PDA

View Full Version : Ford 427 side oiler a rare piece of A/C Cobra history untombed

fastco
26-07-07, 09:12 PM
Hello...here cross the pond 99.9% of the Cobra owners start to droole when the famous Ford 427 side oiler is mentioned in a conversation.If i had a dime for everyone i've met that said i've got one of those 427 side oilers or i know where there are a couple in a old barn just outside of town= 99.9% BS...i'd be a retired and very rich fellow.
Anyway met a old fellow the other day... he said hey whats that engine going in ? I replied an AC Cobra replica kit car for a fellow in Germany.. Hummm he scatched his chin a Chevy in a Cobra....why? he asked.
Well most Europe Cobra kits are designed for a Chevy or Rover V8 / Buick 215 ally engine..thats how it is.
Dam he said the boys here would surely shake there heads @ a Cobra meet if a Chevy powered Cobra showed up!
Yes indeed i said.... but the real kits here in the USA have 427 S/O & 428 CJ & SCJ in them & dam there get'n rare as hens teeth to find..so lots of guys going SBF & or 460 BB Fords
Yep he said not bad but you cannot beat a good O'll side oiler..high rev'n monster in a Cobra...i know i used to own one years ago...
Wow i said that had to be a ton O fun to drive...yep he said but sadly i wrecked the car....How i said ..well i did 2 major things wrong the day i wrecked her 1st it was a damp rainy day and should have left her parked 2nd i stopped @ a bar to meet a few buddies for a few pints of wobbley pops...and you guessed it..when i left the bar i had a few pints to many & was in a beer induced go fast mentality....very bad idea but seemed smack on @ the time.. beer muscles where flex'n and my right foot was a twitch'n and a had a burn'n need for a speed fix....off i went spin'n the skins in all gears....next thing a bad curve..ooooooooops then a big bang and next i awoke in a hospital bed....all the rest a blank in between... dam i was peeved.
Never drank and drove again after that wake up call he said...
Wow i said lucky you lived through that crash.... dam shame anything left of the Cobra... not much he said..only thing left was my 427 side oiler with Mooneyham intake and my beloved 2X4bbl carbs atop the beast...still got her in my garage @ home...guess i'll never see hear run again.....
Did i just hear him right or was i hear'n things ...again...Hey i'd like to see the beast not seen a original in a few years i said... why yes he said no problem drop in and have a look shes all there and runs good...when i pulled her ...i'll never use her again know anyone who would?....ahhh well yes is she for sale then?

Yep i suppose...off we went .. brought my chin wipes just in case he was'nt BS'n me...got there he cracked the shop door...bata boom i was shocked there she was 1 Ford 427 S/O complete....i was speachless for 1 min..ha
So hey you never know there's always that .1% guy that comes along and is'nt pull'n your leg....So there 's a 427 S/O up for sale.... if any you lads looking for a rare A/C Cobra engine...i 'm guess'n shes an easy 500+ BHP 427 S/O that revs 7000+ RPM all day long... Cheers! Dr,Dee

Andy S
26-07-07, 09:21 PM
Dear moderators,
I know this guy on occasion gives advise, but how many more blatant adverts are we going to get ????????

dingocooke
26-07-07, 09:29 PM
In fairness to the guy, he pays for a banner, and the classifieds dont work, and he was more than helpful to me when I was asking stupid spark plug questions; sohow muxh is it Doc Dee?? Pics??

P.S-What a great story..
P.P.S-Not all us heathens have GM blocks under't bonnet tha knows (translation there are some of us with fords under the hood..)

wilf
26-07-07, 09:55 PM
I'd rather have a cammer...........:p

fastco
26-07-07, 10:01 PM
Dear moderators,
I know this guy on occasion gives advise, but how many more blatant adverts are we going to get ????????

Hello it is a story...if i wanted to adveritze that this engine was for sale..i'd simply place an add in ad form....and shag the dam story......See form heading SNAKE WATCH...is you clue here sir.
Eg:The cobra version of Watchdog, and forum to keep us, the customer updated on anything new from the manufacturers.
Cheers! DrDee

fastco
26-07-07, 10:20 PM
I'd rather have a cammer...........:p

Hello Wilf....me too.... story # 2 met a guy outside Darlingiton Speedway USA years back.. he was on Petty's race team..and the Ford NASCAR race team,.....as i stood outside l@@k'n @ the track it was closed dam anyway.. an old fellow yells hey....you like race'n?...but do you like Fords....ahh hell yes ii said.
Come on over and i show you some real Ford NASCAR HP... dam Chevys have take'n over race'n these days......but not in my day..
He brought me into his garage cross from the track where he lived,the walls were splattered with news clips and pics of Buddy Baker Al Parsons , Smokey Yunick , Anzo ,Richard Petty & race trophys and NASCAR meomrabelia ect ect.... In the corner of his shop where 2 crates..we.walked over...he says bet you dont have a clue what these engines are,....pops the lids... my eyes bugged out'a my head there in the crates were 2 NASCAR FORD SOHC 427 engines / cammer motors/ chain driven overhead cam engines , known cross the pond as Ford shot gun engines..... 1 single 4 barrel carb'd and other 1 was a 2X4 barrel car'd engine in there crates with FORD hand written dyno sheets stapled to the lid bottoms.... 1 550 BHP 2X4bbl 620 BHP.... my knees buckeled,,,,what the hell where did you get these?...as i wiped my chin and eyes & pic'd myself up off the floor.
Fellow says the rules changed in mid late 60's and NASCAR banned the Ford 427 SOHC engines and the Hemi 427....so there were no good to race'n any more so i draged them cross the street from the track and stuck them im my garage years ago....know anyone who wants to buy e'm?
Just another story....again!
Cheers! Dr,Dee
PS: This also in not an ad..... i did not have a spare $50,000 USD in my back pocket that day or i would have bought both of them ........dam! wish i did.

fastco
26-07-07, 10:29 PM
In fairness to the guy, he pays for a banner, and the classifieds dont work, and he was more than helpful to me when I was asking stupid spark plug questions; sohow muxh is it Doc Dee?? Pics??

P.S-What a great story..
P.P.S-Not all us heathens have GM blocks under't bonnet tha knows (translation there are some of us with fords under the hood..)

Thanks....the story not over yet... i got'a go back and have a real close look @ her...crack the pan , check for $ / money sign on 427 crank journal = right one/ forged by Ford and Lemans rods....ect......he says she runs...will see.
Cheers! Dr,Dee
PS.. i Love Chevy & Mopars too.... don't shot me! ha ha

tonym
26-07-07, 10:32 PM
I'd rather have a waitress...........:p

It's ok Wilf, corrected it for you :p

wilf
27-07-07, 08:50 AM
Hmmmmmmmm - I think you might be right Tone! :p

At least I can turn my head to look.;)

runt
28-07-07, 02:41 PM
I don't consider this blatant advertising, and I shouldn't think there would ever be a shortage of customers for these rare and legendary engines; as said, any info is fascinating, and.. how much?! A pic would be cool Doctor!

Paul/runt.:)

wilf
28-07-07, 08:31 PM
Runt - you have PM.