PDA

View Full Version : Forum Moderation/Slagging match

robert
09-07-01, 06:49 PM
Hi

We have recently been subjected to a whole host of crap by one user and his friends, which is not really what we want on the UK CRC forum, especially not by someone who does not own a Cobra, and has never built one.

To stop this happening in the future, we can do something about it.

If we get anything like this again, I can convert the forums into moderated forums, which means that if you post a message to a forum, me or someone else (the moderator) would read the message before it goes to the board.

I could obviously just delete the posts and the user account which would be easier although there might be a delay in reading the post and deleting it etc.

I know this smacks of big brother type approach, but the forum up until now has been a really good resource for everyone to get views, comments and technical info. If we let the forum get like some of the US boards with users just arguing and trading personal insults, its not much fun for anyone.

The question is moderate or delete. Let me know.

If you feel that something is too strong, at the bottom of each specific post, there is a link which says ALERT. If you click alert, the forum software sends me a message. It asks you for a reason which would help me understand your issue. I can then delete the post and/or warn the user.

I don't really want to play this sort of game, but to keep the forum in the way we want it, it might have to be done occasionally.

I do look at the forum reasonably regularly, but am quite thick skinned, so you lot will have to let me know when things are getting bitchy.

Best Regards

Robert

The Whistler!

Mike
09-07-01, 07:06 PM
I don't have anything against lively debate, but when it's just insults then whilst amusing it makes the forum unprofessional. I am in favour of simply deleting as soon as it gets to the personal insult stage. That or sending Rigman and a few alpha males to sort it out.

wilf
09-07-01, 07:06 PM
Rob - as you ( and I guess most everyone else too) know, I rose to the bait of a certain poster. I publicly now admit that I've learnt my lesson. If this forum descends to the level of personal insult, it can only degrade the whole thing, and that's not good.
In future, I will use the "alert" button, and restrain myself to both asking and replying to questions on this board in a spirit of helpfulness, which after all is what it's all about. I have learnt a lot here, and I'm sure others will too in the future.
I don't see why you should have to spend even more time moderating each and every post - surely you have put enough time into it already. I have recently watched the moderator of a large US forum get exasperated to the point of (almost) giving up. Don't want you going the same way. Thanks for all your work so far.

my (very humble) 2c's

Wilf

paul
09-07-01, 07:40 PM
Totally agree with the alert button as it was getting a bit much.
keep up the good work
cheers
Paul

David
09-07-01, 07:43 PM
I totally agree with all that has been said within this post. All it takes is some a$&-h@*&% whose mother is a $&*!>@# saying things like /?@#&%83"$ for someone to take offense.
I enjoy the lighter side of life, one of the reasons for my interest in the marque and this website. None of us need Mr $%&^@.?/# with his '@&^%$*&^_-(*&%$ to try and spoil it for everyone else.

Yours humourously

David

robert
09-07-01, 08:23 PM
David

How do you pronounce that last word????

Robert

The Whistler!

imported_admin
10-07-01, 10:19 AM
Is that pronounced "David" :-)

RigMan
10-07-01, 11:27 AM
..........nothing wrong with a bit of 'lively debate' but insults are just too childish! Alert& Delete, that's my motto!

WigWam:P

Martin427
10-07-01, 11:33 AM
Hi Robert,
I'm 100% behind you.
What we need is balance here and we must not forget that 99.9% of visitors have not abused the forum.
I feel we do need a safety valve to prevent this sort of junk without you [or anyone else] taking on a significant Admin burden.
So a little big brother to sort out a bush fire is OK as long as we then revert to normal service until the next 'Hot Season'

Cheers & keep up the great work.

Martin

imported_admin
10-07-01, 12:16 PM
Rob, I totally agree - although I have to admit that I did get a little bit involved as I saw red when the GD slagging started.

I think the forum must be kept as the device for exchanging solutions and ideas and not for people to vent their anger at being bullied at school as a child. I personally think this whole saga was a set up for some sort of business gain - although I could not prove it - it just seemed too confrontational to be normal banter.

The part I have most issue with is the impact such crap can have on small businesses like GD, who genuinely have worked hard to make and sell an excellent product. The unfounded comments like we've seen can affect potential buyers - that affects peoples livelyhoods and so on. If there is a genuine issue with a product or service then fine - but it should be based on fact and evidence and not cooments made by someone who does not even own a cobra. Hopefully, if the potential buyer is switched on, has completed the research we've all done they will arrive at the good companies on their own.

I did that with my GD and I have been overwhelmed by the support I have got from fellow GD owners and Andy, Meena and the team.

Keep whistling

Gary W

agwebsites
10-07-01, 02:18 PM
I’ll second the comment about making unsupportable claims about the quality of any one kit. Prove it or remove it!

The kit car companies, I know from my own experiences, can be a little ambitious with their claims for the cars though, which is to be expected. Issues raised by members with first hand experience of the cars are extremely useful at watering the hype down a bit and should be encouraged.

I also think we should encourage the kit companies to come into the forum under their true identity to defend their cars should anyone choose to make damming claims about their designs and quality. It would also present the perfect platform for them to mention new developments they may have made to their cars that a lot of us may find interesting even if we don’t own that particular model.
Another advantage of welcoming in the manufactures would be that their customers could ask them questions in the forum under each of the ‘The Owners Conferences’ sections directly. I am sure they must be asked the same questions a lot and over time a list of FAQs would build up to serve future builders and encouraging new builders to become involved in the forum from using it as a source of information. I’ll stop boring everyone now, but I do think it would be advantages to encourage the manufactures to come in.

I think an alert button is the better of the two options as moderation may urge people to refrain more than necessary. An alert button is public censorship, moderation makes it all a bit personal.

Andy

robert
10-07-01, 02:57 PM
I completely agree regarding the manufacturers getting involved, and have the company press release section, but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Now if each owner would mention to their respective manufacturer what is happening on the forum and how it can benefit them, then they might take a bit of notice.

Best Regards

Robert

The Whistler!

agwebsites
10-07-01, 03:46 PM
I’m quite sure some of them are here already or check up on what is happening every now and again. I guess it’s going to take one to be the first and start the ball rolling.
A world wide information system viewed by a focused target audience with which to talk about their product and it doesn’t cost anything. There are MDs the world over dreaming of such an opportunity.

Andy

agwebsites
10-07-01, 04:11 PM
I was sent this and thought it a good example of what happens when there is a difference of opinion. I have tried to cut all the swearing out but might have missed a couple.

---------------------------------------------------------------
In-class Assignment for Wednesday: "Today we will experiment with a new form
called the tandem story. The process is simple. Each person will pair off with the person sitting to his or her immediate right. One of you will then write the first paragraph of a short story. The partner will read the first paragraph and then add another paragraph to the story. The first person will then add a third paragraph, and so on back and forth. Remember to re-read what has been written each time in order to keep the story coherent.

There is to be absolutely NO talking and anything you wish to say must be written on the paper. The story is over when both agree a conclusion has been reached."

The following was actually turned in by two of my English students: Rebecca and Gary - last names deleted.

STORY: (first paragraph by Rebecca)

At first, Laurie couldn't decide which kind of tea she wanted. The camomile, which used to be her favourite for lazy evenings at home, now reminded her too much of Carl, who once said, in happier times, that he liked camomile. But she felt she must now, at all costs, keep her mind off Carl. His possessiveness was suffocating, and if she thought about him too much her asthma started acting up again. So camomile was out of the question.

Meanwhile, Advance Sergeant Carl Harris, leader of the attack squadron now in orbit over Skylon 4, had more important things to think about than the neuroses of an air-headed, asthmatic bimbo named Laurie with whom he had spent one sweaty night over a year ago. "A.S. Harris to Geostation 17," he said into his transgalactic communicator. "Polar orbit established. No sign of resistance so far..." But before he could sign off a bluish particle beam flashed out of nowhere and blasted a hole through his ship's cargo bay. The jolt from the direct hit sent him flying out of his seat and across the cockpit.

He bumped his head and died almost immediately, but not before he felt one last pang of regret for psychologically brutalising the one woman who had ever had feelings for him. Soon afterwards, Earth stopped its pointless hostilities towards the peaceful farmers of Skylon 4. "Congress Passes Law Permanently Abolishing War and Space Travel," Laurie read in her newspaper one morning. The news simultaneously excited her and bored her. She stared out the window, dreaming of her youth - when the days had passed unhurriedly and carefree, with no newspapers to read, no television to distract her from her sense of innocent wonder at all the beautiful things around her. "Why must one lose one's iinnocence to become a woman?" she pondered wistfully.

Little did she know, but she had less than 10 seconds to live. Thousands of miles above the city, the Anu'udrian mothership launched the first of its lithium fusion missiles. The dim-witted wimpy peaceniks who pushed the Unilateral Aerospace Disarmament Treaty through congress had left Earth a defenceless target for the hostile alien empires who were determined to destroy the human race. Within two hours after the passage of the treaty the Anu'udrian ships were on course for Earth, carrying enough firepower to pulverise the entire planet. With no one to stop them, they swiftly initiated their diabolical plan and the lithium fusion missile entered the atmosphere nimpeded. The President, in his top-secret mobile submarine headquarters on the ocean floor off the coast of Guam, felt the inconceivably massive explosion, which vaporised poor, stupid, Laurie and 85 million other Americans. The President slammed his fist on the conference table. "We can't allow this! I'm going to veto that treaty! Let's blow 'em out of the sky!"

This is absurd. I refuse to continue this mockery of literature. My writing partner is a violent, chauvinistic, semi-literate adolescent.

Yeah? Well, you're a self-centred tedious neurotic whose attempts at writing are the literary equivalent of Valium. "Oh shall I have camomile tea? Or shall I have some other sort of F**K**G TEA??? Oh no I'm such a air headed bimbo who reads too many Mills & Boon novels."

As*hole.

B*tch.

W**ker.

Sl*t.

Get f**k*d.

Eat sh*t.

F**K YOU - YOU NEANDERTHAL!!!

Go drink some tea - whore

John Tisbury
10-07-01, 05:30 PM
Hi Rob

I believe this is a good move and based on the previous thread that provoked this a necessary event. A question. Can there be more than one Moderator? If so a few sensible (if there are any?) active posters could act as moderators. I'm happy to volunteer.

The other option for the 'alert' button would be a god idea. After all Britian needs more lerts.

John

robert
10-07-01, 05:42 PM
There can only be one moderator per board, the lerting thing is currently favourite.

Regards

Robert

The Whistler!

kev
10-07-01, 05:57 PM
I agree the alert would be the best way to go , that way the group users act as a type of censor. I don't like the personal slagging,there is absolutely no need for it and it serves no constructive purpose, but I don't mind some spirited comments on various engine / kit combinations, I think it adds a bit of spice

Like Wilf, just my 2c

Kev

imported_admin
10-07-01, 07:59 PM
Agree alerts, can you imagine the work otherwise. Most people know the difference between keen banter and the possibly intentional provocative nonsense that's been put up (can't believe they were serious - or were they just from another planet?).

mal
11-07-01, 12:07 AM
LERRT`S IS BEST !

mal
11-07-01, 12:08 AM
WOT A LUV`LY STORY

David Large
11-07-01, 07:01 AM
If this forum is for the group, then the alert button is the only solution.
My 2p
David large

Mole
11-07-01, 09:17 AM
Just thought I'd add my two penne'th.

The thread to which you refer taught us all a lot about two cars in particular. As it unfolded, it became apparent that one was rather better than the other. As the insane rantings of one particular individual did not stand up to the scrutiny of a number of other technically informed people, I learned a fair bit to enable me to make a more informed choice about a kit. This is, perhaps, customer power at its best. Unfortunately it got personal - these things always do when the techinical arguments run out on one or both sides, but I'd be reluctant to use a moderator to remove any but the very worst profane or inflamatory postings. I felt that the rest of the group dealt with the intruder rather well really. We are, after all "grown-ups" here are we not?

It's only going to be a problem if someone rather brighter than the person concerned starts posting miss-information. Is there some sort of technical arbiter who could be called in for this type of thing? Someone from a respected magazine, the sports or racing car industry, or an industry body perhaps?

Just some thoughts...

robert
11-07-01, 09:56 AM
Now thats a great idea, but it would have to be someone completely disconnected from the Kit Car manufacturers and the magazines, as they also sometimes have their own agenda.

Maybe someone like the ASCM, or STATUS would be a good idea.

Robert

The Whistler!

David Large
11-07-01, 01:49 PM
I think this sounds a good idea, but of course there are companies who are members of STATUS which removes their impartiality.
David Large
Silver Surfer with a 289

robert
11-07-01, 02:18 PM
There are many members of STATUS, however STATUS direct would be impartial, one would hope.

I will give them a call and see what they say.

Robert

The Whistler!