PDA

View Full Version : Door surround panels - 2nd attempt

hfbradley01
15-07-07, 06:59 PM
My 1st attempt at making fibreglass panels using a mould was not a huge success. The paper mache mould I made needed to be much thicker and stronger. My second attempt is to try and make the panels in sections. I've attached some pics to show my progress so far, but it's far from finished yet.

Cheers

bogster
15-07-07, 08:16 PM
My 1st attempt at making fibreglass panels using a mould was not a huge success. The paper mache mould I made needed to be much thicker and stronger. My second attempt is to try and make the panels in sections. I've attached some pics to show my progress so far, but it's far from finished yet.

Cheers

Why dont you use plain white wallpaper to make a template then cut out a piece of marine plywood and sand it to the final shape? Mount in position and drill holes. install rivnuts in drilled holes and screw panels into place. Use velcro tape and carpet adhesive to cover panel.

hfbradley01
16-07-07, 07:58 PM

Cheers

I've posted some pics in my initial post, I had to reduce the size to get them to post.

Cheers

hfbradley01
16-07-07, 08:02 PM
Why dont you use plain white wallpaper to make a template then cut out a piece of marine plywood and sand it to the final shape? Mount in position and drill holes. install rivnuts in drilled holes and screw panels into place. Use velcro tape and carpet adhesive to cover panel.

As you can see from the photos in my previous post, it is too complicated a shape for your solution to work, but thanks for posting. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees and miss the simple solutions.

Cheers

Deck
16-07-07, 11:18 PM
Coming along nicely Howard. As with everything on these it usually takes a couple of goes!! I'm still thinking you should make up two fibreglass parts as you do them and I'll buy the second one off you ;). Or maybe you might consider selling me those templates when you're done with them...

Not sure how appropriate it is to try and blagg an easy option like this but I think if I make anything of any use to man or beast as I go through this, em, build?, I'd like to see it used again if possible. Most of its been one off brackets for now. Oh, and a loom map for a bmw E30 wiring loom and fuse box...

Good luck with the lovely stuff anyway. Hope this one does the trick.
Dec

Clive
16-07-07, 11:34 PM
Do they need to be 3 dimensional? On the 289 they are made from flat hardboard and to secure them to the body it is just a matter of drilling a couple of holes in the panel (Approx 20mm dia) and squirting some filler foam through them. Don't put too much in or it will force the panels away from the body.;)

kevchard
17-07-07, 10:52 AM
I used 6mm marine ply in a 2 dimensional shape. The panel butted nicely up against the door reveal, and makes the cockpit area as large as possible, without having voids hidden behind panelling.
I used right angled brackets screwed to floor pan and attached plywood to this.
Looks alright when covered in carpet.
Cheers
Kevin