PDA

View Full Version : Are Cobras getting too 'Tarty' ?

PeteV
18-07-01, 08:37 PM
Here's one to get you all going !

Do you think that all this ' Chrome & Wilton ' stuff is getting out of hand ?

It's pure personal preference here, but I'm beginning to come round to thinking that the more 'basic' format actually looks more 'business like' as well as undeniably 'racier ' - if thats the correct spelling .

Do people think that, God forbid , some Cobra replicas can actually be so far over the top in the 'dress up' department that they might even stand accused of being a 'wee bit poofey' !

I think it was GD who did a black car about a couple of years ago which was minus front bumper - I though the general balance of this particular car (featured in various mags) was absolutely spot on.

What do you think ??

Pete.

robert
18-07-01, 09:03 PM
As a GD owner without a front nudge bar, and just being in the process of getting rid on my rear nudge bar, and the fact that I don't subscribe to the chrome syndrome, I agree IMHO that some cars are looking far too shiny.

Best Regards

Rob

PS, I don't even have anything shiny under my bonnet.

PeteT
18-07-01, 10:15 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,isn`t it ?
Isn`t this one of the concepts of building a Cobra
DO your own THANG.,.,.,.,baby!}>

mal
19-07-01, 12:11 AM
as they say,beauty is in the eye of the beholder!personaly i love custom cars,v8`s,muscle cars,top fuel dragster`s,santa`s sleigh,and my mountain bike.
they all give insurmountable abundance of pleasure,all depends on ya! mood,and which way the winds blowing,
But mostly i just like to see the fruits of someones hard work,regardless of the chrome or otherwise.:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Mal, with the half built AK!(It`s waiting for all it`s shiny bit`s) }> }> }>

RigMan
19-07-01, 06:35 AM
Who are you calling 'Tarty' and a poof!!!!!!!!!!!!1!x( x( x(

....yeah, and by the way Mal, I hear that Santa's latest motor is a Keith Black special, funded through his latest sponsorship deal with Edelbrock. Guess he won't be late this year! (not unless he throws a blower belt again)!!:D

RigMan:*

David Large
19-07-01, 07:34 AM
Pete,
I personally agree with you but of course it is each to his own.
I think the shape of the Cobra is superb on its own without all the glitz..
James' photos look great without all the chrome on the back.
David Large
Silver Surfer with a 289 (no nudge bars etc.)

imported_admin
19-07-01, 08:53 AM
The MORE Chrome the better.Seeing as plating other peoples cars supports my own habit.:D :D :D Ring me if you want some 01-462-732158(bedfordshire)

imported_admin
19-07-01, 09:21 AM
An advert for above services

imported_admin
19-07-01, 09:53 AM
Sorry about above thread cant get system to upload a 39945 byte picture.
I guess Robert dont do free advertising

imported_admin
19-07-01, 10:18 AM
EACH TO THERE OWN,I'D SAY. NOTHING WRONG WITH A GOOD OL' TART!!

wilf
19-07-01, 01:56 PM
Pete - all this is a matter of taste and opinion. Personally, I prefer a Cobra to look more "original" and basic - since mine is an s/c, this means no nudge bars etc, and a cockpit which is not full of leather and wilton. But that's just my personal view (my 2c's!!). I would like to get rid of the over-riders and fit quick lift brackets, but don't fancy explaining to my nice insurance company why they just got a claim from a multi-punctured pedestrian!
At present I'm running my car in grungy black gelcoat - it's almost matt black, I haven't even deflashed it much, and I kinda like it!! I sure as heck don't care about stonechips, and when I put it into the gravel traps sideways (and backwards) at considerable velocities at Donnington the other evening all I was worried about was how quick I could get back onto the track!
Nothing tarty about my car, nosiree - it's as butch as they get!

BUT!!! - if someone wants to build a really "pretty" cobra, good for them!

WIlf

RigMan
19-07-01, 04:42 PM
....................I used Arlsey electoplaters for some things, are they near you Gruns? I know they were good and would recomend them to anyone!

RigMan:-)

Dan
19-07-01, 07:21 PM
I'll be happy to get my Cobra to move regardless of what it looks like - Nope I don't think that the Cobra is over the top in it's fancy crome get out. The only problem with a shiny car is that you can tell when it's dirty! personally I'm going to go bumperless as I have never really liked them and I can imagine them a real bore to clean, but I will go for the stone chip protectors, I'd like to make up a Carbon Fibre protector as it may look good against the black body. But hey, Thats the beauty of building your own car - you get to choose more than just it's colour and the type of stereo it's got... :-)

Dan 'Were all these nuts used before?' Man

imported_admin
20-07-01, 09:14 AM
DONT SWEAR AT ME RIGMAN
x( x( x( x(
YOU'VE TRIED THE REST ETC....
STEVE:D :D

Roscoe
20-07-01, 02:15 PM
Pete,
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.priveye.com/cobra/CSI.JPG

Roscoe
http://www.priveye.com/cobra.htm

PeteV
20-07-01, 03:14 PM
Love it !!:9

David Large
20-07-01, 05:25 PM
Of course all this chrome stuff leads to sidepipes and a link with other threads on engines and the gorgeous "V8 burble" sound.
All these chrome sidepipes with no balance pipe destroy the V8 burble and lead to a sound which is really just "two out of synch. four pots".
Just a thought as I leave you all to go on holiday for 2 weeks.
Seeya.
David Large
Silver Surfer with a plain but burbly 289!:9 :9 :9

Bob
20-07-01, 07:22 PM
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/User_files/Bob/3b5876ac5cf0c9ec.jpg
Minimalistic sumo front end:-) :-)

Bob
20-07-01, 07:26 PM
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/User_files/Bob/3b5877b15ef2b839.jpg
Minimalistic Sumo back end , but that only cos it aint finished but its getting there. Big thanks to Paul.:-) :-) :-)

graham
20-07-01, 09:57 PM
Excuse me, question for david Large, whats a balance pipe? I have got custom chrome 4" quads and I would be interested to know what a balance pipe would do, I cant have my V8 not sounding right can I !!!

Qestion for Bob Have you had yours SVA'd yet, if so does your screen comply and what about the flat lens type glass on your lights as I like those.

Cheers

graham

David Large
20-07-01, 10:17 PM
>Excuse me, question for david Large, whats a balance pipe? I have got
>custom chrome 4" quads and I would be interested to know what a
>balance pipe would do, I cant have my V8 not sounding right can I !!!

>If this is a serious question. A balance pipe links the exhaust system off each bank of cylinders. So if you have an underfloor system then the balance pipe crosses the car linking right hand pipe to left hand pipe usually positioned between the back of the sump and the bellhousing. My perception is that cars with sidepipes rarely have this since they exit the car close to the header. Lack of a balance pipe affects the V8 noise. That's all. What's a custom chrome 4" quad? It's all a matter of personal choice init!
Catch up in 2 weeks chaps.
Seeya
David Large

>Qestion for Bob Have you had yours SVA'd yet, if so does your screen
>comply and what about the flat lens type glass on your lights as I
>like those.
>
>Cheers
>
>graham

DanH
21-07-01, 03:22 AM
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/User_files/DanH/3b58e606f2d239de.jpg

Does this answer the subject question? I collected this specimen at the Shelby American Car Club meet last week.

Don't be alarmed- I took many more pix of the original Shelby iron in attendance than I did of this example.

Dan

RigMan
21-07-01, 06:45 AM
AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Dan, I don't wish to appear xenophobic, after all I like Americans, but that car has to be an example of American bad taste. To my eye, that has to be the sadist looking Cobra I have ever seen!

RigMan:-(

paul
21-07-01, 07:35 AM
Hi there I totally agree with the Rigman But wait where was the picture of that guy's engine bay ? It could have been done in a tastefull matt black so that would have made it ok wouldn't it
cheers
Paul :-) :-)

Bob
21-07-01, 07:56 AM
Graham the screen is SVA compliant its not from Pilgrim but from Auto Brass. A couple of guys from the Essex mob have passed SVA with the standard Lucas flat lenses. I have to say I am a bit worried because there is no E number or S rating.Its Not ready for the SVA yet the interior is a little too minimalistic having no seats or instument panel fitted yet. Rigman should be able to help us out with the lens question because he will be putting his work of art to the dreaded test very soon. Good luck Rig.
Back to balance tubes I aggree with David they really do improve the sound and make the volume a little less. I've got a mate with a Firebird with one fitted and it sound great I tried to come up with a system for a Rover in a Sumo but failed. If anyone know how to do it let me know.

PeteV
21-07-01, 03:25 PM
Looks like I really started something with this thread !

Like the photo DanH !

Slightly different subject but I recall a few years ago there was a feature in the american Kit Car publication showing examples of when builders take the art of homebrew ingenuity well past the unwritten limits & should have gone out bought the correct bits !. A few examples I recall were :-

- Garden trowels , chrome plated , used as winscreen supports

- Tumble dryer hose sprayed silver and used as mock exhaust mainfold hoses

- I saw a cobra over here not too long ago where the builder had used what appeared to be plastic drain pipe complete with part of some drain fitting on the end as mock sidepipes !!

I'm absolutely all for as much diy and inventiveness as possible, but sometimes people take things to the extreme ! - maybe If anyones got any good photos we could have a thread on this one !

Pete.

Trigger
21-07-01, 04:14 PM
>http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/User_files/DanH/3b58e606f2d239de.jpg
>
>
>Does this answer the subject question? I collected this specimen at
>the Shelby American Car Club meet last week.
>
>Don't be alarmed- I took many more pix of the original Shelby iron in
>attendance than I did of this example.
>
>Dan

Looks like you would have to stand up to drive this orange beast with that bonnet. Difficult with the hood up though!

Trigger.

imported_admin
21-07-01, 04:55 PM
I believe the best point to connect a balance is the hottest point after the collector. You can find this point by applying a line of white paint and seeing where it burns first or worst (that's assuming you don't mind having a line of burnt white paint on your exhausts)! x( x(

This probably explains why most Cobra owners don't bother with them, not the white paint, but with sidepipes the collector is usually outside the body making it difficult to attach a balance pipe in the right place without looking ugly.

Has anybody found a way round this? or does anybody know a better way to determine the correct position to attach the pipe?

Paul :-)

DanH
21-07-01, 05:23 PM
Paul-

Sorry, but the engine bay and interior were just as tasteful as the exterior. Some sort of fuel injection system on the induction side, as I recall. And, of course, a generous helping of chrome. I must admit that Americans have taken the art of overbuilding/overdecorating cars over the top on a regular basis. However, I am delighted to observe that the Japanese currently reign supreme in such automotive excess with their pastel-colored, winged street car creations e.g.:

http://www.fuckedcar.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Fucked_Rice&img=16

Dan

imported_admin
21-07-01, 10:28 PM
>Excuse me, question for david Large, whats a balance pipe? I have got
>custom chrome 4" quads and I would be interested to know what a
>balance pipe would do, I cant have my V8 not sounding right can I !!!
>
>Qestion for Bob Have you had yours SVA'd yet, if so does your screen
>comply and what about the flat lens type glass on your lights as I
>like those.
>
>Cheers
>
>graham

A BALANCE PIPE IS A PIPE THAT JOINS EACH SIDE OF YOUR EXHAUST SYSTEM,BEFORE THE SIDE PIPES.AND IT IS BEST TO KEEP IT AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE, NOT EASY ON A COBRA WITH SIDE PIPES.EASY WITH REAR EXIT PIPES AS THEY ARE SIDE BY SIDE UNDER THE CAR.JUST A MATTER OF JOINING THE TWO AS CLOSE TO THE FRONT OF THE SYSTEM AS POSSIBLE.

mal
22-07-01, 10:22 PM
DAN H, that gold&white tart is an out&out Hussy,and beelonnng`s
in a whorehouse!;-)

Mal,with the half built AK! (but it`s getting there) }> }> }>

David Large
25-07-01, 06:41 PM
>Graham the screen is SVA compliant its not from Pilgrim but from Auto
>Brass. A couple of guys from the Essex mob have passed SVA with the
>standard Lucas flat lenses. I have to say I am a bit worried because
>there is no E number or S rating.Its Not ready for the SVA yet the
>interior is a little too minimalistic having no seats or instument
>panel fitted yet. Rigman should be able to help us out with the lens
>question because he will be putting his work of art to the dreaded
>test very soon. Good luck Rig.
>Back to balance tubes I aggree with David they really do improve the
>sound and make the volume a little less. I've got a mate with a
>Firebird with one fitted and it sound great I tried to come up with a
>system for a Rover in a Sumo but failed. If anyone know how to do it
>let me know.
Bob, Thanks for your conmment, its nice to know somebody agrees with me
David Large,; on holiday in a cyber cafe! How sad is that!

imported_admin
26-07-01, 12:48 AM
Firstly I prefer minimalist on the glitz front, and black interiors are the biz.
On the V8 noise thingy, my car has a crackly rattle at the 800RPM tick over, which makes it sound like a Land Rover 90 from the side. But as soon as the revs rise to around 1300, that NASCAR V8 throb starts to come through! No balance pipes required here thank you very much.

Oh and the other thing to consider, is that a balance pipe will make jetting the carb a tad more difficult on the dyno.

Andy:

robert
26-07-01, 10:48 AM
You wouldn't be using your exhaust on the dyno. If it is a good dyno shop, they will have their own headers with temp sensors and lambda sensors installed in each exhaust port.

Robert

The Whistler!

Jesus
26-07-01, 12:14 PM
Caming back to the main point.

I do not think that a little shiny and carefully finish Cobra gets to Tarty, (of course I am not talking about the bad taste of the american Cobra from the picture).

I think that all depend on the use you will do for your car, race or very spotive use for few hours, in this way oviously you will avoid shiny bumpers, rear mirrors, and a beautiful and corfortable seats and carpets, better use a good race seats.

But if you use is more than a sport tourism for week ends and vacations, you will appreciate a confortable seats and carpets, rear mirrors, and of course a good bumpers, I am pretty afraid that somebody could scrath my car in a parking.

Jesus

paul
26-07-01, 08:06 PM
Hi there perhaps Andy meant rolling road
cheers
Paul :-)

wilf
26-07-01, 10:47 PM
Rob - interested in your comment about headers on a rolling road. You are right that lambda sensors are the 100% best way to tune, but no point in this if you don't have them in your car.
Spent this afternoon on a rolling road in my car - the resident goblin asked "where are the oxy sensor points" -I said "what mate - its a Cobra - don't have 'em". He said "how can I alter the map then?" - there followed a discussion about electronics vs the real world!! ( for those who might not know, a map is only present in an efi car - definitely not on a carburettored dinosaur like most of our Cobs).
Eventually he reluctantly used CO ( the good old fashioned way) - worked fine - have got rid of the lean mixture at WOT (detonation anyone?). Car ran at 400bhp at the wheels - are you worried yet Rob? Had to sit on the boot to stop wheelspin on the rollers at 150mph! Loved it. Life is so enervating with a Cobra. Tie downs, what tie downs??

OK - seriously - whats the point in tuning your carb/efi without the headers/intake arrangement you are going to use on the road? For engine development work, reference headers etc are correct, but not for road cars surely?

yours in 400 hp fords

Wilf

imported_admin
27-07-01, 10:53 AM
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/User_files/gruns20/P7270007.jpeg.jpg
Now I've got the hang of this uploading lark
Steve G.

robert
27-07-01, 11:46 AM
>Car ran at 400bhp at the wheels - are you worried yet Rob?

Not in the slightest.

Robert

The Whistler!

imported_admin
28-07-01, 01:01 AM
Yes I did mean chassis dyno. All the cars that I have had dynoed have been carb engined jobbies and have been tuned with the good old CO meter and a dyno operator who knows what he's doing!
I did purchase an Edelbrock mixture meter about a year ago, but haven't got around to welding the Lamda sensor boss into one of the headers yet. TBC on that one.

Andy

PeteV
28-07-01, 09:33 PM
Nice & shiny Rover under the bonnet Steve G. - whats the spec on this one ?

Pete.

imported_admin
30-07-01, 08:31 AM
Standard Rover insides with Holley carb and Mallory Maglite distributor.
Looking for Stainless headers and exhaustat moment.Was going to do heads and cam this winter but have decided to save up pennies for 4.6 lump.

Steve G.