PDA

View Full Version : Boot hinge fitting

hfbradley01
22-01-07, 08:58 PM
Hi all

Hope all your builds are going as planned, unlikely I know but we can only hope.

I've tried fitting the boot lid i.e. fitting the hinges and i've managed to f**k up the paintwork on the boot lid and the car were the hinges fit.

The problem is getting the correct alignment of the hinges together with the camber on the hinges themselves. Knowing the Viper as I do, I'm sure most cars have a different curve at the back were the hinges fit and I don't see how standard hinges could possibly fit all cars.

I have a few ideas about how to sort it out but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Miket
22-01-07, 11:24 PM
Howard

The standard hinges from S&J are handed, which allow them to open on most curves of any boot surfaces, they should be fitted with them angled out towards the wings. :thumb: :thumb:

hfbradley01
25-01-07, 08:42 PM
Howard

The standard hinges from S&J are handed, which allow them to open on most curves of any boot surfaces, they should be fitted with them angled out towards the wings. :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Mike

Thanks for replying, do you know how to guage the angle of the hinges ?

Cheers

Miket
25-01-07, 08:59 PM
Howard

The small part of the hinge is fitted parallel to the scuttle and it's the large part of the hinge fastened in the boot lid that opens at an angle when lifting the boot. :thumb:

Hope the explanation makes sense.

hfbradley01
26-01-07, 03:31 PM
Howard

The small part of the hinge is fitted parallel to the scuttle and it's the large part of the hinge fastened in the boot lid that opens at an angle when lifting the boot. :thumb:

Hope the explanation makes sense.

Mike

That's the exact opposite of what I've done, which might explain the problems I'm having. I'm having another go at the weekend so i'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Mr Bling
26-01-07, 08:40 PM
It might help if you make some card board templates first, then use masking tape to hold them in place while you drill the hole positions. It is a fiddly job but worth taking your time over:thumb:

hfbradley01
02-02-07, 07:33 PM
It might help if you make some card board templates first, then use masking tape to hold them in place while you drill the hole positions. It is a fiddly job but worth taking your time over:thumb:

Unfortunately your advice came too late but I'll certainly be more careful in future.

The boot lid is on now but it isn't a very good fit, i'm afraid the guy who finished off the body and painted it hasn't done any of the work I asked him to do.

Oh well, I'm going to go flat out now and get it on the road, then in a couple of years get all the bad bits sorted out.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

chesterak
02-02-07, 10:41 PM
Hi Howard,
Sorry to hear your problems with the bodywork. I've just installed a 4 post ramp so if you need to do any work from underneath that you can't manage at home, you're more than welcome......:thumb:

hfbradley01
03-02-07, 02:22 PM
Hi Howard,
Sorry to hear your problems with the bodywork. I've just installed a 4 post ramp so if you need to do any work from underneath that you can't manage at home, you're more than welcome......:thumb:

Hi Stan

Thanks very much for the offer, might particularly be useful just before the SVA to check everything out underneath.

Have you decided what to build next yet ?

Cheers