PDA

View Full Version : Carpets & Seats

Iain
24-09-07, 11:04 PM
Been on a pretty good roll recently. Progress is slow and steady but all positive. The carpets are now in (the cockpit anyway) and I've even managed to get a seat fitted tonight too.

It's off to the DVLA for inspection on Friday (and yes, that is before the SVA)

One worrying point is that the "jobs to do" list does actully appear to be getting smaller! :shock:

Clive
24-09-07, 11:46 PM
Hi Iain,
It's looking great. Good luck with the DVLA on Friday. You'll need to alter the gear lever for SVA though!

kevchard
25-09-07, 07:17 AM
Hi Iain
Quality looking job on the carpets. On the drivers side footwell (on the inside edge of the bodyshell side), i tapered the vertical panel so as to allow for more room around the throttle pedal.
Looking very good. How did you manage to get to DVLA before SVA? When i phoned up DVLA they were adamant that is not a feasible thing to do.
Good luck.
Cheers
Kevin

Toddy
25-09-07, 07:25 AM
Are the top seat belt mounts OK ?

Iain
25-09-07, 07:41 AM
With regard to the gear stick. I must admit I hadn't even thought about that as being a problem for SVA. I take it that it is the fake lifter for the reverse gear that is at fault there... Not sure what easy fix that will be at the moment... Bugger! :(

I asked Paul Jepson to arrange my paperwork for me (and well worth it too). The SVA application is in the post today so we'll see how that goes! :shock:

As for the top seat belt mounts, GD do theirs that way so I can't see why there should be a problem. :rolleyes:

Cheers...

ldtopham
25-09-07, 08:32 AM
Looking good Ian. The top mounts although similar to a GD require triangulation ie a third leg mounting from the top centre down to the chassis. I think the triangulation is requested in the SVA notes somewhere.

ldtopham
25-09-07, 08:34 AM
Regrading the gear lever, I made a lifter style lever too but made a plain one for the test without the lift HTH.

tonym
25-09-07, 09:43 AM
looks good Iain, amazing how some carpets can transform the car from when we saw it a few days ago :D

Iain
25-09-07, 09:58 AM
Looking good Ian. The top mounts although similar to a GD require triangulation ie a third leg mounting from the top centre down to the chassis. I think the triangulation is requested in the SVA notes somewhere.

I've just had a look through the SVA manual I have and I couldn't find anything regarding the triangulation of the upper mounts. If you have any further info on this or maybe you could point me in the direction of the section of the manual that you found this in it would be helpful. This may be a serious issue for me to resolve if this is true...

Cheers...

dingocooke
25-09-07, 10:53 AM
If the gear lever is a Europa/Hawk/Finish line one (all made by the same manufacturer, just different prices LOL) you can undo the gear knob, and perr down the hole in the threaded top there is a screw, undo that, and you can wiggle out the sharp lock out lever and spring, pop in a bag and alls well, screw the knob back on get it sva'd then put it back in.

Purple AK
25-09-07, 03:47 PM
I've just had a look through the SVA manual I have and I couldn't find anything regarding the triangulation of the upper mounts. If you have any further info on this or maybe you could point me in the direction of the section of the manual that you found this in it would be helpful. This may be a serious issue for me to resolve if this is true...

Cheers...
Iain. Sorry Mate :(
http://www.rootpeg.net/SVAMarch2004.pdf Standard Requirements, Section 5, Annex 1, Page 3.
"Upper anchorage must be adequately braced from near the anchorage to strong areas of the chassis"

Deck
25-09-07, 07:27 PM
Nice work Iain! It's looking great! You really must be putting in the hours...

Would be nice to be able to view the pics without having to log in each time but that's me and computers for you!

Was there a problem with using the upper seatbelt mounting points fitted to the chassis? I was planning to use them...

That SVA discription sound pretty loose. Can you strongly secure the hoops to the chassis and point to those bolts!?

Did you do what Howard did and make up internal fibreglass panels for the door areas?
Keep up the good work and best of luck with the authorities!
Cheers
Dec

ldtopham
25-09-07, 08:27 PM
Iain, extracted from the draft manual and the closest I could find to the requirements that may affect you. Annex 1 of Section 5. I have highlighted in bold what I would suspect to b cause for concern. I am no authority on this just my opinion.

Steel Chassis With Anchorages on Roll
Cage (take this as your steel roll hoop mounted to the chassis).

Fig. 4
Sould be a picture here see manual as I don't know how to paste the pic!

Shaded Areas Show
Important Structure.
Pay Particular
Attention to Joints
(Examples Circled).

What to look for:

Triangulation and bracing which will provide
strength and spread the loads effectively into
the chassis.
The joint where the roll cage joins the chassis
and the chassis itself must be sufficiently
strong to withstand the loads from the
anchorages.
Upper anchorage must be adequately braced
from near the anchorage to strong areas of
the chassis.
Threaded seatbelt anchorage fastening should
be welded into tubes or onto plates of
sufficient thickness.
Bolted joints joining the cage to the chassis
and parts of the cage to each other should be
of sufficient strength.

Note:

For guidance roll cages should ideally be
manufactured of CDS steel tube dia 45mm x
2.5mm wall thickness OR dia 50mm x 2.0mm
wall thickness. Bend radii should exceed 3 times
the tube diameter. Where tubes are ovalised
during bending, the ratio d/D should not be less
than 0.9 (d=small diameter, D=larger diameter).

Cause for concern:
Roll cage manufactured using aluminium.
Poor bolted joints, or joints that could
separate due to loads in anchorages.
Insufficient bracing or bracing to upper
anchorage too low.
Roll cage material cracked or badly creased.
Cage-to-chassis mounting plates of smaller
thickness than cage wall thickness.
Cage not attached to chassis, or insufficient
joint strength.

You may be able to get it thorugh the SVA but I would be surprised if they didn't pick up on it. From a point of safety I would seriously think of adding triangulation.

Sorry if it's not what you need to hear at this stage but without proper testing I would hate to think that the hoop could fold forwards/ break its mounts in the event of an accident.

Best of luck.

kevchard
26-09-07, 08:46 AM
Hi Iain
At Nottingham they were questioning as to whether our top mount was suitable ( i made a frame with an nut welded into it below the rear deck), in the end afte lots of thought he let it go. We do not have any rear triangulation, just the original welded upright. Does your roll hoop have any movement if you pull on it?
The best thing to do is phone SVA as they are nice friendly people. Before panicing (like i normally do), contact SVA for their experience.
Cheers
Kevin

Iain
26-09-07, 09:06 AM
I have to take my car to the SVA test centre in Watnall (Nottingham) this coming Friday as that is where the DVLA will be inspecting my car (re: age related plate stuff). I am going to see if I can ask the question to the examiner while I'm there and see what he says.

At this point the one and only solution is to rip out the boot inner and try to fabricate a brace that goes over the fuel tank. Then try to make a mount off the brace so that I can triangulate the Roll hoop to it. I'm not sure how easy (or even if it's possible) to do but other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Deck
26-09-07, 07:02 PM
Iain
Had another one of my foolish thoughts...

Why don't you call your manufacturer and ask them how they do it and if they can make something nice to fix it for you?

Ok Seriously, foolish thought...
Use a piece of flat bar say 50 x 5mm, chromed of course, bolted onto the tunnel wall near the pasenger seat and bolted through the hoop near or at the belt anchor, triangulating from the front?

Could be a easy SVA fix? or maybe not...

Any tips on the interior sill panelling prior laying down that lovely carpet? B)
Cheers
Dec

Iain
26-09-07, 09:18 PM
Any tips on the interior sill panelling prior laying down that lovely carpet?

Hi Dec,

I made up my panelling myself. I used a flat surface and some furniture polish (that contains wax - for a release agent) and then layered up fibreglass to meet my needs. I also made the shaped piece to go round the door hinges but that was made from a cardboard frame, covered in brown packing tape (colour is not important ;)) and then the polish again.

There are two images to show the drivers side before I fibreglassed the whole lot in and there are three images to show the passenger side after I fibreglassed the whole lot in.

Where the seatbelt anchor is on the outside of the car, you need to keep that area free from fibreglass otherwise the seatbelt will not fit.

Hope this helps!

Iain
28-09-07, 04:01 PM
Update on the Roll bar issue

I had my car inspected today by the DVLA (for the registration etc.) at the Watnall SVA test centre. While I was there I managed to ask the question regarding the seatbelt mountings to an actual SVA test examiner. This guy was extremely helpful and managed to put my mind at ease. I took some photos with me of the mounting of the Roll hoops and he gave them a good look over. He inspected the top mounting and confirmed that the boss I had used to screw my harness eyebolt into was solid throughout the rollbar and that it was welded both sides which it was. He then said that I would not have a problem with the SVA. :mrgreen:

He then (completely free of charge) gave the car the quick once over on the outside and in the cockpit and gave me a few pointers that would otherwise have caused me problems during the SVA. I cannot emphasise how helpful this guy was. I am now much more relaxed about taking my car for the SVA.

I will be getting my age related plate which means that the plate I have on retention will go straight onto the car after the SVA.

All in all... today was a good day! :mrgreen:

Thanks Tinka for coming along for the moral support too! :cool:

Purple AK
28-09-07, 04:28 PM
Good News Iain :grin: Do I sense a beer or two going down tonight?? ;)

Iain
28-09-07, 04:31 PM
Good News Iain :grin: Do I sense a beer or two going down tonight?? ;)

Oh Yes!

I have a distinct feeling that a few beers may be going down tonight.... :cool:

Cheers Chris!

dingocooke
28-09-07, 04:45 PM
Nice one Iain; see us Nottm lads are alright as long as were not armed...

ldtopham
28-09-07, 04:48 PM
Excellent news Iain. All the best for your SVA:wink:

kevchard
28-09-07, 06:06 PM
Hi Iain
Good news that you have not got to make major mods to your belt mounts.
Was the examiner called Martin? He was the one we had, and he couldn't have been any more helpfull.
Good luck on the big day.
Cheers
Kevin

Deck
28-09-07, 07:10 PM
Good result there Iain. I'm glad there's no cutting and shutting required although judging by those photos you wouldn't be too challenged in that department. Nice work! and thanks for posting them.

Have you glassed up the gap at the front of the footwells, between them and the body, in the engine bay too? Can or does water (spray) get into the channel from the front?

Did you think about filling the cavity with foam insulation or anything or is that pointless?

I think my chassis is going to need a rub down and another coat of paint before I get into this bit!! If only that was all that needed doing....

Good luck with the rest of it and keep us posted on the final finishings.
Cheers
Dec

Iain
29-09-07, 08:25 AM
Good result there Iain. I'm glad there's no cutting and shutting required although judging by those photos you wouldn't be too challenged in that department. Nice work! and thanks for posting them.

Have you glassed up the gap at the front of the footwells, between them and the body, in the engine bay too? Can or does water (spray) get into the channel from the front?

Did you think about filling the cavity with foam insulation or anything or is that pointless?

I think my chassis is going to need a rub down and another coat of paint before I get into this bit!! If only that was all that needed doing....

Good luck with the rest of it and keep us posted on the final finishings.
Cheers
Dec

Dec, I have not glassed up the front of the footwells. I don't think that much water would get up there, certainly in my case anyway but I'll soon find out I guess (good old British weather!)

I had thought about gap filling with foam but in the end I thought that the trouble doing it was more than the benefit gained from doing it (probably laziness on my part!). There is still an option for me to do that at a later stage I needs be. The thing to watch out for is that if moisture can get into that area then it will have an effect on the foam.... probably not a good one either!

Cheers...

steamyrotter
29-09-07, 12:26 PM
Iain

Have you had to change the door catches?

Didn't think the type in the original photos were compliant as they don't (well the set that came with mine) have the intermediate latching point?
ie antiburst malarkey.

Other than that looking excellent as would be expected from your work.

Come on then, when's the SVA.

cheers

Iain
30-09-07, 08:46 AM
Hi,

I haven't had to change the door catches no. I bought my door locks from S&J Motors and they came with the double latch so I should be okay on that issue.

However, one thing he did pick up on was the boot lock. Due to me electing not to have a rear bumper the boot lock is the thing that sticks out the most on the back of the car. This lock is supplied by S&J Motors as part of an SVA compliant lock kit (I think) but I have been told that the boot lock is not SVA compliant. His recommendation was for me to (his words) "borrow" a compliant one for the test and I should be okay. I need to speak with S&J Motors about this issue so I'll let you know how I get on with this.

In the meantime, if anyone has a definite SVA friendly boot lock that they would be willing to loan me for the test it would be appreciated.

As for the SVA test itself, I am hoping it will be mid to late October. The paperwork has gone off and I'm waiting for my date. If I hear nothing by Wednesday I'll give the test centre at Watnall a ring to see what the situation is.

Cheers...