PDA

View Full Version : SVA Test update

twincamrider
10-03-08, 03:36 PM
Hi All, Just thought I would provide an update on Friday's test result. Well where do I start? Good News, Good News, Very Bad News?

Firstly, the rain cleared before I needed to leave for Gillingham and the sun shone for the entire afternoon, good news indeed!

Secondly, Ian, my tester, who was a very nice chap, very knowledgeable and helpful was very impressed with the quality of the build and after almost 4 hours of thorough testing presented me with the MAC certificate......needless to say I was delighted at passing first time.

Lastly, the bad news, five minutes after leaving the test center while travelling at 50mph and without any warning the engine decided to blow up! In fact it is well and truly F*ck'd. Fortunately for me (not for him) Gareth was on stand by and very kindly offered to help me recover the car to his house. So I have now unexpectedly moved into Gareth's garage! After stripping down the engine together on Saturday we established that a big end bolt had separated and a con rod decided to exit the block sideways with considerable force causing most of the internals to disintigrate......cut a long story short I will need a new engine.

So now I am shopping for a new engine!! If I think about the highs and lows of the weekend with a 'glass half full' attitude, at least it happened five minutes after the test and not five minutes before!

Stu J
10-03-08, 03:48 PM
congrats anyway Mark :D

stevem
10-03-08, 03:59 PM
Congratulations on passing SVA first time, Feel sorry for you about the engine. Hope you are soon on the road, Steve..

Miket
10-03-08, 04:26 PM
Congratulations and bugger :( :( who built the engine. :confused:

Neil O
10-03-08, 05:36 PM
Mark, sorry to hear your problems, but well done for passing the SVA first time.
Have a think about registration before you pull the engine out. It may pay you to get it registered before you change the engine as the MAC applies to your blown engine. It could cause you a whole heap of problems if you try to change engine numbers halfway through the process.
The car can be trailered to the DVLA or you could get a home visit. Either way the inspector is only looking at numbers etc. not wether it runs.:-D

chris farrow
10-03-08, 05:47 PM
sorry to here about the engine, where did you take the SVA test as i live out at burnham and wanted to know where the closest place was.
Once again sorry about the engine.

wilf
10-03-08, 05:52 PM
Extremely bad luck, and very good advice from Neil.

Neil O
10-03-08, 05:57 PM
Extremely bad luck, and very good advice from Neil.

Just spat my coffee over the screen.:o

Purple AK
10-03-08, 06:10 PM
Well Done and Bad Luck Mark

KevinW
10-03-08, 06:19 PM
Neil - did you get your sva ticket yet?

wilf
10-03-08, 09:08 PM
Just spat my coffee over the screen.:o

Me praising you had to happen some day - the old infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewritres thing........:mrgreen:

gareth08
10-03-08, 09:22 PM
Hi All, Just thought I would provide an update on Friday's test result. Well where do I start? Good News, Good News, Very Bad News?

Firstly, the rain cleared before I needed to leave for Gillingham and the sun shone for the entire afternoon, good news indeed!

Secondly, Ian, my tester, who was a very nice chap, very knowledgeable and helpful was very impressed with the quality of the build and after almost 4 hours of thorough testing presented me with the MAC certificate......needless to say I was delighted at passing first time.

Lastly, the bad news, five minutes after leaving the test center while travelling at 50mph and without any warning the engine decided to blow up! In fact it is well and truly F*ck'd. Fortunately for me (not for him) Gareth was on stand by and very kindly offered to help me recover the car to his house. So I have now unexpectedly moved into Gareth's garage! After stripping down the engine together on Saturday we established that a big end bolt had separated and a con rod decided to exit the block sideways with considerable force causing most of the internals to disintigrate......cut a long story short I will need a new engine.

So now I am shopping for a new engine!! If I think about the highs and lows of the weekend with a 'glass half full' attitude, at least it happened five minutes after the test and not five minutes before!

My fish are happy as they have a new obstacle to swim around even though it's broken:(:D:D:mrgreen:

I told you on Saturday you should of fitted a Ford :mrgreen:

Purple AK
10-03-08, 09:28 PM
I know you've always wanted an AK in the garage Gareth ;) But Hijacking a broken down one............... :rolleyes: :-D

twincamrider
11-03-08, 09:10 AM
Mark, sorry to hear your problems, but well done for passing the SVA first time.
Have a think about registration before you pull the engine out. It may pay you to get it registered before you change the engine as the MAC applies to your blown engine. It could cause you a whole heap of problems if you try to change engine numbers halfway through the process.
The car can be trailered to the DVLA or you could get a home visit. Either way the inspector is only looking at numbers etc. not wether it runs.:-D

Thanks for the advice Neil, last thing I need at the moment is problems with the test/registration process.

gareth08
11-03-08, 08:07 PM
I know you've always wanted an AK in the garage Gareth ;) But Hijacking a broken down one............... :rolleyes: :-D

:D:D:D

They are nice and Mark's is a very nice example of one just a shame that the engine let go:(

If I ever did decide to build another Cob the AK would be the one I would look at if I couldn't build an F5 or Kirkham.But then again if I hadthe money to build a Kirkham I would probably go for a GT40:mrgreen: