PDA

View Full Version : Light fixings

rich
03-07-07, 07:14 PM
Has anyone bothered with the Spire Clips (http://www.merecomponents.com/images/ebay/unuts/clip&screw1.jpg) and self tappers top hold the lights in place,

If so do they fit OK with the GRP?
Or, has everone gone for nuts, bolts and washers :?:

I know its only a small detail, but these things matter :wink:

craggle
03-07-07, 07:33 PM
Stainless steel flat blade screw driver bolts with stainless lock nuts on the back for my car. I also used flat washers under the nuts to spread the load a bit.

Used the same method for the rear lights, All 4 indicators and the headlight units.
You do need extendable arms though to hold a spanner on the top fixings of the head lights and you need an assistant to turn the screws from the outside.

Craig.

kevchard
03-07-07, 07:49 PM
I am in the 'Robin' camp on this one, i used rivnuts. In fact our cobra may have more rivnuts than Robins Landy :).
That way you can do screws up on your own.
JMO
Cheers
Kevin

Miket
03-07-07, 08:22 PM
All my lights came with with two threaded bolts and nuts already built into the back of lights, apart from the headlights which I fastened with stainless steel self tappers straight into the fibreglass, there's plenty of thickness round the holes. :wink: :wink:

Clive
03-07-07, 08:50 PM
Yes, I'm with Mike on this one. Self tappers for headlights and front & rear indicators. Rear lights have threaded studs that go through the fibreglass and internal reflector boxes. :wink:

dave
03-07-07, 10:54 PM
Yes, I'm with Mike on this one. Self tappers for headlights and front & rear indicators. Rear lights have threaded studs that go through the fibreglass and internal reflector boxes. :wink:

Clive.
I'm going to have to open a bottle of Tizer (Or maybe Irn Bru in this instance). I actually agree with you on this one. :D :D
None of my cars have ever had more than just stainless self tappers holding the head light bowls in.
My rears are usually the flat round glass variety and I fix these with 1/8" rivets as screws catch on the glass of the lense.

Clive
03-07-07, 11:13 PM

Clive.
I'm going to have to open a bottle of Tizer (Or maybe Irn Bru in this instance). I actually agree with you on this one. :D :D
None of my cars have ever had more than just stainless self tappers holding the head light bowls in.
My rears are usually the flat round glass variety and I fix these with 1/8" rivets as screws catch on the glass of the lense.

Hi Dave,
Something a wee bit stronger would be appreciated! :wink:
I have the L542 rear lights, so no problems deciding how to fit them. :D

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/c_johnston/P6170004.jpg