PDA

View Full Version : Tonneau/hood cover-snaps/fasteners

Superarnie Mk2
07-10-07, 09:16 PM
Hi again, sorry to mither!!

The cobra I have doesn't have a build manual of any description so I am working a bit blind.

I notice on many Cobras they are fitted with the snap fasteners around the 'cockpit' to help secure the tonneau/hood.
Can someone tell me the authentically correct sized ones to use which would be SVA compliant.

Many thanks

Superarnie

Purple AK
07-10-07, 09:22 PM
Hi Arnie.
The hood/tonneau fasteners are either "Lift the Dot" or "Tennex" neither of which are SVA compliant. So hood fitting is a job best left till after sva ;)

Superarnie Mk2
07-10-07, 09:29 PM
Hi Chris thanks for your response.

The body of my car is already drilled to recieve these fasteners, so I'm not sure I could go to SVA with all those holes in my body work.

Any advice?

Cheers

Gary

robinj66
07-10-07, 09:33 PM
Fill the holes with clear silicone etc until after the SVA when you can prise it out and fit your nasty "sharp" :roll: fixtures

Clive
07-10-07, 09:34 PM
Hi Garry, Chris is right, leave them off until after SVA. The holes shouldn't pose any problem.

Purple AK
07-10-07, 09:34 PM
Hi Chris thanks for your response.

The body of my car is already drilled to recieve these fasteners, so I'm not sure I could go to SVA with all those holes in my body work.

Any advice?

Cheers

Gary
Sorry! Gary.
Frankly the SVA Inspector shouldn't be worried about a few holes (it's not on his list) But, If you wanted to tidy it up for the test you could always pop some 4mm domed cap head bolts in the holes as a temp measure ;)

Clive
07-10-07, 09:50 PM
Fill the holes with clear silicone etc until after the SVA when you can prise it out and fit your nasty "sharp" :roll: fixtures

:shock: Don't put silicone near your car if it hasn't been painted!

Superarnie Mk2
07-10-07, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. If I do end up getting my car painted prior to SVA, can anyone tell me the correct size the holes should be, just so I don't need to make them bigger after the paint job. They may already be the correct size but I could do with knowing just in case.

Many thanks
Gary

Purple AK
07-10-07, 10:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. If I do end up getting my car painted prior to SVA, can anyone tell me the correct size the holes should be, just so I don't need to make them bigger after the paint job. They may already be the correct size but I could do with knowing just in case.

Many thanks
Gary
Gary. Best if can to use the bolt through type as opposed the screw tread type. Woolies give them as 2BA which is 5mm (I Think)

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-52-hood-fasteners.aspx

Also a good idea to slightly countersink the gelcoat to avoid star cracking at a later date ;)

KevinW
07-10-07, 10:51 PM
:shock: Don't put silicone near your car if it hasn't been painted!

Clive - why not?
Kevin

btw, I arrived late for my sva test, flapping, having planned to unscrew all the tonneau fastners (the anorak-style popper type), but got called in the the sva test lane immediately upon arrival. Never unscrewed them, inspector never complained (on that particular issue anyway).

Clive
07-10-07, 11:04 PM
Clive - why not?
Kevin

Paint will not take to silicone. The silicone can be absorbed into the surface to be painted and can cause the paint to react. Best to avoid all types of silicone including WD-40, Mr Sheen/Pledge type polishes etc. on any surface thay is likely to be painted.

Purple AK
07-10-07, 11:11 PM
Paint will not take to silicone. The silicone can be absorbed into the surface to be painted and can cause the paint to react. Best to avoid all types of silicone including WD-40, Mr Sheen/Pledge type polishes etc. on any surface thay is likely to be painted.
That includes Dot5 silicon brake fluid :( It mists around the area of the master cylinder!!!!!!!!!!!!

KevinW
07-10-07, 11:25 PM

.....oops!

Sparticus
07-10-07, 11:47 PM
can you not place rubber grommets over the top of the fastners or is the only option to leave them off for SVA?

Clive
07-10-07, 11:54 PM
can you not place rubber grommets over the top of the fastners or is the only option to leave them off for SVA?
I guess you can, but I didn't fit any trim, carpets, hood, tonneau or paint until after SVA. That way I didn't have to worry about cutting out the holes for the Lucas 542 rear lights and nudge bars etc.