PDA

View Full Version : HELP, Flying spinners!

janandchris
01-03-08, 07:22 AM
Hi all,

Lost my 2nd spinner in 2 weeks this morning. This time a front one, which bounced on the road then hit my rear wing (taking the paint off) .

It was after going over those red tarmac speed bumps they put at the start of a 30 limit...which I assume rattled them loose (well pulled the thread out of the alloy)

So now I cant put the grub screws back in, has anyone come up with a better (safer) method of fastening these to the wheels (other than replacing the wheels and spinners for real ones)

john w
01-03-08, 07:36 AM
Hi Chris

Alleycoil the threads with a short insert & they will be ok

John

janandchris
01-03-08, 07:57 AM
Hi Chris

Alleycoil the threads with a short insert & they will be ok

John

..Thanks John, not sure what alleycoil is, but I assume it means putting the thread back in the alloy.
Not sure if I trust them anymore, was thinking of drilling and threading 2 holes in the spinner and getting some torque or allen key head bolts that go through the wheel and screw into the spinner instead?

Impulsebooks
01-03-08, 08:05 AM
Probably be easier to open the hole to the next size up and use bigger grub screws.

I have only lost one spinner in my time, but that was more than enough. I still haven't found a satisfactory solution. I still use the grub screws, but they are so tight they have bitten deep into the wheels. SO far they have stayed put.

The only other thing I can think to do is drill a little hole in them and the wheel and use locking wire. This will stop them coming completely off, but will risk them flailing around <shrug> The best solution wold be proper knock on wheels using some kind of an adaptor for your hubs. I have not seen that done though.

Sparticus
01-03-08, 08:23 AM
the stuff the guy was refering to earlier is called a "Wire thread insert". They are manufactured by Helicoil, Armacoil and Recoil. A kit with 10 inserts would probably cost about 23. They use them in the aircraft industry because the wire thread insert is stainless and has a higher tensile strength than the aluminium material you'r screwing into. The bigger the screw the bigger the pitch = more grab for the wirethread insert. I'd be tempted to just tap M5 or M6 holes in the spinner and use bigger grubscrews.

The screw you were referring to using is called a "socket head cap screw" To be honest i can't see a cap screw being any better for you than standard grub screw (socket set screw). HOWEVER, if you really want a grub screw that will grab the wheel you need a "DOG POINT socket set screw" it has little teeth on the botton that bite into the metal when it bottoms out. Any more question just ask (i do this stuff for a living)

Si

JoMo
01-03-08, 08:38 AM
Hi, When I was racing I had some small nuts that used to work loose. Arthur Mallock told me to put some silicone on the thread before assembly as harmonics can make them work loose. They never worked loose again.

dave
01-03-08, 08:39 AM
I've never known the threads strip before. I think over tightening might be the main cause of the damage to the threads and consequential loss of the spinner.;)

God, I should be on Forensic Detectives.:D

Splitpin
01-03-08, 08:43 AM
Once you've got the thread repaired, use an oversize drill bit on the spinner to make small indentations that line up with the grub screws. This way you don't have to overtighten the grubs to hold the spinner on, just nip them up.
Worked for me. Hardest part might be finding a drill small enough to fit inside the wheel rim to re do the threads, may need one with a 90 degree head on it.

Mike

janandchris
01-03-08, 08:51 AM
the stuff the guy was refering to earlier is called a "Wire thread insert". They are manufactured by Helicoil, Armacoil and Recoil. A kit with 10 inserts would probably cost about 23. They use them in the aircraft industry because the wire thread insert is stainless and has a higher tensile strength than the aluminium material you'r screwing into. The bigger the screw the bigger the pitch = more grab for the wirethread insert. I'd be tempted to just tap M5 or M6 holes in the spinner and use bigger grubscrews.

The screw you were referring to using is called a "socket head cap screw" To be honest i can't see a cap screw being any better for you than standard grub screw (socket set screw). HOWEVER, if you really want a grub screw that will grab the wheel you need a "DOG POINT socket set screw" it has little teeth on the botton that bite into the metal when it bottoms out. Any more question just ask (i do this stuff for a living)

Si

Well, the reason I was thinking of using socket head bolts was to go through the alloy wheel and thread into the spinner itself, which is not alloy. Also if they did come loose they would not just fly off, but rattle about. Giving me chance to spot the problem....maybe?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

simon finlay
01-03-08, 12:22 PM
""""""The best solution wold be proper knock on wheels using some kind of an adaptor for your hubs. I have not seen that done though.""

Mark, if you look in my gallery you can see exactly how an adapter is used on the original hubs to hold on real knock off wheels, if my spinner comes off SO DOES MY WHEEL!!!!!!!!! cheers, Simon

Impulsebooks
01-03-08, 12:38 PM
""""""The best solution wold be proper knock on wheels using some kind of an adaptor for your hubs. I have not seen that done though.""

Mark, if you look in my gallery you can see exactly how an adapter is used on the original hubs to hold on real knock off wheels, if my spinner comes off SO DOES MY WHEEL!!!!!!!!! cheers, Simon

Looks very neat, Simon, but they must push the wheel out further?? Do you have special offset wheels on?

purge98
01-03-08, 12:55 PM

Well at least that would stop your wings from getting hammered by the spinners. Problem sorted.

simon finlay
01-03-08, 02:38 PM
Mark the adapters are provided by Trigo to go with thier wheels, at first I had them on the front and back hubs, the back are fine but the front were out a bit to much so I designed a new front hub that replaces the Jag one and includes the centre mount and pin drives, these I had machined from solid by a local engineering firm, in fact we had 3 sets made and two of them are fitted to cobras in Holland. I also had about half an inch machined off the mounting face of the front wheels, with this done and the new hubs the wheels now fit inside the arches fine. If you do a forum search under Trigo wheels you will come across all my original posts about how I did it, hope that answers a few of your questions, cheers, Simon

colinb
05-03-08, 11:12 PM
I had a similar problem and this is how i fixed it.
The grub screw holes in the rim that had threads sheard i drilled out bigger. Then placed spinner in socket and marked the hole on to the spinner, drilled and tapped spinner 6mm, fitted capped bolts, s/steel, through wheel into spinner with ptfe tape on thread to stop vibrateing loose, now a little visual check indicates if they have moved, (i doubt it ) been like it for 2000miles and havent moved.
Colinb