PDA

View Full Version : what do you think ???

gareth08
21-03-08, 09:38 PM
Guys,

As some of you know I have been thinking of selling my Sumo for a while but only if the right offer etc came up with regard to price and what I would like.

Bottom line is I've been doing a job for a customer and it turns out that his brother in law has a GT40 that he knows nothing about (inherited it about 3 years ago) and is looking to sell it. apparently it has been sitting for around 5 years as the engine ( a RV8 as far as he knows) blew up and the thing was parked up in a garage and left.

At preasant I have no idea of the make of kit etc of the history behind it but the price he has indicated that he would sell it for is much less than I could buy a kit for at preasant.

I am thinking of buying it BUT pulling the engine and box from my Sumo to put in the GT40 . What do you think a ' on the road Sumo ' is worth less engine and box ????

I know it seems a strange question but I really don't have the time to build another engine as I want to go to Le-Mans in either the Cob or the GT40 ???? so thought that a ripout and fit would be the quicker option ????

I know I need to find out a bit more info and have arranged to go and see the car on Sunday when a bit more will hopefully be revealed.

Just wanted to see what opinions were:cool:

simon
21-03-08, 09:55 PM
The gearbox from the cob would be no good in the GT40, you'd need an adaptor plate and bellhousing to fit a ZF or Porche G50 to it (the renault gearbox is also usable but not able to take big power) A ZF can be had for about 4-5K and maybe a G50 for 3-4. The renault option is cheaper. A new exhaust will be around 1800-2K.
I'm sure you would be able to fit the electrics, plumbing (although you may need a bigger rad to cope with the bigger engine)
Best of luck.

Simon

gareth08
21-03-08, 10:03 PM
The gearbox from the cob would be no good in the GT40, you'd need an adaptor plate and bellhousing to fit a ZF or Porche G50 to it (the renault gearbox is also usable but not able to take big power) A ZF can be had for about 4-5K and maybe a G50 for 3-4. The renault option is cheaper. A new exhaust will be around 1800-2K.
I'm sure you would be able to fit the electrics, plumbing (although you may need a bigger rad to cope with the bigger engine)
Best of luck.

Simon

Sorry I should of made it clearer with regard to the box .

The car apparently has a renault transaxle (from a 25 I belive) to which I was going to mate the Ford to (via an adaptor plate). I was going to sell my T5 w/c to someone else who I know wants it.

slogger
21-03-08, 10:19 PM
Sorry I should of made it clearer with regard to the box .

The car apparently has a renault transaxle (from a 25 I belive) to which I was going to mate the Ford to (via an adaptor plate). I was going to sell my T5 w/c to someone else who I know wants it.

Gareth m8, those Renault transaxles are not worth a light when running serious power! A mate of mine blew one to bits with 250 Bhp in a Lambo rep. Your setup.....................well you might pull away once from the lights!:D:D

Miket
21-03-08, 10:21 PM
Why not transplant the Rover engine out of the GT40 in the Sumo at your leisure, would be worth a lot more as a runner. ;) :D :D

gareth08
21-03-08, 10:26 PM
Gareth m8, those Renault transaxles are not worth a light when running serious power! A mate of mine blew one to bits with 250 Bhp in a Lambo rep. Your setup.....................well you might pull away once from the lights!:D:D

Ah,

So there pretty 5hit then. ????

Have to be honest don't know a huge amount about Renult stuff as not had much dealings with it !!!!

Looks like that is a no no then with regard to box that is currently in the car:(

I guess a decent box to go on my engine to fit that car is not going to be cheap then:(

gareth08
21-03-08, 10:30 PM
Why not transplant the Rover engine out of the GT40 in the Sumo at your leisure, would be worth a lot more as a runner. ;) :D :D

Lots of options Mike but to be honest I have to much money tied up in other things right now to have the Sumo sitting around for to long without an engine box etc !!! Also need to take into account the space etc as I've already got to fit 12 kitchens + my Cob in the garage over the next 4 weeks as it is:(

Work is busy to say the least:D

craggle
21-03-08, 10:33 PM
I did some work once for Quaife in Sevenoaks and had a chance to look at their GT40 replacement transaxle. It looked and felt really solid and was rated to about 500hp I think.

Bet it's not cheap though.:rolleyes:

Craig.

gareth08
21-03-08, 10:37 PM
I did some work once for Quaife in Sevenoaks and had a chance to look at their GT40 replacement transaxle. It looked and felt really solid and was rated to about 500hp I think.

Bet it's not cheap though.:rolleyes:

Craig.

Yeah,

I,ve got a Quaife in the Sumo and that wasn't cheap.:o:D

slogger
21-03-08, 10:37 PM
Gareth, have a read here:

Technical Pages (http://www.gt40club.com/technics.htm)

Says transaxle is only good for up to 200bhp.

gareth08
21-03-08, 10:38 PM
Gareth, have a read here:

Technical Pages (http://www.gt40club.com/technics.htm)

Says transaxle is only good for up to 200bhp.

Thanks mate;)

Will take a good look

Dutch Paul
21-03-08, 11:35 PM
.........Also need to take into account the space etc as I've already got to fit 12 kitchens + my Cob in the garage over the next 4 weeks as it is:(.......

I`ve got a fridge in my garage - but 12 kitchens:confused::confused::mrgreen:

FatBoy
22-03-08, 10:20 AM
Audi gearboxes are another popular and cheap alternative for GT40s as they can take much more power than the Renault boxes. Have a look on here GT40s.com (http://www.gt40s.com/)

Paul.

Neil O
22-03-08, 11:12 AM
Don't Quaiffe do an upgrade option using the Renault transaxle?

I believe Porsche is the other (expensive) option.;)

Gareth, go for it mate.

They'll love you in the GT40 Club........:twisted::mrgreen:

gareth08
22-03-08, 12:57 PM
Don't Quaiffe do an upgrade option using the Renault transaxle?

I believe Porsche is the other (expensive) option.;)

Gareth, go for it mate.

They'll love you in the GT40 Club........:twisted::mrgreen:

Cheers Neil

What are you trying to say mate:(:D:mrgreen:

Clarkson
22-03-08, 11:57 PM
Guys,

As some of you know I have been thinking of selling my Sumo for a while but only if the right offer etc came up with regard to price and what I would like.

I'll give you 10pence for it?:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

David Large
23-03-08, 06:30 AM
Gareth

You might have trouble getting in a GT40 AND being able to shut the door?

David

Neil O
23-03-08, 05:45 PM
Gareth

You might have trouble getting in a GT40 AND being able to shut the door?

David

Are you saying that Gareth is really fat? :mrgreen::twisted:

I suppose he could just put one cheek on each seat.....:o

David Large
23-03-08, 06:58 PM
Might be, but more probably that there is not a lot of room in a GT40 and Gareth is bigger than Noel Edmonds.
When I tried one the portion of the door that closes in to the roof hit the side of my head.

DL

slogger
23-03-08, 07:12 PM
Might be, but more probably that there is not a lot of room in a GT40 and Gareth is bigger than Noel Edmonds.
When I tried one the portion of the door that closes in to the roof hit the side of my head.

DL

Fit a 'Gurney Bubble' and make it a GT 43 1/2. :-D:-D

Orange Cobra
23-03-08, 07:27 PM
Gareth transaxle wise you may want to look at Audi I know that they are running them on some Ultimas .Or go over board and get a Porsche G50 which are also run on Ultimas.
If you need help with Porsche parts I know a couple of www dealers.

Regards Frank

gareth08
23-03-08, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the info guys but I went to see the car today and I am proud to say I am not the owner of a GT40.:twisted::twisted:

The 'car' I went to look at consisted of a load of photographs of what I was told the car used to look like which at best could be descibed as hideous certainly NOT a GT40 but more like a 280Z that somone had grafted some panels onto that they had laying about :twisted::twisted::twisted:

The rest of the 'car' was a pile of bits of which the only things that were recognisable were two old compomotive wheels a gearbox of unknown origin and a RV8 that looked like it had been discovered at the bottom of a lake some 200 million years ago. !!!!

The rest of the car was apparently in a lock up that I could go and view next week if i wanted:rolleyes:

Needless to say I politlely (not) declined the offer.:twisted:

craggle
23-03-08, 09:02 PM
Sounds like you made the right decision Gareth.

Craig.

Neil O
23-03-08, 09:09 PM
Lightweight. :mrgreen:;)

Maybe not.:o

slogger
23-03-08, 10:08 PM
A real Pedigree then, in a dog food sort of way.:(

I hate time wasters.:twisted: Looked at a real nice Lambo that needed a few jobs to finish some years back. Yeah right my A.... It was nothing like a Lambo, more like a shed!:twisted: Blind F..k wit.