work to wipe the memory off your brain.
Cheers

Cheeky get........
:shock: :D

kevchard
14-04-07, 10:03 AM
Hi Dean
I actually meant your electronic computer brain, not your 'human' brain, but now you mention it :lol:
Cheers
Kevin

steamyrotter
21-04-07, 10:02 PM
Er.......
Well...........
Um................................................

Where shall I start (pun!?)

Sat beside what one day will be my "Pride & Joy"(?????)
Filled up oil. Primed with drill and saw traces from rhs rockers - So far so good

Laptop in place a'la F1 pit crew.
Wiring diagram up in one window
Monitoring the plc on the other..

Dummy program uploaded to check all inputs. (after I remembered the password :oops: )
Nothing..........which was good as the immobiliser now works :lol:

Reset immobiliser and hey presto all the inputs worked as designed (got something right then.)
Uploaded simple start program to allow checking of the ignition, injection and starter solenoid and removed starter supply.
Click key to engine electrics and all powers up :D

Second click to crank and sound of other relays dropping out and PLC fails :x (Now before all you KISS lot jump in...................)
Bit of tinkering later, removed solenoid leads and all OK, put back on and fails again....

Checked supplies and revealed a rather fundamental flaw in the design.

The battery was flat! :oops: :oops: :roll:

Jumped it off of the tin top and everything worked to plan.

Ran through the EFI checks (from other posts) found another dodgy relay in the injection loom. Gave this a clean up and the injection system looks OK.

SO
Hopefully tomorrow fill up the coolant, get some petrol in a can, and it should all burst into life (And hopefully not into flames)

This may turn out to be an article for the mag at this rate.
I must be the only mad one on here to try this sort of malarkey???
Just you wait till I tell you about the other "Project". You will be of no doubt reference my mental state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

steamyrotter
29-04-07, 11:16 AM
Well the saga continues.

Checked the oil level after a week and all OK.
Topped up the coolant, One leak on the bottom of the radiator where it has been sat for a while. Will look at that when i take it off again.

Put temporary dash in with all the buttons.
Wired everything up (temp just in case) and realised I had one input wired wrongly so had to do a quick bit of reprogramming.

2 batteries (one for relay, one for starter etc) and jumped off the tin top (flat battery syndrome. Must buy a new one someday but not worth it till it is ready to stay in.)

Checked all electrics out and everything worked as expected (spooky)
Put pipes into spare can of fuel and primed fuel system. No go!! realised I had wired the pump up backwards!! 2 mins and that was fixed.

Set Dizzy to roughly where it should be.
Get hose pipe ready (er!!!)

Satisfy start conditions and press the button........Nothing!! Blast..........

Then realising The imobiliser had armed itself again ( :oops: ) reset it and tried again.

Almost scared the Poo out of me. The thing fired up first time. What a lovely sound yum yum..
Then it stopped! this is one of those stories where you should check everything twice. or once bear minimum :oops: left the MAF unplugged! :roll:

Plugged it back in and it started and ran nicely. Only needed to retard the ignition a bit to get it smooth.

Pressed the start button again and it stopped. Success. Well chuffed.

Left it running for half hour to check all is ok.
Burnoff lots of rubbish from the exhaust and oil/clearer from the engine but all ok. No leaks which surprised me. even the radiator leak sealed itself.

What a boost.

Back down today to run some more pipes and then start on the rear.

(Piccy of the engine bay in my gallery.)

kevchard
29-04-07, 12:13 PM
Congrat Dean :)
You can now a a middle digit to the KISS brigade!!!!!!!!
What is your next plan?
I will put an update on my post at some stage, byt still a bit busy back paddling for a minute.
Keep up the tenacity.
Cheers
Kevin

steamyrotter
13-05-07, 10:36 PM
And another installment.........

Rear axle removed, Hidden from Kev, modified and refitted.
All suspension fitted and tested.
Seems to work OK under test scenario (Big fat sod jumping on front and rear of chassis). Just a few odds n sods to fit and that will be sorted. just awaiting a few more components.

Continued with the miriad of wiring. Removed all the temporary feeds used to start it and now use the perm installed cores. Checked all switching and lighting systems (again once i remembered to disable the immobilser (bloody thing.. Needs a big warning light on it to remind me.....Poss 2kw halogen should just be enough!!!)).and only 1 modification needed
Split park lights went out when ignition turned off! Used wrong feed for the switches!! but could pick one up easily.
Had a bit of a suprise when the fans ran up. then noticed I left the switch on!

Even plugged in a set of the lucas indicaors and rear lights to ensure it worked. Sweet.

Need to tidy up the cabling on the control panel and then that will be all I can do to the electrics for a while.

Just need to fill the brakes and clutch circuits, bleed and test. run a few sensor cables and then should be time to .........

fit the body. :shock:

Just need to get a shed load of fibreglass now :lol: