PDA

View Full Version : Assembly Guide

Geoff's Project
28-02-08, 07:27 PM
Hi guys
I've been looking through all of the various Cob Kit Manufacturer Websites:) and I think I have set my heart on a Dax Tojeiro:D, ok I know from reading these threads not everyones choice.
As I have previously mentioned I'm not starting building till the end of the year, however if a suitable Jag comes up I might buy it.
Here is my question for you Dax owner/buildiers, is it worth me buying the Assembly Guide from Dax early on, i.e. when I start working on the Jag or do I not need it until I start buying the kit from Dax.

johannlitherland
28-02-08, 08:15 PM
If your going to buy a dax I think they will refund your manual cost. It is worth having to ensure you get the right doner parts etc

Noel
28-02-08, 08:18 PM
I would first contact Dave Brooks, he will build it cheaper than you can :confused: :confused:

Then....there is a lot to be said for the satisfaction that you will get from building it yourself.

Oh......welcome to the mad house :cool:

craggle
28-02-08, 08:19 PM
Worth buying the manual for a bit of advance reading and research. When you order the chassis they will include a manual in the cost or reduce the price if you brought one previously.

Check on Dax waiting times as well. If you want it for the end of the year you may have to order it in the summer. I waited 6 months before they made my chassis.
This gave me time to recondition all the Jag bits before the chassis arrived so I could get on with building it the day it was delivered.

Great choice of kit by the way.:mrgreen:

Craig.

Geoff's Project
28-02-08, 08:32 PM
6 Months waiting, didnt realise that:(.

I must admit I do want the satisfaction of building it myself, its not the costs its the challenge what interests me...... oh and the car at the end of course:D

craggle
28-02-08, 08:41 PM
6 Months was the waiting time for chassis and bodies when I brought mine about 4 years ago. Depends on how many orders they have at the moment.

I built my car as I wanted too. I think I enjoyed building it probably more than driving it now. I do like being able to tell people that it was all built by me and watching their reaction. You wouldn't get that with a brought car.

I did spend considerably more money though than buying a complete one so it's not an economical move but at least I managed to spread the cost across the years.

Craig.

Noel
28-02-08, 08:48 PM
Don't listen to Craig. his car is a pile of sh1t and looks really ropey :( :( Just look at his gallery?

If you are up to building one there is no choice, buy the DAX and wallow? It will be the best months of your life.

NOTE: Must get out more!!

oiler0
28-02-08, 09:02 PM
i would like to know how it can be cheaper to have some one build you a DAX cobra for you when the prices start at about 28500 to have one built ?

your time and skills cost nothing, but save you a lots !

dave
28-02-08, 09:30 PM
i would like to know how it can be cheaper to have some one build you a DAX cobra for you when the prices start at about 28500 to have one built ?

your time and skills cost nothing, but save you a lots !

Witch craft!;)

For a car to the same spec as the car that I offer for 29,500 would cost 28,500 if you were to build it yourself.
EG:-
Dax LX kit 17,390
Recon axles 1000
New servo and master cylinder 195
Used Sierra steering column 50
Trailer hire 75
SVA 158
Registration 149
Battery 40
Misc electrical items 100
Hoses and clips 100
Engine and gearbox 5530
Glue 25
Engine bay cladding 440
Fuel etc. 150
Fluids 80
Gear knob, no. plates, tax holder etc 37

Total. 28, 519

Axle costs=
250 axles from breakers yard
650+ for a full set of reconditioning components.
50 shot blasting
50 plating or powder coating.

Engine and gearbox:-
Fully rebuilt small block Chevy with only the engine block being old, all the rest of the engine components are brand new with billet pulleys, chromed alternator, allot rocker covers etc.
Brand new Tremec TKO 500 with clutch, flywheel, bell housing, slave cylinder etc.

You could cut some corners and save a few quid, but then it wouldn't be the same spec.;)

And don't forget, you will no doubt need some additional tools to what you already have.:(

dave
28-02-08, 09:39 PM
Scrub the above post, I forgot to add in the paint work when i edited it.

Witch craft!;)

For a car to the same spec as the car that I offer for 29,500 would cost 28,500 if you were to build it yourself.
EG:-
Dax LX kit 17,390
Recon axles 1000
Paintwork 3000
New servo and master cylinder 195
Used Sierra steering column 50
Trailer hire 75
SVA 158
Registration 149
Battery 40
Misc electrical items 100
Hoses and clips 100
Engine and gearbox 5530
Glue 25
Engine bay cladding 440
Fuel etc. 150
Fluids 80
Gear knob, no. plates, tax holder etc 37

Total. 28, 519

Axle costs=
250 axles from breakers yard
650+ for a full set of reconditioning components.
50 shot blasting
50 plating or powder coating.

Engine and gearbox:-
Fully rebuilt small block Chevy with only the engine block being old, all the rest of the engine components are brand new with billet pulleys, chromed alternator, alloy rocker covers etc.
Brand new Tremec TKO 500 gearbox with clutch, flywheel, bell housing, slave cylinder etc.

You could cut some corners and save a few quid, but then it wouldn't be the same spec.;)

And don't forget, you will no doubt need some additional tools to what you already have.:(

dave
28-02-08, 09:48 PM
God I hate that edit time out.:(
Something else to bear in mind. Most people spend about 400 hours building their cars, if they were to do those 400 hours as overtime at work, how much money would they make ????/? Take that figure off my price too if you want the real cost of a DB car. And a self built car doesn't have a 12 month warranty either.;)

Can I have a new trumpet, I think I've worn this one out.:D

craggle
29-02-08, 07:26 AM
Don't listen to Craig. his car is a pile of sh1t and looks really ropey :( :( Just look at his gallery?

If you are up to building one there is no choice, buy the DAX and wallow? It will be the best months of your life.

NOTE: Must get out more!!

Thanks for those kind words Noel. Ill remember that next time I see you;):mrgreen::mrgreen:

Craig.

oiler0
29-02-08, 04:33 PM
sorry dave i cant agree on this one ,
Dax LX kit 17,390 you should easily be able to build a full car for that sort of money.

Recon axles 1000 that's total madness
like i said if you got the skills to recon the parts and shop around your self you save a lot of money ?

Miket
29-02-08, 04:44 PM
Dax LX kit 17,390 you should easily be able to build a full car for that sort of money.

like i said if you got the skills to recon the parts and shop around your self you save a lot of money ?

I bought my front and rear axles for 200, I then spent 900 on parts to re-con them and that was in 2001, you can skimp and use the old bits, but if you want a complete re-furb, then I'm afraid you will have to spend that sort of cash.

dave
29-02-08, 06:20 PM

You will not build a car to the spec that I listed for 17,390. I know about these things, its' my job to know.
A Dax built for that much would be very poorly spec'd and eventually end up with a link to it on eBay with the usual comments from members here.

Axles: Like Mike says, you can scrimp and build a shed that will require constant maintainance. The 1000 price is what it costs if you shop around. Buy the parts from jaguar and you'll pay double that.

Feel free to post up a parts list and costs, I'm still not too old to learn.:confused:

If you are going to do it then do it right in the first place.

craggle
29-02-08, 06:31 PM
Cost me over 1000 to recondition my running gear and I did all the work myself. Seals, Bearings, bushes, Discs and reconditioned calipers all add up to big money in the end.

Craig.

Toddy
29-02-08, 07:01 PM
Dave , you know nothing, I am always on the phone telling you how to do it ;);););):twisted:

tonym
01-03-08, 03:48 AM

If Oiler0 can get a new chevy engine through sva without efi and cats then surely he can build a Dax for less than everyone else :roll:

Geoff's Project
01-03-08, 05:26 AM
OK guy, I now realise that its going to cost me somewhere between 17k and 30k:(. But thats ok:). I can take as long as I like over the build, spread the money over a couple or three years, dont tell the wife what the cost is:twisted: and keep asking you guys for advice to keep my cost as low as possible, but have a quality spec car at the end of the build.:D
Like I said it's the challenge of buidling one of these cars that I want, 'Geoff's Project' wouldn't be much of a project if I just went out and bought one would it.

dave
01-03-08, 05:47 AM
Like I said it's the challenge of buidling one of these cars that I want, 'Geoff's Project' wouldn't be much of a project if I just went out and bought one would it.

I wouldn't want one any other way myself. I've always enjoyed building stuff since before my Airfix days. I only recently got into RC helicopters because they came in kit form (Now built and sold).
So long as you don't kid yourself about the costs and allow around 25+K you will end up with a car you can be proud of.

We await your questions.
Enjoy.;)

Geoff's Project
01-03-08, 06:00 AM
Exactly, thats exactly what I'm talking about, I built airfix model when I was a kid, and work on all manner of cars (other peoples) engines, bodywork and all when I was younger, but now I can afford it and have a bit if time, I'm going to jump in head first and build a Cob
Right need to find a Jag.............