PDA

View Full Version : History LR RAM

bart
25-02-08, 08:43 AM
HI
I'm looking to buy a LR RAM ; I've found one at Oselli
But I can't find anything on the net about the history of RAM
Does anyone know since when they've started building cars and if they still exist

Thanks
Bart

bart
25-02-08, 08:49 AM
Hi
I'm looking to buy a LR RAM
Does anyone know when this company started building cars and if they still exist. I've heard the quality of those cars is very good
Thanks for your help
Regards
Bart

blip
25-02-08, 09:49 AM
The Ram is still produced by Realm Engineering. Adrian Cocking (the man who brought us the Ram originally) is the man you need to speak to there.
Cheng Lim at Thunder Road Cars, goes back a long way in Ram history. He races and builds the Ram S/C.
There is reference to the Ram S/C in Trevor Legate's book 'Cobra The Real Thing" (published in the early 90s).
In the past, when I've searched around, I've found it mentioned in various Cobra history/chronology on various websites.

runt
25-02-08, 01:06 PM
Hi Bart, they were built since the eighties I believe, the company is now called Realm, core business now Jaguar D Type replicas, Cheng Lim of Thunder Rd Cars (0208 502 4090) was development engineer there, a genius who races Ram Cobras, builds them still and whose knowledge of all things Cobra is impressive, what I do know is these cars handle well with the bespoke chassis, Cheng's racer has 600+ hp, Thunder Rd offering a splendid Ram 289 FIA these days, give him a call, hth.

Paul/runt.:)

simon finlay
25-02-08, 01:16 PM
Hi Bart, good luck finding your car but, and this is just my opinion, that car looks rather pricey for the condition, there have been some very, very clean cars sell for less than that recently, engine bays you could eat your dinner off and that one does look rather grubby for the money, I am sure that what look like similar condition Rams have sold over the last 6 months for about 14-17 grand, others I am sure will put me right. For that sort of money you could get an immaculate almost new DAX for example, for not a lot more a brand new one from Dave Brooks. If you do go for this one make sure it is registered as a Ram, nice to be tax exempt though no good if it's not registered right. Hope that helps, cheers, Simon

simon finlay
25-02-08, 01:17 PM
Forgot to check, it is this one your talking about?
Oselli | LR Ram Cobra (http://www.oselli.com/items/144?back=%2Fstock)

dingocooke
25-02-08, 02:06 PM
The RAM at Oselli looks pretty tired and overpriced, there are a few RAMs around (RAM claimed over 900 made..emphasis on claimed) The RAM was the first Backbone/spacefame cob clone built with chassis design by Adrian Reynard, and body work being a DAX copy in external shape.

There are plenty of RAMs and other good cobras around, far better finshed and conditon/spec than the Oselli car, take your time and look around.

I loved my old RAM great cars

denis84
25-02-08, 03:22 PM
Hi Bart,

The cobra RAM was born when Adrian Cocking left DJ Sportscars (DAX) to grow up his own replica business,circa 1985

It was (is always) a very good track car,because his well designed multi-tubular backbone chassis,but had a huge central tunnel to leave space to it,so less room for passengers

One thing not said by others,the Cobra RAM was "endorsed" by Shelby himself (don't know the real reasons...),i've read that's because RAM gave founds to shelby healthcare foundation

As said before,the Oselli one seems a few overpriced,i've seen in many mags some cars more or less in same condition about twenty grands

Denis

denis84
25-02-08, 03:38 PM
maybe this link could help
http://allthingscobra.tripod.com/manufacturers.html