PDA

View Full Version : Interior door panels

hfbradley01
24-06-07, 08:43 PM
I've had a go at making a template for the interior door panels. I used cardboard to get the shape I wanted, and then used newspaper and paste to cover it and make the template.

The plan is to let it dry and then remove the paper from the cardboard leaving the shape of the panel. I'll fibreglass the inside of the paper template and it should in theory give me a good shaped panel.

I've attached a photo and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Iain
24-06-07, 10:37 PM
Looking great Howard!

I've mailed you my progress along with a few pics. I'm leaving the cockpit until last as I think it it will take me the most time...

Cheers...

Deck
27-06-07, 07:12 PM
Hi Howard,
feel free to take offence at this but...

If you glass over what you have done you would then have a set of moulds for these parts.

I, and others, could then buy a set of those parts off you?

alternately I could buy the moulds off you when you're done and make my own parts?

Good idea with the pattern but make sure you use loads of wax on it to release the glass parts.

Best of luck with it either way.
Regards
Declan

Iain
27-06-07, 11:53 PM
Deck,

I wouldn't even bother mate. You are relying that not only Howard's chassis AND body are exactly the same as yours (which they are not) and you are also relying on your body being fitted exactly the same as Howard's.

There are too many variables there so I'm going to do the same as Howard and make some templates up myself!

I think it's going to be better in the long run but that's just my two penneth! :shock:

Cheers...

Deck
28-06-07, 08:10 PM
I know Iain, Was being stupidly optimistic again. Just got excited when I spotted the exact same chassis as mine...I had begun to fear I was the only one!!

Figured I could trim a bit here and add a bit there when fitting?!
I can't quite imagine how the finished article is supposed to look though, particularly when looking at the gap in the car. Can you post some after picks please Howard? Good luck with it!

Looks like I'm missing rear inner arches too! Don't know why I didnt spot that before.

Right! Back to work, gotta split the loom (yet again!) to put in wires for the handbrake switch that I forgot about.
Cheers
Dec

hfbradley01
28-06-07, 08:26 PM
I know Iain, Was being stupidly optimistic again. Just got excited when I spotted the exact same chassis as mine...I had begun to fear I was the only one!!

Figured I could trim a bit here and add a bit there when fitting?!
I can't quite imagine how the finished article is supposed to look though, particularly when looking at the gap in the car. Can you post some after picks please Howard? Good luck with it!

Looks like I'm missing rear inner arches too! Don't know why I didnt spot that before.

Right! Back to work, gotta split the loom (yet again!) to put in wires for the handbrake switch that I forgot about.
Cheers
Dec

Hi Dec

I've coverered the paper mache template in parcel tape, sprayed polish over it and glassed over it. I'll post some pics when it sets and fit it into the car so you can see it in situ, assuming it's any good of course. Lessons learned so far.....

1. put plenty of paper mache on to make sure the template is solid.
2. don't try and cover the template in clingfilm, it doesn't work.

I love a challenge !!!!!!

Cheers