PDA

View Full Version : De Havilland Mosquito Museum day out

BILKO
07-01-08, 06:27 PM
I've recieved this invite from the De Havilland museum and it sounds like it could be a nice day out, if we can get enough people then i'll find out about the photo op with the Mozzie & guided tour, probably looking at going around April/May.
who fancies going ?
.................................................. .......

De Havilland Mosquito Museum Invitation

For any club or group looking for a destination for a run, the De Havilland Mosquito Museum, just off the M25 south of Hatfield is ideal. They can take up to 20 cars comfortably with secure parking, and have a tearoom that will provide a ploughman's lunch or cream teas with prior notice, plus a guided tour of the museum. Or you can bring your own picnics and sit out in the grounds.

The Mosquito was arguably the best aircraft of World War 11, certainly the most versatile. It was a bomber that outran the fastest fighters, so needed no armament. It was a fighter with massive fire-power. It was a ship-buster, with eight rockets giving the equivalent of a broadside from a cruiser. And it was known as the plane that always brought back its crews, with the highest survival rate of any aircraft involved in the conflict. Yet it was made of wood, using monocoque ply-sandwich construction, meaning it could be built by the furniture makers of England, in small workshops scattered round the country, safe from enemy attack.

Planes restored or under restoration include Mosquitoes, plus many other famous De Havilland aircraft, including a Vampire, Venom, Vixen, Doves, a Heron, a Dragon Rapide, the front half of a Trident, the fuselage of a Comet, even guided missiles. If you ask nicely in advance they will even push out a Mozzie for a photo-shoot, or let you run your hands over a Rolls Royce Merlin to see what a 1200hp V12 feels like.
Museum open from
First Sunday of March to last Sunday of October
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 14:00 - 17:30
Sundays and Bank Holidays 10:30 - 17:30
(last entry to museum 16:30)

Admission charges
Adults 5.00
Children / Senior Citizens 3.00
Under 5's FREE
Family Ticket (2 adults + 2 children) 13:00
Facilities for disabled
Free Parking

Directions/location ; deHavilland Heritage Centre (http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/location.html)

For more information please see ; deHavilland Heritage Centre (http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk)
update
just to keep you all up to speed here, I've had a nag with the museum and they are more than happy to push a plane outside so we can have a group picture taken of our cars with a plane, they will even let us take individual pics of our cars with a plane and they dont want a penny for this, they will push the plane out and let us take the pics ABSOLUTELY FREE OF CHARGE , in fact they may even give us a small entry discount for a group booking.
so if you do come along dont forget your camera :)

robinj66
07-01-08, 07:47 PM
ME:cool:

But I want to know what you'll be piloting, Bilko.

andicole0
07-01-08, 08:27 PM
Sounds interesting if the car's ready by then :D

Andi.

BILKO
08-01-08, 10:06 AM
ME:cool:

But I want to know what you'll be piloting, Bilko.to be honest m8 i'm not quite sure what me next set of wheels are gonna be , keep changing me mind between either a Citoen traction, Riley rme or a TVR Chim, i'll just have to wait and see what catches me eye :) .
suppose i should have mentioned in the first post that we already have a few guys penciled in for the museum

purple
beaky
cobman
gummy
johnny cob
kicksy
paul h
emgee
gwak
colin b
peter c
dave p
mgcob
& me

clive a brown
08-01-08, 10:19 AM
count me in - my cousin flew the one in the 633 squadren film

Clive

steve ferguson
08-01-08, 12:18 PM
Car won't be ready, but as only a couple of miles away I will probably pop along and have a good look around finished ones and get some much needed inspiration. Museum is a top place, loads to look at and play with, more of a hands on place, they don't mind you climbing on a few things, not the mosquito's' though:smile:

FatBoy
08-01-08, 05:50 PM
I would certainly love to come along, provided my Kirkham is on the road by then.
My Great Uncle was lost over the North Sea in a Mosquito in a conflict with enemy aircraft during WWII, so I've always something of an affinity with the Mossie.
He flew with 151 Squadron and was lost on the 10th August 1942 at the age of 21.
I would love to get a picture of my car alongside a Mosquito.

Regards,
Paul

jon1d
18-01-08, 04:41 PM
Bilko,

I hope to attend sounds like a cracking event.May sounds a bit warmer for us softies.

Paul,(Fatboy)

Hope you have the motor on the road and hear your new motor running.

Cheers John

FatBoy
18-01-08, 05:22 PM
It should be running pretty soon after delivery. The engine simply needs dropping in and connecting up. Any possible delay will be centred around registration I suspect.

Paul

BILKO
23-01-08, 10:50 AM
OK guys, I've emailed the museum and asked them for May 18th, I'll confirm this date with you all as soon as i hear back from them :)

BILKO
12-02-08, 08:58 AM
May 18th
OK we're defo booked in for May 18th, we may have to help them push the mozzie out of the hanger for the photo shoots :D , they've said it would be good if we can get there about 11.30 am, their also gonna try to lay on some tea & coffee for us to purchase if we want . As far as i can gather this is a fairly small museum so don't go expecting anything like duxford but it's probably one of the few opportunities your gonna get to have pictures of your car taken with a mozzie (weather dependant) . we'll probably try to arrange a convoy for those that fancy it from the halfway house A127
admission is 5 per person pay at the gate on the day
Don't forget your cameras

samwise
12-05-08, 09:29 PM
Well as long as not raining I'll be there, thanks for organising this, cheers

Jason

chr15w
13-05-08, 07:43 AM
Id love to go but cant make the 18th. Any other options (cant make 25th either)

I could always go alone as I agree the Mozzie is the best plane from WW11 (along with the Spitfire of course)

samwise
13-05-08, 12:09 PM
Id love to go but cant make the 18th. Any other options (cant make 25th either)

I could always go alone as I agree the Mozzie is the best plane from WW11 (along with the Spitfire of course)

I suspect it's too close to change the date now as it's this weekend, cheers

Jason

samwise
15-05-08, 12:15 AM
The weather forecast keeps changing but it's now saying sunshine! Yipeee :D

Naumoff
15-05-08, 12:55 AM
Lucky dogs! I am jealous.
That Mosquito is one hot rod of a bomber.:cool:
Great plan. one of my favorites.
Make sure you post lots of pictures, please.:-D

Tringy
15-05-08, 08:08 PM
Please can you tell me if you have to book a space in advance or do we just turn up at 11.30. We will be 2 cobras and really looking forward to seeing the mosquito and having having the pic taken if poss. We are both from Bedfordshire and looking forward to seeing everyone else there.

BILKO
15-05-08, 08:09 PM
just had a nag with the museum and alls fine for this sunday.
some of the guys are meeting at the halfway house A127 and convoying to the museum if you fancy joining them then make sure your there well before 10.30 as thats when there leaving, you should be at the museum by 11am at the latest.

DONT FORGET YOUR CAMERAS :)

BILKO
15-05-08, 08:12 PM
no need to pre book m8, just turn up and pay, you can get there earlier than 11.30 if you wish, i think most will get there around 11 ish

samwise
17-05-08, 04:16 PM
some of the guys are meeting at the halfway house A127 and convoying to the museum

I'll be going round the M25 rather than cutting through London so I'll stop off at the halfway house before 10:30 to convoy from there, cheers

Jason

samwise
18-05-08, 06:16 PM
Great day, the sun shone must of the time and certainly no rain. I reckon about 20 cars showed up so it was a great turnout. Many thanks for to Bilko for arranging all this this and thanks to the museum for being so accommodating. Here's some general photo's of the cars and one of my in front of the plane. Cheers

Jason