PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension update.

Dixie
12-01-08, 01:06 PM
I have finally decided to do something about the rear end on my Viper. It is a Cortina which needs correct setting up.

I am going to convert it to a 5 link system. When I took the complete assy out of the car, it clearly showed why the back end was not very good.

All the Void bushes were corroded and collasped. I am going to make up new arms with rose joints at one end so that I can adjust the axle, the Panhard rod will get it centered correctly.

I couldn't understand why one wheel was in line with the rear wheel arch, but the other was 15mm out, when I jacked up the car, I was able to push the axle from side to side about 20mm, no wonder it handled like a pig.

If anyone is remotely interested, I will keep a diary of events, from taking it out, building a new one and re-installing it. Plus send in some photos.

kevchard
12-01-08, 03:17 PM
Hi Mark
I am glad to see you are entring into 'Viperism'. You would be fine just to get new void bushed fitted (ar5e of a job) and put it back together. Surely it is overkill making up new arms etc?
Does this mean tho that you have access to a machine shop (think carefully as i have lots of odd jobs for beer money that need doing :) ).
I am still going the Granada Cossie wishbone route when i get around to it.
Please keep us informed.
Cheers
Kevin

Dixie
12-01-08, 04:30 PM
Hi Kev.

The Company I work for has 2 full blown engineering shops, complete with every tool you could imagine, plus lathes, Mills, Boring machines etc etc, MIG, TIG and gas welding, plus plasma cutting.

I am going to put Poly Bushes in, but I am going to make up new arms that will be adjustable, its actually a fairly simple job.

I am reasonably handy with Lathes, Mills and welding kit, there isn't much that I or my Fitters couldn't make.

One of the plus sides to being a Operations Director, I can get stuff done.

More than happy to help you where I can.

When I visit next time, you will have to let me know what you want.

Miket
12-01-08, 10:14 PM
I must congratulate you Viper guys, you are a breed on your own. ;) :D :D

Keep us posted Dixie, It will make interesting reading. 8) 8)

kevchard
13-01-08, 02:08 PM
Hi Mark
I am after a set of Escutcheon plates for the roll hoops. I don't mind paying, but the average figure of 20 per plate seems a bit steep for a glorified 'washer'.
I am after a bezel made up to make a neat face for my dashboard. I want to sink the speedo behind the dash (approx 1 - 2"), so i need a fake bezel for the dash and a thick reveal made up to line the dashboard. I will try and do some sketches that make a bit more sense.
When are you hoping to get all your mods done by?
Cheers
Kevin
PS I will get the kettle warmed up for your next visit.

Dixie
13-01-08, 02:35 PM
Hi Kev.

Escutcheon plates are quite difficult to do, they need to be stamped out to make a good job of it. I have not got the correct size stamp.

I tried, but ended up buying some, these were rubbish. I am going to put some DAX ones on, these have a rubber grommit to stop vibration.

Should be able to do something with the spedo, let me know.

I plan to have all this done by the end of January.

I have just made up the support bars for my Jack stands, photo attached. They are not cleaned up yet, welding not the best, but good enough. The bars go through the plate and are welded from the back and then ground flat, you cannot see it from the front of the car and looks quite good.

Should be with you in a few weeks.

Mark

Dixie
13-01-08, 04:03 PM
Kev.

Photos of Jack Stands from the web site in the USA that you gave me. The stands took a bit of working out, when they are polished and painted will look ok.

Mark

hairysanta
13-01-08, 04:53 PM
Hi Mark,
how thick have you made your jack stands where the jack would fit to lift them
pete up in bristol

Dixie
13-01-08, 05:17 PM
Hi Pete.

The bars that hold the stands on are 15mm Diameter turned down to 10mm and welded to a plate that will be fixed to the chassis. The only bit you see is the bigger 15mm diameter part of the bar. I had to do it this way because of the exisiting holes that are on the car, as it is painted etc, didn't want to start cutting bigger holes. They are only for show, and I doubt that they would stand the weight of the car if they were used for real.

When I offered them up to the car, there is only 2mm aroung each tube spare. There was originally bump bars and over riders which used differant hole centres and were fixed with simple threaded bar, these solid bars look much better in my opinion.

Why do you ask? I have I done something wrong with them?

kevchard
13-01-08, 06:14 PM
Hi Mark
Have you got any pics of where the brackets join the chassis? We haven't got any holes in the bodywork or brackets on the chassis.
Cheers
Kevin

Dixie
13-01-08, 07:19 PM
Hi Kev.

I will take some photo's during the week when I fit them. I have 2 angle brackets that are welded to the chassis rail, and 2 eliptical holes in the body work. Works a treat but were originally for bumers, so a slight mod is required.

Mark

hairysanta
13-01-08, 08:11 PM
Hi Mark ,
The reson I ask is that I have located some aly (could be dura) angle about 4x2 and about 3/16 thick (from memory) and was wondering how thick yours were and whether this thickness would look allright on the car.

How thick are yours.

(dont fancy cutting these out for me do you) I only ask as I have no access to these type of tools (only handtools)

I hope you havn't spent all your refund yet :p ;)

Dixie
13-01-08, 08:52 PM
Hi Pete.

Yea no problem, let me have the material, you could send it to me in the post, and I will take to work and put in lathe.

Will need a drawing of what you want.

Spent some of it on some new tyres, about 100 of it will go on front bushes, the rest goes in the pot, sure to need it sooner or later.

PM me and I will give you my address

Mark

Dixie
14-01-08, 03:58 PM
Hi Pete and Kev.

I have taken some photos of my jack stand supports as requested.

Hope they are of some use.

Mark

kevchard
14-01-08, 05:17 PM
Thanks Mark
Looks like i will be out the the angle grinder and wrought iron at some stage knocking up some brackets :).
I like the cool air duct incorporated into the front of the air scoops. Where does the air get directed, brakes or engine bay?
Cheers
Kevin

Dixie
15-01-08, 09:01 PM
Hi Kev.

Cooling ducts go into the engine bay to keep manifolds cool. Works well.

Mark

steamyrotter
15-01-08, 09:27 PM
Hi Kev.

Cooling ducts go into the engine bay to keep manifolds cool. Works well.

Mark

That's a good idea, never thought of that.
However may well pinch it if that's OK;)

Dixie
16-01-08, 06:33 PM
My manifolds are quite close to the side of the engine bay, cool air blowing on them works a treat, and helps protect the manifolds.

Mark

kevchard
16-01-08, 06:43 PM
You made any progress regarding back end yet Mark?
Cheers
Kevin

Dixie
16-01-08, 07:31 PM
Hi Kev.

Wheels off, ready for sand blasting. I brought a cheap portable blaster off of E-Bay. Got some glass sand from work, little beeds made from old bottles, nice round particles. Going to copy your wheels, but use white paint not black.

All the bushes have been pushed out, waiting new Polly ones. Got my dummy spinners, look OK, not brilliant but ok. Also brought a new "Tadpole" oil pressure relief valve from JE Engineering, cost 18, my old one used to stick at high revs, bit scary.

Just got to make the adjustable arms up and make a Panhard rod.

Weather against me at the moment.

Mark

Dixie
31-01-08, 05:49 PM
New bushes are in, axle has been put back in place, but I have not torqued the bolts up yet. Just ordered new dampers off of E-Bay.

The axle is now central, and prop straight, looks really good, dead chuffed with it. Just got to make up some sort of Panhard rod. Got to get my thinking cap on for that one.

Mark

kevchard
31-01-08, 05:55 PM
Hi Mark
I'm glad to hear you are making progress and your faith is partly restored in the Viper marque.
Are you going to make your new rear end parts, or did you reuse the old corty arms?
How did the beadblasting go, any nice wounds encountered???
It would be good to see what your white wheels look like with the red paint.
Cheers
Kevin

Purple AK
31-01-08, 05:57 PM
New bushes are in, axle has been put back in place, but I have not torqued the bolts up yet. Just ordered new dampers off of E-Bay.

The axle is now central, and prop straight, looks really good, dead chuffed with it. Just got to make up some sort of Panhard rod. Got to get my thinking cap on for that one.

Mark
Mark. A trawl through here might help Building a Sevenesque Sports Car (http://mcsorley.net/locost/)
Particually "assembly" and "drawings" ;)

Dixie
31-01-08, 06:07 PM
Not been let loose with the blaster yet, wifey brought it for me for my 40th which is next Friday (8th) all presents greatly recieved.

I re-used the existing arms, I have a very clever engineer at work who couldn't see anything wrong with them, and didn't think he could reasonably improve on them at a fair budget and time scale. With the new Poly bushes the whole assembly looks and feels much stiffer, and seems to be perfectly central. It is never going to be a jag set up, but will be perfectly OK for what I am going to use it for. I think with new bushes, new dampers and correctly set up it should be fine.

Thanks for the web site details, I will have a look and see if there are any tips on Panhard rods.

I don't actually have much experiance with suspension set up etc, but I can't see why the Cortina set up is seen as so bad. I know its not a jag, but it actually isn't that bad, or am I missing something.

Purple AK
31-01-08, 06:16 PM
I don't actually have much experiance with suspension set up etc, but I can't see why the Cortina set up is seen as so bad. I know its not a jag, but it actually isn't that bad, or am I missing something.
It worked for 2.258409 Cortina's Plus numerous Taunus variants ;)

Dixie
31-01-08, 06:51 PM
Hi Chris.

You are right. With all the people and money Ford have plus thier R&D department, it makes me wonder why people think its so bad.

Like I said I am no engineer, but the set up actually looks ok to me. The Poly bushes transform it.

Mark