PDA

View Full Version : Mazda RX8

Wilburn
26-03-08, 04:26 PM
Hi,

We are thinking of trading in our Merc for this

Auto Trader Dealer Pages - Mc Garages (http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=3542&pageid=2)

It is the 192bhp model.

Do any of you have a Mazda RX8?

Any thoughts on them?

Thanks

Paul

TonyD
26-03-08, 04:39 PM
Hi,

We are thinking of trading in our Merc for this

Auto Trader Dealer Pages - Mc Garages (http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=3542&pageid=2)

It is the 192bhp model.

Do any of you have a Mazda RX8?

Any thoughts on them?

Thanks

Paul

Why no miles on the advert? Starship or repmobile?

Fuel economy isn't their strong point but I love the styling. What does JD Power say?

Cheers,

Tony

Wilburn
26-03-08, 04:40 PM
Mileage is 53,000

TINKA
26-03-08, 04:42 PM
Nice cars but have you checked out how much oil they use. I believe they even have a special compartment in them to store the top up bottle :shock::shock:

Miket
26-03-08, 04:54 PM
I've read somewhere in the past that the rotor tips need a rebuild about 60K, I would think that will be an expensive job. :( :(

Might be worth checking before you buy.

dingocooke
26-03-08, 05:15 PM
Had a longish test drive in an RX8 (the higher hp one I forget the actual figure now) before I bought my 330coupe.
On paper it was perfect for me, I liked the looks; looks like a two door coupe, but its 4 doors with the concealed handle suicide doors and you can get 4 adults in the car.
I did a lot of research on the RX8 forum (same user name as here) too, and also asked a couple of people running them.

This is what I thought:

Upsides.
Nice styling (to my eyes), smart interior, tremendous brakes, and very nice balanced handling and steering. Smooth, like its an electric motor. Cheap as chips to lease (a year ago I had a haggle and got sub 300 pcm full maintenance 3 years 30,000 miles a year on the top model).Coupe looks, saloon space (ish).
Nice build quality, no rattles or squeaks and not too plasticky either. A fun car for shortish trips, but very irksome on longer runs.

Downsides
Its really gutless, fine if youve got out of a Nova or milkfloat, but needs 1800 rpm ish to pull away with two people in, with no discernible powerband, so whilst it can be quick if you are rutheless with it (I was), there is no sensation of speed.
Thirsty both fuel and oil consumption; the oil consumption is at best 1 litre in 1000 miles, and can be worse. The petrol tank is silly small for such a thirsty car; in fact my cobra has a bigger range than an RX8!
On top of this the oil dipstick is hidden away at the back of the engine bay and its not as easy to fill as it should be bearing in mind youll be doing it a lot.
Very high emissions so high VED tax and company car tax rate.
Starting, Mazda reccomend you dont start it and then stop it without it getting to full running temp or it may not restart (they flood easily), so its not much use if you have to shunt cars on a drive for example.

I have noticed since that whenever I see one on the motorway its being driven pretty slowly (usually inside lane) says it all to me.

It would be a lovely car with Mazda's superb V6 in it, and there are quite a few people doing engine transplants in the states.

wilf
26-03-08, 06:18 PM
'eff all torque = extremely unrelaxing drive.

Same thing with the Honda S2000.

Is why I like cars with larger engines - I value my tranquility higher than the price of the fuel.:mrgreen:

dave
26-03-08, 06:49 PM
Somebody turned up at the drift day I go to and broke the gearbox on his first lap. And that was with wetted down polished tarmac.:(

dingocooke
27-03-08, 09:29 AM
Yep S2000 is just like RX8 in that its really great for a thrash, but pants for a longer drive where you might want to relax a little; one of my partners S2000 (full main agent serviced) threw a rod straight through the side of the block in 3rd at about 80mph; ignore the bullshit from honda saying theyve never had an engine failure.

spoonies
28-03-08, 09:01 AM
Hi
Owned one (231hp) for 18 months and 20k from new. Fab car to drive as long as you get used to the lack of torque. Once you get over 2000 revs its fine. From memory the 192 has slightly more torque at low revs, but only marginally and not enough to make any real difference.
Fine chassis and when you get a new one, Prodrive spend a day teaching you how to use it properly which for me was worth every penny of the depreciation!
Very useful when you have kids as the wife can still get two or three of them in in comfort also!
Oil consumption is 1 litre per 2-3k miles but it needs to be cheap old mineral based stuff, not synthetic, so cost is not realy an issue. It is a pain in the arse checking oil at every other fuel fill up though 'cos range on a tank is around 200 miles unless you're booting it!
Engine works most efficiently at sub 5000 revs, after that point 2nd injector opens up and fuel consumption imcreases!
Really enjoyed having ours, but eventually swapped it for a Jeep 'cos that's more practical and doesn't look ridiculous with a tow bar!
Colin