PDA

View Full Version : No 5th Gear

Spudgun
06-03-08, 02:05 PM
Hi,

I wonder if you might be able to help?

Recently while out for one of the first drives of the year and enjoying being back out in my Dax I lost 5th gear. We were happily driving along :), within the national speed limit, and then the engine revved highly and transmition in 5th was lost :confused:. All other gears work without any problem, just not 5th gear. I can put it into the gate for 5th, although it feels a bit loose, but there is no drive. There is no whining or noise coming from the box to raise alarm bells.

I did not build the car and I cannot see if this is a Rover or Range Rover transmission from the documentation I have, but couldthis a simple or painful problem to resolve? It is a RV8 block and XJ6 rear.

All assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Spudgun

Steve
06-03-08, 02:29 PM
I know little about rover boxes, so I would check the selector mechanism, looking for anything that would prevent gear selection, then once established the fault did not lie there, I'd pull the trans for a proper going over

Sidecarbod
06-03-08, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I wonder if you might be able to help?

Recently while out for one of the first drives of the year and enjoying being back out in my Dax I lost 5th gear. We were happily driving along :), within the national speed limit, and then the engine revved highly and transmition in 5th was lost :confused:. All other gears work without any problem, just not 5th gear. I can put it into the gate for 5th, although it feels a bit loose, but there is no drive. There is no whining or noise coming from the box to raise alarm bells.

I did not build the car and I cannot see if this is a Rover or Range Rover transmission from the documentation I have, but couldthis a simple or painful problem to resolve? It is a RV8 block and XJ6 rear.

All assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Spudgun

Hi Spudgun,

I can't be much help but welcome to the forum!

If you are running an RV8 then you 'probably' have an LT77 gearbox, if you could take a picture of the box and post it up it would help.

There are several people on the forum that could help you sort out the box. JRV8, Russell Ram, Big Thirsty, to name but a few. You could also source a box off ebay or something like that.

I guess the first thing is find out what box you've got!

HTH,

Pete

P.S We are a friendly bunch, (most of the time)...You can sign of your posts with your real name if you like. (Maybe you did? :D)

Q. Why are you called Spudgun?
A. Give him a potato and He'll show you!

Spudgun
03-04-08, 12:26 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding this. Poor I know. the gearbox in question is a Rover SD1 box. I have checked it and all other gears work both forward and reverse, so it is just 5th that is causing a concern.
In addition to this the problem I have is that when the gearbox comes out there is little support for the engine and garages are reluctant to take on the job as they would have to have the car supported and a lift out of action while the work to the box was done by a 3rd party. Do you have any suggestions as to getting round this little conundrum?

Steve (aka Spudgun)

Spudgun comes from a silly nickname I picked up a few years ago. There is no obvious solution to this, but it stuck. Must have been the starch.

kevchard
03-04-08, 12:38 PM
Hi Spudgun,

Q. Why are you called Spudgun?
A. Give him a potato and He'll show you!

Rik mayall and Ade Edmunsun at their best. I still love the camping in the park episode.

Noel
03-04-08, 12:44 PM
Steve....do it yourself, it is not hard, just very daunting. Just watched an episode of a 4X4 Is Born where they took apart an LT77 box, surprising similar to a Tremec, just need some basic tools to dismantle the shafts rather than coming apart without tools in the Tremec. (Some of the bearings are pressed on). 5th gear is on a completely different shaft to the main 4 gears (lay shaft?) and has a seperate selector fork, this is where I would look first. This fork usually interlocks with the reverse gear selector.

The "hardest" part is getting the box in and out, and once you have done it once it gets very easy to do.

Bite the bullet, you will learn loads :cool:

Sidecarbod
03-04-08, 03:38 PM
I have just removed and fitted the bell housing and gearbox (LT77) from my Sumo which is probably a bit harder than doing the same thing in a DAX. (The sumo does not have a removeable centre tunnel).

If I was you I'd definately do the the removing and fitting bit myself, you might want to talk to someone about pulling the box apart. You will still save a shed load of money doing some of the work.

One of the suppliers that I mentioned may sell you a box at a price that is cheaper than getting yours fixed.

If your engine is on rubber mounts at the front you may not even have to take the tunnel out which means that you don't have the mess up the interior. You can just lower the box and back of the engine down so that you can get to the bell housing bolts. (Support the engine at the back though!!!)

Bring your car the the meet this Sunday and we and all suck air through our teeth and go tut-tut :D

HTH,

Pete

Sidecarbod
03-04-08, 03:42 PM
Rik mayall and Ade Edmunsun at their best. I still love the camping in the park episode.

Classic....and all the violence was totally necessary! :D

Noel
03-04-08, 04:09 PM
From the LandRover world Ashcroft Transmissions are the bees knees, an LT77 is only 395 exchange if you squeak like a mouse :p ;) ;)

I saved over 600 by having a look by myself, I allowed myself to get talked into having a go and do not regret it. But at 395.........??

Ashcroft Transmissions (http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_5.html)

wilf
03-04-08, 04:59 PM
This might not be a gearbox issue, but a problem with the mounting bushes for the remote assembly. - they are known to perish and allow the remote to move excessively, which in turn can give gear selection issues.

Another symptom is a vibration through the gearstick when going for second and 4th - due to the remote dropping down and hitting the front U/J.

demus
03-04-08, 09:50 PM
Kev,

S'Out, one of the best episodes..... whats that outside... WOMBLES!!!

demus
03-04-08, 09:56 PM
Steve,

I've got a pdf here of the LT77 gearbox, how to remove (from a Rover), dismantle, exploded views etc.

If its any use to you let me know your email address and I'll send it over.

Cheers,

Miket
03-04-08, 11:02 PM
Steve,

I've got a pdf here of the LT77 gearbox, how to remove (from a Rover), dismantle, exploded views etc.

If its any use to you let me know your email address and I'll send it over.

Cheers,

You can upload pdf's to the forum. ;) ;)

Spudgun
04-04-08, 08:32 AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all your hints, tips and help. I think I might bite the bullet and go for it ths weekend. I was aware of some vibration in the gearbox prior to this happening and it sounds like I should be brave and hopefully save myself some pennies in the long run. :D

I will let you know how it goes and thank you again for all your advise.

Steve

Sidecarbod
04-04-08, 08:56 AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all your hints, tips and help. I think I might bite the bullet and go for it ths weekend. I was aware of some vibration in the gearbox prior to this happening and it sounds like I should be brave and hopefully save myself some pennies in the long run. :D

I will let you know how it goes and thank you again for all your advise.

Steve

If you come along to the meet on Sunday I can give you all the hints and tips that I know. (Shouldn't take long!)

Pete

KevinW
04-04-08, 09:56 AM
Spudgun - where abouts are you in hants?
I also have a sumo with an LT77 'box. You might find that wilf's comments are the least hassle thing to check first. as the dax has a removeable centre tunnel, it would be pretty easy to look at this first. at the risk of teaching grandma to suck eggs, make sure the car is well supported on axle stands if youre taking the box out from underneath.

Kevin

stu e
04-04-08, 03:40 PM
I found this website handy when repairing a leak on my LT77.
The World of the Rover SD1 made by Rene Winters from the Netherlands (http://www.roversd1.nl/sd1web/)

HTH Stu.

kevchard
04-04-08, 07:30 PM
Kev,

S'Out, one of the best episodes..... whats that outside... WOMBLES!!!

I thought the fishing was cool, trying to lure fish out with polos (or something similar), then cooking it over a gas cylinder.
Those were the days, proper comedy at its' best.
Sorry for off topic
Cheers
Kevin

Sidecarbod
04-04-08, 07:49 PM
I thought the fishing was cool, trying to lure fish out with polos (or something similar), then cooking it over a gas cylinder.
Those were the days, proper comedy at its' best.
Sorry for off topic
Cheers
Kevin

They tried to use Eddie Hitlers string vest as a fishing net! (Oh what an ANARAK I am!)

What about the streaker sticking his "bits" in the tent which they then zipped up! :-D

dinosoar
04-04-08, 07:49 PM
Spudgun,

I would say that you have snapped the layshaft at the back of the box.
Your symptoms sound exactly as I had experienced once and upon investigation I discovered that fith gear sits in the rear alloy section of the box and only had bearing support on one side and the oil pump drive on the other.
This was on an earlier box but the basic layout is the same on the later ones.
I sourced another secondhand and found it had exactly the same problem.
Would still recommend finding a second hand "D" suffix (or later) part number box to get you going and then maybe look at overhauling your box.

Andy

kevchard
04-04-08, 08:03 PM
They tried to use Eddie Hitlers string vest as a fishing net! (Oh what an ANARAK I am!)

What about the streaker sticking his "bits" in the tent which they then zipped up! :-D

What about stepping in dog c##p everywhere as it was the local park for pet owners to abuse. Let alone the fact the tent was stolen from a caravan park somewhere as it had 'toilet' written on it.
I'll see you anorak and raise you a kagool :)

Noel
04-04-08, 08:09 PM
What's with all these friggin' cats as avatars????? :D

Well done Spudgun......go for it:cool:

kevchard
04-04-08, 08:21 PM
That is our eldest cat, the wife put him on here. Whats wrong with cats anyway.
cheers
Kevin

Sidecarbod
04-04-08, 08:38 PM
What about stepping in dog c##p everywhere as it was the local park for pet owners to abuse. Let alone the fact the tent was stolen from a caravan park somewhere as it had 'toilet' written on it.
I'll see you anorak and raise you a kagool :)

I knew about the dog toilet but not the other stuff, I bow down you are King of the anoraks :D:D:D

kevchard
04-04-08, 08:41 PM
I recorded them off telly at the time, then transferred to DVD at a later stage. I can post you a set if you want em to relive those hazy daze.
Nice to see someone with an equally warped memory.
Cheers
Kevin

Sidecarbod
04-04-08, 08:56 PM
I recorded them off telly at the time, then transferred to DVD at a later stage. I can post you a set if you want em to relive those hazy daze.
Nice to see someone with an equally warped memory.
Cheers
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the offer but I also have them on DVD or tape or something.

They still make me laugh now. (Not like the crap thing that Ade is doing at the moment!)

"Their after our drugs...but we've only got lemsip!" :D

Pete

demus
06-04-08, 10:17 PM
Spudgun,

How did it go this weekend??

After reading that Mike said I could upload pdfs (cheers Mike..), I found its a little too big, can still email it if needed tho... hopefully you wont need it tho cos its fixed...

Cheers