PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Sealant

westborne
05-03-08, 06:45 AM
Message for Stu really

I asked Dave what he used on my car - flexible sealant.

Dave used to do a lot of rallying and found that High Temperature Silicone Sealant is the right stuff!

when he was servicing mine he just wiped on the joints and wiped off the excess - still good and has vastly reduced the "Fuffling"

Hope this helps

I will probably wander round there this pm - Neil's car is in there - may be able to get the trade name if you want it.

stu e
05-03-08, 06:54 AM
Thanks Chris

A name would be helpful.
I seem to have more problems with my front wheels pointing in the wrong direction at the moment though:confused:.
Still as my old boss would say, these are little challenges not problems.

Thanls Stu.

westborne
05-03-08, 07:00 AM
OK I'll get a name

Had the tracking done recently? - Got a decent local garage with laser tracking gear ?

Dave in my village has the gear - but a bit of a trip for you !!

stu e
05-03-08, 07:08 AM
Had the tracking done by a well known tyre/exhaust company, but the problem seems to have got worse since. Took it for a MOT and they think it maybe the camber, problem is there's no adjustment on Cortina wishbones. It's booked in to have the tracking re-done later in the week and the tyres changed, so fingers crossed.

Thanks Stu.

dingocooke
05-03-08, 07:53 AM
just any clear silicone sealant, halfords sell it, although we started out using clear silicone bath sealant and it never failed; the hi temp stuff is just a bit of BS to charge more; all clear silicone is hi temp!! Worked for me for the last 30 odd years

Noel
05-03-08, 09:15 AM
just any clear silicone sealant, halfords sell it, although we started out using clear silicone bath sealant and it never failed; the hi temp stuff is just a bit of BS to charge more; all clear silicone is hi temp!! Worked for me for the last 30 odd years

Steve, unfortunately it is not, as far as I remember bathroom sealant relies on acetic acid evaporating to cure and the high temp stuff doesn't. bathroom sealant is supposed to have some adverse effects in this situation but I cannot remember what they are? (think it might be corrosion) A look at some suppliers websites will reveal it, that's where I found out.

There are also different grades of silicone sealant as well, starting with clear (cheapest) rising to the copper one (a lot more expensive). I use the American Pro Seal stuff and it is truly excellent, never leaks and pipes come apart as if it was lubed?

Clear is rated -60C to 260C
Copper is rated up to 370C

dingocooke
05-03-08, 09:23 AM
Hiya Noel; Ive used the cheapo clear stuff since 1977, and tried the more expensive variety, but no benefit for the extra cost.
Im only speaking from a point of having used it for a lot of years on many different vehicle types. The more expensive sealant websites will give you a lot of guff about theirs being better; quite understandable thats marketing; and to be fair Im only going on personal use over 31 years..... ;-)

(Note I dont use it right at the head joint, that should have the coreect gaslket IMHO; Im talking about headers/downpipe to collector type of joints)

Noel
05-03-08, 09:28 AM
Hi Steve, I do wonder sometimes about "marketing". I lifted that info from a large manufacturer who did all kinds of silicone sealants.

Having said that the ProSeal clear stuff is only a couple of quid for a tube, nearly as cheap a s bathroom stuff anyway :confused:

Agree also about where to use it :)

dingocooke
05-03-08, 09:41 AM
yeah the other problem with the big cheapo tubes is you throw away more than you use!!

westborne
05-03-08, 04:11 PM
OK - wandered round to see Dave -
he uses a company called "BEAL UK LTD"

Great brochure and in there is "High Temp Silicone Sealant at 7.50 a tube

They have a website but I've not looked
Their brochure contains all sorts of stuff Stainless nuts bolts etc

anyway Stu they are in Leeds and their number is 0113 253 8888

or fax free 08080 800000

or download order forms from Home (http://www.beal.org.uk) or follow Steve's advice

Neil's car sitting there with nice green MOT

Noel
05-03-08, 04:21 PM
The ProSeal stuff is about 2 for clear and 7-8 for copper. Should be available at your local motor factors (as an alternative). I'm sure if DB is using it it will be good stuff though :cool:

HTH

stu e
05-03-08, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I have various types of sealant but no clear.
I've found a garage locally that can measure the Camber, toe and castor angles, and also fit exhausts so will take to them for an alignment check and see if they've any sealant.

Cheers Stu.

dingocooke
05-03-08, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I have various types of sealant but no clear.
I've found a garage locally that can measure the Camber, toe and castor angles, and also fit exhausts so will take to them for an alignment check and see if they've any sealant.

Cheers Stu.

halfords clear sealant, every halfords has it, and every B&Q Wicks builders merchant, double glazed window supplier etc has clear silicone sealant; its the same stuff, big plastic tubes filled in the same factories with the same romm temp vulcanising silicone, only the prices vary depending on whats printed on the label !!!