PDA

View Full Version : Smiths Gauges

udxcob
15-03-08, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys for the responses, tell me do you guys have the magnets epoxied to the drive shapt nuts? to pick up the sensor.
udxbmx

Purple AK
15-03-08, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys for the responses, tell me do you guys have the magnets epoxied to the drive shapt nuts? to pick up the sensor.
udxbmx
On Jag setups they normally go somewhere on the propshaft tube so that they don't get disturbed if you need to remove the prop. It depends what axle setup you have of course.

udxcob
15-03-08, 09:06 PM
I never received any magnets with the probe but i see from the web that they sometimes require magnets, the guy doing my dash hasnt received any so he has mounted the probe a couple of mm's away from the propshaft bolt heads but we cant get a response.
udxcob

andicole0
16-03-08, 10:07 AM
The magnets I got were tiny and I nearly missed them. wrapped in a plastic bag that appeared to be empty!

They are only a few mm in diameter and very thin.

Andi.

Purple AK
16-03-08, 11:19 AM
It would seem there are two types of Magnetic Sensor. One is a normal Magnetic Reed Sensor that senses magnets, (which should be supplied in the kit). And the other is a Magnetic Proximity Reed Sensor that senses the proximity of nut/bolt heads, and doesn't require magnets. My normal magnetic sensor is quite small, maybe 6mm dia and 45mm long with two wires. I believe the proximity sensors are usually larger, and may require the red lead from terminal 3 of the speedo connecting to 12v+ to supply "pullup" voltage. But don't take it as gospel.