PDA

View Full Version : Are you located near to Stourbridge

Geoff's Project
12-03-08, 11:23 AM
Question, has anyone used the guy who calls himself alljaguar (Mike) on ebay, he is located in Stourbridge , anyway I think he has a Jag axle set suitable for what I'm looking for, I like the idea of getting this from him as it would save me getting rid of the doner car shell.

Now here is a problem. I live, up in scotland, but I will be down just near Manchester on 22nd March, so I thought it would be a good idea to pop down and pick up the axles. However, I have just called him and they are closed on that day (Easter), assuming I bid for these parts and assuming I win, is there anyone here located near to Stourbridge (preferabley to the North) who could pick up the parts before 22nd March and I will pick them up on that day, I will of course refund any petrol money.

russell_ram
12-03-08, 11:33 AM
Geoff,

15 miles away but to the south if you don't get a better offer.

Russ
CRC Treasury

Milsyboy
12-03-08, 12:31 PM
Hi Geoff

I could collect and have them in Wolverhampton for you and we're open 7 day a week if that helps you with collection.

Cheers

Steve

Geoff's Project
12-03-08, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, one other problem I've just realised, I was going to drive down in the wife's car which is a Renult Scenic and even with the back seats down, I still wont be able to fit the axles into the back of the car, can I take it that it should be straight forward for me to strip down enough to fit in the back with out much trouble.
I have added a link to the axles.
Jaguar Axle set & Log book KIT CAR Cobra Dax etc on eBay, also, Jaguar, Classic Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 09-Mar-08 20:15:00 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160214362052&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching)

Miket
12-03-08, 05:10 PM
Geoff

No it won't be a straight forward job to strip down, unless the friendly guy who's picking them up for you has the tools, a bed and the time to help you, took me 2 days to get mine apart. :( :(

TonyD
12-03-08, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, one other problem I've just realised, I was going to drive down in the wife's car which is a Renult Scenic and even with the back seats down, I still wont be able to fit the axles into the back of the car, can I take it that it should be straight forward for me to strip down enough to fit in the back with out much trouble.
I have added a link to the axles.
Jaguar Axle set & Log book KIT CAR Cobra Dax etc on eBay, also, Jaguar, Classic Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 09-Mar-08 20:15:00 GMT) (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2714957&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.d ll%3FViewItem%26item%3D160214362052%26_trksid%3Dp3 907.m32%26_trkparms%3Dtab%253DWatching)

With all the hassle involved I would wait to buy a donor XJS up your neck of the woods, take it to the local breaker, get him to remove front and rear axles on the subframes, then gas axe through the front springs twice each ( one cut is not enough to release the spring pressure), take home the bits you want ( dont forget the handbrake, propshaft flange etc), and then sell him the rest for scrap but keeping the V5.

With the money you would spend on petrol and the risk of crapping up your Mrs car with Jaguar fluids, muck and the huge amount of filthy grease that always gets on everything within 20 feet of a Jag rear axle, it would definitely be easier if not cheaper.

Plus you don't have to spend Easter messing about with jag bits, you can spend Easter with the Mrs, thereby banking plenty of "goodie points" for future use during the build when you will hear such phrases as

" What the hell is that doing in my dishwasher ?"

" And how exactly are you going to pay for that?"

" You are not storing that in the front garden !"

" Why does my dining room look like a junkyard?"

etc etc..............

Cheers,

Tony:)

Chimeara
12-03-08, 07:35 PM
If you do decide to have the axles still and are going to dismantle them get the scrap yard guy to cut the front springs on the subframe. If you dont compress or cut the springs before removal they could take your head off.

If you can get down as far as the south west I can supply you the very same items all stripped out for around 450.

dingocooke
12-03-08, 08:04 PM
With all the hassle involved I would wait to buy a donor XJS up your neck of the woods, take it to the local breaker, get him to remove front and rear axles on the subframes, then gas axe through the front springs twice each ( one cut is not enough to release the spring pressure), take home the bits you want ( dont forget the handbrake, propshaft flange etc), and then sell him the rest for scrap but keeping the V5.

With the money you would spend on petrol and the risk of crapping up your Mrs car with Jaguar fluids, muck and the huge amount of filthy grease that always gets on everything within 20 feet of a Jag rear axle, it would definitely be easier if not cheaper.

Plus you don't have to spend Easter messing about with jag bits, you can spend Easter with the Mrs, thereby banking plenty of "goodie points" for future use during the build when you will hear such phrases as

" What the hell is that doing in my dishwasher ?"

" And how exactly are you going to pay for that?"

" You are not storing that in the front garden !"

" Why does my dining room look like a junkyard?"

etc etc..............

Cheers,

Tony:)

Made me laugh; so true!!
I think Ive done this sort of thing for so long now Ive actually permanently damaged my beloved; she claims she actually likes my tragic 1970's drum kit in the living room now 'brightens it up a bit', and reckons my 350 desmo looked 'really nice' on the landing in the last house..bless her cotton socks

Geoff's Project
12-03-08, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys, you have probably stopped me from jumping in with both feet and doing something that I will end up regretting.
I think I'll take my time on this one, I do have all the time I need to build this and purchasing the kit wont be done until early next year, so maybe I should take my time and just keep an eye out for something that might come available which is local.
Geoff

simon
12-03-08, 09:37 PM
As long as you take the rear seats out, an axle (with cage) WILL go into a scenic!
Simon