PDA

View Full Version : Wiper sweep

chris farrow
25-03-08, 01:24 PM
Just been reading some forums regarding the sweep of the wipers being insufficient (which i think mine are) to pass the sva, what can i do to increase this and where can i get the parts??

chedz
25-03-08, 02:10 PM
Hi Chris,

I gave this quite some thought before my SVA, assuming you have a mini wiper motor, you can get a replacement wheel/cog for it that increases the sweep. In the end I found that if you set it up with the standard cog so that you don't waste any sweep you can get it to look ok. On mine, the driver arm just about reaches to where the passenger arm has swept. Mr SVA put them on, then decided they were fine, which to be honest they are.

I did try and find a high sweep cog, but they are like chickens teeth, hard to find and expensive.

The only place I found was (I think):

M&M's Mini and Metro Spares Ltd (http://www.mini-metro.co.uk/)

Though they were " in a box somewhere out the back and I'll have to call you back", which he never did so I gave up.

Might be worth having a go at setting yours up before trying to source a new bit.

hth

G

kayjayd
25-03-08, 02:48 PM
S&J Motors also sell 135 degree cog thingy, not expensive if my memory serves.

stu e
25-03-08, 03:42 PM
S&J Motors also sell 135 degree cog thingy, not expensive if my memory serves.

Kev do you know if the "cog thingy", is the one in the wiper motor or two wheel boxes?

Stu.

craggle
25-03-08, 04:02 PM
The gear you change is in the wiper motor.

The pivot pin is just moved out from the centre of the gear to allow a longer travel on the cable.

Craig.

stu e
25-03-08, 04:16 PM
Thanks Craig

I seem to remember reading about this in an old Snake Torque, were the guy moved the pin and rewelded it.
Will flick through the old copies and see if I can find it.
Thanks Stu.

kayjayd
25-03-08, 04:36 PM
Kev do you know if the "cog thingy", is the one in the wiper motor or two wheel boxes?

Stu.

You just the back off the motor and replace the gear cog, 2 minute job.

chris farrow
25-03-08, 04:53 PM
Many Thanks
will give it a go and see what happens!!!

TINKA
25-03-08, 04:54 PM
Thanks Craig

I seem to remember reading about this in an old Snake Torque, were the guy moved the pin and rewelded it.
Will flick through the old copies and see if I can find it.
Thanks Stu.

That is how I did mine:rolleyes: did not take that long and cost nothing.:-D:-D

stu e
25-03-08, 07:24 PM
Hi Tinka

I found the article and it looks pretty straightforward.
You wouldn't by any chance know how far out to move the pin, or is it by trial and error.

Cheers Stu.

Purple AK
25-03-08, 07:33 PM
130 degree wheels are 15 from SVC ;) Stafford Vehicle Components - Windscreen wipers (http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_wipers.html)

stu e
25-03-08, 07:48 PM
[quote=Purple AK;235101]130 degree wheels are 15 from SVC ;)

Wiper motor has to be removed and dismantled anyway, may as well have a go myself. If all else fails will order a new gear. Thanks for the link;).
Stu.

TINKA
26-03-08, 01:07 AM
Hi Tinka

I found the article and it looks pretty straightforward.
You wouldn't by any chance know how far out to move the pin, or is it by trial and error.

Cheers Stu.

It was trial and error but got it the second time. It is surprising how little I had to move it.:D