PDA

View Full Version : Auto Speciali AS427... Comments / reviews please

mattstead
08-06-07, 12:13 AM
Hi there, Whilst lookinground and planning a cobra build I've come across Auto Speciali AS427 replica, but can't really find out much other information, certainly not any road tests or build reports.

the photo's of the chassis on their website http://www.thecartoown.com/ actually make it look very much like a larger Caterham seven style chassis, but the only info I can find on the net is that the jury is out on the coilover mounting locations.
I believe that this car used to be the fiero factory cobra replica, but am informed that it has many changes. Does anyone know any more? is building one? or has seen one close up?

Many thanks.

robinj66
08-06-07, 07:40 PM
Seen their chassis at shows and spoken to the guys there. The chassis is very strong and well thought out. I believe the body is still made by the Fiero people.

There was a finished car at Detling show. It looked very smart and had a lovely Mustang engine under the bonnet.

You have a pm

Purple AK
08-06-07, 08:56 PM
Hi Matt and Welcome :D
Doing a few sums shows the basic Body/Chassis + needed extras coming in around 985 more than the AK basic kit which includes all the extras! And most of the hard work already done :wink: That 985 saving would cover the cost of refurbishing the Jaguar components. And you would end up with a proven Jag based car! Of course I may be biased :roll: But the numbers speak for themselves :D

dinosoar
09-06-07, 07:53 AM
I wasn't very impressed with the show car at Stoneleigh. In fact I was a bit annoyed that it had my initials on the Bonnet!
I think the body was copied from a Sumo.
I have to say that we have a local member who is building a fiero factory euro 427 and he has had all sorts of niggles. That is not to say that they are present in this car but I would not fancy being one of their 'product development customers'. Find someone who had direct experience of the product before you make a decision.
At the end of the day there is plenty of choice with the established brands.

Andy Soar

johnnycobra
17-06-07, 11:03 PM
The chassis shown on the website is indeed the same as the old Fiero Factory Euro 427. If the FF people still have anything to do with it you should approach with caution. Its a good simple design but, under the FF ownership, the quality standards and standards of finish were very low (at least in my experience). In the hands of the right people however, it could be a real winner.

stevey
18-06-07, 09:28 AM
both Johnny cobra and I have built Fiero/euro 427/ auto speciali cars (they have been supplied by several companies which are all tied to Fiero apron strings one way or another so see other threads on the forum for that well trodden path!) it is a Sumo copy the chassis is good and strong. the company I dealt with went under which caused a few headaches and caused me to shop around more than I would have liked to. the panel fit needs a fair amount of patience to get right more possibly than DAX/Crendon/AK etc but you can still get a car that looks good. picture of mine with Rover V8 in below and as a final point johnnycobra has a small block Ford in his so they handle power very well. good luck
Steve

johnnycobra
29-06-07, 10:20 PM
Stevey is right, I do have a Ford 302 with a T-5 transmission and it seems to handle the power very well. Whats more the old Sierra XR4i diff hold up well. The finished car weighs less than 2000 lbs and goes like a beast when you put your foot down. The problem with the old Fiero Factory product was never the design; its the poor execution. Its a shame the Euro 427 group couldn't make a go of it. Anyway, not to be outdone by Stevey, here is my Euro 427.

KevinW
04-07-07, 09:43 AM
If you didnt see the announcment in Snake Torque, Keith Kirk who ran autospeciali recently died. I dont know whats happening to his company.

He was a really nice guy, very knowldgeable and helpful when I spoke to him about sumoes, even though he was no longer connected with pilgrim.

Kevin

craig bastow
12-12-08, 12:50 PM
Hi there, Whilst lookinground and planning a cobra build I've come across Auto Speciali AS427 replica, but can't really find out much other information, certainly not any road tests or build reports.

the photo's of the chassis on their website http://www.thecartoown.com/ actually make it look very much like a larger Caterham seven style chassis, but the only info I can find on the net is that the jury is out on the coilover mounting locations.
I believe that this car used to be the fiero factory cobra replica, but am informed that it has many changes. Does anyone know any more? is building one? or has seen one close up?

Many thanks.

Hi l used to work for Keith and john at Auto Speciali but since Keiths passing on l would look for a nother option if you are looking for cost go for a pligrim .
or if performance try gardener douglas. if its what looks araganel then go to Gerry hawkridge

your faithfully
Craig

Turbo phil
14-01-09, 02:34 PM
Hi Matt,http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif thought you might be interested in my info.
I have recently purchased an AS 427, having test driven thier demo car which was a4.5 350bhp monster and it handled superbly,http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gifyou are right about the chassis, similar set up to Caterham there have been several upgrades since change over from Fiero, the rear suspension mods were designed by an engineer from Mclaron. I have opted for a v6 ford granada 2.9 this should be ample. Am hoping to fit the engine this week. All in all so far I would say this is an excelent kit but there are a few negatives.http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif If you are going to build it yourself you need to be mechaniclly and electricaly very knoledgeable,http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif as there is no instruction manual ( I bought a Sumo manual which helps a bit )and there is quite a lot of personal fabrication required, however Auto speciali will make everything for you at a cost and if you are prepared to waight for supply of parts.The engineer at Autospeciali is very knowledgeable and helpful, so at least there is back up on the phone if you get stuck or hit a snag.Ok so my overall opinion so far good product & looking forward to completion! Please feel free to ask me any questions, I'll try to help if I can.
cheers. Phil.

Many thanks.

gareth08
15-01-09, 11:45 PM
One of the guys in the Se region bought the demo car last year ( I think he actually lived in Greenwich) which had the 5.0ltr EFI Mustang engine in it. As far as I know he sold the car on. Not sure why exactly but maybe one of the other guys know.

realyweely
16-01-09, 12:58 PM
I think their Healey replica it totally rubbish in looks.
Putting Mini lights on a Healey just aint done,,sorry

samwise5555
10-07-09, 12:15 AM
One of the guys in the Se region bought the demo car last year ( I think he actually lived in Greenwich) which had the 5.0ltr EFI Mustang engine in it. As far as I know he sold the car on. Not sure why exactly but maybe one of the other guys know.

Hi, no I've still got it (although I've kinda got it up for sale again - too many cars and not enough garages!), I've just been so busy I've just not been coming to any of the meets, sorry!

I'm very happy with it and apart from checking the oil and tightening the odd nut haven't had to touch it in a year but as the demonstrator I'm sure it had a full shake down early on in life. If anyone is mid-build, is visiting London and want to look the car over for inspiration you are more than welcome.

Cheers all,

Jason

qkingston
20-07-09, 06:37 PM
I've got one of the other Euro 427s (now aka AS 427) and have just completed SVA and registration with no real problems. IMHO it is a pretty reasonable car; chassis is strong, body is very similar to the Pilgrim and uses the Ford Sierra/Granada donor. It keeps the correct (ie as Ford designed it) suspension geometry so the handling doesn't suffer some of issues you may have seen with the Sumo. The body/panel fit is ok, and from what I have read of all but the most expensive kits is broadly comparable. You dont need to jack up the rear of the engine bay as per Sumo. Down sides are lack of a manual (but the Sumo one is similar and the forum fills in other gaps of detail) All in all a decent competitor in the market but as others have said it is a real shame that it isn't well marketed/supported. Euro 427 and Nigel Ramsey were going in the right direction until that came to an unfortunate end (even if he still owes me money!! ). Between Steve, John and myself we have a reasonable amount of experience to pass on if needed.

Rgds

QK