PDA

View Full Version : A21 alternative route?

dingocooke
25-06-07, 03:26 PM
Got to get myself down to Hurst Green at the bottom end of the A21 on saturday morning, and have heard its scheduled to be closed this weekend-doh!
So, anyone with local knowledge can come up with an alternative route, I'd planned to travel M1 south then M25 Dartford crossing then A21 almost to Lewes. Setting off 5am and hope to be starting the return journey around 10am if it helps.

Cheers in advance

Steve

PaulF
25-06-07, 04:43 PM
Do you know where it is going to be closed? I think some of the A21 is being used for the Tour de France, but that is the following weekend.

dingocooke
25-06-07, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately I have no idea, all I know is it was on the overhead gantry on the M25 when I went down last thursday, and the Highways agency website offers no more details that I can find.

Purple AK
25-06-07, 04:49 PM
Steve.
As far as I know it was only due to be closed on 22nd-25th June and only the top end (Sevenoaks/Tonbridge Bypass) Check with the Highways Agency. If it is still going to be closed PM me and I can talk you down from the Swanley turnoff back on to the A21 at Pembury :wink:
You're not looking at another car per chance :roll: :lol: :wink:

Neil O
25-06-07, 04:53 PM
Do you know where it is going to be closed? I think some of the A21 is being used for the Tour de France, but that is the following weekend.

Is the Tour de France not in France anymore then? :shock:

TINKA
25-06-07, 04:54 PM
Steve.
As far as I know it was only due to be closed on 22nd-25th June and only the top end (Sevenoaks/Tonbridge Bypass) Check with the Highways Agency. If it is still going to be closed PM me and I can talk you down from the Swanley turnoff back on to the A21 at Pembury :wink:
You're not looking at another car per chance :roll: :lol: :wink:

And could that be crendonman's :?: :D :wink:

dingocooke
25-06-07, 04:55 PM
Yes Chris!
Ive bought 'Crendonmans' Crendon, which I went to see it last thursday night (I 'popped in' after work LOL) which is when I saw the overhead gantry sign saying it would be closed, but I dont trust those gantry messages!
Collecting it first thing this saturday; currently doing a rain dance to try and empty the sky for saturday hehe.

(You cant hide anything on here can you, i think Neil knew I was buying it before I did!!!)

Andy S
25-06-07, 05:01 PM
Steve if you need any help pm me and I will send you my number.
I live 10mins from Crendonmans house.

dingocooke
25-06-07, 05:05 PM
nice one andy have pmd you my details ta

Neil O
25-06-07, 05:27 PM
Yes Chris!
Ive bought 'Crendonmans' Crendon,

(You cant hide anything on here can you, i think Neil knew I was buying it before I did!!!)

In a way I was wrong, I thought you might go for a new one. :D
You'll certainly have some fun with that car, once you get the big block in it. :wink:

Andy S
25-06-07, 05:41 PM
Steve you might just be in luck, attached url from Highways agency says its postponed this coming weekend.
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/15229.aspx
But as soon as I get your pm I will ring you with 2 alternatives just in case.

dingocooke
25-06-07, 08:33 PM
Hi Andy

PM resent, and have emailed and asked highways if its going to be closed.
Whether they reply before next june is another thing!!!

Hi Neil, I still think youre reading my mind in some way; I've spent the last two days reading about big blocks as part of a complex future fantasy involving the Crendon and my garage....next thing, read up about toploaders....I think its a disease...btw what block is your 427??

Purple AK
25-06-07, 08:35 PM
Steve. Didn't the BB that Dave was building come in the deal??????????

dingocooke
25-06-07, 08:42 PM
Well it wasnt mentioned!

I seem to remember his son sayng it had been sold; maybe Im wrong on that one.

Im in the starnge position of having bought and paid for a car without meeting the owner as Daves overseas at the moment, so all the detail info has been understandably a little shaky! In fairness his family have been really friendly and helpful, but only he knows the minutia.

Andy S
25-06-07, 08:53 PM
Dave does still get on the site from abroad every now and then so if you have specific questions drop him a pm, if you remember how.
will ring you tomorrow eve with 2 alternative routes from M25 just in case A21 is closed.

dingocooke
25-06-07, 08:59 PM
He should be there saturday so Ill try and ask him everything then if i can get over the excitement....

Andy S
25-06-07, 09:05 PM
I might have to pop over for a brew then, about 9am should do it :D

Neil O
26-06-07, 10:33 AM
Hi Neil, I still think youre reading my mind in some way; I've spent the last two days reading about big blocks as part of a complex future fantasy involving the Crendon and my garage....next thing, read up about toploaders....I think its a disease...btw what block is your 427??

When we eventually meet I'll let you in on the secret of how I know your every thought........ :wink:

Mine is a sideoiler, which is "reasuringly expensive" to say the least.
I would say go for the 390 FE stroked to around 406ci. That will do the job and look the part without spending huge amounts of cash.
I opted for the Tremec, as I wanted the fifth gear. The Toploader seemed a little limited when I drove John Kerr's car. Saying that though, he uses his car for lots of short trips while my useage is a bit longer mileage but less often.

I think you'll find that Dave (Crendonman) is a genuine guy who will be only too pleased to help with any queries about the car, even after he's got your money. :D

Pass on my regards if he's there when you collect the Pikey car. :wink:

simon
26-06-07, 10:39 AM

Is the Tour de France not in France anymore then? :shock:

The genius that is Ken Livingstone has brought it to London to massage his ego, F**k up the traffic and p**s off people who live in the SE......Bitter? ...me? ....NO! :x

crendonman
26-06-07, 02:36 PM
Well it wasnt mentioned!

I seem to remember his son sayng it had been sold; maybe Im wrong on that one.

Im in the starnge position of having bought and paid for a car without meeting the owner as Daves overseas at the moment, so all the detail info has been understandably a little shaky! In fairness his family have been really friendly and helpful, but only he knows the minutia.

Hi Steve,

The reason it wasnt mentioned is that it was sold some time ago before Xmas last year I recall!

I too had a dream of stroking a 390FE using a Super Cobrajet 428 Crankshaft (which I still have - In Canada!!) which would make it around a 420??

Anyway time and financial constraints dictated that I could not proceed and really I was very happy with the 351C, so I got shot of the 390FE block, to a Guy who does drag racing.

Its waterways are probably full of concrete now!!

Anyway, now the news is out in the public domain, I would just like to say
congratulations and thanks to Steve (top Bloke!!) a delight to do business with (which is unusual in this day and age!).

Whilst sad at losing the love of my life, I am delighted that my car is going to a very good home and will be well looked after.

Now that I have got some cash burning a hole in my pocket, I am looking around in Dubai for something suitable.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday Steve. Just come down the A21 if there are roadworks a Diversion will no doubt, be in place.

Cheers

David

Neil O
26-06-07, 03:22 PM
Something red next by chance Dave? :D As we discussed at the Dubai Crendon Owners Meeting. 8)

ps I bet you cry on Saturday mate. :cry:

crendonman
26-06-07, 03:30 PM
Something red next by chance Dave? :D As we discussed at the Dubai Crendon Owners Meeting. 8)

ps I bet you cry on Saturday mate. :cry:

Johns Demo Car is - Red isn't it!!

Now you've got me thinking!! 8)

Youre right mate I will probably cry my eyes out!! :cry: :cry:

Cheers

Dave

dingocooke
26-06-07, 06:20 PM
Nice one Dave: Ill bring you some tissues!! See you saturday; Im sooo excited hehe

dingocooke
26-06-07, 06:22 PM
Just got this from the highways agency:

A21 Tonbridge Bypass

Dear Steve

Thank you for contacting the Highways Agency Information Line regarding the proposed works at the aforementioned location.

I can confirm that we hope to proceed with works at Vauxhall Lane as planned from 29 June until 02 July 2007. However, these works are weather dependent and so we will monitor conditions throughout the week in order to form a decision as to whether they can proceed.

Works will involve a Londonbound lane 1 closure over the Vauxhall Lane Bridge and so traffic wishing to exit the A21 at this location will continue forward along the A21 to Morleys interchange to rejoin the A21 coastbound and exit at Vauxhall Lane.

We plan to complete works on lane 1 of the carriageway across the weekend of 29 June until 02 July 2007, and traffic management will then be changed so that lane 2 of the carriageway is closed and traffic will travel in lane 1 only for approximately 3 days whilst works are completed. All traffic management will then be removed from the A21.

I trust this fully answers your query, however, please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Margaret King
On Behalf of the Highways Agency