PDA

View Full Version : Rad To Use

ADRIAN BRAYSHAW
19-01-08, 03:48 PM
Hi, Anyone Used V8 Rover In Sierra Viper Which Rad Did You Use And Did As Sugested By Build Manual Dose It Work At An Angle
Thanks Adrian

Sidecarbod
19-01-08, 04:11 PM
Hi, Anyone Used V8 Rover In Sierra Viper Which Rad Did You Use And Did As Sugested By Build Manual Dose It Work At An Angle
Thanks Adrian

The one used in a Pilgrim is a 2 litre (or 2.3 not sure) sierra diesel one turned upside down. It usually is mounted just off vertical.

Some people have has issues with this rad but then again loads of people have found it to be perfectly OK. (Even with a SBC lump).

Graham (chedz) has a diagram of how it's setup, you could PM him for it.

HTH,

Pete

ADRIAN BRAYSHAW
19-01-08, 04:22 PM
Thanks For That, I Have Heard People Have Had Probs With Rover V8 Overheating In The Past So I What To Avoid This. I Bought A New Water Pump And Im Not Afraid To Buy A New Rad But Would Like One To Fit If Theres One Out There Once Again Thank You For Your Time And Knowledge Adrian.

Sidecarbod
19-01-08, 04:43 PM
Thanks For That, I Have Heard People Have Had Probs With Rover V8 Overheating In The Past So I What To Avoid This. I Bought A New Water Pump And Im Not Afraid To Buy A New Rad But Would Like One To Fit If Theres One Out There Once Again Thank You For Your Time And Knowledge Adrian.

It weird why some people have problems and others don't.

I'm running a stage III 3.5 lump that hopefully knocks out 230 ish BHP and it never overheats. (It probably will now that I've said that!)

I run with the crappy twin fan setup that Pilgrim supplied and it's been OK.

My stat is a fairly cool one at 74 degrees but this ain't a bad thing (Read Des Hammill's book and you see what I mean).

My temp hovers around 75-80 odd degrees, going up to 85 before tha fans kick in. (I have a slightly higher than standard thermostatic fan switch supplied by Burtons Racing).

I think that the rad is OK, when people have issues is due to ther factors such as expansion tank issues, rad cap issues, air stuck in the system, etc.

Pete

steamyrotter
19-01-08, 08:29 PM
Adrian

Most common is the sierra 2.3 diesel rad.

I am using the sierra 4x4 rad with twin fans
not actually driven it yet but running it at standstill and it doesn't get that warm.

You need to get it as far upright as you can to aid natural cooling but a slight lean is not a problem, and most times a necessity, to get it to fit.

cheers

dolphinboy400
20-01-08, 01:21 PM
the rad in the car at the moment is a granny rad, if that helps :D

ADRIAN BRAYSHAW
20-01-08, 08:42 PM
Sadly I Let The Rad Go To The Bloke That Bought The Engine

dolphinboy400
20-01-08, 10:10 PM
Sadly I Let The Rad Go To The Bloke That Bought The Engine

ahh fair play mate :D I will let you know what rad i got in mine when i get it but that may be too late, it's got a 3.9 RV8 that has been modified but the rad looked standard. Should have it by the end of feb, but i'll keep checking to see if you sort the problem as these boys on here know a hell of alot more than me :D

Iain
25-01-08, 08:30 AM
I wish I could remember the details on my Rad. It was custom made for the car and we got a discount because there were three people buying but sadly I didn't do the organising. All I know is that it's a big bugger! I've tried to mount it as vertical as I can as I believe that to be the best way to get air through. I'll let you know how well it works when (if) summer comes!

If you want me to try and get the details of my rad then PM me or reply here and I'll see what I can do. If you want pics of what I did then just ask! 8)

Cheers...

viperjim
25-01-08, 06:28 PM
hiya iain , i`d like to see some pics of the rad if you dont mind , not a milion miles from fitting mine now , cheers jim

Iain
01-02-08, 06:46 PM
My apologies guys, I had a serious computer problem and I thought that I had lost all my build pics. Lucky for me I did a backup onto DVD so that I could show the SVA examiner anything he wanted to see during the test.

Anyway, I've attached a couple of images showing fitment of my radiator. Not sure now if I had to refine the fit once the body was on but the angle is pretty much correct.

Hope it helps you guys out!

Cheers...