PDA

View Full Version : Hawk vented disc identity

dingocooke
27-01-07, 01:50 PM
Anyone know what the Hawk vented front disc is off?
The ones that came with the car are warped badly (not good for 4500 miles, probably poor qulity discs?)
Ive stripped mine out, and looked and my guess is a Peugeot 505 turbo vented disc, as the following measurement are the same:
OD 273mm
Disc thickness 21mm
Hub bore 76mm
Overall disc height 43mm
Offset 23mm
There is an adapter disc to reduce the hub bore to suit the MGB hub, and the only dimension I need to confirm is the 4 bolt disc mounting holes pcd, which I make out at just a shade over 3.850" maybe 100mm?
The 4 pot calipers take Austin Princess pads, so thats that bit sorted, the green EBC have been lobbed.
I did ring Hawk but Gerry is away and nobdoy else knew (or wanted to tell me)

Clive
27-01-07, 02:30 PM
Hi Steve, try posting on the 289 Register, I'm sure someone there will know.

Purple AK
27-01-07, 04:18 PM
Steve. If it is 4 on 100mm pcd it won't be Peugeot as they are 108mm. 4 on 100 is normally German, Rover 2/400 or small Far Eastern stuff. The following might help to narrow it down :thumb: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/a1autos/technical.htm

wilf
27-01-07, 04:36 PM
Could well be worth a call to EBC (or EBC Direct who are a distributor). Their discs are good quality, www.ebcbrakes.com

dingocooke
27-01-07, 09:35 PM
Cheers chaps appreciate it have posted on 289 register (cheers Clive) will take a look at th elink (cheers Chris, and call EBC (cheers Wilf)

What helpful chaps you are all!!

Itd be nice to have judder free brakes that work well for spring!!!

Clive
27-01-07, 10:12 PM
Hi Steve, try posting on the 289 Register, I'm sure someone there will know.

Steve, if you go to "A guide to buying a Cobra 289 replica" on the 289 register and look at section 5 regarding front suspension and brake upgrades, it give a fair bit about the set-up and mods. :thumb:

hawk289
27-01-07, 10:28 PM
Steve,

I hope the old girl is OK, have a look at http://www.v8register.net/subpages/V8NOTE355.htm. I think you are correct 505 disc's

John.

dingocooke
28-01-07, 11:19 AM
Hi John,

Yep car's doing fine; got it up in the air on axle stands cleaning up the underneath, touching up the suspension where its got chipped etc got new std pads for all round, cleaning up the calipers, and just sorting some new discs; thanks for the link, Pug 505turbo discs will fit according to the link although need redrilling, so my measurements were OK!
The discs that are on the car have not been redrilled, I'm intrigued as what they came off; will ring Hawk this week and try and find out (or buy from them if they have better quality ones).

Bloody cold in th garage today, Ive now given up and come in to get warm!!

dingocooke
28-01-07, 11:42 AM
Hi Clive
Yes been on that part of the 289 site, to be fair I'm quite a way ahead of that article in terms of actual information, what fits from what donor etc. Good site though.
I also have some very good info from Dave Pilbeam-my car has an axle which he built with kevlar 'leafs' and coil overs with a panhard rod, and his rear disc kit on it which uses granada discs (redrilled pcd) and granada calipers with integral handbrake using the screw out piston system and gives a lot better handbrake than the Jag IRS one.
My car has the Hawk front tubular suspension, and I think the Hawk vented disc conversion,which has Austin Princess (yuk what a horrible car that was!!) derived AP Lockheed 4 pot calipers, with discs that look to be an aftermarket interpretation of a Pug 505Turbo pattern but with MGB pcd, and a reducing ring to keep the slightly larger bore Peugeot discs concentric to the MGB wire wheel hub.
Interestingly, when you compare the std material Princess pads to the EBC greens I took off, the EBCs are very heavily chamfered on the leading and trailing faces as std whereas the std pads are not, Ive just done a rough calculation, and the EBC's have just over 30% less pad area in contact than std pads due to the chamfering.
The EBC green pads are very, very, very hard, and I think EBC have reduced the pad area to try to keep pedal feel similar to std pads, and to speed up pad warm up; Im hoping the std pads will be more usable and less wooden for a street car (time will tell!!).

Clive
29-01-07, 11:50 PM
Hi Steve
I see you contacted GH and that you are swithering about what route to take. I would be interested to hear which option you choose. I remember having to drill the bolt holes in my discs to make them fit. Not a major problem.:thumb:

dingocooke
30-01-07, 08:30 AM
Will keep you posted, GH's statement that they modify a current peugeot disc appears to be BS to put me off the scent!! I had every modern pug disc on the counter yesterday at my local pug dealers, none anything close!!
Will do the motor factors thing and ring EBC next.
I can have th ewarped ones skimmed as theyre only 4500miles up, but I fear they warped due to them being a poor quality casting, which is why Im a bit wary of buying more from Hawk.
Yes drilling a new set of pcds is no big deal as you say, so hopefully find out more this week.

dingocooke
30-01-07, 03:05 PM
Identified the parts, bog std AP Lockheed/Delphi pt number BG2227 or national brake discs number NBD242 its a model specific Peugeot 604/504/505 disc, no drilling required at all, fit straight on the MGB hub with pcd 98mm and the reducing collar that Hawk make (a very simple stepped washer to ensure the disc centres on the hub correctly as the Pug disc is 76mm bore).

Now the good news, 58 inc Vat for an AP lockheed pair (45 plus vat each from Hawk!!), and my local motor factors had 8 pairs in stock.

(I mailed EBC earlier and they mailed back that it was not a disc they recognised..)

So Lockheed discs now bought, and what I saved has more than paid for my Trevor Legate Cobra the first 40 years book (List 60, a little more realistic at 38 new from Amazon).

wilf
30-01-07, 03:29 PM
Amazing how persistence pays off.

When are we going to see this car Steve? In the flesh that is.

dingocooke
30-01-07, 03:37 PM
Hi Wilf,

Yes I am a persistant sod (I think thats what my wife said..)

The Hawk is insured all year round, and has fresh MOT, so I'll probably tax it in march; it's currently sorned while I fiddle, tw4t about generally and avoid the salt, hopefull Ill have done the main jobs by then, and will get out and about in it again.

BTW Wilf is that your crendon pictured in the Legate book??

Clive
30-01-07, 03:42 PM
Well done Steve. I will file that information somewhere safe for future reference. (and then try to remember where I put it when I need it!)

wilf
30-01-07, 03:54 PM
Steve that there Crendon in that book there is Crendonmans'. Looks pretty neat eh?

Before you congratulate him, the sod is now working in Dubai, (or was it UAE?) lapping up the sunshine. That's why the car is for sale.

dingocooke
30-01-07, 04:14 PM
It looks very tasty Wilf; I'd seen the Pistonheads Crendon advert, which, to be frank for a 34k asking price is a sh1t advert, no pics and needs some detail, I even wondered if it was scam advert it was that poor!!

(No Im not joking)

If it's anything like as good as yours it'll be nice indeed; I wonder if you got the saliva stains off your car after me drooling over it at Ashby Folville this summer....may have to flog the Hawk and a kidney..Dubai eh..its a nice thought on a sh1t january day in Notts.

dingocooke
30-01-07, 04:49 PM
Clive I can email you my word doc Hawk spec sheet and you can edit it and save it that way if you like, let me know if you need it.

hawk289
30-01-07, 08:09 PM
Steve,

I'm glad you got the discs', how did the Hawk do in its MOT?

Thanks

John.

Clive
30-01-07, 08:26 PM
Clive I can email you my word doc Hawk spec sheet and you can edit it and save it that way if you like, let me know if you need it.

Thanks Steve, that would be most helpful. My e-mail address is cwj@fsmail.net

dingocooke
31-01-07, 08:48 AM
Hi Clive

Have mailed it you.

Hi John ,
Yes passed in late november; brakes were very, very marginal hence the big investigation; so that will be cured.Only needed a few little bits like exhaust mounts (those metro peardrops) etc to pass.