PDA

View Full Version : Gap (not between my ears)

Nick S
08-03-08, 09:31 AM
Morning all,

Job for this weekend is changing my spark plugs ~ I was going to just clean and gap them, however as a very prominent member of the CRC pointed out earlier this week 'stop being such a tight fisted git' So in response to this statement I have been out and purchased 8 new shiny NGK spark plugs, no beer for me this weekend.

The question I could do with being answered is 'is the gap already set, or do I need to set it, if so what gap is required / recommended. I have a SBC 5.7L

Cheers all

Nick.

Miket
08-03-08, 09:57 AM
Nick

You will need to set them to about 35 thou, if you have an MSD 6AL ignition box fitted then increase the gap to 45 thou. ;) :D

wilf
08-03-08, 10:16 AM
With an MSD box you can out to 55-60 thou if you want. Probably 50 thou is good enough compromise.

These kind of gaps are commonplace now - a 4.2L Jag V8 specifies 52 thou. All about high energy ignition systmes and big fat sparks to ensure good ignition, and lower emissions.

Of course, you are concerned about emissions in your Cobra, aren't you?

tonym
08-03-08, 10:47 AM
So what do you set plug gaps at if you have a 383 chevy with fuel injection and running ford coil packs :confused::confused:

8)

ps, Nick, about time you got your hand in your pocket :twisted:

dingocooke
08-03-08, 11:11 AM
Tight git; buy some feeler guages and a workshop manual!!!
Only kidding; getting ready for summer Nick? Fingers crossed we have a great one this year; brum brum yeeehaha!!!!

darbynp
08-03-08, 11:30 AM
Morning all,

Job for this weekend is changing my spark plugs ~ I was going to just clean and gap them, however as a very prominent member of the CRC pointed out earlier this week 'stop being such a tight fisted git' So in response to this statement I have been out and purchased 8 new shiny NGK spark plugs, no beer for me this weekend.

The question I could do with being answered is 'is the gap already set, or do I need to set it, if so what gap is required / recommended. I have a SBC 5.7L

Cheers all

Nick.

Nick
I have the same engine, which NGK plugs did you use. Thanks Nigel.

Nick S
08-03-08, 11:36 AM
Tight git; buy some feeler guages and a workshop manual!!!
Only kidding; getting ready for summer Nick? Fingers crossed we have a great one this year; brum brum yeeehaha!!!!

'All the gear and no idea'

I have the feeler gauges, however my Chevy manual is currently in use on a build.

Can't wait for summer, I am hoping to make the next EM meet and have drafted in some help to get through my ever increasing list of jobs.

Good old Wilf (and Mike T) you answer my questions everytime and leave me needing answers to 2 more.

Tony,

Have I got an 'MSD 6AL ignition box'?

Cheers

Nick.

Nick S
08-03-08, 11:41 AM
Nick
I have the same engine, which NGK plugs did you use. Thanks Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

They are NGK BCP5E S, they also have 7496 on the end of the box

Cheers

Nick

TINKA
08-03-08, 11:41 AM
Nick you can answer that your self this is what they look like.

http://www.msdignition.com/images/pn6420.gif

Nick S
08-03-08, 11:48 AM
Nick you can answer that your self this is what they look like.

http://www.msdignition.com/images/pn6420.gif

Cheers Martin,

it doesn't look that, I think (he goes for some abuse) it is not electronic as there is a distributor with 9 leads coming out of it.

TINKA
08-03-08, 11:52 AM
Cheers Martin,

it doesn't look that, I think (he goes for some abuse) it is not electronic as there is a distributor with 9 leads coming out of it.

If you have one of these or not you will still have a distributor, this just aids it by giving up to 3 sparks per plug up till about 2000 rpm. Look in your engine bay and if you cant plainly see one of these ( we never hide them normally ) then you have not got one and go with mike T guide of 35 tho.

See you at the next meet.

Dutch Paul
08-03-08, 12:35 PM
So what do you set plug gaps at if you have a 383 chevy with fuel injection and running ford coil packs :confused::confused:

8)

Tony

You will probably have to go metric 105mm should do it. :rolleyes::mrgreen:

Nick S
08-03-08, 01:28 PM
If you have one of these or not you will still have a distributor, this just aids it by giving up to 3 sparks per plug up till about 2000 rpm. Look in your engine bay and if you cant plainly see one of these ( we never hide them normally ) then you have not got one and go with mike T guide of 35 tho.

I will go have a look later (currently baby sitting at the moment) and let you know

Cheers

Nick.

Miket
08-03-08, 02:31 PM
Look in your engine bay and if you cant plainly see one of these ( we never hide them normally ) then you have not got one and go with mike T guide of 35 tho.

Except for Neil O who has put his behind the Dash. :confused: :( :D :D

wilf
08-03-08, 02:37 PM
Just as well - he did spray it pink, after all.

Nick S
08-03-08, 03:02 PM

Had a quick look under the bonnet, there is nothing like a MSD 6AL ignition box in the slightest. The distributor has in fact only 8 HT leads coming out of it and is Delco Remy. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Miket
08-03-08, 03:20 PM
Nick

You must have a Delco-Remy HEI distributor with an internal coil, hence no lead to an external coil, plug gap still ok at 35 thou. ;) ;)

Nick S
08-03-08, 03:29 PM
Nick

You must have a Delco-Remy HEI distributor with an internal coil, hence no lead to an external coil, plug gap still ok at 35 thou. ;) ;)

Thanks Mike,

Is a 'Delco-Remy HEI distributor with an internal coil' a good thing or not?

I will go outside, get my new plugs and set them in anticipation of the better half's return. Theres nowt to this babysitting lark...... big bag of sweets, Lightening Mcqueen on the DVD and ignore the screams and crying............... (don't think I learnt that from 'Practical Parenting' though)

Thanks for everyone's help

Nick.

VeeEight
08-03-08, 04:07 PM
Nick No need for you to go to a night school course in pratical mechanics. Just keep asking questions. NGK plugs are preset when you buy them. Yours are set at 35 thou or the metric equivalent. You will notice when you buy NGK plugs they have a number on the end like 1.1. This equates to 1.1 mm. The ones that don't have a number on the end are preset for the car they were designed for. Phil

Nick S
08-03-08, 04:23 PM
Nick No need for you to go to a night school course in pratical mechanics. Just keep asking questions. NGK plugs are preset when you buy them. Yours are set at 35 thou or the metric equivalent. You will notice when you buy NGK plugs they have a number on the end like 1.1. This equates to 1.1 mm. The ones that don't have a number on the end are preset for the car they were designed for. Phil

Hi Phil,

Any pictures of your car yet?

Nick.

VeeEight
08-03-08, 05:31 PM
I was at the last EM meet in the car but no sign of you there.

Nick S
08-03-08, 09:18 PM

Hi Phil,

A case of misplaced priorities, work / family / car.

I am pushing on to get the car ready for the next EM meet, however the list of jobs is just getting bigger & bigger.

Just discovered a leak on the radiator and I would rather not use 'Rad weld' ~ any ideas on how you get the rad out, the air intake at the front appears to be of smaller diameter than the cross section of the radiator, and there are numerous cross members behind the radiator...... humpf

Nick.

Nick S
08-03-08, 09:21 PM

PS, I think the motor looks fantastic, it will make mine look like a right nail.

VeeEight
09-03-08, 10:49 AM
You are right, the rad will not come out through the nose. If yours is the same design as mine, the front has to be jacked up and underneath the rad is an aluminium plate attached by screws to the chasssis area. Take the plate off and you will have access to a bolted on cross member that supports the rad. Unbolt this rad support and the rad comes out under the car when the pipes have been disconnected. Phil

Nick S
09-03-08, 11:09 AM
You are right, the rad will not come out through the nose. If yours is the same design as mine, the front has to be jacked up and underneath the rad is an aluminium plate attached by screws to the chasssis area. Take the plate off and you will have access to a bolted on cross member that supports the rad. Unbolt this rad support and the rad comes out under the car when the pipes have been disconnected. Phil

Morning Phil,

Is that as much of a nightmare as it sounds?

Nick

VeeEight
09-03-08, 11:24 AM
Not a problem. Just take your time, leaving a morning to get it out. As you are finding, there is always some job or other waiting to be done. This applies to all kit cars new or old.
I have attached another pic of the car.
Phil

Nick S
09-03-08, 11:30 AM
Not a problem. Just take your time, leaving a morning to get it out. As you are finding, there is always some job or other waiting to be done. This applies to all kit cars new or old.
I have attached another pic of the car.
Phil

Very nice.....

Mine is a lot higher than that due to the fact that it is always on bleeding axle stands.... I think I will chop it in for a series 1 80" Landrover...