PDA

View Full Version : anti roll bars

JR
26-05-07, 06:52 PM
My SRV8 has mounting brackets on the chassis for a front anti roll bar, but I have never fitted one.
Have any other SR owners driven their cars with & without to tell me what difference it makes to handling if any?

John R

Clarkson
26-05-07, 07:34 PM
My SRV8 has mounting brackets on the chassis for a front anti roll bar, but I have never fitted one.
Have any other SR owners driven their cars with & without to tell me what difference it makes to handling if any?

John R

Hi,I upgraded my anti roll bar with the latest SR which is a lot thicker than the early one I had fitted. I have never driven the car without it fitted, so can't really comment on how it feels without it.

JR
26-05-07, 08:25 PM
Clarkson,
Did you have to alter the brackets for larger diameter?
What made you change to the later one and roughly how much?
How does the bar fix to the shock carrier plates - I seem to remember there is a small bracket there as well?
Thanks
John R

Clarkson
26-05-07, 08:38 PM
Clarkson,
Did you have to alter the brackets for larger diameter?
What made you change to the later one and roughly how much?
How does the bar fix to the shock carrier plates - I seem to remember there is a small bracket there as well?
Thanks
John R

"Did you have to alter the brackets for larger diameter?"

No, not that I can remember.

"What made you change to the later one and roughly how much?"

I wanted my old anti roll bar powder coated and new bushes, and at that point Jay @ racetec said there was a later type that was more beefed up. So I bought that. Cost was about 200 with new bigger ali drop links too.

"How does the bar fix to the shock carrier plates - I seem to remember there is a small bracket there as well?"

As above, there are 2 ali drop links that gets bolted to the lower shock plates via 2 small bushes.

Cheers. :wink:

JR
26-05-07, 09:00 PM
Thanks for that - I would still like to hear from anyone who has experienced the difference a bar makes on any Cobra?

John R

cobrascim
27-05-07, 12:41 AM
Hi JR,
I'm building mine at present and haven't fitted an anti-rollbar.
I'm going to try it without initially. I had to remove the brackets anyway to get my front winged sump in. If I find I need it I will fit one in but it will be put in a different place. I've had to make do with what I could get my hands on over the years before Madgewick came along. By the time it was ressurrected I sourced parts from elsewhere. The Madgewick spring plates etc I believe are different and I dont think they use an anti-rollbar if I remember right in discussions at Stoneleigh with them. They run a much stiffer spring on the front and from what I hear the car handles really well on this new set up. If I have problems I will change over to theirs. I have used AK spring plates as I couldn't get any SR ones and welded on the eyes to suit. No provision for the rollbar. We'll see.
John.

TINKA
27-05-07, 10:56 AM
Although I drive an AK and not a SRV8 I never had an anti roll bar fitted for the first 3 years and only got around to fitting one last year and it transforms how the car handles, you can literally feel how much flatter the car stays when cornering and how much more sure footed the car feels. I would imagine you would get a similar feeling and my advice would be to defiantly give it a go. :D

JR
27-05-07, 10:59 AM
John,

How long have you been building your car? I doubt if you will be able to beat my 20 years!? Best not to rush these things.
I replaced my rear springs to the current Madgwick spec (which was nearly double the old SR rating) because on cornering my rear wheels were catching the inner wings.
I've left the front ones the same up to now - I don't think there is quite so much difference.
What have you got left to do now?
Keep at it!
John R

Clarkson
27-05-07, 11:47 AM
John,

How long have you been building your car? I doubt if you will be able to beat my 20 years!? Best not to rush these things.
I replaced my rear springs to the current Madgwick spec (which was nearly double the old SR rating) because on cornering my rear wheels were catching the inner wings.
I've left the front ones the same up to now - I don't think there is quite so much difference.
What have you got left to do now?
Keep at it!
John R

What spring rating have you fitted??

JR
27-05-07, 12:44 PM
I fitted 275lb ones from Demon Tweeks

John R

Clarkson
27-05-07, 12:46 PM
I fitted 275lb ones from Demon Tweeks

John R

Is that each on the rears??

JR
27-05-07, 01:23 PM
Yes - the original ones were 160 lbs each, so you can see the difference.
the fronts I've got are 350lbs - I don't know how that compares with current spec?
Just out of interest, when I started my kit SR were charging 350 for all six shox complete with springs.
If I'd bought the anti roll bar at that time it would have cost 86.00.

John R

Clarkson
27-05-07, 01:29 PM
Yes - the original ones were 160 lbs each, so you can see the difference.
the fronts I've got are 350lbs - I don't know how that compares with current spec?
Just out of interest, when I started my kit SR were charging 350 for all six shox complete with springs.
If I'd bought the anti roll bar at that time it would have cost 86.00.

John R

Thats a bit stiff on the rear,I fitted 225 by 8" on the rears and 450 on the front,but have a chevy fitted.

You got to fit the anti roll bar,it's meant to be fitted.

cobrascim
27-05-07, 11:57 PM
JR,
Not quite 20 years yet. I picked up a chassis back in around '98 while I had an old Cheetah cobra to run around in. Since then i was on the lookout for SR bits and pieces which were not available. Even when phoning Jay for bits I think it was a case of there might be something lying around if I can find it. Being up in Scotland doesn't help either when you could do with a visit to other SR owners etc. I had none of the special parts for the SR and have had to go my own way and copy parts etc over the years. Anyway while I was gathering parts I rebuilt my scimitar from the ground up into my reliable everyday transport. That kept me going for 4-5 years. Over the years I tried to pick up second hand bits and bobs and even the body ended up being from an old DAX. That was interesting to cut up and fit! So you can understand what has taken the time. I suppose I only really started in anger about 3 years ago. By this time I had a lot of my bits made up so I couldn't really use Madgewick parts. If only they had been around before I got underway with my purchases.
Now at the stage of flatening the primer for the top coat in the next few weeks and then a rush to fit it all back together.
The car runs, moves, stops and all electrics are working before I started on the body work. I aim to have it on the road this summer. Fingers crossed.
Clarkson- I was maverick on the old website but had to re-register as I couldn't get on here using what I thought was my password. I had an old email address registered and therefore could not get a new one sent out.
John.

JR
28-05-07, 10:52 AM
John,

Sounds like you've really worked hard to produce your car!
The worst I had to do was adapt a non-SVA kit to a compliant one.

JR

cobrascim
28-05-07, 03:58 PM
Yep had all those SVA woes to contend with as well. Probably same ones as yourself.
Hopefully right up to date now.
My chassis was I believe produced in about '92
John.

Clarkson
28-05-07, 04:05 PM
[quote="cobrascim"]

"Clarkson- I was maverick on the old website but had to re-register as I couldn't get on here using what I thought was my password. I had an old email address registered and therefore could not get a new one sent out."

Arrr,I wondered where you have disppeared too!! :? :?

cobrascim
28-05-07, 05:52 PM
Only disappeared under a cobra in the garage!
Fingers crossed this summer it'll be on the road, finally!
Anyway do Fords still rule???

Clarkson
28-05-07, 08:53 PM
"Anyway do Fords still rule???"

Nah not anymore mate,times have changed round here mate!
:wink:

JR
28-05-07, 09:26 PM
John,

Was your chassis numbered? I don't know whether you saw my earlier post about this? Mine wasnt' and the records seem a bit vague - I guess the only way I could find out is by finding cars with 1987 chassis and working out where mine fits in by date! could be a long job!
Got any pics of your project so far?
JR

cobrascim
29-05-07, 12:22 AM
My chassis is numbererd. On the top middle of the front crossmember. I can get you the number if required. In one of my calls to Jay at Racetech he was able to tell from the approx. year mine was produced. I belive his records on went up so far and mine seemed to be just after that. If I am remembering correctly.
I have loads of pics. Quite a few showing all the different modifications I have carried out as well.
I could send a latest ones in primer if you like.
When I get my login sorted back to original I can maybe upload some more. Do we have a members gallery on this site?
John.

mitch427
25-05-10, 12:20 PM

John R

hi i had to do some front end work to my srv8 so i took my anti roll bar off. when i had done the work i tried it with out the bar but the car bottoms out quite badly. so the answer is i think fit one.
cheers allen