PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Dilemma

Nick S
13-03-08, 09:28 PM
Hello,

A few weeks ago I discovered I had not one but two small leaks in the radiator on my Magnum Cobra. After some much valued advice from the forum, last night I tackled the removal of it. It is now out and stripped down, it is a Serck Marston.

I spoke to Serck Marston today, who quoted the following;

Approx. 200 + VAT for a repair ~ this entailed using the 2no existing bottles and installing a new matrix.

or

Approx. 350 + VAT for a new one

Both of these items carry a 12-month guarantee (excluding the usual stonechip damage)

My question is 'am I being tight by going for the repair / recon, or is this a false economy?

Any advice, as always, gratefully rec'd

Cheers

Nick.

Purple AK
13-03-08, 09:44 PM
Go for the repair Nick, At the end of the day they are building a new one using your end tanks and fittings. If you order an "all new" one they will still have to build it! But with new tanks etc!
Ps. No mail recieved! I'll PM the address again ;)

Nick S
13-03-08, 09:48 PM
Go for the repair Nick, At the end of the day they are building a new one using your end tanks and fittings. If you order an "all new" one they will still have to build it! But with new tanks etc!
Ps. No mail recieved! I'll PM the address again ;)

Cheers Chris,

Thanks for the advice, I take the end tanks rarely fail then?

Any ideas to minimise stone damage without effecting the looks of the front end.

I attempted to email again tonight ~ I am rubbish at emails

My email address is nsmith@axiomltd.co.uk

Cheers

Nick.

conrod
13-03-08, 10:05 PM
Nick,

Did you take your rad to Serck Marston or did they just quote over the phone? The reason for asking is that they can fix small leaks in the core with a special glue/sealer - thus avoiding the cost of a new matrix. I recently had some leaks sealed by this method, and they only charged 30. So if they haven't seen the rad yet, the repair might turn out cheaper than you think :D

Purple AK
13-03-08, 10:15 PM
Out of interest. Do you know the parentage of your rad? I only ask as I've had to replace the rad in our LDV 400 this week which is basically a Rover SD1/TVR 3 row brass jobbie. I was quoted 115 + vat for a recore, Or Brighton Radiators would build me a whole new one for 109 + vat! In the end I went for a genuine LDV one as we needed it back on the road today. Not tomorrow.
As for protecting it, A lot of people use 6mm Weldmesh fixed to a frame in front of the rad and sprayed matt black. This flows air a lot better that the expanded alloy meshes and is 4.99 a sheet from Homebase ;)

Nick S
13-03-08, 10:35 PM
Out of interest. Do you know the parentage of your rad? I only ask as I've had to replace the rad in our LDV 400 this week which is basically a Rover SD1/TVR 3 row brass jobbie. I was quoted 115 + vat for a recore, Or Brighton Radiators would build me a whole new one for 109 + vat! In the end I went for a genuine LDV one as we needed it back on the road today. Not tomorrow.
As for protecting it, A lot of people use 6mm Weldmesh fixed to a frame in front of the rad and sprayed matt black. This flows air a lot better that the expanded alloy meshes and is 4.99 a sheet from Homebase ;)

Not sure on the parentage, I did know if it was coincidental, but Magnum Engineering are quoting 350 for a new one on their web site. It is quite big (W x H x T) is 690 x 462 x 52mm with 38mm diameter inlet / outlets

There is some approx. 12mm weldmesh in front of it, however it is only 20mm from the matrix, I was thinking about increasing the 'no mans land' between mesh and matrix, however I don't know if this would make a great deal of difference.

Nick S
13-03-08, 10:38 PM
Nick,

Did you take your rad to Serck Marston or did they just quote over the phone? The reason for asking is that they can fix small leaks in the core with a special glue/sealer - thus avoiding the cost of a new matrix. I recently had some leaks sealed by this method, and they only charged 30. So if they haven't seen the rad yet, the repair might turn out cheaper than you think :D

Hi Alan,

I did it over the phone to Serck Marston and with some pictures (emailed) however due to the length of time it took to get out (including drilling out approx. 40 rivets) I am worried that a repair would be no better than Radweld and I don't fancy having to have to remove it again.

Cheers

Nick.

TINKA
14-03-08, 09:53 AM
Just my opinion of course but I would never go with a repair unless absolutely forced to due to money problems as it is too risky. If just one of those repairs fails whilst you are in France later this year you will be stuffed with a bigger bill and it will spoil the whole event. Try posting the pictures up here and see if someone can recognise which rad you have.

Off topic

Nick are you still not getting the News Letter :( Just checked and that is the same address we send it to :(:confused:

wilf
14-03-08, 10:54 AM
Complete recore is as good as a new rad, is what I had done to mine at Leicester Radiators a year ago, they also adjusted the inlet/outlet spigots for a better fit for me. About 100 from memory.

Craven St, Leics.

Nick S
14-03-08, 12:24 PM
Just my opinion of course but I would never go with a repair unless absolutely forced to due to money problems as it is too risky. If just one of those repairs fails whilst you are in France later this year you will be stuffed with a bigger bill and it will spoil the whole event. Try posting the pictures up here and see if someone can recognise which rad you have.

Off topic

Nick are you still not getting the News Letter :( Just checked and that is the same address we send it to :(:confused:

Hi Martin,

1. Got the newsletter this week ~ thanks, hopefully see you on Sunday

2. Photos of Radiator

I have instructed a company called Heather Radiators today to do the recore ~ they have come highly reccomended and have beaten the price given to me by Serck Marston.

However all comments (good or bad) welcome

Nick.

Nick S
14-03-08, 12:30 PM
Complete recore is as good as a new rad, is what I had done to mine at Leicester Radiators a year ago, they also adjusted the inlet/outlet spigots for a better fit for me. About 100 from memory.

Craven St, Leics.

Cheers Wilf

If it's good enough for you, then that makes me feel better about instructing mine today.

I have been quoted 221 / 200 / 190 ~ I have gone with the cheapest one as it is very near to home and they have come recommended

Nick.