PDA

View Full Version : Road Tax

Wilburn
12-03-08, 04:34 PM
My Cobra was registered in 2006 and is on a 06 number plate.

My Cobra road tax is 180 per year.

Not sure how it has been calculated to be as low as 180 per year as our:
diesel 1.9 litre Audi is 180 per year
and diesel 2.2 litre Merc is 165 per year.

........... and a 6.3 litre Cobra which probably emits ton of CO2 per kilometre is just 180?

I believe from 2009, the new highest band of vehicle excise duty, band M, will cost 425 and will apply to the most polluting new cars, emitting more than 255 grams of CO2 per kilometre, such as all models of Range Rover Sport and Porsche Cayenne.

How are Cobras/kit cars classified, are they or will they ever have their CO2 emissions per kilometer measured to fall in-line with the new road tax system?

Miket
12-03-08, 04:39 PM
Have a look here. ;) ;) http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/26037-vel.html#post232537

slogger
12-03-08, 06:34 PM
My Cobra was registered in 2006 and is on a 06 number plate.

My Cobra road tax is 180 per year.

Not sure how it has been calculated to be as low as 180 per year as our:
diesel 1.9 litre Audi is 180 per year
and diesel 2.2 litre Merc is 165 per year.

........... and a 6.3 litre Cobra which probably emits ton of CO2 per kilometre is just 180?

I believe from 2009, the new highest band of vehicle excise duty, band M, will cost 425 and will apply to the most polluting new cars, emitting more than 255 grams of CO2 per kilometre, such as all models of Range Rover Sport and Porsche Cayenne.

How are Cobras/kit cars classified, are they or will they ever have their CO2 emissions per kilometer measured to fall in-line with the new road tax system?

255 grams of CO2 PER Km!!!!

That is sod all. Anything in the realm of 2.5 ltr will produce that!:twisted:

slogger
12-03-08, 06:44 PM
255 grams of CO2 PER Km!!!!

That is sod all. Anything in the realm of 2.5 ltr will produce that!:twisted:

Just done a bit more research. As it is new cars the capacity will be nearer 3.0 ltr.

Ford Focus st is 225g/km. Oh and Red Ken wants to charge 25 for above this level of Co2 to travel into London.:twisted::twisted:

Wilburn
12-03-08, 06:47 PM
25 ah yes the 'congestion charge' because a small 2 seater porsche with a 3.4 litre engine causes more 'congestion' than a bigger Mondeo.

It sucks!!

Just done a bit more research. As it is new cars the capacity will be nearer 3.0 ltr.

Ford Focus st is 225g/km. Oh and Red Ken wants to charge 25 for above this level of Co2 to travel into London.:twisted::twisted:

davep
12-03-08, 07:12 PM
The highest band (225+) from what I can see is going up a 100. As this takes effect from tomorrow I think, if your tax is up at the end of this month and you fall into this category, get on the web tonight and renew!

cliffords
12-03-08, 07:50 PM
The highest band (225+) from what I can see is going up a 100. As this takes effect from tomorrow I think, if your tax is up at the end of this month and you fall into this category, get on the web tonight and renew!

It only goes up for cars registered after 23/03/06. It does not effect vehicles older than that.

Purple AK
12-03-08, 07:52 PM
Anyone taking bets on the DVLA website being "Temporarily Unavailable" :rolleyes:

craggle
12-03-08, 07:58 PM
I'll be sticking to my old Range Rover for a while yet then.

I am tempted by something pre 73 and american though. Maybe a 5 litre mustang?

Craig.

runt
12-03-08, 08:06 PM
I'll be sticking to my old Range Rover for a while yet then.

I am tempted by something pre 73 and american though. Maybe a 5 litre mustang?

Craig.

Craig, why not a Ford Mercury Cougar; they're much better value and.. were available with the same 'Ford Total Performance' options; 351, 428 Cobra Jet etc. And with those disappearing headlamps, handsome car.

Paul.;)

dave
12-03-08, 08:09 PM
Kit cars are exempt from the "Polution tax". The tax is based on the gms of co per KM, the figures for this are supplied by the vehicle manufacturer. In our case this figure is not available, hence no premium, or discount is chargable.;)

dingocooke
12-03-08, 08:12 PM
Im never sure if I should be happy my car is historic tax or worried that one day it might get restricted use because of the same status??

The FHVC are pushing for harmonisation on historic tax status, in other words a return to the rolling age basis as it was 1st introduced; it was 25 years rolling, but since the freeze the 'newest' tax free historic is almost 35 years old now (which is the oldest historic status in europe)

stu e
12-03-08, 08:13 PM
I taxed my car online last month, and i think you can only use that service if there's 14 days or less til the end of the month.
Stu

Purple AK
12-03-08, 08:47 PM
I taxed my car online last month, and i think you can only use that service if there's 14 days or less till the end of the month.
Stu
Nearly right. You can't re-tax online or by phone before the 15th of month it runs out. I only know cos I had the reminder today ;)

drillrep
12-03-08, 09:01 PM
hi im new to this site just checking things out with veiw to building in the future
i looked at the buget today and then went looking for answers and found this link thaty tell you all you need to know on car tax

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524)

davep
12-03-08, 10:48 PM
Ditto, renewed mine on-line earlier today as well. Thanks for clarifying my other post, I should have made it clearer it was only for cars registered after 23/03/06!

Miket
12-03-08, 10:59 PM
Have you noticed that our Chancellor only mentioned gas guzzlers in the budget, I wouldn't class my Honda Accord as a gas guzzler, I re-taxed my car which is in band F at the beginning of the month at 205, today after the budget it has now gone up to 210. :( :(

In 2009 the tax band on my car will change from Band F to K which takes it up to 300 per year. :twisted: :twisted:

Why the feck are we putting up with this bare faced robbery. :twisted:

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=231720

dave
12-03-08, 11:08 PM
Ditto, renewed mine on-line earlier today as well. Thanks for clarifying my other post, I should have made it clearer it was only for cars registered after 23/03/06!

.........And only "Production cars".
Kits, whether age related and fitted with a 1970's engine, or 08 registered and fitted with a brand new LS engine (For example) will still not get hit with the "Pollution tax".;)

conrod
12-03-08, 11:09 PM
Mike,

The highlight of today's Budget proceedings was Cameron's stonking reply - if he continues to build on that performance there's a fair chance the Tories will boot these useless ba$t***ds out next time. But if Joe Public votes them in yet again, I'm emigrating!

Miket
12-03-08, 11:26 PM
Mike,

The highlight of today's Budget proceedings was Cameron's stonking reply - if he continues to build on that performance there's a fair chance the Tories will boot these useless ba***ds out next time. But if Joe Public votes them in yet again, I'm emigrating!

And I'll probably do the same, Council Tax bill dropped through my letter box this morning, 35 per week to empty my bins. :twisted: :twisted:

I've got a house in Corfu which costs me 15 per month to get the bins emptied every two days, that also includes the TV licence. ;) ;)

Neil O
13-03-08, 10:20 AM
Council Tax, mine came through today, over 2000 now.:(
I suppose it serves me right for working hard to get up the housing ladder.:rolleyes:
Bring back the Poll Tax. It was far more fair than the current system. All the dicks that protested about it at the time are now getting their arses slapped by the Council same as me. Left wing dipshits.:mad:

Rant over.........for now.

Wilburn
13-03-08, 11:22 AM
What do my wife and I get from paying the council tax?

- Bins get emptied every two weeks.
(the wheelie bins, when introduced were made the size that they are as it was based on them being emptied every week!)

- Local school that we will never use (we ain't ever having kids!)

Here is a list of what 'apparently' Council tax pays for!

-Administration of a wide range of licences and permits

-Administration of council tax and housing benefits

-Community development

-Consumer advice and protection

-Developing local and contributing to regional transport planning and policies

-Development planning plus building and development control

-Elections, registrar of births, marriages and deaths

-Funeral services at local cemeteries and crematoria

-Health and social care to people who are vulnerable, because of age, disability, mental ill-health or dependency

-Housing including council homes, help for homeless people, housing strategies, advice and support for older citizens

-Implementing e-Government - providing electronic access to services including broadband for schools, internet access in libraries, developing a transactional web site including online payments and hundreds of online services

-Leisure facilities

-Libraries

-Maintenance of roads, bridges and pavements

-Museums and art galleries

-Parking enforcement and car parks

-Parks and open spaces including over 500ha of open space

-Programmes for economic development and regeneration

-Refuse collection (domestic and trade), provision of recycling facilities, household waste amenity points

-Schools and nursery facilities for children

-Street cleansing

-Support for further and higher education

-Support for the voluntary sector via grants to voluntary organisations and community committees

-Vocational training and youth services

dingocooke
13-03-08, 12:17 PM
yep just over 40 a week for us and we pay for our daughters education as the local schools are sh1t; but we dont get any relief on that as were effectively paying for a free place in a state school!!
Our local council is ineffective, staffed by a lot of people that would struggle to get a job in a normal company or business; are we surprised the council tax charge is high??

Poll tax was sensible but the government of the time were stupid in how they implemented it; thankfully the libdems will never get in, they want local income tax as well as national to funds their wacky schemes!!

Politicians dont you just love them...

Carl L
13-03-08, 12:49 PM
Not forgetting the Parish Councils who are also a total waste of tax payers money. The quicker we get rid of Brown & Co the better!

carl.

dingocooke
13-03-08, 12:55 PM
I loathe Brown with a passion and will vote against him at the next election...but what will we get instead?? We'll just get similar rubbish from another load of egocentric w4nkers who have no interest in anything but lining their own pockets.
Same shit, same smell, just coming at you from a different angle...

Wilburn
13-03-08, 01:08 PM
Here is a thought for you all.

If the majority of UK Drivers (lets say 80%) replaced their current car with a Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion 1.4 litre diesel.

We would then pay 20 per year in road tax!
and the Polo Bluemotion does upto 88mpg.

So, what would the Government then do if 80% of drivers:
pay 20 road tax rather than approx 250
and getting 60, 70, 80 mpg rather than around 30

The government would lose so much tax revenue from both fuel (not being burned) and road tax!

They don't really want us to go green ......... do they?

Our neighbour has a small Citroen C2 which will be very very low road tax, yet she drives to and from work (approx 10 miles away) every day in rush hour traffic.

We have a merc diesel as our main run about - but we work from home and the car does approx 4,000 miles per year - yet we pay more road tax than someone adding to the rush hour traffic on a daily basis.

Total madness.

dingocooke
13-03-08, 01:23 PM
Here is a thought for you all.

If the majority of UK Drivers (lets say 80%) replaced their current car with a Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion 1.4 litre diesel.

We would then pay 20 per year in road tax!
and the Polo Bluemotion does upto 88mpg.

So, what would the Government then do if 80% of drivers:
pay 20 road tax rather than approx 250
and getting 60, 70, 80 mpg rather than around 30

The government would lose so much tax revenue from both fuel (not being burned) and road tax!

Our neighbour has a small Citroen C2 which will be very very low road tax, yet she drives to and from work (approx 10 miles away) every day in rush hour traffic.

We have a merc diesel as our main run about - but we work from home and the car does approx 4,000 miles per year - yet we pay more road tax than someone adding to the rush hour traffic on a daily basis.

Total madness.

On the first point, yes exactly theyre only playing the green game; they dont believe it, we dont believe it. Only a few beardy blokes in white coats with too many pens in their pockets believe that global warming is caused by our efforts. Al Gore bangs on about an uncomfortable truth yet is a massive poluter in his own right (just google him his house and his daughters wedding and youll see why). Its just a lecture tour income for him.

Your second point re yours and your neighbours cars and their vastly differing use isnt a fair apples fo rapples comparison; but wanting to be dealt with on a usage basis makes perfect sense to me, and it could be easily paid for (as it is already!) by a tax on fuel, those who use most pay the most, simple, and we dont need a satellite monitoring sytem, road fund licence, road charging or ken livingston type congestion charging for that; but those greedy lying politicians know that and theyre just using global warming to justify an extra tax take (or two) on motoring. Everything else is just steam and piss.
Yours quite cynically...

tsearle
13-03-08, 05:50 PM
I guess I better get saving as my SVA date is 21st April.

craggle
13-03-08, 05:53 PM
Is that a cake in your avatar Tony?

Looks tasty:mrgreen:

Craig.

tsearle
13-03-08, 06:00 PM
Yes it was my 40th Birthday cake from my wife. At my party I refused to cut it up, but when I sobered up the next day decided I had to.

KevinW
13-03-08, 06:13 PM
Not forgetting the Parish Councils who are also a total waste of tax payers money. The quicker we get rid of Brown & Co the better!

carl.

Do you honestly think that Cameron and his cronies will get rid of parish councils?

As steve said, out with Brown, and in with someone else with similar policies. OK some minor tinkering at the edges, some lip service to personal freedom and wealth creation, and thats it. Post election: normal service resumed.

I will remain, as ever, a floating voter, waiting for some real policies and innovative thinking to emerge. Now where did Killroy go?

stu e
13-03-08, 06:23 PM
I will remain, as ever, a floating voter, waiting for some real policies and innovative thinking to emerge. Now where did Killroy go?[/quote]

If things stay as they are in this country, I can see me being a floating voter, off to another country.
Stu.

Big Thirsty
14-03-08, 06:25 PM

An interesting point !

I had an enquiry this afternoon, regarding a customer wanting to discuss an alternative fuel for an engine. Whilst he was keen to do his bit for the environment, he had a 'cynical' opinion on the green taxes being levied on the cost of fuel. He felt that if the government was serious about the environment, they would be forcing the car manufacturers to provide an alternative to the internal combustion engine. Instead, we are being taxed under false pretences, whilst not tackling large polluters such as coal powered power stations.

By getting rid of the engine, the treasury would lose their two biggest cash cows i.e. us and the oil companies. The country would be effectively bankrupt in a month, if we all stopped using our cars.

In reality, this can not be allowed to happen and if we all purchased bikes or even went back to horse and cart, they will just find an excuse to tax you. After all, how else will our politicians monthly expense bills be paid.... They know, that we know, that speeding fines and green fuel taxes are just an easy way to pay the bills that need to be paid.

I doubt things are going to change very soon.

Toddy
15-03-08, 01:24 AM
Expenses are going ! Watch the salary increase !!!!!!!!!!!