PDA

View Full Version : M5 - you have been warned !!

westborne
03-01-07, 09:36 AM
Forewarned..... in case anyone heads that way.....

You may be interested in this email that I was sent by our local Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator:

Subject: More speed cameras

"I have been advised that with true Christmas spirit, average speed cameras were installed last week, and are now operational on the M5 between J29 and J30 - that is across the high level bridge over the River Exe. These are not traffic cameras but are SPEC average speed cameras.
The first (and subsequent) cameras read your number plate and if you arrive at the last camera too quickly it is 60 and 3 points. They do not use film, and you will not see a flash. Prosecutions are electronically produced. There are 4 sets of cameras currently installed in each direction."

This was sent to me by one of my Motorway staff so be aware !!

robert
03-01-07, 09:39 AM
Oh dear, looks like my front numberplate just fell off, these plastic clips are crap really. :rotfl:

tonym
03-01-07, 09:44 AM
Front numberplate, er....what's that for then :D

robert
03-01-07, 09:47 AM
Front numberplate, er....what's that for then :D

Something I never had on the GD, have one on the M5 though. :thumb:

Steve
03-01-07, 09:49 AM
was told that the spec cameras cannot handle cars which change lanes....could be nonsense?

tonym
03-01-07, 09:50 AM
I have one on the taxi but it struggles to get past the legal speed limit anyway :D:D

westborne
03-01-07, 10:08 AM
I will check on the changing lanes tack and repost - my guys will know which cameras have been installed.

Its important for NeilO as he blasts through there on his way back from monthly meet !!

Not so important for Snakebite as he blasts through and then blows his engine up!

(Must stop using that joke as he has an LS1 now !)

kayjayd
03-01-07, 10:24 AM
Specs info

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=16982
http://www.abd.org.uk/specs.htm

Neil O
03-01-07, 04:04 PM
I give them 2 months before they're wrecked.
Anyone remember the camera near the Okehampton turning that was chomped off by a digger and dropped over the bridge?
The guy who did it was never caught and is more than likely local. Maybe he'll have a go at these too. ;) :o

andy l
03-01-07, 04:17 PM
He will need a ladder to get to these cameras, thought they were for new road works ? but seems they are here for good, I think this type of cameras are the things to come, with that in mind, Happy new year all, Andy:thumb:

kobra
03-01-07, 07:53 PM
Hi Guys, Seems like our masters want to put speeding back on to secondary roads. Most of us cobra owners are pretty safe. Its the rest of them thats the problem. My stepson thinks i should drive like a batout of hell. I told him cobra speed is 55mph, unless you really need to hit it. But i think the look says it all. Kobra

Miket
03-01-07, 08:16 PM
Forewarned..... in case anyone heads that way.....

You may be interested in this email that I was sent by our local Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator:

Subject: More speed cameras

"I have been advised that with true Christmas spirit, average speed cameras were installed last week, and are now operational on the M5 between J29 and J30 - that is across the high level bridge over the River Exe. These are not traffic cameras but are SPEC average speed cameras.
The first (and subsequent) cameras read your number plate and if you arrive at the last camera too quickly it is 60 and 3 points. They do not use film, and you will not see a flash. Prosecutions are electronically produced. There are 4 sets of cameras currently installed in each direction."

This was sent to me by one of my Motorway staff so be aware !!

Chris

From what I heard on the local news tonight, they are only temporary while the road works are in progress, I could be wrong as usual. :( :thumb:

westborne
04-01-07, 08:13 AM
You are correct Mike

They go Live in Jan and (theoretically) last until works are complete

Lane changing wont help by the way.

snakebite
04-01-07, 01:12 PM
Not so important for Snakebite as he blasts through and then blows his engine up!

Bitch! :mad:

Clive
04-01-07, 01:47 PM
Chris

From what I heard on the local news tonight, they are only temporary while the road works are in progress, I could be wrong as usual. :( :thumb:

We've had two sets of specs on the A90 between Perth and Dundee for over 6 months now. They are sited where new interchanges are being installed, however the roadworks are about 600 yards long but the specs are 1 1/4 miles apart!
It is very frustrating driving through these at 40 mph at the best of times but especially at night or weekends when there is no work being carried out, and no other traffic on the roads.
Incidentally we had the same debate about changing lanes and apparently it isn't true.
One thing I read however, and I don't know if it is true or not, is any speed restriction sign at the beginning of the zone must be illuminated at night and not just rely on the reflection of headlamps. I do not know if this applies to temporary speed limits or not.
Also regarding the use of average speed cameras, warning signs should be displayed warning that they are in use.

westborne
04-01-07, 03:07 PM
You are correct warning signs must be displayed and speed limit signs must be illuminated at night.

I will double check

All accordance with Chapter 8 of the Roadworks manual

dingocooke
04-01-07, 04:47 PM
Changing lanes between cameras does make them inop; of course i would never encourage that, but hey if you have to over take...

Dutch Paul
04-01-07, 05:18 PM
It`s a pity I never have reason to drive on the M5 - at least it should be plod free now - then again, that might be reason enough to drive there :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Clive
04-01-07, 09:45 PM
Changing lanes between cameras does make them inop; of course i would never encourage that, but hey if you have to over take...

There are no restrictions on changing lanes on the A90 and you see plenty of folk swapping lanes just before the exit specs. One person I know always did this and he ended up with a speeding ticket! Whether or not he forgot which lane he started in or changed lanes once too often I don't know but I wouldn't risk 3 points on my licence just to find out and save a few seconds on my journey time!:drive:

gareth08
05-01-07, 08:13 PM
Intresting thread,
We have SPECS cameras here on the A249 going out towards the Isle of Sheppy and I don't know how they could tell one car from another when everyone is on the tailgate of the car in front , changing lanes and there is a constant line of traffic during busy periods.

Personally I just go a different way where there arn't any cameras:D

would be intresting to know for sure if they can or can't read what lane each and every car was in etc:mad:

Dutch Paul
05-01-07, 08:28 PM
would be intresting to know for sure if they can or can't read what lane each and every car was in etc:mad:
If it was true in the first place, it is such a simple loophole for the b@5tards to close - it would be definitely fixed now. :(