PDA

View Full Version : Best wax

Wilburn
25-03-08, 10:07 PM
Hi,

I thought i'd share with you my findings with wax on my Cobra.

I have the following waxes

Mer
Mer Products The Ultimate Car Polish (http://www.merproducts.com/acatalog/The_Ultimate_Car_Polish.html)

Zymol cleaner wax
Zymol Cleaner Wax (473ml) Z503 (http://www.vertar.com/car-care-exterior/surface-preparation/zymol-cleaner-wax/)

Swiswax (Best of show) £120 a tub! (yes, One hundred and twenty pounds a tub!)
Swissvax GB - Wax Products (http://www.swissvax.co.uk/products/wax-products.asp)

Tonight I cleaned 3 small sections of my Cobra's bonnet and applied one of each wax as per their instructions to each area.

By far the best was the Zymol (which cost £12.49 from Halfords !!!!!!!!!!!!)

So as soon as I get some dry weather, I'm going to clean the whole car and apply the cheap Zymol all over .......... probably around 3 times :)

craggle
25-03-08, 10:13 PM
£120!!!!!! And people though I was mad for polishing the inside of my wheels.:mrgreen:

I have had good results from BlitzWax from Frosts. Blitz-Wax (http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8040&frostProductName=Blitz%20Wax%20(283g)&catID=15&frostCat=Car%20Care&frostSubCat=One%20grand&subCatID=24)

It seems to work on everything including chrome, stainless and rubber. It leaves no white residue or powdery mess to clean up.

May try some Zymol next time though.

Cheers for the information.

Craig.

slogger
25-03-08, 10:21 PM
£120!!!!!! And people though I was mad for polishing the inside of my wheels.:mrgreen:

I have had good results from BlitzWax from Frosts. Blitz-Wax (http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8040&frostProductName=Blitz%20Wax%20(283g)&catID=15&frostCat=Car%20Care&frostSubCat=One%20grand&subCatID=24)

It seems to work on everything including chrome, stainless and rubber. It leaves no white residue or powdery mess to clean up.

May try some Zymol next time though.

Cheers for the information.

Craig.

I cleaned my Dax, ONCE, with Simoniz Pure wax years ago and the results were stunning. Never found anything else yet to give the same result. There is a picture taken from the front in my gallery just after I had killed both arms doing it.:confused:

Miket
25-03-08, 10:33 PM
I cleaned my Dax, ONCE, with Simoniz Pure wax years ago and the results were stunning. Never found anything else yet to give the same result. There is a picture taken from the front in my gallery just after I had killed both arms doing it.:confused:

The Simonize wax is definitely the best on the market, but too much like hard work, can't beat Autoglym super resin, then finished with the hard gloss finish. :D :D

Neil O
25-03-08, 11:04 PM
What is wax?

Maybe I could get my car cleaner guy to use some...

Miket
25-03-08, 11:08 PM
What is wax?

Maybe I could get my car cleaner guy to use some...
Great stuff, but as I said, hard work. :D :D and it contains pure carnauba

Speeding.co.uk Simoniz (http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Simoniz.html)

Neil O
25-03-08, 11:10 PM
Great stuff, but as I said, hard work. :D :D

Speeding.co.uk Simoniz (http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Simoniz.html)

mmmm, not sure I can cope with that part.;)

dave.n
25-03-08, 11:11 PM
Back, sack and crack with turtle wax.

The cheapest, 5gallons for £8 and still easy to put on, easy to buff up and hardly any of that annoying polishing dust. Lasts a good four months and you probably do it again for the next show or event anyway.

Couple that with cheapo turtle wax car wash and a good leather and you'll shine for ever. Also very good car shampoo is Asda own brand.

Just my findings and I swear by them.

slogger
25-03-08, 11:15 PM
Back, sack and crack with turtle wax.

The cheapest, 5gallons for £8 and still easy to put on, easy to buff up and hardly any of that annoying polishing dust. Lasts a good four months and you probably do it again for the next show or event anyway.

Couple that with cheapo turtle wax car wash and a good leather and you'll shine for ever. Also very good car shampoo is Asda own brand.

Just my findings and I swear by them.

.....so you're not using the local hand car wash anymore then Dave?:rolleyes:

What was that? Your wheels match your paint!;)

TonyD
25-03-08, 11:18 PM
The Simonize wax is definitely the best on the market, but too much like hard work, can't beat Autoglym super resin, then finished with the hard gloss finish. :D :D

Many years ago I set up a car valeting business with my sister and her husband running it and we used Autoglym polishing products with Quadralene cleaning products (are they still going) as we found them the best of the bunch.

I'm still using the Autoglym super resin now, on the one occasion per year when the cars get polished, as its just so simple to use. A mate bought the ultimate the Zymol product, a perspex box with precious wax within, with a lifetime replacement of the wax used for £1500.............just to use on his Audi TT.

He used the wax twice and the Audi paint still didn't look particularly great so he gave up. His opinion was that it another expensive well marketed fad.

Cheers,

Tony

Bigblock
25-03-08, 11:33 PM
I buy a trade wax from body shop suppliers, 5 ltrs for about £14
No powder, no streaks, takes about 10 mins from beginning to end.

In the workshop we tried all sorts of crap and gimmicks that the reps used to bring in, Auto Glimmer, Muthers, Turtle Crap, Mur, Cuban Brazilian G string wax, all boll*cks

All did exactly the same job, cost more and took longer.

Do you want to drive the thing or polish it?

I have recommended this stuff to loads and most of the cars that went through the workshop the owners came back after trying out the expensive stuff and took a can from us.

It is thin and only lasts about 5 or 6 good washes, but being so quick to do it isnít a problem. You can use this on paint, chrome and even glass without streaking. It is also spot on on black cars.

wilf
26-03-08, 08:26 AM
What MikeT and TonyD said.

craggle
26-03-08, 08:33 AM
I tried the Autoglym products once but really didn't like it. It left it a bit streaky and it looked like it had dandruff afterwards with all the white powder left on it.

The Simoniz wax is good stuff and near enough identical to the Blitz wax from Frosts.

Craig.

shadow
26-03-08, 08:36 AM
I was told to make sure it doesn't contain silicone in it cos that will bugger you when it comes to painting! I was told this buy a mechanic friend, so it may be bo**ox.

crmcatee
26-03-08, 08:48 AM
funnily enough I gave mine a wash this weekend in between snow showers and was trying Bilt Hamber's autobalm - more of a protective gloss finish.

Came up a bloody treat
http://www.craigsstuff.co.uk/images/cobra2/IMG_8767.jpg

dave.n
26-03-08, 09:07 AM
.....so you're not using the local hand car wash anymore then Dave?:rolleyes:

What was that? Your wheels match your paint!;)

Ian
Still got plenty of milky bits. It takes so long to polish out the acid/alkali stains.

The car was shiny though, like glass for about 20mins then everything reacted.

ldtopham
26-03-08, 12:13 PM
Product Reviews (http://www.pistonheads.com/reviews/reviews.asp?c=52&id=214) Very easy to apply and ready to buff withing 5 mins. No streaks or residue on a black car and looks like it will last me a good few years.

dingocooke
26-03-08, 01:06 PM
Car wax, the advertising mans dream; all those over priced expensive waxes, £120 a tub, £1500 for a contract-jeez!!
Anyway it made me laugh.

My take on it is my cob doesnt actually get really dirty very often, usually its more a cse of just dust, dead insects, brake dust, road film, spectator drool etc; so I clean it every time I use it.

I use Turtle wax speedwax in a pump trigger thingy, cheap as chips from halfrauds at iro £5 and sometimes you get it BOGOF there too!
Its very watery (like water with milk splashed in). I spray it on the dead flies 1st, let it soak in for a couple of mins (timed by drinking a cuppa and doing sweet fa) then wipe off the bugs, followed by a clean/polish of the whole car. Its wet enough to take off the dust without scratching, and the waxy residue buffs very quickly to a nice shine. All this takes no more than 10 minutes of very relaxed cleaning to do the whole car including the cuppa.

I think a lot of wax comes off during washing, not so much the washing but the leathering off after; if you buy a synthetic chamois instead of a real one, it leathers of faster easier and your polish job lasts longer as the synthetic chamois is softer on the wax.

Only my take on it; (whats the saying? Give a lazy man a difficult job and he'll find an easy way to do it??)

runt
26-03-08, 03:32 PM
Christ, that DB no.98 is PAMPERED.. £120..? That's 20 bottles of my current favourite Merlot..

Listen to the man who gave life to your car.. a quote from Stoke.. "Autoglym Fast Glass is actually a good cleaner of paintwork as well as glass", and then.. I agree with Steve Dingo, any easyspray-on stuff will do, the gym can be boring but valeting cars is for, well, for..the 'Polish'..;)
Mind you, Craig's car looks nice, I might take mine over to Kent and pay him..

Paul.:)

dingocooke
26-03-08, 03:36 PM
Christ, that DB no.98 is PAMPERED.. £120..? That's 20 bottles of my current favourite Merlot..

Listen to the man who gave life to your car.. a quote from Stoke.. "Autoglym Fast Glass is actually a good cleaner of paintwork as well as glass", and then.. I agree with Steve Dingo, any easyspray-on stuff will do, the gym can be boring but valeting cars is for, well, for..the 'Polish'..;)

Yep, just be careful what you spray, for example Mr Sheen (original) whilst being brilliant for dead flies, actually removes existing hard wax from the surface of the paintwork. Which is why I now use the turtle wax spray stuff; as it does have a little wax in!

runt
26-03-08, 03:48 PM
By far the most irksome part of the whole 'clean a Cob' performance for me is packing the interior out with bed sheets and cellophane to catch any drips of water when cleaning the rear of the car, a couple of chaps at meets have claimed to "only ever use a damp cloth.." yet their cars are spotless..!

Paul.;)

dave.n
26-03-08, 04:08 PM
By far the most irksome part of the whole 'clean a Cob' performance for me is packing the interior out with bed sheets and cellophane to catch any drips of water when cleaning the rear of the car, a couple of chaps at meets have claimed to "only ever use a damp cloth.." yet their cars are spotless..!

Paul.;)

Paul
Easiest way is to overcome this by parking the car facing uphill. Or block up the front.

crmcatee
26-03-08, 04:21 PM

It'll be done after I've done my Landy to see how that comes up...

:)

Bilt Hamber comes from your neck of the woods.. Billericay

dingocooke
26-03-08, 04:28 PM

Paul.;)

Paul-you dont need to do that matey!!

My method if I use water (ie if its ditched) clean around the top of the cockpit and the top rear of the boot area with either a damp sponge or a a wet chamois, then clean the lower parts of the car as normal with sponge, then rinse off the lower areas with watering can with fine rose (doesnt get too much water around door seals) then leather the whole thing off.
Nothing gets wet, no need for any packing out or anything

Noel
26-03-08, 04:29 PM
Been through this all before, see here

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/17710-best-polish.html

"Men and polish" is the same as "men and BBQ's" ;)

Everyone knows that there way is best and cannot be told otherwise :p :D

Have use Zaino twice now, have also used Autoglym which is very good but leaves a lot of dust (and streaks if you do not buff off enough), Meguires is slightly better, but will not go back to them. A Zaino convert.

dingocooke
26-03-08, 04:35 PM
hehe yeah, except my way is best LOL!! OK its quick and easy!!!

runt
26-03-08, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys, obviously I never use a hose; but that area rear of the interior was awkward; the price you pay for beauty I suppose!

At risk of highjacking thread, how about dirty screen.. I've tried everything but still have some smearing (luckily on passenger side), any ideas?
Craig, don't think I've met that chap, Billericay is a few miles out in the sticks, full of wholesome middle class Essex girls, walking though the High Street on a warm day takes your breath away if you know what I mean.

Paul.;)

dingocooke
26-03-08, 05:19 PM
damp chamois leather Paul makes an easy job of windows car interior exterior or otherwise (probably why it was always the window cleaners favourite!)

Miket
26-03-08, 05:26 PM
Best thing for windows is a Scrim cloth, window cleaners use them instead of wash leathers.

Window Handles, Door Handles and Accessories Online, UK :HD Hardware: Pre-washed scrim (http://www.hdhardware.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=146_149_197&products_id=203&osCsid=e1e980167fe93803e6c4fd76a8346e6c)

RichardG
26-03-08, 05:43 PM
I love the zymol, not because its any good, but because it smells nice!

nuf_said
26-03-08, 05:53 PM
Paul-you dont need to do that matey!!

My method if I use water (ie if its ditched) clean around the top of the cockpit and the top rear of the boot area with either a damp sponge or a wet chamois, then clean the lower parts of the car as normal with sponge, then rinse off the lower areas with watering can with fine rose (doesnt get too much water around door seals) then leather the whole thing off.
Nothing gets wet, no need for any packing out or anything

Exactly....
Bodywork:- I hold a damp sponge over the boot 'trough' where water wants to run into the cockpit and with the other hand use the wash sponge as normal. Just catch any water before it dribbles in. Rest of the car - just usual wet sponge and chamois.
Windscreen:- I alternate between using Autoglym Fast Glass (which often leaves streaks for some reason) and scrunched up newspaper wetted with vinegar in water. Like your mam did the house windows perhaps. This is very dilute vinegar, a dribble into the bucket - not like number 2 son who misunderstood me and just used neat vinegar inside and out of the glass. His car smelled like a chip shop.
Polish:- Only ever used Halfrauds black colour polish (its a black gel coat car).
I do wonder if that polish is good enough for the raw aluminium on the wheel rims though....

Nuf Said

rocketmut
26-03-08, 08:26 PM
Using Meguire's at the moment, m8 of mine has a limmo business & swears by it. Brings the cob up really nice with no streaks etc...& you get a wash mit which is great for round the cockpit.:D

kobra
26-03-08, 09:14 PM
Hi,

I thought i'd share with you my findings with wax on my Cobra.

I have the following waxes

Mer
Mer Products The Ultimate Car Polish (http://www.merproducts.com/acatalog/The_Ultimate_Car_Polish.html)

Zymol cleaner wax
Zymol Cleaner Wax (473ml) Z503 (http://www.vertar.com/car-care-exterior/surface-preparation/zymol-cleaner-wax/)

Swiswax (Best of show) £120 a tub! (yes, One hundred and twenty pounds a tub!)
Swissvax GB - Wax Products (http://www.swissvax.co.uk/products/wax-products.asp)

Tonight I cleaned 3 small sections of my Cobra's bonnet and applied one of each wax as per their instructions to each area.

By far the best was the Zymol (which cost £12.49 from Halfords !!!!!!!!!!!!)

So as soon as I get some dry weather, I'm going to clean the whole car and apply the cheap Zymol all over .......... probably around 3 times :)

I use Mer. I watched a guy set light to a bonnet he had just polished, No damaged. I use it on the underside of my bonnet as well. But i don't think i will be setting light to it. :)

alfiebeard
26-03-08, 09:36 PM
I use Mer. I watched a guy set light to a bonnet he had just polished, No damaged. I use it on the underside of my bonnet as well. But i don't think i will be setting light to it. :)

I once watched a guy set fire to a fart and he still had all his pubes:eek:, must have wiped his arse with MER :rolleyes:.
Cant beat Autoglym.;)

FatBoy
26-03-08, 10:39 PM
I find 1200 grade wet 'n' dry followed by a rub down with Scotchbrite works well for me :)

Miket
26-03-08, 10:49 PM

Ray

Dump the Mer, it's only one step up from T-Cut, great on Gel coat, but not for a 3K paint job. :( :(

wilf
27-03-08, 08:51 AM
I find 1200 grade wet 'n' dry followed by a rub down with Scotchbrite works well for me :)

Went over their heads, Paul, over their heads..................:mrgreen:

Neil O
27-03-08, 08:54 AM
Ray

Dump the Mer, it's only one step up from T-Cut, great on Gel coat, but not for a 3K paint job. :( :(

What about a 4k paint job?:eek:

I used Mer on the Dax a few times when I was in a hurry. Just put in the bucket of water and wash the car with it. A quick shammy and it looks pretty good.
The paint on the Dax always looked quite good even though I only waxed about 3 times in the 5 years I had it.:o8)

Neil O
27-03-08, 08:55 AM
Went over their heads, Paul, over their heads..................:mrgreen:

We were all just ignoring him Wilf.;)

wilf
27-03-08, 09:38 AM
I know what you mean Neil - after all, the guy is too tight to even bother with a paint job! :twisted:

Miket
27-03-08, 10:36 AM
What about a 4k paint job?:eek:

Hadn't realized Halfords touch up sprays had gone up that much. :twisted: ;) :D

jamieM
27-03-08, 10:45 AM
thought id stick my halfpenneth in as its all very interesting!
Have been using autoglym and treated myself to one of those electrical polishers.....piece of pi88 but doesnt half leave a load of 'dust' on car......best i try something else!
as for windscreens, use Tesco glass cleaner.....spray on, wipe off with kitchen towel. Crystal clean windows i promise. In fact, so enjoyable, now clean 'her' windows in the house with it (but not with MY leather!!)
J:cool:

FatBoy
27-03-08, 12:30 PM
I know what you mean Neil - after all, the guy is too tight to even bother with a paint job! :twisted:

You're not too far off the truth Wilf. I've well and truely spent up for the time being and that also includes any goodwill from my wife :)

Paul

runt
27-03-08, 03:49 PM
Will try as suggested by Nuf Said and JamieM, thanks guys; I agree that Autoglym Fast Glass is very smeary, hasn't cleaned my screen very well.
Trouble is; the smell of that vinegar will make me fancy some chips; and I'm on a diet..

Paul/runt.:)

dingocooke
27-03-08, 03:52 PM
...that vinegar will ..

....also make your screen and seals rot LOL its ok on council house windows, not so great rubbing diluted non brewed condiment (acid) on your bits (or eating it...)

:D :D ;-)

Neil O
27-03-08, 03:53 PM
You're not too far off the truth Wilf. I've well and truely spent up for the time being and that also includes any goodwill from my wife :)

Paul

Want me to see if I can work any more goodwill out of her? ;)

Just trying to be helpful.:-D

runt
27-03-08, 04:01 PM
....also make your screen and seals rot LOL its ok on council house windows, not so great rubbing diluted non brewed condiment (acid) on your bits (or eating it...)

:D :D ;-)

Stuck in a 'Jam' here then.. (Saturday's kids live in council 'ouses..);)

Neil O
27-03-08, 04:04 PM
Stuck in a 'Jam' here then.. (Saturday's kids live in council 'ouses..);)

Dingo is a snob. Obviously. ;)

tonym
27-03-08, 04:06 PM
Dingo is a snob. Obviously. ;)

Are your S and K's mixed up Neil?? :mrgreen: (sorry steve, couldn't resist :p)

runt
27-03-08, 04:08 PM
Want me to see if I can work any more goodwill out of her? ;)

Just trying to be helpful.:-D

And very noble too; the sort of thing that made this country great;); but as we all know Neil, time does blur a woman's memory, she'll soon be spoiling him again, a nice bottle of wine helps (been trying to get mine drunk for years).

dingocooke
27-03-08, 05:09 PM
Are your S and K's mixed up Neil?? :mrgreen: (sorry steve, couldn't resist :p)

Been called much, much worse!!! Spent many a happy hour upstairs in a council house snobbing a pretty girl...;-)

runt
27-03-08, 05:32 PM
Been called much, much worse!!! Spent many a happy hour upstairs in a council house snobbing a pretty girl...;-)

Does that mean she's..beneath you..?:)

dingocooke
27-03-08, 05:34 PM
Does that mean she's..beneath you..?:)

hehe no I used to be an inverted snob ;-) and she was a cowgirl...

runt
27-03-08, 05:37 PM
Ha ha, very droll!:)

kobra
27-03-08, 07:29 PM
Ray

Ok Boss ,its done.:)

Miket
27-03-08, 10:04 PM
Ok Boss ,its done.:)

If you want to use it up, do as Neil suggested, pour some in the bucket when you wash your car. ;) :D :D

Neil O
27-03-08, 11:42 PM
If you want to use it up, do as Neil suggested, pour some in the bucket when you wash your car. ;) :D :D

Takes a fair bit of stirring.
It's ok for me, I'm good at that.;):mrgreen: