PDA

View Full Version : I've Broken the Law!

Simon R
16-10-07, 05:31 PM
Inadvertantly I must add.

Now I didn't know this, most of you probably do, but for those that don't a reminder.

SORN is not transferable. So when I got my Jag XXXX XXX XXX XXX the Car was allready on SORN - I assumed wrongly that this would transfer to the new owner.

After waiting for a reminder that didn't come I checked my vehicle status on the DVLA site and found it to be unlicenced.

I read the notes and realised my mistake - I then registered SORN on the website (you can't backdate it!) and was greeted by a message that the continuous licencing squad would be contacting me.

Oh well - waiting for a knock at the door!! at least I've got the photographic evidence to show it was in bits in my garage and not being driven on the road!

You'd have thought they could have made it clearer? lso you would have thought they would have checked up in the last 12 months that is neither been licenced or on SORN?

Simon.

Dutch Paul
16-10-07, 05:41 PM
Inadvertantly I must add.

Now I didn't know this, most of you probably do, but for those that don't a reminder.

SORN is not transferable. So when I got my Jag Font and Rear end the Car was allready on SORN - I assumed wrongly that this would transfer to the new owner.

After waiting for a reminder that didn't come I checked my vehicle status on the DVLA site and found it to be unlicenced.

I read the notes and realised my mistake - I then registered SORN on the website (you can't backdate it!) and was greeted by a message that the continuous licencing squad would be contacting me.

Oh well - waiting for a knock at the door!! at least I've got the photographic evidence to show it was in bits in my garage and not being driven on the road!

You'd have thought they could have made it clearer? lso you would have thought they would have checked up in the last 12 months that is neither been licenced or on SORN?

Simon.

Oops :(

Don`t forget to tell them the photo was taken after YOU removed the parts from the car. I`m sure you just mis-typed, but if I read your post correctly it reads that you bought parts with a logbook(which isn`t entirely legal) - I`m sure you meant to say you bought the complete car with the V5 and then stripped the donor parts. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

craggle
16-10-07, 06:22 PM
I'd be surprised if you hear anything from them.

I brought a Land Rover that was last used in 1988 and a few years ago I thought it might be an idea to put it on Sorn about 15 years after it was last used. I got the same message but never heard anything from them.

Craig.

Simon R
16-10-07, 06:23 PM
Oops :(

Don`t forget to tell them the photo was taken after YOU removed the parts from the car. I`m sure you just mis-typed, but if I read your post correctly it reads that you bought parts with a logbook(which isn`t entirely legal) - I`m sure you meant to say you bought the complete car with the V5 and then stripped the donor parts. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Paul,

I indeed forgot to mention that very point. Sorry if I misled you.:rolleyes: It is indeed unfortunate that I didn't buy a camera until after I had stripped it.

Simon

Dutch Paul
16-10-07, 06:32 PM
I'd be surprised if you hear anything from them.

I brought a Land Rover that was last used in 1988 and a few years ago I thought it might be an idea to put it on Sorn about 15 years after it was last used. I got the same message but never heard anything from them.

Craig.

Craig

I believe there was a cut-off date(1998 rings a bell???) regarding SORN.
Anything that hasn`t been taxed since the cut-off date doesn`t need SORNing(sp?)
My donor Jag seems (according to the FSH!!!!) to have been used up until 1997. I SORN it online every May to be safe - but have never received any acknowledgement/reminders etc from DVLA.
Of course I could be wrong - usually am. :(

bitsilly
16-10-07, 06:35 PM
The one I bought had been off the road since before sorn was invented and so wasn't on sorn. I applied when ownership passed to me. They never contacted me. Perhaps they spent the money catching the pushers hanging around primary schools, stranger things have happened!

simon
16-10-07, 06:49 PM
Just recieved an 80 "fine" this morning for not renewing my sorn notice in July. Bast*rds

dingocooke
16-10-07, 06:57 PM
Craig

I believe there was a cut-off date(1998 rings a bell???) regarding SORN.
Anything that hasn`t been taxed since the cut-off date doesn`t need SORNing(sp?)
My donor Jag seems (according to the FSH!!!!) to have been used up until 1997. I SORN it online every May to be safe - but have never received any acknowledgement/reminders etc from DVLA.
Of course I could be wrong - usually am. :(

Paul you are Correct on all points....
I forgot to re tax my RAM when it was in bits while I was getting rid of the McLeaky, no reminder, then a failure to SORN fine; b4stards...I rang up and explained my posotion but I was treated as though I was serial killer, so I told em to forget it and paid up, tossers...

cobrascim
17-10-07, 11:51 PM
I wonder how long you get then?
I had my logbook and registered in my name a month or so before my SVA. Didn't hear anything about SORN and to be honest never thought about it. Car now on the road and new cobra logbook arrived yesterday.
I had this problem a few years back when I bought a spare Scimitar that was put off the road before SORN came in. I got a really shirkey letter back when I sent the logbook to change ownership to me. It stated that they wanted to know when it was last taxed etc and I would not get a new logbook until it was all squared up. Phoned and didn't get much help or sympathy but a new logbook arrived the next day anyway. Right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing? I have the logbook in my name and still haven't declared it SORN since getting it. My understanding is if it has never been on the road (ie taxed)since sorn came in you dont have to decalre it.
John.

Nick S
18-10-07, 04:59 AM
Interesting reading above, as I was going to pose this question last night. The RFL on mine runs out at the end of November 07 and I don't intend to renew it until April 08.

I have never had any experience with SORN, can anybody advise what I have to do? Does it cost and if so would I be better off just buying 6-months tax to see me through?

Nick

Simon R
18-10-07, 06:01 AM
Interesting reading above, as I was going to pose this question last night. The RFL on mine runs out at the end of November 07 and I don't intend to renew it until April 08.

I have never had any experience with SORN, can anybody advise what I have to do? Does it cost and if so would I be better off just buying 6-months tax to see me through?

Nick

Nick,

Ineresting question - I don't see any point in wasting your money. You can apply for SORN online all you will need is some info off your V5 and two minutes of your time. I can't see a problem providing it is not kept (or driven) on a public road between Nov and Apr.

That'll be two free tnks of fuel next year!

Cheers

tonym
18-10-07, 08:55 AM

Nick

So what happens when I suggest a blast on a clear December day? Or January, February even March???? If you put your car on SORN over the winter period I will come round your house every weekend and sit there revving my engine :-P:-P. It's only a few quid tax it and run it on the dry winter days :cool:

Impulsebooks
18-10-07, 10:48 AM
Craig

I believe there was a cut-off date(1998 rings a bell???)

Yes, it is 1998. I have SORN on my Cob right now, but it will be coming off this week if it passes the MOT :p

All you need to know about SORN:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_069727

dingocooke
18-10-07, 11:59 AM
I keep my cobra fully insured and road legal through the year, my bikes too, but they only go out if theres no salt on the roads as the damage is just too much for me. But when you get a nice crisp winters day after some good hard rain has washed the salt away, its hard to beat, and a perfect pick me up to ease the winter blues that may get you down.

RobinH
18-10-07, 06:17 PM
Just recieved an 80 "fine" this morning for not renewing my sorn notice in July. Bast*rds

Simon,

Ring them up / write a letter etc, The first year I had my Jag in 'limbo spare parts land' they did not send me a renewal notice for the SORN and so eventaully agreed to drop the fine.

Robin

Nick S
18-10-07, 06:48 PM
So what happens when I suggest a blast on a clear December day? Or January, February even March???? If you put your car on SORN over the winter period I will come round your house every weekend and sit there revving my engine :-P:-P. It's only a few quid tax it and run it on the dry winter days :cool:

I knew you would broadside me with that. I was thinking along those lines today.

Oh I am rubbish at decisions.................. any one got a coin, I've used mine buying sender units!!!!!!!!!!!!!