24-07-07, 01:26 PM
Hello,

I'm ater some advice,
- I want to own a hawk, 427 I have a budget of 35000
- Ideally want Jaguar running gear
- V8 5.7 chevy/ford
- I also want it built for me

Thanks

Hi and welcome. If you want a Kirkham building for you you'll need to increase your budget considerably. If you want to build a Kirkham yourself you'll need to increase your budget too :)

Might be worth looking at a used Crendon, one was sold recently for that kind of money I believe.

Good luck

wilf
24-07-07, 01:56 PM
Not sure where you are located, but with the dollar so low at present, going direct to Kirkham in the USA may be an option. They will sell a turnkey-minus, then you need someone to supply/fit and engine and gearbox.

Otherwise, for that sort of money in the UK, built 100% for you, then you are back down with us GRP-bodied folks.

You might (just) get a Crendon built by the factory for that price, you would definitely get a v nice Dax - see Dave Brookes.

Clive
24-07-07, 04:15 PM
Hi Rhodesia,
I have not long finished building a Hawk 289 with Ford 302, Jag IRS and uprated tubular front suspension.
I did all the work myself except painting and it cost me more than 30,000.
If you find a Kirkham for that price fully built there must be something wrong with it!

dingocooke
24-07-07, 04:53 PM
There's a world of difference in price between a Hawk 289 or a Crendon 427 and a Kirkham 427 in build price, and thats self build; built for you, with the correct ancillaries, and the sensible opitons off the kirkham build page, IMO you would need a budget IRO 80,000 sterling; but go on the Kirkham website and you can build the price in US$ on line, but youll still need to build it source a shed load of period looking parts and then a 427SO and top loader (try southern automotive, he has the biggest stock of 427 so's and toploaders anywhere) and then the price of somebody building it for you.

Personally Id rather buy an 90's era Brian Angliss built AC mark IV and set a good budget to make it look more period inside and uncork/replace the engine, but maybe Im tight?

I've just sold a Hawk 289 LeMans, and bought a used Crendon around your budget. If you go on the Crendon pricelist, 34k will build you a complete car less engine and box.

MKIV AC's go for late 30's to early 40's when they occasionally come up for sale, and ironically, Crendons secondhand rare than AC MKIV's as John Kerr has only built 46 or so to date (that's kits not finished cars).

dave
24-07-07, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the plug Wilf.

Rhodesia.
Welcome to the forum.
All I can add is "Ditto" to all the above.
Good luck in your search.
Dave.

rhodesia
24-07-07, 11:53 PM
Thanks, Folks - for giving me the facts as well as giving me some options.
I will have a look at the Crendon kits.

RichDyne
25-07-07, 01:23 AM
saw something in one of the magazines that Hawk are offering aluminium bodies to fit other kits!!! Built in their ex Mig factory in Poland and for sale in the UK for around 10'000 I think.

Maybe a Dax De Dion built by Dave Brookes with one of these bodies fitted could hit the spot... Not sure if you need that kind of headache tho Dave.

Maybe a premium offering worth developing here ;-)

Just wish I had that kind of money to try it out.

rhodesia
25-07-07, 07:26 AM
Thanks Rich, yes I came accross that too. If I were to go down that route I would then need to choose the decent chassis, Hmm Dax or GD ??

rhodesia
25-07-07, 07:27 AM
has anyone got links to the Crendon website?

wilf
25-07-07, 08:07 AM
No website - 'phone John Kerr (pronounced "car") on 01296 651985.

John is the old fashioned type - not web savvy, but he sure does know a lot about Cobras.

Here's a pic of my Crendon:

taurus
25-07-07, 09:51 AM
As far as I know there isn't one. Give John Kerr a phone call or go and visit him, you'll be very impressed.
Peter.

oops sorry wilf didn't see your reply top of second page.

crendonman
25-07-07, 11:28 AM
has anyone got links to the Crendon website?

John Kerr doesn't need one!!

Just lets his cars do the talking for him!!

IMHO (of course!)

Good Luck with wharever you decide upon!

Cheers

David

dave
25-07-07, 07:32 PM
John Kerr doesn't need one!!

He might if potential customers from (Say) Rhodesia!!! are interested.

dingocooke
25-07-07, 09:46 PM
Here you go, be careful....

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/11890

TonyD
25-07-07, 09:56 PM
Here you go, be careful....

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/11890

From the guys email address it looks like one thats been spirited out of the Polish ex Mig factory while the nightwatchman turned a blind eye........Anyone remember the Johnny cash song about a car being built the same way?

Cheers,
Tony

Murph482
13-08-10, 01:17 PM
Hi just to say I have a hawk 427 Kirkham and you won't even get the the body/chasis and running gear for 35,000, to build a good original car doing every thing youself, including painting or polishing the body you would be talking the best part of 70,000 and that's with a 427 motor and all the original parts for a good example so you could get fia papers for it, but don't forget fully built the car is worth 90,000 to 100,000 so it's good to no that if your car is sitting in the garage it's still worth at lease 20,000 more than it cost you and that why I chose the car in the first place not to say there is nothing wrong with some of the kits avialable, also try db they build nice daxes that would be in your budget. Good luck in what you chose don't rush it and make sure you do your home work cause there are dozens of hidden costs in all these kits be aware of what you r getting for your money, cheers Mick.

wilf
13-08-10, 01:28 PM
Hi Murph, and welcome.

Just checking that you know you are replying to a three year old thread.............;)

FatBoy
13-08-10, 02:53 PM
Whoohoo...I'm no longer on my own. :D

Welcome Murph,
You raise an interesting point about FIA papers. As the 427 Cobra was never homologated by the FIA, does anyone know if that effects the possibility of getting FIA HTP papers for a "replica"?

Having said that, you certainly wouldn't get FIA papers on a Kirkham with their aluminium suspension and having original style suspension with original Girling style brakes would increase the cost to well over your suggested 70K. I think you're probably looking at the top side of 80K for a car with the aluminium suspension by the time you get it here and the original style suspension is around 10k extra.

Whereabouts are you in the UK?

Paul

dave
13-08-10, 02:54 PM
Hi Mick.
Ditto to Wilf's post.;)
And thanks for the plug.:D:D:D

427jlc
14-08-10, 09:47 AM
sorry guys but have none of you not noticed this new addition to the internet???

see this amazing link below:

Home : Crendon Replicas (http://www.crendonreplicas.com/)

ta Lee

FatBoy
14-08-10, 01:09 PM
sorry guys but have none of you not noticed this new addition to the internet???

see this amazing link below:

Home : Crendon Replicas (http://www.crendonreplicas.com/)

ta Lee

Where have you been for the last four months? ;):)

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/37606-crendon-website.html

Murph482
14-08-10, 03:24 PM
Hi there lads just to say I will have all original suspension, uprights,and girling brakes not the aluminum Kirkham package and it will not come to 10,000 where I have sauced it from, also I heard that a Kirkham won at le mon and it was suspected of having a stroker engine in it?

dinosoar
14-08-10, 08:11 PM
I have no facts to back this up but I was under the impression that when Jean Todt took over the presidency of the FIA one of the first rules he changed was the FIA technical passport for replica vehicles that enabled them to qualify for historic racing.

As I say, only hear say but that is what I thought.

Andy

slogger
14-08-10, 09:50 PM
Where have you been for the last four months? ;):)

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/37606-crendon-website.html

Not to mention that the thread is 3 years old, as Wilf has already pointed out. John didn't have a site then.:D

KevinW
29-09-10, 03:20 PM
Hi there lads just to say I will have all original suspension, uprights,and girling brakes not the aluminum Kirkham package and it will not come to 10,000 where I have sauced it from, also I heard that a Kirkham won at le mon and it was suspected of having a stroker engine in it?

.. so no donor....?
are you going to spill the beans and tell us more..?