PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Meet

Bob
21-08-01, 08:24 AM
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/User_files/Bob/3b820c8e7ebcac5c.jpg
Just aword to say thanks to all those who braved the orrible weather on sunday I think I counted 35 cars to make it an Enjoyable is somewhat soggy day. Special thans to Thunder Road Cars, Hawk cars AK sports cars for making the effort and a extRa special thanks to Graham Dorrel and Val for the time and effort they put into organising it.
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

daxv8man
21-08-01, 01:04 PM
Thanks BOB and you didn't even need prompting to say thank you.
it was nice to meet those iv'e never met before and to second
Bobs thank you for making it in the awfull weather, without you all
it would have been a disaster.

Graham Dorrell Area Rep ESSEX/ HERTS/ N/LONDON.

At the moment i'm trying to organise a meet at COVENT GARDEN London
(one for the ladies) if any of you are interested let me know.

imported_admin
21-08-01, 01:30 PM
Hi Graham

Enjoyed Duxford.I would be interested in a meet in Covent Garden.Other half a shopperholic.Keep me informed.Try for a day with no gridlock,bad for water temp.

Steve G.

Bob
21-08-01, 01:31 PM
Always interested never know might even have the Sumo finished by then

David Large
21-08-01, 01:59 PM
I have been waiting to hear about the meet. To my shame I did not go. I am of course the idiot who tried to go on the wrong day (Sunday 12th Aug.) but broke down with a suspected duff coil 20 miles north of Cambridge in the pouring rain.
Tried on Saturday to fix the car so I could come but failed. Only 1500 miles ago I fitted new distributor (with condenser), coil, ballast resistor, HT leads. On Sat. I fitted another new coil but still no go. I have power into the coil, out of the coil, at the points but cannot get an HT spark at all. Distributor cap is ok, points are set right.......just don't know what to do next. There is nothing complicated about this. A bottle of wine is on offer for a good suggestion.
David (must get a diary)Large

imported_admin
21-08-01, 02:24 PM
Dave Large ,

Try the rotor arm I had the same problem , it looked ok but when i put the new one on it worked.

Regards Steve

RigMan
21-08-01, 02:31 PM
I had hoped to get to the Duxford meet for a long time. However, as luck would have it I am working away again. Also, by hearing about the weather, and not having a hood, even if I was at home it might never have happened! Typical of my luck.

With regard to the ignition problem, have you checked the ground cable earthing your engine? Check the strap from the battery as well. I prefer St Emilion but will drink anything!

RigMan:-)

robert
21-08-01, 03:29 PM
>With regard to the ignition problem, have you checked the ground cable
>earthing your engine? Check the strap from the battery as well. I
>prefer St Emilion but will drink anything!

There is a surprise, we had heard as much!!

>
>RigMan:-)

Robert

The Whistler!

imported_admin
21-08-01, 04:08 PM
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/User_files/gruns20/3b8279571825764a.jpg
pic of the winners.Well done all who got there.
Steve G.

David Large
21-08-01, 05:38 PM
>I had hoped to get to the Duxford meet for a long time. However, as
>luck would have it I am working away again. Also, by hearing about the
>weather, and not having a hood, even if I was at home it might never
>have happened! Typical of my luck.
>
>With regard to the ignition problem, have you checked the ground cable
>earthing your engine? Check the strap from the battery as well. I
>prefer St Emilion but will drink anything!
>
>RigMan:-)

Thanks, this is my next port of call, it is flagged up in the Haynes manual, but I have a difficulty understanding how the engine turns over so well if there is an earthing problem? When, years ago I had an earthing problem on a Cooper S it melted the accelerator cable. Despite it being in the Haynes manual the wine offer stands.
David

David Large
21-08-01, 05:45 PM
>Dave Large ,
>
>Try the rotor arm I had the same problem , it looked ok but when i put
>the new one on it worked.
>
>Regards Steve

Thanks, Rotor arm in my new Mallory distributor has only done 1500 miles, looks perfect but have just ordered another. The car was running perfectly, had done 100 miles towards Duxford, then developed a major misfire, like turning the ignition on and off (not just a couple of cylinders failing) and then stopped.
David

David Large
21-08-01, 05:47 PM
>pic of the winners.Well done all who got there.
>Steve G.
Where's all the rain then; it was much worse the week before!
David Large

x( x(

imported_admin
22-08-01, 12:36 PM
Bob
When am I going to be on the TV.Or when will the video be available

Steve G.

robert
22-08-01, 12:55 PM
Graham

Just a quick note to say thanks for a wonderful day out, and the weather wasn't that bad after all.

There are load of images up on John Tisburys site

http://www.hj34.dial.pipex.com/duxford01p.html

And I need to apologise to John for shooting off after the Impreza, however the guy in the impreza didn't want to play, however the guy in the 308GTB on the A45 did, great fun.

Robert

The Whistler!

imported_admin
22-08-01, 10:22 PM
Just like to add our thanks to everybody involved in organising the Duxford meeting, plus thanks to all the other CRC members for the warm welcome that made our journey from East Yorkshire worthwhile and the rain seem insignificant! :-)

Although we had a couple of showers on the way down, we still managed to keep the hoods in the boot (where they belong), the tonneaus kept out most of the rain when parked up while we chatted to others and then wandered round the hangars. Afterwards we had a good drive home in glorious sunshine, looking forward to next year already!

Congratulations to the concourse winners. With prizes like they took home it's surprising there weren't a lot more cars competing for the cash!

Thanks again,

Paul (Ivory Dax - 427 DCV)
Brian (Blue/Silver Dax - SPJ 8F)

Lindsay
24-08-01, 06:07 PM
Just to add my two penny worth, thanks to all involved for a great meeting, if slightly damp. What date are we marking up for next year?

On the other hand, if there is a meet in Covent Garden, where the hell are we going to park the beasts, or were you thinking of taking tintops?

Lindsay

daxv8man
24-08-01, 08:02 PM
Hi Guys
Regarding Covent Garden . there is plenty of space outside the Opera House ,
however i've also other idea's but it's all hush- hush at the moment.Pavarotti has asked to come along ,but we need a crane to get him in-out Of a Cobra. Tin tops ooooooooo no no, watch this space,

Graham:o

David Large
28-08-01, 01:28 PM
Fixed my car :) it turned out to be the condensor. So I know what, I don't know why. Never had a condensor failure before on a car and this one had only done 1500 miles. Is there anything specific that can cause early failure? or is it just pot luck?
David Large (the man with a bag of spare condensors) :-)

PS To avoid the sort of cock up I made over Duxford WHEN IS DONINGTON; I HAVE SEEN TWO DATES PUBLICISED.

PPS Rob I am getting used to the new forum, I think it is fine. Thanks for all your work on this, we should all be grateful.

RigMan
28-08-01, 03:54 PM
Guess I'm gonna remain thirsty!x(

RigMan

David Large
28-08-01, 06:57 PM
>Guess I'm gonna remain thirsty!x(
>
>RigMan

Could be a consolation beer at a suitable occasion
David :9

imported_admin
28-08-01, 09:35 PM
David,

The Donnington show is on the 1st and 2nd of September from 9:30am 'till 5.00pm. If you want to drive your car on the track, make sure you go on the Sunday (check the CRC web site event calendar or Kit Car rags).

Looking forward to the show - see you all there... weather permitting!

Regards,

Paul :-)

P.S. The phone number, if you want to confirm, is 01737 225857.

David Large
29-08-01, 07:36 AM
>David,
>
>The Donnington show is on the 1st and 2nd of September from 9:30am
>'till 5.00pm. If you want to drive your car on the track, make sure
>you go on the Sunday (check the CRC web site event calendar or Kit Car
>rags).
>
>Looking forward to the show - see you all there... weather permitting!
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul :-)
>
>P.S. The phone number, if you want to confirm, is 01737 225857.

Thanks Paul, will try to be there on Sunday, wife, weather and condenser permitting
David :-)

imported_admin
02-09-01, 07:48 PM
Hi,
Enjoyed Duxford, even though my car aint finished.
But just flashed my club membership card and the kind folks at the entrance let me and the missus in for FREE - whoopee! Only managed to look over two of the hangers before closing time though. Same place next year would let me see the rest of the museum.

Kevin